Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,239 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

BDI wrote: »
    Lads he hasn’t got knockout power at lightweight.

How many times did he hit Nate flush. He knew his whole game plan of knocking khabib out was a non runner. He turned up knowing it wasn’t going to happen.

Mcgregor s main advantage and skill was cutting weight. He got the lightweight belt at a good time before khabib turned up.

His power looked amazing when he was towering over lads who had no head movement and punching downwards.

I can’t see him ever cutting weight down to that size again. At best he will hover in the top ten lightweight. If khabib goes up a weight and leaves the division he might get lucky but that depends on him changing his life around and I think he is too far gone.

Seeing people talking about his chances against established boxers is even more comical.

Conor McGregor is a song and dance man. A great snowman. A decent and at his best a solid mma fighter. Some of the stuff here though is ridiculous.

He is better off retiring before he turns up totally unfit and gets hurt.

He's walking in the air

Or is "snow" slang for something.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

He's walking in the air

Or is "snow" slang for something.............

Haha quality meant to say showman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Homelander wrote: »
    It's still tasteless and doesn't reflect well on Justin. Who cares if McGregor has said worse? Who cares if people know McGregor has been a mess the past while? What ever happened to being better, or above, that? Just because something is true, or known, or suspected, or whatever, doesn't mean it's open license to say whatever.
    There's a big difference between trash talk, and actual low level gutter talk. McGregor used to be good at the former, but slid into the latter in recent years, which disappointed a lot of people. Justin should be better than that.

It’s all an act by Justin, drumming up interest etc. Isn’t that the excuse that was normally rolled out for McGregor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

walshb wrote: »
    He needs several shots to KO Khabib. Conor does not have enough one shot concussive power to sleep Khabib. He won’t get to.

He's never put anyone to 'sleep' (in his time in UFC)...knock down and hammer, arguably Aldo but again that was hammer fists stopped that

Straight ko's are pretty rare in mma are they not

• Registered Users Posts: 55,116 ✭✭✭✭walshb

sonofenoch wrote: »
    He's never put anyone to 'sleep' (in his time in UFC)...knock down and hammer, arguably Aldo but again that was hammer fists stopped that

Straight ko's are pretty rare in mma are they not

Straight KOs are not all that rare. Elbows, fists, knees, feet, shins etc...

Conor’s power is in his punching. It’s heavy power, but gets exaggerated by many..he has a slow type methodical power delivery. Sharp shooter, but lacks that lights out wow power..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

He's a 155r lads he's not gonna have Mike Tyson power.

Did he not learn ye anything, precision beats power

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

BDI wrote: »
    Lads he hasn’t got knockout power at lightweight.

Buchinger was at Lightweight.

AbandonedPerkyJackrabbit-small.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

You don't actually need to hit someone hard to knock them out, people don't seem to realise that.
    It's more about where the punch connects.
    And he definitely has power at lightweight.
    Buchinger was at lightweight
    Alvarez was at lightweight
    Both Nate fights were at lightweight technically, and he floored him a few times in the second fight.

Most fighters tend to score tko's, an actual ko isn't that common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Is he not normally fighting at a lighter weight though. Was he featherweight champ?

And that is actual criminal boxing :)

I don’t remember the fight but it looks like he had taken an onslaught of punches before he threw that Hail Mary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

walshb wrote: »
    Straight KOs are not all that rare. Elbows, fists, knees, feet, shins etc...

Conor’s power is in his punching. It’s heavy power, but gets exaggerated by many..he has a slow type methodical power delivery. Sharp shooter, but lacks that lights out wow power..

Are you talking a boxing 10 second count ko?

when do you see 'elite' mma fighters out cold

• Advertisement

Well to be fair to Mcgregor that is great timing. Even though he did wind up to it a fraction more than you'd get if he was in a boxing ring.

So his timing is good. Can't knock that. And his accuracy as well. The way your man is hit, it wouldn't matter what weight he is unless he had a neck like a bull. But he does a couple of things extremely novicey. He falls in, overshoots his wild punch/slap and doesn't even attempt to bring it back to his face. And he also crosses his legs which fucks any balance he might have had. And he doesn't see the punch coming. the one you don't see is the one that will knock you out. Your man might just have been bolloxed. I don't know of him at all.

Just in case anyone thinks I'm not giving McGregor credit - I am. I'm just responding to the point about being a lightweight. The way your man left himself open (or the way McG used the angles to exploit his sloppyness), if he'd been 90kg, he'd have still gone down from that.

Well to be fair to Mcgregor that is great timing. Even though he did wind up to it a fraction more than you'd get if he was in a boxing ring.

So his timing is good. Can't knock that. And his accuracy as well. The way your man is hit, it wouldn't matter what weight he is unless he had a neck like a bull. But he does a couple of things extremely novicey. He falls in, overshoots his wild punch/slap and doesn't even attempt to bring it back to his face. And he also crosses his legs which fucks any balance he might have had. And he doesn't see the punch coming. the one you don't see is the one that will knock you out. Your man might just have been bolloxed. I don't know of him at all.

Just in case anyone thinks I'm not giving McGregor credit - I am. I'm just responding to the point about being a lightweight. The way your man left himself open (or the way McG used the angles to exploit his sloppyness), if he'd been 90kg, he'd have still gone down from that.

It was about 3:40 in the first round, so he wasn't bolloxed.
    Also, Buchinger was the champ as well I think at 155

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Mcgregor has the potential to knock people out at 155 but his punching technique has looked poor recently. Even though he got the ko against Alvarez a few of his punches in that fight looked like weak arm punches, and same thing continued in mayweather and khabib fight with more frequency. He caught Khabib with a counter left in round 3 but clearly had nowhere near the power that buchinger ko had due to the technique difference. If he has any chance of a successful comeback he needs a new striking coach. If he goes back in there throwing more arm punches, he's going to struggle against any decent opponent.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    It was about 3:40 in the first round, so he wasn't bolloxed.
    Also, Buchinger was the champ as well I think at 155

I'm not knocking McGregor. I just made the point that your man was going down whatever weight he was. That's not taking away from McG. He hit him bang on the button. Your man was at fault for leaving himself in that position, but McG did capitalize.

(What the other fella did was bad boxing technique but might be ok for MMA. I won't pretend I could critique it from MMA technique perspective.)

I'm not knocking McGregor. I just made the point that your man was going down whatever weight he was. That's not taking away from McG. He hit him bang on the button. Your man was at fault for leaving himself in that position, but McG did capitalize.

Wasn't having a go, just giving context to the clip.
    Pretty much the same punch that knocked Aldo out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

dulux99 wrote: »
    Don't think he's being witty, he's being honest. How can you argue with any of it?

Honest? He's stirring the pot to get a fight and earn millions of dollars. Also, i cant argue with it...but you cant either, unless you live with conor and see first hand how he is as a dad and husband

• Registered Users Posts: 29,630 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Two boxing heads here saying his technique wouldn't be good in boxing, or that he's not making fellas stiff. This is mma lads tune up or jog on.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

I wouldn't take this thread too seriously. The comment "A decent and at his best a solid mma fighter" a couple of pages back actually made me laugh out loud.

I fully understand why people don't like him (don't like him too much these days myself), but the mental gymnastics to discredit him is actually impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,665 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Not a Connor fan but this is a bit silly questioning his power at lightweight,

He had 3 fights a lightweight

He knocked Eddie down repeatedly and finished him ,
    He knocked Diaz down repeatedly, Diaz has fought many times at welter weight and only stopped once and it was a shin to the head , I can't recall anyone knocking him down with punches, Has it happened ?

Khabib majority of the fight was trying to get up or fearing the take down ,

He has problems but the power of his punches is not one of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Ballymun Bohs

He fought Diaz at welterweight twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Not a Connor fan but this is a bit silly questioning his power at lightweight,

He had 3 fights a lightweight

He knocked Eddie down repeatedly and finished him ,
    He knocked Diaz down repeatedly, Diaz has fought many times at welter weight and only stopped once and it was a shin to the head , I can't recall anyone knocking him down with punches, Has it happened ?

Khabib majority of the fight was trying to get up or fearing the take down ,

He has problems but the power of his punches is not one of them

The Diaz fights were at welterweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

It could be argued that McGregors stock is currently dropping. That's not to say his return wouldn't be a success, but look at the lack of reaction to his tweet. Usually, the MMA media are all over it - but it barely seems to have registered with them. Maybe they.re sick of McGregor faffing about - it seems that way.

I note Cruz was softly touting McGregor v Felder. That could be a good comeback fight for McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Also, i cant argue with it...but you cant either, unless you live with conor and see first hand how he is as a dad and husband

You don't need to live with him to see how he is as a partner. What's been shown in the papers paints a pretty poor picture of him. And that's what we know about.

He fought Diaz at welterweight twice.
    Diceicle wrote: »

They were at lightweight, minus the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I note Cruz was softly touting McGregor v Felder. That could be a good comeback fight for McGregor.

There's no way Conor will fight someone like Felder.

Even more of a reason to think he'd still have power at lightweight,

Effects wrote: »
    There's no way Conor will fight someone like Felder.
    Cruz is very close to Felder , he just trying to get his buddy a pay day ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

McGregor tweets a few words and this thread comes alive. And people say there’s no interest in him ☺️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

McGregor tweets a few words and this thread comes alive. And people say there’s no interest in him ☺️

One of the post fight interviews with Dana after the Diaz vs Pettis fight consisted of the interviewer badgering Dana on the chances that Conor had texted him.

Advertisement