Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I'd agree on the life of softer fruits from Aldi. Lidl is better.

The reason is quite simple.

Aldi have their fruit areas refrigerated. Whilst this prolongs the life in a refrigerated state, once it goes into your basket it's working hard at moving to room temperature.

By the time you get home, it's racing and even if you put it in the fridge, it takes while for it to stop the process. Thus it spoils a lot quicker.

Whereas any lidl I've been in, does not have a refrigerated display for soft fruit, thus its not changing condition when you put it in your basket and you can slow the ripening immediately when you put it in your fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,526 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

rubadub wrote: »
    Crucials garlic & herb sauce is back, says limited stock. 1.19

Where is it in the shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Where is it in the shop?

When I was in one today it was on top half of the first aisle of specials, opposite the vegetable display.

Also got full size bottles of french's mustard for 49c in the bottom end of the food specials

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Darc19 wrote: »
    Whereas any lidl I've been in, does not have a refrigerated display for soft fruit, thus its not changing condition when you put it in your basket and you can slow the ripening immediately when you put it in your fridge.
    Newer Lidl store designs have fridges for soft fruit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,526 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

When I was in one today it was on top half of the first aisle of specials, opposite the vegetable display.

Also got full size bottles of french's mustard for 49c in the bottom end of the food specials
    Thank you, I'll take a spin today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Brilliant shampoo. €2.50. There is conditioner aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Bought the zeropointzero sparkling non alcoholic rose the other day. Just was curious. Was actually really nice, feels like you’re having a nice drink in evenings when kids go to bed without actually having the alcohol. Comes in a proper bottle with pop cork, and the metal twist holding it in just like a proper champagne.
    Good for celebrations for people who don’t drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Where is it in the shop?

In specials like the other poster said, stupid that it is not with the ketchups and garlic mayo etc, think they have their own garlic & herb sauce. Last time it was in stock it was in a totally different place beside cake decoration stuff.

There was chlli & garlic crucials too.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Their rich tea / digestive biscuits are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    Their rich tea / digestive biscuits are very good.

The milk chocolate ones are too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Discodog wrote: »
    The milk chocolate ones are too.
    and remarkable cheap, as they are in other supermarkets too.

As a kid chocolate digestives were a rare enough treat, they were relatively expensive and we would have rich tea and other fairly plain biscuits in the house which I would not be bothered much with, the likes of fig rolls or plain digestives.

tesco chocolate digestives are €1.30 per kilo, tesco rich tea are 90cent per kilo. This is meant to be due to price matching. I saw tesco garibaldi biscuits which were relatively cheap years back but at €6 per kilo they seem outrageously priced for tesco own brand biscuits. Tesco fig rolls are €4 per kilo.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In the 1930s my mother would be sent to the shop with an empty jar and they'd fill it up with broken biscuits (the broken ones were cheaper)

We've come on a bit since then!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Have the frozen sweet potato fries disappeared for anyone else? Haven't had them for weeks in my local. They were handy and delicious!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

And talking about disapeared....

Those merguez sausages were quite hard to find but did they up the challenge to find them or are they just not there anymore?
    None of my 3 frequently visited Aldi's (who all 3 stored them at different spots) have them anymore which makes me sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

In the 1930s my mother would be sent to the shop with an empty jar and they'd fill it up with broken biscuits (the broken ones were cheaper)

We're going back to that, sort of, with fruit and veg. Less waste.

I can see this catching on. ASDA, Lidl UK and Alsi UK are doing it.

Asda trials 'wonky veg' boxes in response to Jamie Oliver challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 30,310 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Iceland sells a box of broken biscuits!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

Proteins - drained Tuna,Cod fillets (frozen), 5% lean beef, chicken fillets, Salmon fillets (lovely), Sushi (Unreal, half price of Supervalu), Protein Milk, Eggs, Skimmed milk
    Carbs - Brown rice, Brown pasta, Almonds,
    Veggies - Asparagus, Broccoli, Frozen Mix Veg, Ready made Salad bowls, Spinach
    Fruit - Bananas, Red Apple, Kiwi

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Monumental

Roll on the 60's broken biscuits were such a treat from the local grocer if your mum had the funds ,if you were lucky enough to know someone from the biscuit factory ,every Friday was a treat day Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

My mam used to work for Jacobs in the factory, only leaving to start a family. Once we came home to find a bag of broken biscuits left at our front door by one of her friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭donegal_man

The vegan "no beef burgers" in the freezer are delicious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Aldi Nutgrove has just been refurbished (first time I saw it yesterday anyway), I hate everything about it.
    I've been doing vat majority of my appoint Aldi for years, but if this is the way they are going to 'upgrade' all shops, I might have to reconsider Lidl.
    I still do most of my Aldi shop on Sandyford, which hasn't changed (yet?) thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Aldi Nutgrove has just been refurbished (first time I saw it yesterday anyway), I hate everything about it.
    I've been doing vat majority of my appoint Aldi for years, but if this is the way they are going to 'upgrade' all shops, I might have to reconsider Lidl.
    I still do most of my Aldi shop on Sandyford, which hasn't changed (yet?) thankfully.

What have they changed? Is it that drastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭Ryath

Yea the layout is very different. It's been switched around a lot I'd nearly say it's illogical. I liked the old layout I knew where everything was and could get everything in one lap. I often find I have to go double back to get something I missed in the newer one.

I'm sure I'll get used to it but at the moment I mostly shop in two different stores, one that has been updated so harder get used to it. Lidl have done the same in some of their new stores but it's not as drastic a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

What have they changed? Is it that drastic?

A lot of things moved around, new shelving and fridge units.
    Result is somewhere between Tesco and Lidl, and to me strips away all the simplicity of Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You'll get used to it eventually, but it's not logical at all.

The fresh chips, funky monkey spices, Ballyvourney puddings, Mama Bear foods sauce, bespoke pizza based and some kind of natural drink are the six items chosen to be on the shelves for the next year.(From want I know)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Nutgrove is my regular shop. The upgrade is done a good while now. You will get used to it if in frequently. It is small enough to get about if you have to backtrack... trouble might be finding an assistant to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

The fresh chips, funky monkey spices, Ballyvourney puddings, Mama Bear foods sauce, bespoke pizza based and some kind of natural drink are the six items chosen to be on the shelves for the next year.(From want I know)

Those chips were amazing if they're the ones I'm thinking of!

EDIT: Yes they are, the Walls Honest Chips - they were amazing.

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    A lot of things moved around, new shelving and fridge units.
    Result is somewhere between Tesco and Lidl, and to me strips away all the simplicity of Aldi.

Personally I think they ruined our local Aldi when they did it up.
    You used be able to nip in and out and even skip an isle to get the basics. Now you've to go on a big walk around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭donegal_man

...You used be able to nip in and out and even skip an isle to get the basics. Now you've to go on a big walk around it.

And right there is the reason for remodeling the stores

Advertisement