Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

If i change to the uk the exact same car is £37k. About €40k. VAT about the same, grant about the same. Only different is the 2900 VRT.

Is it just a 5k paddy tax ?

Can you buy a car in another European country and just drive it over here and pay the VRT? Do you have to pay the Irish VAT if it’s under 6 months or something like that? Not withstanding the steering wheel being on the wrong side in most cases... (surely we should change after Brexit!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Tesla Model 3 outsold the Ford Focus in the UK in August:

https://electrek.co/2019/09/05/tesla-model-3-best-selling-cars-uk/

Will be interesting to see how it does on an ongoing basis, once the initial reservation orders are out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭sk8board

fricatus wrote: »
    Tesla Model 3 outsold the Ford Focus in the UK in August:

https://electrek.co/2019/09/05/tesla-model-3-best-selling-cars-uk/

Will be interesting to see how it does on an ongoing basis, once the initial reservation orders are out of the way.

It’s to be expected really - it was the first full month for registrations and there was almost 3.5 years of pent up demand.
    Also, it’s not comparable - there’s plenty years here where the (similar price range to the model 3) bmw 5-Series will outsell most family hatchbacks too.

don’t be surprised that sales are going well in month 1 - they should be!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,427 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’m more surprised that the A class is so far up the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ted1 wrote: »
    I’m more surprised that the A class is so far up the list.

Why? It's actually a nice car to be in. The Golf is the only one I'd pick above it as it has a full BEV option, but the A-Class is a nice car to sit in compared to them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

The special delivery route from Boston to UK and continued delay to Irish deliveries is probably Tesla's attempt to defend against Brexit uncertainities. This and to show off with the new reg registrations to push Tesla up the ranks. Get the GBP now when both the customers are stlll there and the GBP still has value just in case things get ugly after Halloween. The UK prices are also almost unbelievably low due to slide of STG vs. USD since 2016. It was 1.55 vs. 1.20 now. Not sure why Tesla dropped the prices even lower this year?

Targeting Ireland for January 2020 would push Tesla Model 3 high on the Irish registrations also which would be good publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,427 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why? It's actually a nice car to be in. The Golf is the only one I'd pick above it as it has a full BEV option, but the A-Class is a nice car to sit in compared to them all.

More so the price, I would have thought it would beyond the means of the majority. And it’d be to small for fleet cars

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ted1 wrote: »
    More so the price, I would have thought it would beyond the means of the majority. And it’d be to small for fleet cars

It's only £1k more than a Golf and you see plenty of them around in the UK. Sure with haggling there's probably in or around the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I'm just back from the Tesla showroom and had some observations others may have thoughts on...

Closing the doors really bugged me. More force than expected was needed to close them, and I was constantly caught out. Can see this really bugging me. After a quick google, it seems common, not just with the doors but also the frunk. Some folks saying you need to use two hands flat on the bonet to close. Opening it requires you take out your phone and open the app. Can see that as a pain when it is raining out (fingerprint unlock on phone) and I'm carrying bags.

The internal black gloss finish is ripe for scratches and dirt.

Any word on the quality of the material they use on the seats? Is much softer than I am used to and wondering how it should hold up after a few years. The Model S beside it seemed to have a thicker type of material.

If you get a puncture, you should call the service center. If you want to fix it yourself, you need to buy the spray yourself as its not provided.

I'm only 5'8" and my legs were always hitting the steering wheel getting out of the car. I adjusted the seat and wheel to a few different positions and it was still an issue.

The foot room in the back is okay, but no space to put any of your feet under the front seat.

I came away just thinking the build quality is similar to a Toyota. Apart from the flashy toy part of the car, the construction material was a bit blah.

I couldn't figure out how to open the back doors :-)

I am wondering how well it will actually do here. I'm in a 3 series now and it feels like I will need to sacrifice a lot of quality for these extra gadgets, performance and completely modern idea. I'd question how many people who spend €60k on a car would make that same decision.

Even with all of that, I am thinking of going ahead with an order.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

MaceFace wrote: »
    Some folks saying you need to use two hands flat on the bonet to close. Opening it requires you take out your phone and open the app. Can see that as a pain when it is raining out (fingerprint unlock on phone) and I'm carrying bags.

It's two taps on your phone to get to widgets on iOS to open it. Two hands needed to close it. You'd have to get your key out either way on another vehicle
    The internal black gloss finish is ripe for scratches and dirt.
    Yes, this is an issue - can get a vinyl protective wrap on amazon for €12-15 and self apply if a concern.
    Any word on the quality of the material they use on the seats?
    Seats are a synthetic vegan leather.
    If you get a puncture, you should call the service center. If you want to fix it yourself, you need to buy the spray yourself as its not provided.
    Spray on amazon for €12-15
    I'm only 5'8" and my legs were always hitting the steering wheel getting out of the car. I adjusted the seat and wheel to a few different positions and it was still an issue.
    There is a driver profile called "Easy Entry" which when you put your foot on the brake or the car in park will move the steering wheel up and back and your seat out for ease of entry.

I couldn't figure out how to open the back doors :-)
    same as the front!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Maceface...I like you was not a believer. But the thing is now get back in your 3 series. It all seems so outdated and unnecessary, old school and quaint.

I got out of a BMW m4 into one (if I ever get it) so draw whatever conclusion you want from that. These are not cars as we know them, they are a piece of technology, and just as you put wallpaper and a cover on your phone, so you alter your model 3 to suit your use. I already have a list of mods planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

I already have a list of mods planned.

You can't leave it at that! What's in the plan ?? All I have thought of is mats!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Mats, wrap the shinny stuff inside, aero wheel mod, paint correction, ceramic coat, de-chrome are on my to do list.

krissovo wrote: »
    Mats, wrap the shinny stuff inside, aero wheel mod, paint correction, ceramic coat, de-chrome are on my to do list.

Any recommendations for places for ceramic coat and de-chrome? Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Wheel need to go dark silver, hyper silver I think.
    Dechrome - chrome is horrid.
    Tint rear windows.
    Wireless Charging pad.
    Wrap center console.
    Screen Protector.
    Maybe boot struts so it pops open

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

bdogg wrote: »
    Any recommendations for places for ceramic coat and de-chrome? Thanks in advance!

I will use edge signs in Cork for the de-chrome, MX Valleting for the ceramic coat/paint correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭BKtje

Might be interesting to people here:

This guy replaced his M3P 20" with 18" tyres since they were so expensive to replace and measured various results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqFT0tsusUY&t=8s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

Wheel need to go dark silver, hyper silver I think.
    Dechrome - chrome is horrid.
    Tint rear windows.
    Wireless Charging pad.
    Wrap center console.
    Screen Protector.
    Maybe boot struts so it pops open

Feel the same about the wheels, love the wheels on the Model s performance version.

Are you planning to buy new ones or just do some work in the existing ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

If you're in the South East, Larry Kehoe in New Ross did an excellent job for me last year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BobbyBingo wrote: »
    You can't leave it at that! What's in the plan ?? All I have thought of is mats!

If I was waiting on the M3
    I’d have the following ready to go in :

There’s a really good screen protector that stops finger prints and smudges.
    Rear tints.
    Carbon fibre trim wrap. You can. I then pre cut I think now.
    Wireless charging mat that slips into the front storage box that allows charging for 2 phones.
    Adaptor to plug said mat into using its USB which also allows for the additional USB stick for constants sentry mode recording.
    External chrome wrap to black maybe.
    There’s a small tray you can buy that slots straight into the centre console deep tray that makes it more user friendly and practical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭kyote00

Seats are made from vegans - thats gross.
    Seats are a synthetic vegan leather.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kyote00 wrote: »
    Seats are made from vegans - thats gross.

If vegans didn’t want to be sat on, they shouldn’t be so comfortable :)

mouthful wrote: »

Wonder if Tesla will have managed to get any cars off a ferry to the republic of ireland by October 2020...

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

The collection of M3 farkles on my desk continues to grow ... I hope I don't run out of desk before the car arrives. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭batts_not_incl

mouthful wrote: »

Can somebody smarter than me help me understand how this is likely to affect those of us who are waiting for our cars in the event of
    A) cars are delivered in 2019 (guessing no impact?)
    B) Cara are delayed until after Jan 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Can somebody smarter than me help me understand how this is likely to affect those of us who are waiting for our cars in the event of
    A) cars are delivered in 2019 (guessing no impact?)
    B) Cara are delayed until after Jan 2020

If you go back in thread you will find the relevant report and impact on the Tesla 3 price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Wonder if Tesla will have managed to get any cars off a ferry to the republic of ireland by October 2020...

Not sure if Tesla is in hurry, after all new system proposal means that they will be liable to less VRT...

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

According to their ads on Carzone, DC Motor Co have sold one of their SR+ and have taken a deposit on the P3D. Looks like there’s people perfectly happy to pay a premium not to put up with Tesla’s messing.

• Advertisement

hatrack wrote: »
    According to their ads on Carzone, DC Motor Co have sold one of their SR+ and have taken a deposit on the P3D. Looks like there’s people perfectly happy to pay a premium not to put up with Tesla’s messing.

Wow. At least somebody knows how to acquire and sell a car to a customer! All Tesla Sandyford can do is take deposits it seems!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement