Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS Walrus Reveal Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

17th spot coming up in the next 15 minutes, get your tea and preferred biscuits ready. Oh wait, different game.

I'm having a full bodied Cabernet Sauvignon tonight - It's the final category after all :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ok...

Because...

source.gif

It's the final round of

Necro and Stu's Walrus!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Here's how this round is going to work:

Stu and myself are co-hosting this round :D

So what that means is that we'll be taking turns to reveal the entries in their rankings.

Stu will go first, with 17th and I'll follow up with 16th and we will alternate until the top 3 when we may (or may not, I might be ad libbing here) do something a little different :D

17th: Je Vole - Louane

Stu:
    This is unfortunately quite lost on me despite a nice melody and piano. In an effort to crack it, I even tried listening to the original version with the original artist, but it didn't enlighten me any further. I imagine this is a special song to whoever submitted it, and thanks for the entry, but it's not for me and there are too many heavy hitters in this round which are. Reading along with the translated lyrics, the story is possibly sadder than the music suggests (is the child leaving or dying?) and I like that darkness which the music doesn't convey. Points for that, but overall I just can't get there with this song.

Necro:
    This is a lovely little song, I do like the artist's tone. It arguably should be a bit higher in this list but I'm going to be honest, my prejudice against foreign songs is rearing here again. It just isn't something I want to go back to without having a reason (ie Walrus).

Scores

Stu: 15th
    Necro: 16th

Overall:
    1 point to
    Barney

Sorry :(

That's a lovely song. I'm a sucker for the french language in song. There's a romance to it (Though she's probably singing about her horse)

Will revisit it. Barney.

• Advertisement

16th Place: Blur - This Is A Low

Necro: Oh dear entrant, what have you done to me. So let me explain to you the mental torture receiving this song did to me. When I opened my PM with your entry I had a minor hissy fit and slammed my laptop shut at the thought of having to listen to Blur, no joke. Going back to the very first Walrus and there was a… shall we say slight dislike for Liam Gallagher from the host.

Well let me tell you something… brother - I feel that way about Damon Alburn. His monotone, annoying Cockney accent and his stupid bowler style haircut - I just cannot listen to many of their songs and enjoy them because he sounds like a twonk of the highest order. Enunciate FFS Damon!

But anyways… this is actually the song I listened to most in this category. I tried my absolute hardest to be objective but when he starts whining about Loooow I started banging my head off a wall. To be fair it’s not the worst song (Alburn’s strained nonsense lyrics in Coffee and TV make me incredibly angry and to me that song is so mediocre and horrifically over-rated, because of a class video). Anyways… this is as high as it was ever going to go. Sorry, I did try. Not the worst Blur song… but there aren’t many good ones… imo :)

Stu Redman: Back in the early 90s I liked Blur songs, but I completely ate up that 'Oasis v Blur' sh1t and therefore listened to a mountain of Oasis versus a bump of Blur. After I came out of that phase, I went on to realise that Damon Albarn and Blur were the most musically ambitious of the two groups, possibly the most talented, and that I was doing myself a complete disservice by closing off a world of Blur songs to myself. The question here is do I feel that This Is A Low is a song I was doing myself a disservice by shutting out earlier in life? No, unfortunately I'm not getting that. I've given it a few listens to try and let it have a chance to fare better but clearly I missed the boat on this 25 years ago. It is a serious live performance which was submitted though.

Scores
    Necro: 14th
    Stu: 16th

2 points to

Rikand

:cool: Blur and Necro do not mix very well

Pretzill wrote: »
    I'm just pleased none of mine were picked in last place.

And breathe :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Fair play Rikand submitting a blur song to necro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Jasus Barney that was a pretty moving song and I didn't even understand it! Beautiful choice.

I like Blur, just not that particular song. Unlucky Rikand.

• Advertisement

Yep, credit where it's due. But nope, can't.. I just can't... I really did try but I can't :/

I just looked for the English Lyrics of Je Vole (To make sure there wasn't a horse or vole involved) and the sentiment behind the lyrics is very similar to one of the other best songs ever, which I had forgotton about, I may post the video after.

15th: California - Liz Phair

Stu:
    I saw Liz Phair coming up on the playlist and was expecting one thing, then heard this and had to do a double take to make sure it was her. This has sent me down a bit of a rabbithole and has resulted in this song being placed higher than I was initially going to place it. As a song on its own to listen to among a crop of other varied entries (and following that REDACTED masterpiece on the playlist), it is a Nemo swimming with sharks. But back to that rabbithole - This song is from a large collection of short ditties which Liz Phair released on a low budget album called 'Girly Sound' back in 1991. Placed in the context of the themes and overall sound of that low budget album, I can appreciate this song a lot more. The song itself uses the popular joke of the bulls and "Let's walk down the hill and fcuk them all!" to describe how she feels about California and why she left it. Easily dismissible as a joke on first listen, but heavier if you think she's comparing that to her real life experiences as a person.

Lol - the song after California is Liz putting lyrics to Chopsticks. It's all quirky, yet coming from a serious place and trying to convey serious messages. She reminds me of Amanda Palmer and a host of other US female indie artists who an old friend introduced me to back in the 00s. Good submission this which I'm grateful for, but there are some big songs in this round.

Necro:
    I'm not even sure what this is trying to do if I'm honest. Is it comedy, is it a song? Each time I'd listen to it I just get more confused. Not for me, sadly.

Scores

Stu: 10th
    Necro: 17th

Overall:
    3 points to
    Sheridan

No, Necro was not a fan of that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Stu: I saw Liz Phair coming up on the playlist and was expecting one thing, then heard this and had to do a double take to make sure it was her. .
    What was the one thing you were expecting?

First listen to that Liz Phair one her voice kind of gives me the creeps. But I can see an appeal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I like Amanda Palmer but I'm not sure at all about that Liz Phair track. Will have to check out some of her other stuff.

I'm not really a fan of Liz Phair but, although not close to my favorite ever, I think it's a great little tune and I love her accent on it.

14th Place: Antony & The Johnsons - Fistful of Love

Necro: Multiple listens in and I just don’t really get this song. Is he talking about his penis? An ode to his penis? Because he seems to really love whatever he’s raving on about. The beat is ok but the song is just bizarre. I can’t get into it no matter how much I try unfortunately. Maybe that’s a good thing?

Stu Redman: A grower for me, but unfortunately not enough to reach my Top 10 here. I had previously heard of A+TJs but never put on the cans and listened to any material. I would based on multiple listens of this song, but I'm just not there yet with this song as something that hits me by itself.

Scores
    Necro: 13th
    Stu: 12th

4 points to

Deleted User

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    What was the one thing you were expecting?

Shinier production, more instrumentation, more straight forward songs like Extraordinary and Supernova. Clearly though those songs are from her later material which is all I was familiar with before this round.

Necro, listen to this and see if it is more your cup of tea...

That's more like it. That would have done much, much better tbh.

• Advertisement

Yeah her later stuff is very poppy.

I could really get into Fistful of Love, great track PJ. It's familiar, was it in a movie or something?

Necro wrote: »
    That's more like it. That would have done much, much better tbh.

Yeah she started out verrrry indie with California and the collection it is from. Still though, I enjoyed that foray into 'Girly Sound' last night.

This next one is batshít crazy...

13th: Nice Weather For Ducks - Lemon Jelly

Stu:
    The song equivalent of "I'm sure it's a good joke, I just needed to be there". I feel I need to drop some acid in order for this to climb high in the rankings here. Nice uplifting music for the most part, but I'm not mad about the brass section which comes in towards the end.

Necro:
    This song; this FCUKING song. First listen was when I was going to bed and the repetition terrified the sh1te out of me. I ended up having nightmares about ducks and awoke deciding it was bottom of the pile. But do you know what, I went in and listened to it again. And again. And the repetition made me smile. It's such a simple song. And more importantly, my kid hasn't stopped singing it in days. So here we are. You evil, evil person.

Scores

Stu: 14th
    Necro: 8th

Overall:
    5 points to
    Electric Nitwit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Two one points in a row, ooph. Oh well. Chose Shakira mainly because I'll be on the dancefloor whenever she comes on and this last one I thought would be a new one for you.

Pretzill wrote: »
    I could really get into Fistful of Love, great track PJ. It's familiar, was it in a movie or something?

No idea. A friend shared it with me a few months back and its stuck with me. I love it. Yer man's voice is something else along with the horns.

And Lol its not about a penis, its about a victim of domestic abuse rationalising it, somehow claiming the abuse is really fistfuls of love.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I like that song. Builds up really nicely as it goes along.

Yeah thanks a bunch EN for giving me nightmares about ducks chasing me :pac:

• Advertisement

Barney92 wrote: »
    Two one points in a row, ooph. Oh well. Chose Shakira mainly because I'll be on the dancefloor whenever she comes on and this last one I thought would be a new one for you.

Yikes, sorry Barney. I just don't like Hips Don't Lie despite its dance qualities, but Je Vole is a different story. Quite a moving tune and it has gone down well with other posters here.

Advertisement