Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭batts_not_incl

It's possible to steal anything. No amount of security or app control can prevent a thief from taking a car away on a trailer or truck. It could be broken and all parts sold before you get the insurance to pay up.

Fair point on the breaking. GPS tracking should reduce this likelihood, hopefully.
    Curious to know where most stolen cars in ireland end up, are they exported whole or broken up.
    Something I've never really thought about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Fair point on the breaking. GPS tracking should reduce this likelihood, hopefully.
    Curious to know where most stolen cars in ireland end up, are they exported whole or broken up.

You can turn on having to enter a pin number to drive.
    I'm fairly sure with this activated the entire car would need to be lifted into a truck to steal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

There was a thread recently where a car was stolen in Dublin and the owner was able to track it on GPS. The Gardai were involved, but the car headed north and went into NI and the GPS signal disappeared. The car was never recovered to my knowledge. :(

I would imagine that once a car is put into a shipping container, that's the end of the GPS signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,991 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Has anyone heard any stories about Model 3 regarding theft? Is it possible to steal one?
    I am thinking not, as even if your keycard is lifted, the car can be controlled remotely, so, similar to iPhones they could be rendered useless in the event? Any reports of it's technology being hacked or worked around regarding theft?
    Strikes me as something that people don't talk about enough when judging pros' and cons' versus ICE vehicles.
    Should greatly affect Insurance premiums also.
    Fast Cars with big boots used to be major targets in certain areas of the country, I seem to remember.

I wouldn't be too smug about Electric vs ICE. I have seen it stated that there has never been a single instance of a Honda Civic Type R being driven away without the key. I knew someone who had a Mitsubishi EVO IX. That had a comprehensive GPS based security suite with tracker and a mobile SIM. He said if he forgot to reconfigure the geo-fencing, the car would get an incoming call from the 24/7 monitoring service asking if everything was alright and asking him to confirm his identity and password. Had he not correctly responded they would have remotely disabled the car. Even the parts had concealed VINs. The paint on every panel included coded micro particles that could uniquely identify the car.

Nothing new under the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Sorry to jump into in here I haven't time to search through this long thread.

I haven't seen any Model 3 on Irish roads yet.

Are they out in Ireland now?

If I wanted to order one is it now just a 6 week waiting list?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,750 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

IrishHomer wrote: »

Out in UK + NI only, DC motors has a UK import to sell now.
    Estimated towards the middle of Q4 for ROI deliveries as we stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭batts_not_incl

cnocbui wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too smug about Electric vs ICE. I have seen it stated that there has never been a single instance of a Honda Civic Type R being driven away without the key. I knew someone who had a Mitsubishi EVO IX. That had a comprehensive GPS based security suite with tracker and a mobile SIM. He said if he forgot to reconfigure the geo-fencing, the car would get an incoming call from the 24/7 monitoring service asking if everything was alright and asking him to confirm his identity and password. Had he not correctly responded they would have remotely disabled the car. Even the parts had concealed VINs. The paint on every panel included coded micro particles that could uniquely identify the car.

Nothing new under the sun.

wow, that's pretty cool technology, hadn't heard of the Micro-Particle paint thing, pure James Bond ****. I guess where I was going with EV versus ICE is to do with ability to start the vehicle without co-operation from the software stack- strikes me as easier to do on an ICE car?
    Does the Tesla App/API have any mechanism for notifying you on your phone when car is started/doors unlocked?

IrishHomer wrote: »

None on Irish roads apart from the one in Sandyford that belongs to Tesla!
    The hope is that there will be cars delivered before the end of 2019.
    If you order now, you will not get a car in 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

jusmeig wrote: »
    None on Irish roads apart from the one in Sandyford that belongs to Tesla!
    The hope is that there will be cars delivered before the end of 2019.
    If you order now, you will not get a car in 6 weeks.

DC cars have a white Model 3

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/tesla/model-3/used-2019-192-tesla-model-3-standard-dublin-fpa-201906249351505

• Registered Users Posts: 21,750 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes I mentioned it above, I think you'd have to be mad to buy it and not wait for the Irish deliveries!
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Out in UK + NI only, DC motors has a UK import to sell now.
    Estimated towards the middle of Q4 for ROI deliveries as we stand.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »

Yes I mentioned it above, I think you'd have to be mad to buy it and not wait for the Irish deliveries!

Sorry I must have missed that. I was more commenting on the fact that there's a chance you'll see the non-test drive one out on the roads since this one is for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

Teslablue wrote: »
    It looks like Lydden has been scheduled as the first roro to pick up for Europe from Philadelphia for Tesla, if this keeps going it will halve the time from built to delivery to Europe and increase the probability of Irish deliveries in October.

It looks like you are dead right. Lots of Model 3's on their way by truck across the US to Philadelphia for faster delivery to Rosslare Europe..

https://twitter.com/PhilaPort/status/1168339663075074051

Philadelphia to Zeebrugge is 4k nautical miles by comparison to the 10k from San Francisco. More here: https://www.xautoworld.com/tesla/faster-deliveries-eu-uk-philaport/?fbclid=IwAR0-AJnkHywnb8zZgDyiw2sVlnWvqtlL4IqT4q1-0u4iKl5O-lNDRvo_XHI

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

jarrieta wrote: »
    I am also hoping to bring it to Mondello for track days, haven't had a car for track days in ages. Was hoping to buy a lotus but the price is never dropping for second hand ones and the practicality won't justify the price to pay, Evora is the most practical and is holding its price for the last 5 years, not coming down and a modern elise is the same

How about a 106 GTi? I have one for sale. Only 70k miles. :)

Sorry I must have missed that. I was more commenting on the fact that there's a chance you'll see the non-test drive one out on the roads since this one is for sale.

The person who ponies up an extra 6k to buy that has money to burn :)

You'd be surprised, plenty of people are buying luxury watches at more than double the RRP, I've no doubt it happens with cars too.

If you had the spare cash I bet you'd have 6k of fun before Tesla Sandyford start shipping :pac:.

You'd be surprised, plenty of people are buying luxury watches at more than double the RRP, I've no doubt it happens with cars too.

If you had the spare cash I bet you'd have 6k of fun before Tesla Sandyford start shipping :pac:.

It's a SR+ tho? Said people would (should!?) be shopping for a M3P!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

was there a price on it earlier?

It's a SR+ tho? Said people would (should!?) be shopping for a M3P!

true to some extent, I still wager someone will buy it to be first.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    was there a price on it earlier?

Someone on this or possibly another thread said they called and it's 6k more expensive that on tesla's site.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sln852

The 'Edit Design' button has returned and the VIN is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

sln852 wrote: »

They’ve started deliveries in Australia now too (after New Zealand last week).

Presume we’re still behind Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea and Macau.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

sln852 wrote: »
    Were you accessing it from a PC or mobile ? (The 'Edit Design' doesn't show in portrait on a mobile).

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sln852

BobbyBingo wrote: »
    Were you accessing it from a PC or mobile ? (The 'Edit Design' doesn't show in portrait on a mobile).

It was a desktop browser. The link had disappeared for a few days and there was a VIN in the source of the product-finalize page but it's back now and no sign of a VIN anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭sk8board

true to some extent, I still wager someone will buy it to be first.

Very wealthy people like unique things that other people can’t have/afford.
    This M3 would be ideal in theory, but most of those wealthy people shelled out S class Mercedes money (and much more in some cases) on a top-spec model S back in 2015 onwards, or even more on the X.

It’s like complaining that Mansory cars all look truly awful (they do!) - but really really wealthy people don’t want a normal Rolls Royce when they can have one that mere millionaires can’t afford. Hence Mansory exist and always will.

There’s always someone who will pay ‘overs’ for a rare/unique car to show the boys at the country club for those crucial few weeks or months that they can’t have one. €6k isn’t that much to that guy, esp if depreciation is lighter in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Teslablue

It’s terrible to see that the uk customers can order 2 months or more after we were open to orders and get their cars before ours, it reminds me of the time the iPhone came out and we were regarded as second class to the uk market. It maybe to do with them having a dictator similar to the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,991 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It looks like Tesla is trucking the Irish bound cars across the US unwrapped. Make sure you check the paintwork before accepting. It also must be costing $1300-1500 per car, so no wonder they can't turn a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,162 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Teslablue wrote: »
    It’s terrible to see that the uk customers can order 2 months or more after we were open to orders and get their cars before ours, it reminds me of the time the iPhone came out and we were regarded as second class to the uk market. It maybe to do with them having a dictator similar to the USA.

LOL it's not a food voucher system for the starving - everybody is equal. We are living in a capitalist system and companies should maximise profit. It looks like in order to maximise profit, Tesla should serve the UK market before the Irish market. Does that really surprise you?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

See this at 13.32 for a stolen Tesla Model 3 story.
    https://youtu.be/JASnVauHV28

BobbyBingo wrote: »
    It looks like you are dead right. Lots of Model 3's on their way by truck across the US to Philadelphia for faster delivery to Rosslare Europe..

https://twitter.com/PhilaPort/status/1168339663075074051

Philadelphia to Zeebrugge is 4k nautical miles by comparison to the 10k from San Francisco. More here: https://www.xautoworld.com/tesla/faster-deliveries-eu-uk-philaport/?fbclid=IwAR0-AJnkHywnb8zZgDyiw2sVlnWvqtlL4IqT4q1-0u4iKl5O-lNDRvo_XHI

There is only one RORO scheduled for philly port and that is the Atlantic Runner on the 24th of September, which is reported to have been decommissioned, so we will have to wait and see.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    LOL it's not a food voucher system for the starving - everybody is equal. We are living in a capitalist system and companies should maximise profit. It looks like in order to maximise profit, Tesla should serve the UK market before the Irish market. Does that really surprise you?

LOL no

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement