Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Disappointed obviously. The minute the Ref sent Hogan off I said the game was over. Personally I thought it was a little harsh and ruined the game. I still think Tipp would probably have won but it would have being a better game. The guys with be hurting terribly but need to pick themselves up and go back at it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭decies

As a Waterford fan putting it on the record I think he could have given a yellow to be honest . Would tipp still have won probably but we will never know now .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

As a Galway man I was delighted with our Minor win yesterday. Equally though, I was surprised with how modest the KK challenge was. Given the dominance of KK schools at colleges level, why should this be so?

In the Senior game, while much has already been written already about the sending-off, personally I think it only had a bearing on the winning margin. If ever a goal kick-started a team, it was O'Meara's yesterday, as suddenly Tipp' roared into live and their forwards started to move. While there was little he could do to stop the onslaught, I thought Cody was slow to make necessary changes. Cillian Buckley was very slack all day and surely should have been hooked earlier. Was Ger Aylward worth a run?

I know you've had this debate here before, but as bizarre as it sounds, is it getting to a stage where other counties are hoping Cody stays on as manager? Two heavy defeats in the finals to Tipp over the past 4 years, plus not reaching the semis' in the other 2 between. Is a new approach needed? Is Cody the man to blend in new talent, which may not be in abundant supply? I suppose the likes of Lawlor, Deegan, John Donnelly and Mullen are the future, but are they enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

See a lot of complaints about Barrett not getting red for the high tackle, it was a loose flick alright and should have been yellow but it’s never in a million years a red card.

If it wasn’t for Hogan’s red for a challenge on Barrett no one here would even consider that Barrett should have been sent off for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Corrigible

And the Oscar for best actor in an all Ireland hurling final goes to Cathal Barrett!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

I wonder if Barret had to do the same to Hogan would he have going down as quick I think no, the first incident between the two players Hogan had. to get medical attension his jersey had to be changed that says enough. There was an incident in the second half where Padraig Maher clearly had Bill Ryan in a head lock neither lines man or ref who was standing right beside them did nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭kk.man

Corrigible wrote: »
    And the Oscar for best actor in an all Ireland hurling final goes to Cathal Barrett!!

Hogan and Barrett were 'at it' from the word go. Hogan got caught. Was it a red card?

In the 'Irish' context (a nod and a wink) ..no it wasn't. Players from all counties have put referees under huge pressure in All Irelands down through out the years by knowing they are not going to issue a red (at least not early in a game).

In the rules of the game.. it was most definite a red card.

We lost yesterday plain and simple and I agree with Brian Cody our backs were 'heroic'. I would question some (not all) of our forwards ability to win high ball when they posses the distinct height advantage and take leadership.

We have found very nice players this year but the jury that was out on some of the established ones has returned with a verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭mullinr2

I keep saying this but for such a big man Walter is not great in the air. He doesn't position himself well enough to catch the ball. He is nearly always leaning back

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Exiled1

kk.man wrote: »
    Hogan and Barrett were 'at it' from the word go. Hogan got caught. Was it a red card?

In the 'Irish' context (a nod and a wink) ..no it wasn't. Players from all counties have put referees under huge pressure in All Irelands down through out the years by knowing they are not going to issue a red (at least not early in a game).

In the rules of the game.. it was most definite a red card.

We lost yesterday plain and simple and I agree with Brian Cody our backs were 'heroic'. I would question some (not all) of our forwards ability to win high ball when they posses the distinct height advantage and take leadership.

We have found very nice players this year but the jury that was out on some of the established ones has returned with a verdict.

Best analysis on the thread.
    The whole flow of Kilkenny's very good first period changed dramatically when Padraig Maher and Seamus Kennedy were swopped. Both JD and WW were immediately tied up bar a few later brave runs from JD. Both KK men and TJ were the only forwards taking the game to Tipp and when they were muzzled it was game over.
    It was not rocket science on Sheedy's part, merely a standard response when your respective wings are being cleaned out.
    Richie's sending off meant the end appeared noticeably earlier in the second half.
    Fair play to Tipp. Super defence and when they spread the play up front no team had a hope of holding them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭tibruit

MfMan wrote: »
    As a Galway man I was delighted with our Minor win yesterday. Equally though, I was surprised with how modest the KK challenge was. Given the dominance of KK schools at colleges level, why should this be so?

In the Senior game, while much has already been written already about the sending-off, personally I think it only had a bearing on the winning margin. If ever a goal kick-started a team, it was O'Meara's yesterday, as suddenly Tipp' roared into live and their forwards started to move. While there was little he could do to stop the onslaught, I thought Cody was slow to make necessary changes. Cillian Buckley was very slack all day and surely should have been hooked earlier. Was Ger Aylward worth a run?

I know you've had this debate here before, but as bizarre as it sounds, is it getting to a stage where other counties are hoping Cody stays on as manager? Two heavy defeats in the finals to Tipp over the past 4 years, plus not reaching the semis' in the other 2 between. Is a new approach needed? Is Cody the man to blend in new talent, which may not be in abundant supply? I suppose the likes of Lawlor, Deegan, John Donnelly and Mullen are the future, but are they enough?

I think as a Galway fella, you`d be far better off concerning yourself with where your own prodigious talents keep disappearing to between minor and senior level. We`ll worry about our own house here thanks very much. Anyone who says that Tipp were the better team yesterday fundamentally fail to understand the game in my opinion. It was common knowledge that we needed to cut the supply to Tipps inside forwards and we had been doing that really well up to the sending off.

Once we went a man down there was only going to be one result. It`s a pity the ref didn`t spend more time with his linesman and whoever was in his ear upstairs examining the earlier Barrett tackle on Hogan. A high pull with the hurl, no intent to play the ball resulting in an actual facial injury. If there was any consistency Barrett should have walked for that challenge. As someone who spent a lot of money on tickets for the kids etc and have been doing so all year, I felt mugged by the refs decision yesterday.

I hope when the dust settles, Ritchie gives it another year. Barring injury and with his skill levels, I`d say he`s that kind of player that could play intercounty into his mid thirties. Either way he owes us nothing and is a true KK legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Just on the minors, disappointing performance yesterday but I did like the look of Halpin at FB. He attacked the ball well, winning a lot of ball out in front.
    As for Richie, after everything he has done to get himself back playing, I really hope he comes back next year. He's still young enough, once the body is able for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

tibruit wrote: »
    I think as a Galway fella, you`d be far better off concerning yourself with where your own prodigious talents keep disappearing to between minor and senior level. We`ll worry about our own house here thanks very much. Anyone who says that Tipp were the better team yesterday fundamentally fail to understand the game in my opinion. It was common knowledge that we needed to cut the supply to Tipps inside forwards and we had been doing that really well up to the sending off.

Once we went a man down there was only going to be one result. It`s a pity the ref didn`t spend more time with his linesman and whoever was in his ear upstairs examining the earlier Barrett tackle on Hogan. A high pull with the hurl, no intent to play the ball resulting in an actual facial injury. If there was any consistency Barrett should have walked for that challenge. As someone who spent a lot of money on tickets for the kids etc and have been doing so all year, I felt mugged by the refs decision yesterday.

I hope when the dust settles, Ritchie gives it another year. Barring injury and with his skill levels, I`d say he`s that kind of player that could play intercounty into his mid thirties. Either way he owes us nothing and is a true KK legend.

Remind us which team was ahead when R Hogan was sent off. And then think about which team was playing with the elements in their favour in the 2nd half.

Bad year for grapes down your way.

Exiled1 wrote: »
    Best analysis on the thread.
    The whole flow of Kilkenny's very good first period changed dramatically when Padraig Maher and Seamus Kennedy were swopped. Both JD and WW were immediately tied up bar a few later brave runs from JD. Both KK men and TJ were the only forwards taking the game to Tipp and when they were muzzled it was game over.
    It was not rocket science on Sheedy's part, merely a standard response when your respective wings are being cleaned out.
    Richie's sending off meant the end appeared noticeably earlier in the second half.
    Fair play to Tipp. Super defence and when they spread the play up front no team had a hope of holding them.

You were watching a different game than me. Donnelly was at least as good in the second half under more extreme conditons (the extra man) as he was in the first until he tired in the final few minutes. Wallies confidence is not where it should be and hasn`t been all year.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ah here, Tipp were on fire before the red. They had just gone a point up after being 5 down about 7 or 8 earlier.

I reckon they would have beaten us anyway.

And Hogan was rightly sent off. Absolutely nobody can suggest it wasn’t. If Paudie Maher or someone connects with one of our players in the jaw we’d scream blue bloody murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭C__MC

Is it to much the ask question as to why kk couldn't adjust like tipp in the semi ?

BOSTIK wrote: »
    Remind us which team was ahead when R Hogan was sent off. And then think about which team was playing with the elements in their favour in the 2nd half.

Bad year for grapes down your way.

You know, as I was at the game and I haven`t watched the full replay, I`m not exactly sure. But I`m guessing that Tipp were a point ahead. Given yere inclination to buckle down the final stretch in tight games over the years, I`d say we were still in with a shout until the ref intervened.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Just back after the game and it will be remembered for the red card. I've only seen it in real time so don't know whether it was the right call or not my initial opinion was that it was mistimed and late yellow card and a free out. I think the standard of referees this year has been appalling and all the focus is on them especially the 2 semi finals and yesterday. I think they need to take into consideration the momentum of the players, the conditions, what was the intent and is it deemed a dangerous challenge. If it was a red then what was Richie doing but the ref had no consistency. Richie was hit early on but no card. Aside from that at 8-3 we were cruising and could have had goals then tipp to there credit came roaring back, we seemed to lack the same intensity and workrate as the limerick match and some woeful wides. Tipp were on top, were ahead and had all the momentum when the red card happened. That ended the game as a competitive one. I do think now with all the scrutiny maybe a TV ref like in rugby with the tmo should be looked at

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Garyp88 wrote: »
    I think they need to take into consideration the momentum of the players, the conditions, what was the intent and is it deemed a dangerous challenge.

Momentum & the weather conditions...do not make a player throw the elbow. It might affect their balance with respect to feet etc but not throwing out an elbow.

There was clear intent...watch available footage from all angles...the final angle is the nail in the coffin. In realtime the intent is clear.

Dangerous challenge...elbow to head...the rules at the start of the year said anything from the neck up was a red card offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭kk.man

You were watching a different game than me. Donnelly was at least as good in the second half under more extreme conditons (the extra man) as he was in the first until he tired in the final few minutes. Wallies confidence is not where it should be and hasn`t been all year.[/QUOT

reply by mistake on my behalf.

• Advertisement

So what about the challenge on hogan beforehand that was the neck up

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pissedasanewt

Just back after the game and it will be remembered for the red card. I've only seen it in real time so don't know whether it was the right call or not my initial opinion was that it was mistimed and late yellow card and a free out. I think the standard of referees this year has been appalling and all the focus is on them especially the 2 semi finals and yesterday. I think they need to take into consideration the momentum of the players, the conditions, what was the intent and is it deemed a dangerous challenge. If it was a red then what was Richie doing but the ref had no consistency. Richie was hit early on but no card. Aside from that at 8-3 we were cruising and could have had goals then tipp to there credit came roaring back, we seemed to lack the same intensity and workrate as the limerick match and some woeful wides. Tipp were on top, were ahead and had all the momentum when the red card happened. That ended the game as a competitive one. I do think now with all the scrutiny maybe a TV ref like in rugby with the tmo should be looked at

But everything looks worse in slow motion. Its odd that they wouldn't show any replays in Croke park, the only thing they seemed to show was Hogan sitting in the stand..

The minors were disappointing, but all you need to 2 or 3 to bulk up and come through in a few years, meanwhile the next generation of Galway minors to disappear once they hit University looks great. Although 12 and 14 points in two finals isn't great.. not exactly free scoring.

Yellow card at best. No intent to injure the player at all. In my opinion, and I agree we all have different opinions here...the clear and obvious difference between the 2 was intent.

AND...no mention of that incident up to and including the red card...sorry...but clutching at straws here (in my opinion). Let's agree to disagree :)

laoisfan wrote: »

Yellow card at best. No intent to injure the player at all. In my opinion, and I agree we all have different opinions here...the clear and obvious difference between the 2 was intent.

I don't think any player goes out personally to injure another and if that is the case there's no place for it. Intent or not you have quoted anything neck up is a red card and he did just that, the matter of time to make the decision shows there was doubt but no consistency I do think in situations like that and given its a final although its no excuse a TV official would certainly help its great in rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

Plenty of new posters in here today, not really tipperary fans either from what I can see. Glad some of the neutrals are enjoying it.

We found a few this year and had a good year overall, much better than we expected. Cody did some job getting us there and yesterday just went the against us and tipp deserved our win. If we took our goal chance when it was 8pts to 3 it would have changed the game. All in all we are where we are and we shouldn't be justifying anything to neutrals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

laoisfan wrote: »

AND...no mention of that incident up to and including the red card...sorry...but clutching at straws here (in my opinion). Let's agree to disagree :)

I don't think the rules specify intent. Maybe we need a video review and appeal system in place for these incidents. Hogan should have been allowed to raise the tackle on him. He was bleeding after all.

I don't think any player goes out personally to injure another and if that is the case there's no place for it. Intent or not you have quoted anything neck up is a red card and he did just that, the matter of time to make the decision shows there was doubt but no consistency I do think in situations like that and given its a final although its no excuse a TV official would certainly help its great in rugby.

Indeed I did quote that :) however...this is where I agree with Shefflin in so far as common sense has to also prevail when following rules...and issuing red cards. The ref took his time and consulted his linesman...didn't react straight away. You could say he applied common sense.

But hey...we can argue til the cows come home...even if KK still had 15 on the pitch I believe they would have lost possibly by a smaller margin.

I'm not a neutral either :) Live in Laois (close to the Laois-Tipperary border) and kids go to school in Tipperary...plus have relatives in Nenagh.

Sorry :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

I'd prefer a game where Hogan gets a yellow for the challenge on Barrett, and Barrett concedes just a free for his tackle on Hogan with no card, but the game is only going one direction now unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

But everything looks worse in slow motion. Its odd that they wouldn't show any replays in Croke park, the only thing they seemed to show was Hogan sitting in the stand..

Replays of fouls and other incidents that could be deemed controversial are never shown in Croke Park.
    I think they could of been for the first few years after the screens went in, but certainly not in a long, long time !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Big Ears wrote: »
    Replays of fouls and other incidents that could be deemed controversial are never shown in Croke Park.
    I think they could of been for the first few years after the screens went in, but certainly not in a long, long time !

I think Mattie Forde's stamping incident, which was replayed over and over on the big screen killed the Replays. Incidentally, I was at that game. It must have been a curtain raiser to a kilkenny hurling match?

About big screen / camerawork in general. I didn't like the continuous close ups of Hogan following the sending off. In what was possibly the lads most upsetting moments in his life it didn't sit easy with me. They did the same with John McGrath V Wexford.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement