Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS Walrus Reveal Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

8th Place: Urban Rescue - Recreate

Necro: I love this refreshingly up tempo song with a chorus that’s simple yet effective. Felt myself spreading my arms out wide and singing along on multiple occasions. Great choice, I loved it. All together now - Captivate, Resonate…..

Stu Redman: No, sorry, I could barely do Christian Rock with Creed and Lifehouse, but Christian Pop? Not the desired effect for this round, but it just makes me laugh and think of this -

8GiySvg.jpg?1

Starts well with the synths but the song quickly loses me after that. I don't feel too bad about ranking this down low, Necro's gonna love it I think (someone who creates a Eurovision Round definitely will love the positive energy!) and it will probably do much better in the overall rankings, unfortunately :D

Scores
    Necro: 2nd
    Stu: 17th

10 points to

her modjesty, sullivlo

My second place song, is Stu's least favorite this category :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Also jesus am I that predictable Stu :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,780 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Necro wrote: »
    Scores
    Necro: 2nd
    Stu: 17th

Wowser!

Also jesus am I that predictable Stu :eek:

It was just a hunch based on the Eurovision round :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

That’s a big difference!

• Advertisement

7th: Moving - Supergrass

Stu:
    This song turned my head upon release. Up until then, Supergrass were that fun band who are 'Alright' and 'Pumping on your Stereo'. This song was a completely different beast though, such a mature offering from the creators of those previously mentioned Summer boppers. Yep, I really loved this song back in the day and it reminds me of going to see Oasis and Supergrass in Landsdowne Road in Summer 00. When we were walking onto the pitch, Supergrass had just started playing this song. That prompted a swift movement from me to get up as close as I could to try and rock out to this song.

Listening to it now for the first time in years, I still quite like it. Those chords are just not your meat and potatoes stuff, and they flow together so well to convey the displaced theme of the song. Lyrically, this was clearly their 'tired of the road' song and as far as those songs go which there are many of, it's quite a good. Simple but effective - "Been moving so long, the days all feel the same". Also, as much as I like my song intros, I do have a fondness for songs where the vocal comes in on the song's first beat. With the croony 'Moooving' over that breezy chord, this is a good one.

Necro: Slow start to this one, but it really kicks in with the chorus which I like a lot. I used to listen to Supergrass a good bit but I've literally forgotten almost all of their stuff so this was a nice trip down memory lane. Funnily enough the original version submitted got taken down from YouTube so I had to add in the official video. Cool entry though.

Scores

Stu: 8th
    Necro: 7th

Overall:
    11 points to
    Green&Red

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

sullivlo wrote: »
    I love this song. It's what Leinster play when they win a trophy. Happy times.
    I did not know that!!

It's a pity the song didn't grab you guys. The Seldom Seen Kid is a fantastic album and there's so many good songs on it. They lost a bit of the glamour for me after this album and I do prefer their older stuff but I'd still go see them in a heartbeat.

I don't care, I unashamedly love that Urban Rescue song. It just grabbed me from the beginning. Thanks for the entry sully :P

Good song G&R, looking forward to next year's gigs?

6th Place - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Into My Arms

Necro: This one actually grew on me after a bad start. My first listen had it down the bottom, I found it a bit boring and pointless. But after three or four listens it’s improving each time. It’s got a nice message, Cave’s voice is decent if a bit meh. - and I mean that in the nicest possible way, cos my own singing tone(not voice, I'm not that arrogant lol) is of a similar style. But I don’t hate it, and that’s a good thing, I think? :D

Stu Redman: Look, although I don't sh1t in peoples eyes/ears by constantly posting or talking about it, I'm pretty much firmly somewhere on the atheist-agnostic scale as an adult. Even angry when I think about religion too much and the recent history of the Catholic Church in our country (only for a good family who stood their ground, the nuns would have had me off to foster parents in the early 80s because my mother was young and unmarried when she had me.)

All that said, 'God', this great, all-seeing and powerful being and the lore have served as inspiration and a pallet of themes for some of the most wonderful music composed over the centuries. There's the old, epic and technical, like Handel's Messiah, then there's the intimacy of Nick Cave at a piano using the Lord to get his love across for a human. This is beautiful. A composition like this, it would be easy just to throw in a hifalutin string quartet in for the sake of it, maybe in the final verse. That would be to go with the textbook. Nope, not needed to get that longing and emotion across in this song. It's just Nick's voice, a piano and a bass guitar from beginning to end. The tone of his voice is just silk to me here.

Scores
    Necro: 11th
    Stu: 2nd

12 points to

Deleted User

Another big difference in second place choices, this time my side:cool: Soz Homer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I desperately wanted to like the Blur track if that helps :D

I appreciate that

But having said that, I also hope we never end up back at house party together where you are the one picking the tunes :)

[Not just for Oasis, but pretty much everything!]

Apart from that, I think you're great <3

Two great songs the last two songs it has to be said though :)

I am firmly in Stu's camp with Into My Arms, that's a wonderful choice Homer :)

Up next, Stu will be kicking off our Top

IllegalAromaticCicada-size_restricted.gif

A similar difference in opinion coming up next Necro. :pac:

Top 5 hype ladies and gentleman.

Still to come are
    competition frontrunners Kolido and Tammy
    :eek:

5th: Suite; Clouds and Rain - David Gates

Stu:
    God damn Jimmy, this is some serious gourmayyyyyyyy shít! Usually, me and Necro would be happy with some freeze-dried Listeners Choice, but you spring this serious gourmet shít on us! What flavour is this?

Ah I just love it. I was liking it, and then the love blossomed once the song opened up with its first change at the introduction of the drums. It's certainly a suite, it delivers that and more with its few different movements. Does it do it just for the sake of it though? Does Jimmy fling the kitchen sink in while making us the gourmet shít? No, he does not. Those synths in the song's final section, fffúck, I now know what my October downtime project is :D

This is just too good. Never heard the song or the artist before, this could be the discovery of the game for me. Anyway, it's exactly what this round is about. No, of course no one is going to seriously declare the best song in the world here, and we're not going to find it in such a beautifully subjective thing, but I want to fully believe and understand why someone else thinks that about their own submission. This song makes me believe. This round is the first time I've heard this song, but I will be listening to it for the rest of my life.

Necro:
    So this one was a bit slow and meandering and then picked up nicely in the middle. First time I heard it I was thinking it was going to be low in the table but the way it rises and rises in tempo and crescendos with some epic keyboard work, left me wanting to relisten again and yeah, its wound up here for me.

Scores

Stu: 1st (and real winner:D)
    Necro: 10th (Philistine!)

Overall
    13 points to
    Pretzil Supreme

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I don't care, I unashamedly love that Urban Rescue song. It just grabbed me from the beginning. Thanks for the entry sully :P

Me too. It's so catchy and upbeat. It popped into my head immediately as a potential entry. I didn't know it was Christian pop when I first heard it, it was only after I fell in love with the song that I googled it.

I found it as it was background music to a wedding video of a friend-of-a-friend.

Glad you liked it necro.

Suck it, stu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

"And lower mid table Pretzill gets her highest place of this Walrus..."

My inner voice :)

Rikand wrote: »
    I appreciate that

But having said that, I also hope we never end up back at house party together where you are the one picking the tunes :)

[Not just for Oasis, but pretty much everything!]

Apart from that, I think you're great <3

I pick floorfillers I'll have you know!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

...and Stu you are a true music connissuer. Necro you're slightly dead to me... :)

Actual voice

• Advertisement

I pick floorfillers I'll have you know!! :D

<3

Fourth Place: Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

Necro: Is there any way for a novice music reviewer in a contest like Walrus to convincingly tell anyone something they don’t already know about this absolute masterpiece? Anything? Nope, didn’t think so. It really is one of the greatest songs of all time.

Stu Redman: Never heard this before but I'm instantly liking it :D

Ah it's BR, undoubtedly this round's cheat code. I haven't put the headphones on and listened to it in a while, so did that for this round just like with all the other entries. It really is a masterpiece and sonically as perfect as you can get. This was on my Leaving Cert music course alongside Tchaikovsky as far back as the late 90s and early 00s and with good cause as a piece of music to study. It's not my favorite Queen song let alone favorite song in the world, but probably one of those songs you could get most people in a sample size to agree that it could be submitted to the Intergalactic Federation of Planets as an example of some of humanity's finest music.

Scores
    Necro: 5th
    Stu: 5th

14 points to

Kolido making that 6/6 in top 5 submissions!

Which means we are moving into our top 3 next :eek:

Final 3 songs for our Walrus :( *sniffles*

Final Top 3 hype for
    fixxxer
    MicksJaguar
    Tammy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Rikand wrote: »
    I was asked for my favourite song of all time and I gave it :) You cant please everyone :D

I love The Low. Remember them doing it at EP a few years ago. It was a highlight of the weekend.

3rd: One - Metallica

Stu:
    I'm not the greatest fan of the S+M version which I received, because the original is already a masterpiece and it doesn't need the S+M treatment to shine. It doesn't need all the S+M...wankery, ahem. What an epic anti-war metal roust though. Black Sabbath have War Pigs, Metallica have this, I love both and would have rated both highly in such a round as this. The original video for One gave me nightmares too...just beautiful, the effect you want with such a song.

Necro:
    The problem with giving me 8 minute epics is that it's very hard to try and listen to all 17 songs multiple times. You have to make sure I'm going to love it or it will likely suffer.. So just as well this is frickin awesome. And totally worth multiple replays. See for me the difference between this and Orion is that I'm not just listening to a bunch of guys looking across the room at each other winking (yes, winking) and showing off their big instruments. I can get on board with an orchestra, I can get on board with the lyrics here and not just tut and sigh and wonder have the lads finished fornicating with their guitars yet. Compare One and Orion and tell me I'm wrong, I dare you!

Scores

Stu: 6th
    Necro: 3rd

Overall:
    15 points to
    fixxxer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Call of Cthulhu was the only track that benefited from the S&M treatment, i felt. But still a classic

Fleetwood Mac - Silver Springs

Necro: I love me some Fleetwood Mac, and oddly - I’d never heard this song. Initially I was looking at the screen a bit perplexed with the beginning of this, but boy did it end up brilliant. This was right up at the top of my list all along and only 3 songs above being different levels of awesome really pushed it down tbh. Great entry!

Stu Redman: Bejaysus, nice to see this pop up. Not one of Fleetwood Mac's best known songs with casuals, but a favorite among their fans in the live setting. And it was all because of this performance. Stevie wrote the song about Lindsey (the guitarist beside her) when they were having a coke-fuelled break-up back in the 70s. This performance is from The Dance which was the first time this line-up reformed and performed together since the 80s. By the end of the song when Stevie is basically screaming across at Lindsey "You will never get away from the sound of a woman who loves you" with the demented look in her eyes, I'm equally terrified and thrilled.
    I wrote 'Silver Springs' about Lindsey. And we were in Maryland somewhere driving under a freeway sign that said Silver Spring, Maryland. And I loved the name, Silver Springs sounded like a pretty fabulous place to me. And, 'You could be my silver springs', that's just a whole symbolic thing of what you could have been to me.

Just perfect.

Scores
    Necro: 4th
    Stu: 4th

16 points and SECOND PLACE to

Stu's new best friend, Tammy!

Our discrepancies in our own second place choices mean that one we agreed on rises to second here. And well worth it's placement, in my opinion at least :D

1st: Like A Stone - Audioslave

Stu:
    One of my definitive favorite songs, and one I don't listen to often these days exactly because of that. I want to listen to and love this until my dying days and not ever tire of it. Ah that first Audioslave album was one of those albums for me where there wasn't a bad song or skipper on it, released in the good ol' early 00s. When that first single 'Cochise' dropped, back at the height of channels like Kerrang TV, it was a moment like when Linkin Park's 'One Step Closer' dropped - You just had to stop, tell everyone in the room to STFU and turn up the channel. 'Like a Stone' as the follow-up single brought Audioslave to "Hold on, who the fcuk are this band and do they have an album?" heights. Then you end up going down the Soundgarden and Rage Against The Machine rabbitholes as you discover the answers to those questions. What a tune. Vocally, Cornell was putting in an all-timer with 'Cochise', but 'Like a Stone' is him at his songwriting best. Such a macabre theme, similar to 'Like Suicide' which was submitted in the Forever Young round. He could write about life and death like not many others in his genre.

Necro:
    This is awesome. Just awesome. Had never heard this song before but it was one of those times that you hear it and just click. The singer's voice, that awesome wa-wa guitar solo, the song is just epic. Love it love it love it.

Scores

Stu: 3rd
    Necro: 1st

Overall:
    17 points to MicksJaguar!

Congratulations to our winner!!!

Pendantic: It's a whammy effect, not a wah Necro, tut :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Well done Mick and thanks to Stu and Necro for running this

• Advertisement

Mick gets his very first top ranking in our final category :D

God I am obsessed with that song now

Advertisement