Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell has happened to Kilkee?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭jackboy

easypazz wrote: »

Supposing what you are saying is correct, what difference does it actually make to the quality of the produce, which was the original thrust of your grievance?

No difference really. It just makes it closer to being a shop than a restaurant. The pantry is fine.

The overall point I was making was that kilkee is not as good for food as most other west Clare towns. Most people I know would have the same opinion.

1. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

jackboy wrote: »
      One cake is cooked on premises, carrot cake I think. All others are delivered from Ennis.

All pantry cakes are cooked on the premises as far as I know.

2. Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

So the pantry fails because it gets some cakes from ennis.

Murphy blacks fails because the window was dirty.

Is the dirty window an ongoing problem?

The windows were dirty all the time I was there!

3. Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Athdara

The diamond rocks is very nice. The pantry gets the majority of its cakes delivered from Ennis, it’s ok I guess. The long dock and Morrisseys are better quality than the restaurants that you mentioned. The other towns in west Clare all have restaurants better than the kilkee ones.

This is all opinion of course. If you prefer kilkee that’s fair enough.

I can tell you emphatically that not one solitary cake in The Pantry comes from anywhere but from the kitchen upstairs.
      I have worked there and my job was baking & decorating all the cakes/ buns/pastries for sale.

Since I left someone else has taken over. The kitchen staff make all the tarts, breads are made in-house.
      Maybe you have assumed it’s baked off premises as you can see any kitchen. It’s all upstairs, a very compact, well managed kitchen ran by a Balkymaloe trained chef as well as two Home Economics teachers ( Owner has retired from teaching & her assistant ).
      I’m laughing here that anyone could think it was bought in. Every morning at 5.30/5.45 the lights go on in that kitchen and the first lot of scones are in the ovens within 10/15 minutes. It’s like a military operation.

4. Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭jackboy

Athdara wrote: »
      I can tell you emphatically that not one solitary cake in The Pantry comes from anywhere but from the kitchen upstairs.
      I have worked there and my job was baking & decorating all the cakes/ buns/pastries for sale.

Since I left someone else has taken over. The kitchen staff make all the tarts, breads are made in-house.
      Maybe you have assumed it’s baked off premises as you can see any kitchen. It’s all upstairs, a very compact, well managed kitchen ran by a Balkymaloe trained chef as well as two Home Economics teachers ( Owner has retired from teaching & her assistant ).
      I’m laughing here that anyone could think it was bought in. Every morning at 5.30/5.45 the lights go on in that kitchen and the first lot of scones are in the ovens within 10/15 minutes. It’s like a military operation.

Your probably correct about he scones and bread. They have been selling cakes delivered from Ennis in recent times. No big deal really.

5. Advertisement
    6. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Your probably correct about the scones and bread. They have been selling cakes delivered from Ennis in recent times. No big deal really.

It seems to be the sole basis for you running down the place. You are claiming it is only a shop now.

You need to cop onto yourself and stop whinging about this business, accept its a fine establishment and as good a café as anywhere else in west clare.

7. Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭jackboy

You need to cop onto yourself and stop whinging about this business, accept its a fine establishment and as good a café as anywhere else in west clare.

Have no problem with the place. Yes, I will admit saying it is closer to being a shop than a restaurant was going too far. I will certainly retract that.

8. Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Your probably correct about he scones and bread. They have been selling cakes delivered from Ennis in recent times. No big deal really.

they are not probably correct about the scones and bread, they are 100% correct, and same goes for all the cakes.

Your continuing to spoof even though you have been called out on it multiple times lends you no credibility.

from only the carrot cake is made on site to yera maybe most of it is in about 5 posts

But hey 'no big deal really'

9. Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

They simply can't, Kilkee has as good a food offering as anybody else.

Wouldn't agree myself either. Think lahinch, liscannor, ennistymon are way ahead of kilkee for food. Way ahead... Kilkees food offerring, and my last time there was May this year, is all a bit old skool...a bit 1990's.

But whatever does it for you.

10. Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Besides the main beach in Killkee, what's within 5/10 minutes is there any little coves or beaches close by that people might not know about. Things to explore with the kids etc

11. Advertisement
    12. Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Besides the main beach in Killkee, what's within 5/10 minutes is there any little coves or beaches close by that people might not know about. Things to explore with the kids etc

White strand beach is close enough as well. Think there is another big one near Doonbeg

https://goo.gl/maps/PZ173yAAfmR6pjLJ7

13. Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Doonaha is lovely as well and only a ten minute drive.

14. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

tototoe wrote: »
      Wouldn't agree myself either. Think lahinch, liscannor, ennistymon are way ahead of kilkee for food. Way ahead... Kilkees food offerring, and my last time there was May this year, is all a bit old skool...a bit 1990's.

But whatever does it for you.

Liscannor, are you for real?

Vaughans for restaurant level bar food.
      Joe McHughs for regular bar food
      Is there a chipper?
      Is there a café?
      The Moher Hotel does bar food I assume.

Not a lot of choice there.

Ennistymons first entry on tripadvisor is a lowly No. 62.

15. Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

mitresize5 wrote: »
      Doonaha is lovely as well and only a ten minute drive.

Looks like a nice little beach, safe for young ones?

16. Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Liscannor, are you for real?

Vaughans for restaurant level bar food.
      Joe McHughs for regular bar food
      Is there a chipper?
      Is there a café?
      The Moher Hotel does bar food I assume.

Not a lot of choice there.

Ennistymons first entry on tripadvisor is a lowly No. 62.

Yes for real. I meant the area. Lahinch, liscannor and ennistymon are a stone's throw away from each other. Taken together, there is a far better food offerri g to what is in the kilkee area.

My opinion, not really looking for agreement.

17. Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Cliff road drive from Kilkee to Carrigaholt is lovely. Way better than going to the Cliffs of Moher. You still see similar types of cliffs on a smaller scale but without the hordes of tourists and buses.

18. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

tototoe wrote: »
      Yes for real. I meant the area. Lahinch, liscannor and ennistymon are a stone's throw away from each other. Taken together, there is a far better food offerri g to what is in the kilkee area.

My opinion, not really looking for agreement.

A bit like the kilkee area including doonbeg, carrigaholt, kibaha and kilrush.

:rolleyes:

19. Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Looks like a nice little beach, safe for young ones?

yeah very safe, faces the estuary and the kids are never more than 20 metres away from you

20. Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

mitresize5 wrote: »
      yeah very safe, faces the estuary and the kids are never more than 20 metres away from you

What estuary?

21. Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mrsoundie wrote: »
      What estuary?

The Shannon estuary. Doonaha, like Carrigaholt, is situated on the River Shannon side of Loop Head.

22. Advertisement
    23. Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

The Shannon estuary. Doonaha, like Carrigaholt, is situated on the River Shannon side of Loop Head.

I was scratching my head thinking of what estuary is Kilkee on.

24. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

The Strand is a good spot for food. Menu hasn’t changed for ages but it is quality.

25. Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

John_Rambo wrote: »
      I'm not against slating a town, village or area, so I'm not going to slate Kilkee.

I holidayed there for a week and won't be returning.

That's all.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gardai-investigating-posters-threatening-holiday-home-owners-at-clare-resort-993175.html

I got a bad vibe around Kilkee when I was there, a certain unfriendliness and rudeness. I'm not really surprised at the latest carry on.

Shame Murphy Blacks closed down due to lack of local support, really nice people.

26. Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gardai-investigating-posters-threatening-holiday-home-owners-at-clare-resort-993175.html

I got a bad vibe around Kilkee when I was there, a certain unfriendliness and rudeness. I'm not really surprised at the latest carry on.

Shame Murphy Blacks closed down due to lack of local support, really nice people.

To be fair, the latest "carry on" isn't in the slightest reflective of the time you were there.

Kilkee people are grand, some of the business owners are top tier cu(n)ts though.

27. Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

JCX BXC wrote: »
      To be fair, the latest "carry on" isn't in the slightest reflective of the time you were there.

Kilkee people are grand, some of the business owners are top tier cu(n)ts though.

There's leaders and there's rats JCX. Leaders lead and unite, rats turn on each other in times of crisis.

28. Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

They closed down because the owhad had enough. They were well supported.

29. Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I find the fact that the majority of the locals are no longer invested in tourism, that there is a certain rough element attracted to Kilkee and the fact that those businesses which are seasonal have a lot of tired and aggressive owners means there is a distinct lack of welcome in the town.There also appears to be a poor self image among a lot of the locals.

30. Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Care to give examples of this "rudeness "?

31. Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Palmach wrote: »
      Care to give examples of this "rudeness "?

I have experienced it. I made a complaint in a restaurant. I was treated as if I was the cause of it, not a customer with a justified complaint.
      On another occasion I complained in a pub. I got a very hostile reaction. There seems to be a complete reluctance to accept a complain and deal with it. When there only a few choices about where to go in a town and some have to be struck off the list, it is hard to keep going back at all.

32. Advertisement
    33. Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

I have experienced it. I made a complaint in a restaurant. I was treated as if I was the cause of it, not a customer with a justified complaint.
      On another occasion I complained in a pub. I got a very hostile reaction. There seems to be a complete reluctance to accept a complain and deal with it. When there only a few choices about where to go in a town and some have to be struck off the list, it is hard to keep going back at all.

Hmmmm.......ok. I'll take it at face value but the numbers who return to Kilkee year after year are very high. There are many generations who go there.

Advertisement