Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,130 ✭✭✭✭unkel

80sDiesel wrote: »
    With the advice that the 3 shouldn't be discharged below 25% and not charged beyond 80%

Who's advice?

Sounds like the so called experts telling me not to overclock the bejaysus out of CPUs 20 years ago as it would be detrimental to their lifespan. While technically, that was a valid argument. My CPU would probably only last 3 years and without overclocking 10 years. But back then a CPU was pretty much obsolete within one or two years. So whether it lasted 3 years, 10 years or 300 years was completely irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

80sDiesel wrote: »
    With the advice that the 3 shouldn't be discharged below 25% and not charged beyond 80%...

That's not really true. You're best off keeping it within that range routinely if you can, for battery longevity, but it's the difference between a 300k km battery life and a 500k km battery life.

With Tesla you get to choose how much of the range to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    Summer (time): 00:00 - 09:00
    Winter (time): 23:00 - 08:00

For most households not making any changes in behaviour, it more or less breaks even. With an EV (charging at night) the savings are substantial.

Very much mileage dependent though! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭carloscorreia

• Registered Users Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Lumen wrote: »
    That's not really true. You're best off keeping it within that range routinely if you can, for battery longevity, but it's the difference between a 300k km battery life and a 500k km battery life.

With Tesla you get to choose how much of the range to use.

No. With Tesla, they get to decide how much range you will have. https://twitter.com/hashtag/TeslaRangeIssues?src=hash

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    Very much mileage dependent though! ;)

Eh yeah. If you buy an EV to use as in ornament on your driveway never to be driven or if you are poor at maths and don't believe all the other people with significantly better skills and experience, then there are no savings :pac:

For everyone else the savings are roughly €160 per year per 10k km driven...

16kWh/100km, so 1600kWh per 10k km

1600 * (0.18 normal day rate - 0.08 night rate) = €160

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

I just emailed OrderUpdatesEMEA to enquire if upgrading my order to LR AWD would push out the delivery time, and this is the instant reply I got:

***Dear customer,

We are sorry to hear that you would like to cancel your order.

I wonder if anyone would notice if all of us sent an email asking for an update to this address? Would somone/something be triggered implying lots of people were looking at cancelling?

@unkel The €160 saving easily pays for the road tax. :)

Eh yeah. If you buy an EV to use as in ornament on your driveway never to be driven or if you are poor at maths and don't believe all the other people with significantly better skills and experience, then there are no savings :pac:

For everyone else the savings are roughly €160 per year per 10k km driven...

16kWh/100km, so 1600kWh per 10k km

1600 * (0.18 normal day rate - 0.08 night rate) = €160

Right but someone paying €50k for a car, doing 10k a year isn’t going to consider €100 (you didn’t subtract extra standing charge) a substantial saving!

All I’m saying is, do the math. It’s not necessarily a substantial saving. A saving yes, but substantial is very much mileage dependent... that’s all I said.

Right but someone paying €50k for a car, doing 10k a year isn’t going to consider €100 (you didn’t subtract extra standing charge) a substantial saving!

I did. My presumption was that the typical household more or less breaks even when switching to night rate. Average EV does say 20k km per year. So €320 saving year in year out. For just a one off 5 minute phone call. If you don't call that significant, I don't know what is...

Do you personally know anyone who makes a grand in just a few minutes?

cnocbui wrote: »
    No. With Tesla, they get to decide how much range you will have. https://twitter.com/hashtag/TeslaRangeIssues?src=hash
    There seems to be quite a high signal-to-noisy-shorts ratio on that hashtag. :D

Can you summarise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There seems to be quite a high signal-to-noisy-shorts ratio on that hashtag. :D

Can you summarise?

Nice try. How about a 221 page thread on the Tesla Owners Club site? Perhaps that's just a conspiracy by shorters too.

I did. My presumption was that the typical household more or less breaks even when switching to night rate.

Bad presumption. If it were true the majority would be on night rate. The other thread discussing this proves the point.

Average EV does say 20k km per year. So €320 saving year in year out. For just a one off 5 minute phone call. If you don't call that significant, I don't know what is...

You're moving the goalpost now with the 20k km's. Read what I said.... its mileage dependent.

Do you personally know anyone who makes a grand in just a few minutes?

I do, but not sure how/why thats relevant.

Lets not derail the thread. There is a specific thread discussing it here.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058011241

Its simply a case that if you have an EV you should be on night rate.

The more miles you do the more you save. Whether its a substantial saving or not is down to the miles you do.....again, thats all I said and that is true.

Its simply a case that if you have an EV you should be on night rate.

Hallelujah ;)

I've never advised anyone to go on the night rate if they didn't have an EV...

Hallelujah ;)

I never said someone shouldnt switch to night rate with an EV!

Its your use of the word substantial is the "issue". Maybe you have a different understanding of substantial to me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

goob20s wrote: »
    Do Tesla home chargers work with any CCS equipped car?

My home charger works fine with a leaf 40 and a merc 330e so I'd say yes. There used to be a dip switch inside the unit to allow no Tesla vehicles that but I don't think that's the case any more.

Note also the home charger is a type 2 connector, CCS is a type 2 connector with extra dc bits on the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭carloscorreia

Engineering Explained: M3P 20" vs 18" - Cost, some science/physics and 0-60 times

Engineering Explained: M3P 20" vs 18" - Cost, some science/physics and 0-60 times
    Interesting that there's no ride quality improvement. My experience with a Citroen C5 was that going down 2 inches made a big difference, particularly at motorway speed where the larger wheels made it feel lumpen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,804 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Am I missing something. I'd been keeping half an eye out for the model 3 which was billed as a €30k mass market option.

But I just went on the website and the cheapest one is starts at 48k? And that includes the 5k grant so it is really €52k

It's still some car, but why is it being mentioned in the same ball park as the leaf/nero/kona when it's price puts it in the high end market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Am I missing something. I'd been keeping half an eye out for the model 3 which was billed as a €30k mass market option.

But I just went on the website and the cheapest one is starts at 48k? And that includes the 5k grant so it is really €52k

It's still some car, but why is it being mentioned in the same ball park as the leaf/nero/kona when it's price puts it in the high end market.
    30k usd...

shanec1928 wrote: »
    30k usd...

$35k which is €30k. How did it get from €30k to €52k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Base model 3 in the US, no options, basic paint, is 30,315 USD. That we are getting screwed in Ireland is nothing new, but we are getting screwed on this less than with most other cars.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    30k usd...
    AFAIK it was only going to be 35k USD for the base version, which was withdrawn, SR+ in US is 39k USD.

Obvs shipping costs, import duties and taxes make the Irish price higher again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Import Duty for American cars at 10% + VAT on top of the full price at 23% also somewhat stings here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hallelujah ;)

Unless they work nights or plan to charge during the day .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Tesla Model 3 was the third best selling Model of car un UK in August after Ford Fiesta and VW Golf. No wonder Tesla tried to ship as many RHD cars to UK as they could. Over 2000 were registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

AFAIK it was only going to be 35k USD for the base version, which was withdrawn, SR+ in US is 39k USD.

Obvs shipping costs, import duties and taxes make the Irish price higher again.

Still available over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

samih wrote: »
    Import Duty for American cars at 10% + VAT on top of the full price at 23% also somewhat stings here.

Also there is an amount of residual VRT, that the €5k allowance doesn't bring to zero.

If i change to the uk the exact same car is £37k. About €40k. VAT about the same, grant about the same. Only different is the 2900 VRT.

Is it just a 5k paddy tax ?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sln852

There was a price cut in the UK in July that reduced the price of the Standard Range Plus by £1,560 down to £36,490 so that can be factored in as well. The price wasn't reduced here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Teslablue

Unfortunately the Lydden is on its way to China and not Europe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement