Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

paulieeye wrote: »
    Rousey mentally crumbled after her first loss and was a shadow of herself in the 2 ensuing fights.

Mcgregor lost early in his career, lost again to Nate, came back, beat him and then won the lightweight belt!

But I suppose they do both have (had) a great fan base. But thats about where the similarity ends.

Rousey is after an oscar these days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,100 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dave1982 wrote: »
    Ali says GSP is next forget mcgregor or ferguson

He’s delusional to think he gets a say in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Mellor wrote: »
    He’s delusional to think he gets a say in it.

Yes but Khabib is a very different fella to other fighters.
    So much bad stuff went on with Conor in lead up to first fight, Khabib and his team know now the biggest punishment they can inflict on Mcgregor is to never give him the chance of redemption.
    If Conor was to defeat say 2 or 3 of the top lightweights or even Max at 155, and if Khabib is still champ and fighting, then yes UFC can order him to defend vs Conor. Otherwise Khabib is in the driving seat re Conor, he is now the A side as Mayweather would say. And money isn’t even Khabib main motivation tho he will still make plenty of it.

Looks like it will be Khabib vs Ferguson next. Will khabib fight again this year?? If so surely be the end of year ppv.
    Tho would be funny/tragic if the fight fell over again at last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

No interest in McGregor/Khabib rematch until Conor wins at least 2 fights against top 5 LW opponents or beats Tony.

Personally I think the Dustin or Max rematches would be great comeback fights.

• Advertisement

Looks like Conor is having a last holiday with the family before starting a fight prep. “See you guys soon” is how he signs off his post. End of year headliner maybe??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,528 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So much bad stuff went on with Conor in lead up to first fight, Khabib and his team know now the biggest punishment they can inflict on Mcgregor is to never give him the chance of redemption.
    If Conor was to defeat say 2 or 3 of the top lightweights or even Max at 155, and if Khabib is still champ and fighting, then yes UFC can order him to defend vs Conor. Otherwise Khabib is in the driving seat re Conor, he is now the A side as Mayweather would say. And money isn’t even Khabib main motivation tho he will still make plenty of it.

We'll see what Dana has to say about that. Khabibs last (non McGregor) PPV headline did 350k PPV buys. If he was such a big draw now they wouldn't have him fight at 1pm Pacific time on a weak card last week.

I get that they were promoting the fight in Russia and the like but if theres top level dollar to be made the UFC have the fight in Vegas or MSG.

The Nal wrote: »
    We'll see what Dana has to say about that. Khabibs last (non McGregor) PPV headline did 350k PPV buys. If he was such a big draw now they wouldn't have him fight at 1pm Pacific time on a weak card last week.

I get that they were promoting the fight in Russia and the like but if theres top level dollar to be made the UFC have the fight in Vegas or MSG.

I’m all for the Conor superfights especially when there’s a title on the line, I miss those crazy all night events so much!!
    But now I think Conor’s path is a journey of redemption. And to do that he is gonna need to fight more often, like he did on his first journey to ufc gold. I think the US fans are still mostly on board despite his fall from grace, but 2 or 3 wins against good opponents will bring him back to peak popularity, especially if he can be crazy funny like he was before Mayweather fight instead of crazy nasty.
    Not sure if Conor has the desire now to put in the effort for few fights streak, seems he just wants immediate title shot.
    Sure he know what he needs to do anyway and am sure he is planning to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,528 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I’m all for the Conor superfights especially when there’s a title on the line, I miss those crazy all night events so much!!
    But now I think Conor’s path is a journey of redemption. And to do that he is gonna need to fight more often, like he did on his first journey to ufc gold. I think the US fans are still mostly on board despite his fall from grace, but 2 or 3 wins against good opponents will bring him back to peak popularity, especially if he can be crazy funny like he was before Mayweather fight instead of crazy nasty.
    Not sure if Conor has the desire now to put in the effort for few fights streak, seems he just wants immediate title shot.
    Sure he know what he needs to do anyway and am sure he is planning to do it.

Well we will see but as Marvin Hagler said "It's tough to get out of bed to do roadwork at 5am when you've been sleeping in silk pajamas".

I'd love another committed McGregor run too but I'd rather see Khabib vs Ferguson/GSP than against McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Khabib v Ferguson is the only fight to make next, forget about GSP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

If Mcgregor fights again it will be Holloway at FW, because he won't really have a choice. He wants a belt and he isn't competing at LW against Khabib or Ferguson any time soon. I would say he'd never fight again but didn't he sign a six fight contract before the Khabib fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    If Mcgregor fights again it will be Holloway at FW, because he won't really have a choice. He wants a belt and he isn't competing at LW against Khabib or Ferguson any time soon. I would say he'd never fight again but didn't he sign a six fight contract before the Khabib fight?

He is not making that cut ever again

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Jamiekelly wrote: »

All that means is that he can't fight in another organisation until his contract is up. It doesn't mean he has to fight 5 more fights.

How is punishing McGregor relevant to whether or not Khabib fights Tony next?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭creeper1

In fairness seeing the improvements and progress Dustin has made in the intervening years McGregor should have to beat him to earn a crack at the title.

However the fight probably won’t happen.

How is punishing McGregor relevant to whether or not Khabib fights Tony next?

The post from Dave u replied to said GSP over Mcgregor or Ferguson. My then response was only about why Khabib would not fight Conor next or even ever again.

The post from Dave u replied to said GSP over Mcgregor or Ferguson. My then response was only about why Khabib would not fight Conor next or even ever again.
    The post by Ali didn’t say anything about McGregor.

“As far as I know, GSP is next. That is what I want. Tony doesn’t get what he wants.”

I was saying Ali is delusional to think what he wants is relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The post by Ali didn’t say anything about McGregor.

“As far as I know, GSP is next. That is what I want. Tony doesn’t get what he wants.”

I was saying Ali is delusional to think what he wants is relevant.

Whatever.
    The post showing that u replied to has 9 words in it. McGregor is one of them and is in same context as Ferguson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Epic Vid..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

The Ali video to clear things up. I should have posted the video on original post

https://youtu.be/8Rov30Q6bBc

Yeah that’s where the quote above is from. I seen the quote on Twitter.
    Of course Ali wants GSP. Nobody cares what Ali wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I think what the UFC will do is:

They'll make the Tony fight, and be banking on a Khabib win.

They'll match McGregor up as favourably as possible, with a view to Khabib rematch post Tony.

The GSP vs Khabib fight will not materialise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Yeah that’s where the quote above is from. I seen the quote on Twitter.
    Of course Ali wants GSP. Nobody cares what Ali wants.
    As it should be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

dave1982 wrote: »
    The Ali video to clear things up. I should have posted the video on original post

https://youtu.be/8Rov30Q6bBc

Khabib walks around at 190 lbs?! My bollix he does. I’m 6’1”” and walk around at 160 lbs but don’t have a 6 pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Khabib walks around at 190 lbs?! My bollix he does. I’m 6’1”” and walk around at 160 lbs but don’t have a 6 pack.

Are your arms and legs and back and shoulders as muscular as khabib?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

My guess is 175-180lbs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Kyung ho Kang is only 5'9" and he's only a few pounds lighter than you in the cage.

Kang_Kyung-Ho_from_acrofan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

If kabib is walking around at 190 then why is he not fighting at 170? ****ing coward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Khabibs head weighs about 170 pounds . Has a head like a Neanderthal . I’d say he walks around at about 180 though .

Advertisement