Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Effects wrote: »
    You don't need to live with him to see how he is as a partner. What's been shown in the papers paints a pretty poor picture of him. And that's what we know about.

Because papers always speak the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

dave1982 wrote: »

No chance he fights as early as November.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Either John will have an sbg fighter on the card or Conor will be in attendance to fight the winner of jorge/nate at 170 which i really don't want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Either John will have an sbg fighter on the card or Conor will be in attendance to fight the winner of jorge/nate at 170 which i really don't want to see.

Yep that's it. John just wants the attention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Come on folks we all know what this means

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Zero-Cool wrote: »

He has no one of UFC quality currently.

rob316 wrote: »

Gunnar? I know hes not really an SBG fighter but John corners him?

rob316 wrote: »
    Johnny Walker was in SBG recently. Maybe he's on the card and John is cornering him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

US2 wrote: »
    Gunnar? I know hes not really an SBG fighter but John corners him?

Nope he's fighting in September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Not a Connor fan but this is a bit silly questioning his power at lightweight,

He had 3 fights a lightweight

He knocked Eddie down repeatedly and finished him ,
    He knocked Diaz down repeatedly, Diaz has fought many times at welter weight and only stopped once and it was a shin to the head , I can't recall anyone knocking him down with punches, Has it happened ?

Khabib majority of the fight was trying to get up or fearing the take down ,

He has problems but the power of his punches is not one of them

Khabib also stood it up in the 3rd round because he was bolloxed also from the first 2 with the ground effort ....how often do we see that with Khabib

McGregor was bolloxed too in that 3rd and could do nothing, that's one of his main problems the gas tank and everyone knows it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭knockers84

McGregor reminds me of Rousey, his time is up. Great fan base but won’t hack it anymore.

If he’s happy to be a top six or seven fighter work away but champion at this weight class won’t happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

BDI wrote:
    Conor McGregor is a song and dance man. A great showman. A decent and at his best a solid mma fighter. Some of the stuff here though is ridiculous.
    I wouldn't disagree with anything else you say but calling him decent and at best solid is wrong. He held two belts at one time, first ever to do that. Regardless of how you perceive his skills he is going down in history as an all-time great.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I have deleted a few posts here, any more nonsense out of those involved and you will be on a ban from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Not a Connor fan but this is a bit silly questioning his power at lightweight,

He had 3 fights a lightweight

He knocked Eddie down repeatedly and finished him ,
    He knocked Diaz down repeatedly, Diaz has fought many times at welter weight and only stopped once and it was a shin to the head , I can't recall anyone knocking him down with punches, Has it happened ?

Khabib majority of the fight was trying to get up or fearing the take down ,

He has problems but the power of his punches is not one of them

Khabib also stood it up in the 3rd round because he was bolloxed also from the first 2 with the ground effort ....how often do we see that with Khabib

McGregor was bolloxed too in that 3rd and could do nothing, that's one of his main problems the gas tank and everyone knows it

It's his biggest problem by a country mile. He's no grappler, but his BJJ, and take down defense, is much better then he usually gets credit for. He doesn't panic when he's on the ground.

His cardio seems terrible for someone at one of the middle weight classes, and I doubt his "lifestyle" helps that. He's competing against guys in Tony and Khabib that either don't drink, or have never drank. Compare that to the sessions he does be pictured on in Dublin.
    I don't think he's ever going to have the stamina of Nate or Colby, but if he had a more professional lifestyle that may have meant he had some power left for his punches in round 3 vs Khabib

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

derfderf wrote: »
    It's his biggest problem by a country mile. He's no grappler, but his BJJ, and take down defense, is much better then he usually gets credit for. He doesn't panic when he's on the ground.

His cardio seems terrible for someone at one of the middle weight classes, and I doubt his "lifestyle" helps that. He's competing against guys in Tony and Khabib that either don't drink, or have never drank. Compare that to the sessions he does be pictured on in Dublin.
    I don't think he's ever going to have the stamina of Nate or Colby, but if he had a more professional lifestyle that may have meant he had some power left for his punches in round 3 vs Khabib

That’s a good point in fairness.

Maybe his lack of power since he went to lightweight correlates with his lack of fitness since he went to lightweight.

BDI wrote: »
    That’s a good point in fairness.

Maybe his lack of power since he went to lightweight correlates with his lack of fitness since he went to lightweight.

Lack of power since going to lightweight? He had Eddie and Nate on their arse multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,134 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sonofenoch wrote: »

Khabib couldn’t get the TD up in the 3rd.
    Same thing happen verses Al.

McGregor has a question mark over his gas tank. But I think anyone would be wrecked from those two rounds. Dustin has on gas tank issues but was shaky looking in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Anyone who thinks Conor has a chance against Khabib in a rematch needs to wake up and smell the coffee imo (srs)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

theballz wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks Conor has a chance against Khabib in a rematch needs to wake up and smell the coffee imo (srs)
    He does have a genuine chance, but it's a small one.
    First round or so is his window to try take him out. After that, it's all Khabib, unless he gets really lucky.
    Khabib is one of the worst possible fighters to be against when you have ****ty stamina.

• Advertisement

theballz wrote: »

Khabib would be a rightful heavy favourite but McGregor would certainly have a chance, albeit a small one.

Keeping his distance and trying to catch Khabib on entries seems like his best route to finding a KO. Probably would be less of a cardio drain too which has been a large flaw for Conor in past fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Tazzimus wrote: »
    He does have a genuine chance, but it's a small one.
    First round or so is his window to try take him out. After that, it's all Khabib, unless he gets really lucky.
    Khabib is one of the worst possible fighters to be against when you have ****ty stamina.

If he's been in the gym since the fight I would say he would have a chance, but he's been doing everything but training since then. He's most likely in that stage where his skills are probably deteriorating.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Khabib would be a rightful heavy favourite but McGregor would certainly have a chance, albeit a small one.

Keeping his distance and trying to catch Khabib on entries seems like his best route to finding a KO. Probably would be less of a cardio drain too which has been a large flaw for Conor in past fights.

the left?

the left?

Feels like his only route to a win. Has thrown knees in the past too without a whole world of joy but a well timed knee on a low entry could put anyone's lights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Dustin is trying to get himself a red panty night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What does McG think about Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

JJayoo wrote: »
    What does McG think about Brexit?

That its his turn off from the M50 to the K club

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

knockers84 wrote: »
    McGregor reminds me of Rousey. Great fan base but won’t hack it anymore

Rousey mentally crumbled after her first loss and was a shadow of herself in the 2 ensuing fights.

Mcgregor lost early in his career, lost again to Nate, came back, beat him and then won the lightweight belt!

But I suppose they do both have (had) a great fan base. But thats about where the similarity ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

paulieeye wrote: »
    Rousey mentally crumbled after her first loss and was a shadow of herself in the 2 ensuing fights.

Mcgregor lost early in his career, lost again to Nate, came back, beat him and then won the lightweight belt!

But I suppose they do both have (had) a great fan base. But thats about where the similarity ends.

All true but he's been inactive too long .....he was among the most active with 2 or more fights a year ....I suspect if or when he comes back alot of the magic will be gone, the evidence was there in the Khabib fight which will have been over a year ago and that with 18 months inactivity at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Seen askren is taunting mcgregor at the moment... Wonder if something will come of it

Ali says GSP is next forget mcgregor or ferguson

Advertisement