Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

rubadub wrote: »
    The 3 types of brioche buns seem to be gone, thought they were sold out but could see no space for them, these are the burger, seeded burger and hot dog buns.

There are seeded brioche buns but they are 80g and very bready, nothing at all like the others, they are also not long life like the others.

Hopefully just stock from the store gone / didn't come in.
    I got some there at the weekend from East Wall store.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Debub

60 cents and 2mins in the microwave is handier for the odd times I eat rice.

Gotcha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Not when I'm finished with them.

Apt username!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Were the vegan burgers only a special? Seem to be gone from Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

If anyone spots high vs jackets for large dogs in any Aldi store in Cork city/County can u please post here. Have been to 3 with no luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭.red.

fin12 wrote: »
    If anyone spots high vs jackets for large dogs in any Aldi store in Cork city/County can u please post here. Have been to 3 with no luck.

I would imagine all the pet stores would have them? Might be €1/2 more expensive but saves driving around looking.
    Pet Store in Kinsale Rd and Maxi Zoo Ballincollig would both be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Got a Burito bowl in here from Nutriquick. 3 mins in the microwave.

Quiet tasty, more of a healthy meal, but for €3.50 you can't go wrong. Would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The 3 types of brioche buns seem to be gone, thought they were sold out but could see no space for them, these are the burger, seeded burger and hot dog buns.
    whiskeyman wrote: »
    Hopefully just stock from the store gone / didn't come in.
    I got some there at the weekend from East Wall store.
    The standard burger ones were in stock in 2 aldis near me, no seeded or hotdog ones and no sign of space for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

The standard burger ones were in stock in 2 aldis near me, no seeded or hotdog ones and no sign of space for them.

I think in other years the fancier buns were usually only sold in summer and not stocked over the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

They had them in Aldi, Belgard Road, this week. I'm eating one right now, with a chicken thigh burger, nom nom.

• Advertisement

_Godot_ wrote: »
    Is the toilet paper any good and what price is it usually?

Saxon Softest quilted 4 ply is good. Less than a fiver for 9. Better then Cushelle or Andrex, in my opinion, which have both gone very thin.

Kitchen towels are good too.

Aldi have unfortunately changed the recipe of their rice range.

Old stuff was very nice - as good as Uncle Ben's.

New stuff hasn't got a great texture and is clumpy

Its the same with the 99c tray type too, definitely not as good as the old type they stocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Has anyone tried the buttermilk fish burgers? Every time I am in there I pick them up but leave them back at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Has anyone tried the buttermilk fish burgers? Every time I am in there I pick them up but leave them back at the last minute.

Had them a while back, they're grand, pretty much what you'd expect. Be careful not to overcook them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Crucials garlic & herb is back.

noImageAvailable&resMode=sharp2&id=SF0R33&fmt=jpg&fit=constrain,1&wid=280&hei=280

There are seeded brioche buns but they are 80g and very bready, nothing at all like the others, they are also not long life like the others.

Is that good? I am trying to find a good alternative to the Dominos garlic and herb dip, for when we do our own pizzas, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

mystic86 wrote: »
    Is that good? I am trying to find a good alternative to the Dominos garlic and herb dip, for when we do our own pizzas, thanks.
    I got it recently, having seen so much about it on here.

It's only alright..... slightly artificial taste off it, certainly nowhere nearly as good as a fresly mixed garlic/herb mayo. But handy to have in the fridge (as long as it lasts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I went looking for a supermarket version of takeaway/chipper garlic sauce last year - I tried about a dozen garlic sauces, both shop-bought and homemade and the closest I've found is Hellman's Garlic Chilli sauce:

z5B03wZ.jpg

The crucial's garlic and herb is pretty decent but the hellman's is better imo

Aldi sometimes have it as a special for about 1.15 too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Has anybody seen the small jars of almond butter there recently? It’s delicous and went to pick up another jar last week and no sign of it in my local Aldi, tried again this week and nothing, I hope they haven’t taken it off the market

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I love it, got plenty of good reviews here and anybody I know who tried it liked it.
    B0jangles wrote: »
    The crucial's garlic and herb is pretty decent but the hellman's is better imo
    thats a garlic & chilli sauce with no herbs though (at least ingredients list no herbs), while I often add sriracha chilli sauce to the crucials I usually have it without. The crucials one is quite runny, a little thicker than the pizza dips you get from takeaways. Chipper garlic sauces tend to be thicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Personally I didn't care for it and ended up throwing out the bottle I bought - much prefer this one, think its what Four Star use https://www.amazon.co.uk/Harrisons-Garlic-Herb-Sauce-300ml/dp/B07212F1K1/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Esse85 wrote: »
    Got a Burito bowl in here from Nutriquick. 3 mins in the microwave.

Quiet tasty, more of a healthy meal, but for €3.50 you can't go wrong. Would highly recommend.

I second this, picked up a beef one yesterday on a whim, had it at lunch time today, definitely be picking up again, I imagine they would be ok cold too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Bought a new wine from aldi, its called DAO from Portugal, €8 and its very nice.

Still loving their other Portuguese red, Animus, but its nice to have another good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

SozBbz wrote: »
    Bought a new wine from aldi, its called DAO from Portugal, €8 and its very nice.

Still loving their other Portuguese red, Animus, but its nice to have another good option.

I haven't seen the Animus red in a while in my local aldis :(

The white is there alright, but it's gone far too wintry for white now.

Must keep an eye out for that other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I haven't seen the Animus red in a while in my local aldis :(

The white is there alright, but it's gone far too wintry for white now.

Must keep an eye out for that other one.

Oh thats weird, I've been able to get it consistently in the few Aldis I frequent (Sandyford and Nutgrove mainly).

Theres also a reserva version of it around now, I tried it and its nice, but not sure if its worth it, namely because the regular one is so good.

Like yourself, I've largely gone off the white wines for winter now.

This is what the Dao bottle looks like for reference; https://www.aldi.co.uk/gym-dão-red/p/014600293506300

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

I second this, picked up a beef one yesterday on a whim, had it at lunch time today, definitely be picking up again, I imagine they would be ok cold too.

Whereabouts are these in the store?

Are they with the sushi/sandwiches or somewhere in the chill fridges?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Ready meal chilled section beside the other nutriquick stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I FINALLY got my hands on a jar!!!
    Far nicer than ballymaloe it's gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

SozBbz wrote: »
    Oh thats weird, I've been able to get it consistently in the few Aldis I frequent (Sandyford and Nutgrove mainly).

Theres also a reserva version of it around now, I tried it and its nice, but not sure if its worth it, namely because the regular one is so good.

Like yourself, I've largely gone off the white wines for winter now.

This is what the Dao bottle looks like for reference; https://www.aldi.co.uk/gym-dão-red/p/014600293506300

Just tried it, I thought its barely any better than the "Baron" brand at half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Chicken Satay Skewers w/ Satay Sauce in the freezer section down from the pizzas. Delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

tried first time rib eye stakes, for the cost and flavor plus easy to prep on the whim, was nicely surprised, seen it mentioned a lot, but def one of the better quality meats. Plus love their garlic butter.

Advertisement