Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS Walrus Reveal Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Yer man's voice is something else along with the horns.

This made me Lol after Necro's comments.

I'm sure I heard the song before but I'll listen again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

12th Place: Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman

Necro: I actually really like a lot of Glen Campbell’s stuff. Unfortunately for this entrant, Wichita Lineman is probably my least favourite. I gave it a go, listening a good few times with different versions trying to get into it but it just never happened. Soz :/

Stu Redman: Ah the grandeur of that intro. There are many versions of this song, but I love the whimsical instrumentation of Glen Campbell's original (written by Jimmy Webb). Songs which give me a strong sense of place upon listening do well with me in Walrus, and this song has that in droves. So cinematic and epic, despite its lonely tale.

Scores
    Necro: 15th
    Stu: 7th

5 points to

WHOOOOOosh

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Pretzill wrote: »
    This made me Lol after Necro's comments.

I'm sure I heard the song before but I'll listen again.

Well you hear fistful of love as a guy and you assume one thing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,780 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

13th: Nice Weather For Ducks - Lemon Jelly

Stu:
    The song equivalent of "I'm sure it's a good joke, I just needed to be there". I feel I need to drop some acid in order for this to climb high in the rankings here. Nice uplifting music for the most part, but I'm not mad about the brass section which comes in towards the end.

Necro:
    This song; this FCUKING song. First listen was when I was going to bed and the repetition terrified the sh1te out of me. I ended up having nightmares about ducks and awoke deciding it was bottom of the pile. But do you know what, I went in and listened to it again. And again. And the repetition made me smile. It's such a simple song. And more importantly, my kid hasn't stopped singing it in days. So here we are. You evil, evil person.

Scores

Stu: 14th
    Necro: 8th

Overall:
    5 points to
    Electric Nitwit

Ha ha, just walked in. Well, it was always a gamble but that song makes me so happy every time I hear it. Stu, I couldn't disagree more about the brass, it's unreal! And Necro, tell your kid they have great taste! I can't help it you played it at the wrong time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Love me some Witchita Lineman

• Advertisement

Brilliant choice Osh, I probably would have chosen Withita Lineman myself Jimmy Webb is a bit of a genius songwriter and I just love that song

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

A bit late to the party but am here now. Haven’t heard of most of those songs so will have to give them a listen tomorrow

This next one is batshít crazy...

Knew i was coming up when I read that!

If you think that's batsh-t crazy you should hear what I just entered into Green&Red's :p

11th: One Day Like This - Elbow

Stu:
    Can't deny the head-turner this was upon release, and it's a great song from an extremely talented and original group. I just 'Over Elbowed' when that album first landed, sort of like I did with Mumford and Sons when they released 'Sigh No More'.

It reminds me of a Bittersweet Symphony for the 00s, except Elbow don't owe the Rolling Stones all royalties for their hook biggrin.png Like Symphony, I recognise the greatness of One Day Like This but don't really listen to it a lot these days and it wouldn't be a personal favorite. Listening to it now though and especially that outro, man it's a great tune and mightn't be the highest for me subjectively, but I can't deny it objective points in such a round. Definitely within my Top 10 here.

Necro:
    For some reason I just couldn't click with this song. I wanted to like it, and there were moments when I thought, yeah this is decent but then I'd put it on again and the same doubts about it would surface.

Scores

Stu: 9th
    Necro: 12th

Overall:
    7 points to
    Mollysaurus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Reppohc

Pretzill wrote: »
    I could really get into Fistful of Love, great track PJ. It's familiar, was it in a movie or something?

Do you like charmed?

• Advertisement

Great track! Mollysaurus

That song makes me so unhappy. Not that's its not a great song, just that I loved early Elbow, would drive hours to see them the day after I'd seen them. Then that album blew up, I was delighted for them, they deserve it. But then they dropped their first three albums from their setlist like they never existed, I genuinely feel betrayed

Reppohc wrote: »
    Do you like charmed?

The American TV series? I remember watching that. Is that where it's from?

That song makes me so unhappy. Not that's its not a great song, just that I loved early Elbow, would drive hours to see them the day after I'd seen them. Then that album blew up, I was delighted for them, they deserve it. But then they dropped their first three albums from their setlist like they never existed, I genuinely feel betrayed

Ah yes, the Kings of Leon effect.

Anywho, it's now time for the

9bb2585729fff5a1-en-tillbakablick-p-bloggportalens-2017-utvecklingsbloggen.gif

10th Place: Lady Antebellum - Need You Now

Necro: One of the few entries I actually recognised for this category. I like this song, it’s a real belter particularly in the chorus. Singer has a fab voice too and gels well with the male when his part kicks in. Great choice.

Stu Redman: This did make my head turn when I first heard it on the radio years ago, a good tune and duet. I have friends who go to Lady Antebellum gigs whenever they're playing Dublin, but this song just didn't send me on a similar path to fandom. I get it though and the the attraction. Lovely harmonies and mesh of voices, nice love song, but it's nearly too polished for my regular listening. I see a bottle of red wine when I hear this song, something I like on occasion but not to be had too often.

Scores
    Necro: 9th
    Stu: 11th

8 points to

Meow! it's kitten_k

Wasn’t expecting top 10 so happy with that.

I never really heard of them before but a guy I was kinda seeing had tickets to go see them in the three arena so I binged listened to them on YouTube and fell in love with them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Great pick kk, I really like that song.

kitten_k wrote: »
    Wasn’t expecting top 10 so happy with that.

I never really heard of them before but a guy I was kinda seeing had tickets to go see them in the three arena so I binged listened to them on YouTube and fell in love with them

Just not with him? :D

Just not with him? :D

Na didn’t work out. We were good friends beforehand and are still are but wasn’t meant to be.

• Advertisement

kitten_k wrote: »
    Na didn’t work out. We were good friends beforehand and are still are but wasn’t meant to be.

Sounds like all of my relationships with the fairer sex in my early 20s :pac::pac:

Kolido wrote: »
    Great pick kk, I really like that song.

So if Kitten is 'kk', that makes you 'k'.

Hmm, if you two ever run a Walrus game together a la Necro and Stu, be very careful what you call your game thread :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

osh wrote: »
    Fair play Rikand submitting a blur song to necro

I was asked for my favourite song of all time and I gave it :) You cant please everyone :D

9th: I Appear Missing - Queens of the Stone Age

Stu:
    Reminds me of Muse at certain points, which is not something I ever really seek with my listening these days. Can't help but watch this performance though, some unreal musicianship going on in it. Now that I mention that and think about the Muse comparison, them and QOTSA are two bands who I respect more than I actually enjoy. Super talented musicianship, great songwriters and live performers, I'm happy they exist, but they just aren't bands I really ever put on for listening enjoyment these days. For my own listening, certain songs off Rated R or Songs For The Deaf would have done better in this round.

Necro:
    I love the guitar and the melodies in this song. The live version was a great call to give me too, I think its a brilliant live performance. Not listened to much of Queens of the Stone Age but I really liked this one. That hook is stuck in my brain - don do do do don do do!

Scores

Stu: 13th
    Necro: 6th

Overall:
    9 points to
    ***Banjo***

So if Kitten is 'kk', that makes you 'k'.

Hmm, if you two ever run a Walrus game together a la Necro and Stu, be very careful what you call your game thread :eek:

It came up in my PEEHS :p
    Scores after question 5:

Some low scores for the KKK at the top

Player Score
    Kolido 16
    kitten_k 18
    K.Flyer 20

Rikand wrote: »
    I was asked for my favourite song of all time and I gave it :) You cant please everyone :D

Ah Rikand I'm really sorry :( For what it's worth that entry was the one I listened to most in the entire contest

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Stu:
    Can't deny the head-turner this was upon release, and it's a great song from an extremely talented and original group. I just 'Over Elbowed' when that album first landed, sort of like I did with Mumford and Sons when they released 'Sigh No More'.

It reminds me of a Bittersweet Symphony for the 00s, except Elbow don't owe the Rolling Stones all royalties for their hook biggrin.png Like Symphony, I recognise the greatness of One Day Like This but don't really listen to it a lot these days and it wouldn't be a personal favorite. Listening to it now though and especially that outro, man it's a great tune and mightn't be the highest for me subjectively, but I can't deny it objective points in such a round. Definitely within my Top 10 here.

Necro:
    For some reason I just couldn't click with this song. I wanted to like it, and there were moments when I thought, yeah this is decent but then I'd put it on again and the same doubts about it would surface.

Scores

Stu: 9th
    Necro: 12th

Overall:
    7 points to
    Mollysaurus

I love this song. It's what Leinster play when they win a trophy. Happy times.

Rikand wrote: »

I love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Delighted to see Nice Weather for Ducks and One Day Like This entered so far. Two amazing songs that I absolutely adore :D Such wonderful feel good songs :pac:

• Advertisement

I desperately wanted to like the Blur track if that helps :D

Advertisement