Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

If your face was being squeezed so hard that your jaw would eventually crush or maybe even worse, what is the problem with tapping out?

There's no problem with tapping out. The point was Barboza was able to get to the end of the fight without getting himself in a position where he had to tap out.

rob316 wrote: »
    I heard from a friend who knew someone in that camp that basically he turned up in terrible shape and spent most of it detoxing.

Pretty lame story, "A mate of a mate of mine heard he was recovering from drugs and booze for most of his camp".

If that was the case then, given his performance against Khabib, he should have no problem beating him if he trains properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Effects wrote: »
    There's no problem with tapping out. The point was Barboza was able to get to the end of the fight without getting himself in a position where he had to tap out.
    Barboza was mauled more than any of Khabib’s recent opponents. Al did a better job of surviving.
    He’s not really a grappler to active chasing the submission. The way that Maia or Gunni would. If it presents, he’ll take it but he’s happy to strike from top position.
    I’m not sure what conclusions we can draw from one result verses the other.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The Barboza fight was only 3 rounds so McGregor actually lasted longer than Barboza. Obviously things could have went differently if the barboza fight was a 5 rounder but you can't really criticise McGregor when he lasted longer than Barboza. Not to mention McGregor performed very well in the first and avoided taking any real shots and also won the third. Barboza got smashed for all three rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The Barboza fight was only 3 rounds so McGregor actually lasted longer than Barboza. Obviously things could have went differently if the barboza fight was a 5 rounder but you can't really criticise McGregor when he lasted longer than Barboza. Not to mention McGregor performed very well in the first and avoided taking any real shots and also won the third. Barboza got smashed for all three rounds.

Barboza didn't need to cheat to get through the three rounds. He didn't illegally knee on the ground, he wasn't using the cage for leverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Yes, no ones ever used the cage for leverage.

Edson didn't have a chance to knee or use the cage, he was just manhandled for most of the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I heard that McG lost both his legs on the morning of the fight and that's why he wasn't able to defend the takedowns. And his left arm was ran over by a herd of buffalo as he made his way to the cage so that's why he didn't knock Khabib out instantly in round one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

JJayoo wrote: »
    I heard that McG lost both his legs on the morning of the fight and that's why he wasn't able to defend the takedowns. And his left arm was ran over by a herd of buffalo as he made his way to the cage so that's why he didn't knock Khabib out instantly in round one.

whatsapp screenshot or it didnt happen

The Barboza fight was only 3 rounds so McGregor actually lasted longer than Barboza.

Jasus, I forgot that to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The Khabib Conor fight has generated so much interest we are still discussing it passionately almost 1 year later.
    I know Ferguson is next in line for a go at Khabib assuming no shock thus wknd. But surely Khabib Conor 2 has to happen in near future just going by economics alone.
    A lot will depend on how defiant Khabib will be in his negotiations, he knows to deprive Conor a chance to redeem himself like he did against Diaz will be a lifetime punishment to Mcgregor. And I would imagine Conor will retire from ufc before Khabib does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,704 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't care about a Khabib/Conor rematch at all. He was fairly and squarely beaten.
    Nate Diaz deserves a rubber match, imo he didn't lose the second fight, personally I think a draw would have been a fair result. Love to see a third between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't care about a Khabib/Conor rematch at all. He was fairly and squarely beaten.
    Nate Diaz deserves a rubber match, imo he didn't lose the second fight, personally I think a draw would have been a fair result. Love to see a third between them.

It's been over 3 years since that fight and I still haven't heard an intelligible argument for a Nate win or a draw. Conor won 1,2 and 4 clear as day. Nate was knocked down twice in the second round so that could easily have been a 10-8 for McGregor, certainly more so than any other round in that fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

BigMo1 wrote: »
    It's been over 3 years since that fight and I still haven't heard an intelligible argument for a Nate win or a draw. Conor won 1,2 and 4 clear as day. Nate was knocked down twice in the second round so that could easily have been a 10-8 for McGregor, certainly more so than any other round in that fight.

I cant remember the last time there was an intelligible argument about Mcgregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

BigMo1 wrote: »
    [L
    Conor won 1,2 and 4 clear as day. Nate was knocked down twice in the second round so that could easily have been a 10-8 for McGregor, certainly more so than any other round in that fight.
    It’s not boxing. Round 1 wasn’t close to a 10-8. And neither was any other round.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Mellor wrote: »
    It’s not boxing. Round 1 wasn’t close to a 10-8. And neither was any other round.

It was certainly the round won by the largest margin, however I agree that 10-9 was probably correct. Either way, Conor won 3 rounds. Result on the night was correct.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I do think it's about time to go through the Diaz fight again alright, then we can perhaps finally get a discussion going on the Mayweather fight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I do think it's about time to go through the Diaz fight again alright, then we can perhaps finally get a discussion going on the Mayweather fight

Sure

This actually happened and grown adults still think it was real

https://twitter.com/SwearingSport/status/1166047028234862592

Have watched both fights multiple times and I honestly think McG won both fights with Nate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

JJayoo wrote: »
    Have watched both fights multiple times and I honestly think McG won both fights with Nate.

He especially won the fight he was submitted in.

Chokes are just like penos in FIFA, they don't count.

McG had Nate's forearm in a chin crush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The Khabib Conor fight has generated so much interest we are still discussing it passionately almost 1 year later.

Or perhaps people are only talking about it still because he hasn't fought since and therefore nothing else to talk about (without getting banned)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Mellor wrote: »
    Effects wrote: »
    Barboza was mauled more than any of Khabib’s recent opponents. Al did a better job of surviving.
    He’s not really a grappler to active chasing the submission. The way that Maia or Gunni would. If it presents, he’ll take it but he’s happy to strike from top position.
    I’m not sure what conclusions we can draw from one result verses the other.

The original post was mine. My point was about the fans' reaction to Barboza and Conor's performances, rather than comparing the performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Sure

This actually happened and grown adults still think it was real

https://twitter.com/SwearingSport/status/1166047028234862592

I don't understand the point of this gif, what are people trying to imply when they post it? Its ALMOST as pointless as the its only business quote from the khabib fight.

Want a gif of all the jabs mcgregor actually landed clean? Or the time Mayweather grabbed mcgregors ass to clinch in round 7 after 2 bodyshots that froze him.

Or if you prefer missing gifs, I can make several of mayweather missing punches by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I’m hoping Conor is getting motivated and inspired to comeback soon from looking in on this week. There are dome derogatory comments being made about him by Khabib and Ferguson.
    I think the fans will still be with him when/if he comes back. Would love to see him redeem himself in the fight sense also and manage to beat these 2 animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

spix wrote: »
    I don't understand the point of this gif, what are people trying to imply when they post it? Its ALMOST as pointless as the its only business quote from the khabib fight.

Want a gif of all the jabs mcgregor actually landed clean? Or the time Mayweather grabbed mcgregors ass to clinch in round 7 after 2 bodyshots that froze him.

Or if you prefer missing gifs, I can make several of mayweather missing punches by a mile.

He doesnt love you back

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

He doesnt love you back

Mod: If you don't have anything useful to add to the conversation except to troll and goad people then avoid the forum thanks.

Back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Diaz an masvidal to headline 244. I thought non title fights couldn't headline ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

US2 wrote: »
    Diaz an masvidal to headline 244. I thought non title fights couldn't headline ?

Presume it's for the "interim" title. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

US2 wrote: »

Total myth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

If Tony turns down Khabib McGregor is next says Dana.. No doubt they'll make Tony a measly offer hoping he'll refuse. Embarrassing

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1170472597567496197?s=19

Advertisement