Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS Walrus Reveal Thread

Options

Comments

Necro wrote: »
    6th Place - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Into My Arms

Necro: This one actually grew on me after a bad start. My first listen had it down the bottom, I found it a bit boring and pointless. But after three or four listens it’s improving each time. It’s got a nice message, Cave’s voice is decent if a bit meh. - and I mean that in the nicest possible way, cos my own singing tone(not voice, I'm not that arrogant lol) is of a similar style. But I don’t hate it, and that’s a good thing, I think? :D

Stu Redman: Look, although I don't sh1t in peoples eyes/ears by constantly posting or talking about it, I'm pretty much firmly somewhere on the atheist-agnostic scale as an adult. Even angry when I think about religion too much and the recent history of the Catholic Church in our country (only for a good family who stood their ground, the nuns would have had me off to foster parents in the early 80s because my mother was young and unmarried when she had me.)

All that said, 'God', this great, all-seeing and powerful being and the lore have served as inspiration and a pallet of themes for some of the most wonderful music composed over the centuries. There's the old, epic and technical, like Handel's Messiah, then there's the intimacy of Nick Cave at a piano using the Lord to get his love across for a human. This is beautiful. A composition like this, it would be easy just to throw in a hifalutin string quartet in for the sake of it, maybe in the final verse. That would be to go with the textbook. Nope, not needed to get that longing and emotion across in this song. It's just Nick's voice, a piano and a bass guitar from beginning to end. The tone of his voice is just silk to me here.

Scores
    Necro: 11th
    Stu: 2nd

12 points to

Deleted User

Another big difference in second place choices, this time my side:cool: Soz Homer!

I could have easily picked this song if I thought about it more. Love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Well done Mick :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ok, so the admin stuff just to draw this chap to a close:

Best Song In The World Scoring:

Ranking Entry Combined Scores Walrus Score Entrant
    1 Like A Stone 32 17 MicksJaguar
    2 Silver Springs 28 16 Tammy!
    3 One 27 15 fixxxer
    4 Bohemian Rhapsody 26 14 Kolido
    5 Suite: Clouds, Rain 25 13 Pretzill
    6 Into My Arms 23 12 Homer J. Fong
    7 Moving 21 11 Green&Red
    8 Recreate 17 10 sullivlo
    9 I Appear Missing 17 9 Banjo
    10 Need You Now 16 8 kitten_k
    11 One Day Like This 15 7 Mollyb60
    12 Wichita Lineman 14 6 osh
    13 Nice Weather For Ducks 14 5 Electric Nitwit
    14 Fistful Of Love 11 4 partyjungle
    15 California 9 3 Sheridan81
    16 This Is A Low 6 2 Rikand
    17 Je Vole 5 1 Barney92

Tammy! wrote: »
    Yay! Cheers lads! I've been listening to that song since I was a teenager and I just never get tired of it. I was thinking it wouldn't do well because it really is towards the end that grabs you! I especially appreciate ye taking the time to listen to that one :)

This is actually the YouTube version I prefer and there's another ballad version..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PEFu7odFviU

I remember reading somewhere it was meant to be on the original Rumours album but was excluded from it over tensions within the band and added as a bside to Go Your Own Way which Lyndsey wrote about her! I think Stevie Nicks had assigned the rights of the song to her mother as a gift, something like that. Anyway that song caused a major rifts in the band for years!

Could be that alright, but they said they had to cut it because there was no room left for another song on the vinyl for Rumours.

I definitely prefer that live version from The Dance over the original, but either way "Silver Springs is a great ol' song".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Well done Micks and to the top 3 - some great tracks tonight which I need to catch up on.

Thanks Stu and Necro for jointly respecting the music even if you have slightly divergent tastes.

Really enjoyed this Walrus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Final Combined Scoring Table: (if someone wants to make this all interactive and sh1t fire ahead :D )

Name Ballad of Chasey Lain Irish Songs A Song For Europe Forever Young Lord/Lady of The Dance Best Song In The World Total
    Tammy! 17 16 4 16 2 16 71
    Kolido 16 13 17 17 14 14 91
    fixxxer 15 2 15 6 4 15 57
    Barney92 14 3 14 14 1 1 47
    Banjo 13 11 7 15 15 9 69
    sullivlo 12 4 14 9 5 10 54
    Electric Nitwit 11 17 9 3 11 5 56
    Mollyb60 10 6 12 5 8 7 48
    partyjungle 9 13 15 4 16 4 62
    osh 8 8 6 7 13 6 48
    Pretzill 7 9 10 8 10 13 57
    Green&Red 6 15 13 2 3 11 50
    kitten_k 5 5 14 12 17 8 61
    Homer J. Fong 4 12 8 13 5 12 54
    Rikand 3 10 5 7 12 2 39
    MicksJaguar 2 7 16 10 9 17 61
    Sheridan81 1 14 11 11 7 3 47

• Registered Users Posts: 10,780 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Congrats Mick!

Only caught the last few, once I got control of the TV back, I'll have to catch up on them all tomorrow

Cheers for running guys, thought the twin judge structure worked really well :)

And finally, our ranked scoring table:

Name Score
    Kolido 91
    Tammy! 71
    Banjo 69
    partyjungle 62
    kitten_k 61
    MicksJaguar 61
    Pretzill 57
    fixxxer 57
    Electric Nitwit 56
    sullivlo 54
    Homer J. Fong 54
    Green&Red 50
    osh 48
    Mollyb60 48
    Sheridan81 47
    Barney92 47
    Rikand 39

Congrats to the winner Kolido with a massive 91 points!!

2nd Place goes to Tammy! in the end, 71 points in her first Walrus is a fantastic effort

And in 3rd we have Banjo - again a first time entrant!

Rikand gets the wooden spoon but has our love :)

Thanks for all the entries folks, it's been a wild ride. One I'm not sure I'll be repeating any time soon, but an enjoyable one nonetheless.

Thanks a bunch to my co-judge Stu Redman for enduring endless WhatsApps and PMs for the contest.

And that's it folks, that's a wrap from me!

The table isn't running in order on mobile view but big congrats to Kolido for being lead Walrus!!

ETA: I can read it now - cross-post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,780 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Well done Kolido, monster score!
    And well done to Mrs Redman in second ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Final Combined Scoring Table: (if someone wants to make this all interactive and sh1t fire ahead :D )

in table tag change table to
    table="head"

thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Thanks Electric :)

Well done Kolido. Good game :)

sKeith wrote: »
    in table tag change table to
    table="head"

thats it.

Thanks! Done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Fourth Place: Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
    Stu Redman: Never heard this before but I'm instantly liking it :D

Ah it's BR, undoubtedly this round's cheat code. I haven't put the headphones on and listened to it in a while, so did that for this round just like with all the other entries. It really is a masterpiece and sonically as perfect as you can get. This was on my Leaving Cert music course alongside Tchaikovsky as far back as the late 90s and early 00s and with good cause as a piece of music to study. It's not my favorite Queen song let alone favorite song in the world, but probably one of those songs you could get most people in a sample size to agree that it could be submitted to the Intergalactic Federation of Planets as an example of some of humanity's finest music

Ha so either you sat your leaving in 2001 or was it 3 years after that the pieces cycled round? I had these pieces too. I fell in love with Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet that year. I've gone to see it be performed any time I see it's on since then. Maybe I should've submitted that instead of Elbow.
    The John Barry one still haunts me. If there was a Walrus for worst music ever I'd submit that song.

Wooo hoooo my 1st 1st in a walrus category, sorry I'd to miss it had to drive to Galway and back this evening.

I really do love that song and lots of his other works too, I cant wax lyrical about stuff like stu but what he said :D

Cheers for the great game guys was lots of fun and took me down a mini Eurovision rabbit hole.

And well done Kolido.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Poor Rikand.

Pendantic: It's a whammy effect, not a wah Necro, tut :D

:D And I'll leave this here for you Stu my good friend.

Tut, indeed :pac:

Finally, and probably most importantly...

Best Song in The World Playlist :)

17th: Je Vole - Louane

No song is ever last - Barney this song is like the daughter's response to this, except many, many years later. This is what I was talking about earlier and a song that imo could have also fitted in as one of the best in the world...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Thanks for a great first Walrus chaps and congrats on the win, Kolido!

• Advertisement

Good show all round folks, really enjoyed that. Thanks for all your entries, I definitely have some new avenues for listening and that was mostly the point of all this for me. Also, me being a Werewolf-only head up until this, it was great to interact with members of FG who I don't see in WW. Even my fellow Werewolfians, nice to interact here with you in a less pressure environment.

Thanks to Necro for being a great co-runner, as per usual. We'll be back in 2020 with a few more StuCro joints for you to toke on (StuCro is not settled upon, plus we have to fit 'quickbeam' into the mix as well :pac:)

Well done to Kolido on a pretty decisive win, there's no arguing with that really. Top stuff.

Unfortunately, and I think Tammy might agree with me here, our final song of agreement being a Stevie Nicks/Lyndsey Buckingham composition is the universe's way of telling us "Don't pursue this, there is nothing there but misery" :D
    Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Ha so either you sat your leaving in 2001 or was it 3 years after that the pieces cycled round? I had these pieces too. I fell in love with Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet that year. I've gone to see it be performed any time I see it's on since then. Maybe I should've submitted that instead of Elbow.
    The John Barry one still haunts me. If there was a Walrus for worst music ever I'd submit that song.

Yep, 2001, alllll those years ago. There were 4 pieces weren't there? Queen, Romeo and Juliet, that Barry atrocity and something else? Romeo and Juliet is class, really enjoyed doing that and Bohemian Rhapsody for the LC. We even went to the NCH to see a performance of Romeo and Juliet.

Just out of interest, I've gone and listened to that Barry piece for the first time in 18 years to see if I feel any differently about it now...

Oh god, time has done nothing for it. It still sounds like an orchestra tuning or warming up. There's your musical **** right there Mol!

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Poor Rikand.

Yeah, good ol' Rikand the Bringer of Walrus, but I'm sorry - 'This is a Low' is funny now in retrospect. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Still listening to the Ducky song :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Yep, 2001, alllll those years ago. There were 4 pieces weren't there? Queen, Romeo and Juliet, that Barry atrocity and something else? Romeo and Juliet is class, really enjoyed doing that and Bohemian Rhapsody for the LC. We even went to the NCH to see a performance of Romeo and Juliet.

Just out of interest, I've gone and listened to that Barry piece for the first time in 18 years to see if I feel any differently about it now...

Oh god, time has done nothing for it. It still sounds like an orchestra tuning or warming up. There's your musical **** right there Mol!

This may actually be the beginning of me calling things musical ****. I despised that song. It was just cats wailing and fingernails on a chalkboard all at once.

Don't actually remember the 4th piece either now that you mention it. There was definitely 4 anyway.... Just went and looked it up. It was Bach's Jesu, der du meine Seele. I quite liked that piece too actually. But it obviously wasn't memorable.

I remember I took a notion for the performance piece and played 'Can you feel the love tonight' by Elton John on the piano. My music teacher spent many an evening pulling her hair out over that choice. Lol. I think I performed Scott Joplin's 'The Entertainer' too. And I've a feeling there was a third piece but I can't remember that either.
    Thank god for LC music. It got me out of many a PE class at school. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Great song choice mick, well done on that round.

Delighted to have finished top, but everyone here is a winner for sharing their music? I feel I cheated the system a bit with picking established songs, but tbh, that's the music I listen to, I don't know many smaller acts that not many have heard of. The great thing about walrus is discovering new music.

Nerco and Stu, great job guys, a stellar delivery and showmanship as always. The double act worked really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Any chance of the play lists for all the rounds being put in one post? Am in work and can’t really go scrolling back.

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c897397b7c04e2ec6728690478733f1730197cfaeca3&rid=giphy.gif

Kolido wrote: »
    Great song choice mick, well done on that round.

Delighted to have finished top, but everyone here is a winner for sharing their music? I feel I cheated the system a bit with picking established songs, but tbh, that's the music I listen to, I don't know many smaller acts that not many have heard of. The great thing about walrus is discovering new music.

Nerco and Stu, great job guys, a stellar delivery and showmanship as always. The double act worked really well.

I was very surprised that the last round didn’t contain a lot more well known songs

kitten_k wrote:
    Any chance of the play lists for all the rounds being put in one post? Am in work and can’t really go scrolling back.

Just going to do that now actually. Are you a psychic kitten :eek:

The Ballad of Chasey Lain

Favourite Irish Songs

A Song for Europe

Forever Young

Lord/Lady Of The Dance

Best Song In The World

A friendly mod might add these into the OP now we're all done here. Looking forward to Molly and ALC's Walrus coming up soon :D

Thanks Necro that’s my Friday listening sorted

• Advertisement

Good show all round folks, really enjoyed that. Thanks for all your entries, I definitely have some new avenues for listening and that was mostly the point of all this for me. Also, me being a Werewolf-only head up until this, it was great to interact with members of FG who I don't see in WW. Even my fellow Werewolfians, nice to interact here with you in a less pressure environment.

Thanks to Necro for being a great co-runner, as per usual. We'll be back in 2020 with a few more StuCro joints for you to toke on (StuCro is not settled upon, plus we have to fit 'quickbeam' into the mix as well :pac:)

Well done to Kolido on a pretty decisive win, there's no arguing with that really. Top stuff.

Unfortunately, and I think Tammy might agree with me here, our final song of agreement being a Stevie Nicks/Lyndsey Buckingham composition is the universe's way of telling us "Don't pursue this, there is nothing there but misery" :D

Yeah, good ol' Rikand the Bringer of Walrus, but I'm sorry - 'This is a Low' is funny now in retrospect. :pac:
    Mollyb60 wrote: »
    This may actually be the beginning of me calling things musical ****. I despised that song. It was just cats wailing and fingernails on a chalkboard all at once.

Don't actually remember the 4th piece either now that you mention it. There was definitely 4 anyway.... Just went and looked it up. It was Bach's Jesu, der du meine Seele. I quite liked that piece too actually. But it obviously wasn't memorable.

I remember I took a notion for the performance piece and played 'Can you feel the love tonight' by Elton John on the piano. My music teacher spent many an evening pulling her hair out over that choice. Lol. I think I performed Scott Joplin's 'The Entertainer' too. And I've a feeling there was a third piece but I can't remember that either.
    Thank god for LC music. It got me out of many a PE class at school. :cool:

How could you forget my boy Johann Sebastian Bach

Advertisement