Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Looking at it coldly we didn't score goals Tipp got three. Goals play a huge part in the psychology of a match. It's hard to out point a side which gets three goals.

We need to look at

1. why we conceded three.
    2. why we didn't score any.
    3. why we persisted in raining ball down on top of a dominant Tipp defence a forward down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

when you see it from one angle it is a definite red card offence, hard to argue any different really.
    As others said, you would have to be proud of the team despite the result. I thought the defenders, especially Huw and Joey did well, although the distribution from some, especially Deegan was poor. The tactics in the second half were wrong but I don't think we could stop Tipp either way, some of their scores were outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

No complaints about red. However, contrast Tommy Walsh getting straight up after a pull across his head with Barrett trying to get a man sent off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

blackcard wrote: »
    No complaints about red. However, contrast Tommy Walsh getting straight up after a pull across his head with Barrett trying to get a man sent off

As a neutral it was a red card offense no question. Heat of moment stuff but you can’t go in so recklessly. Arguing about other incidents is like arguing with the guard when caught speeding that plenty others do it and never get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

As a neutral it was a red card offense no question. Heat of moment stuff but you can’t go in so recklessly. Arguing about other incidents is like arguing with the guard when caught speeding that plenty others do it and never get caught.
    If you read my post, I had no complaints about the red card. Barrett milked it though in contrast to Tommy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

If you read my post, I had no complaints about the red card. Barrett milked it though in contrast to Tommy

You get an elbow from into face from someone running at you with pace i’d like to see your reaction. What has Walsh incident got to do with it anyway?

You get an elbow from into face from someone running at you with pace i’d like to see your reaction. What has Walsh incident got to do with it anyway?

I assume he is saying that Walsh took it as part and parcel of the game and that Barrett milked it to get Hogan sent off. What no one has answered is how Richie got his bloodied nose and if by foul play no one was brought to book for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Exactly that is the point, the Barrett foul was just as wreckless on Richie, Munster Legend neutral, yeah right lol

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Exactly that is the point, the Barrett foul was just as wreckless on Richie, Munster Legend neutral, yeah right lol
    richie fouled roynd the head by barrett nothing given.murphy fouled by forde around the head only yellow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

dubcat51 wrote: »
    richie fouled roynd the head by barrett nothing given.murphy fouled by forde around the head only yellow

Tyrell shoulder charge to callinan no free Power over carries the ball Penalty to Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

dubcat51 wrote: »

Just about around the neck, and in no way comparable. Hogan went to do Barrett.

And why???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

This is absolute nonsense, sorry if this is how you feel you don't know what you are talking about.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Tyrell shoulder charge to callinan no free Power over carries the ball Penalty to Kilkenny.

Not that your are bitter or anything bringing this up 10 years later on a day that Tipp win an All Ireland hammering Kilkenny in the process. Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

he went to shoulder him not do him.whole thing ruined the game as it was just getting going.as I said earlier we will never know how the game would have went 15 v 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Tyrell shoulder charge to callinan no free Power over carries the ball Penalty to Kilkenny.[/QUOTE

Padraig Maher finishes Michael Rice , Power didn't over carry he was actually fouled twice before the penalty was given. What about Callanan shoulder on a kilkenny player he had to be stretchered off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Comerman

Please lads don't bite for these new posters, they're only here to snipe. Hogan's red was fair enough but Tipp should of had a red for Barretts slap on Hogan and a couple of yellow for clinical fouling around the goal BUT at the end of the day they were better finishers and took some great scores. Best of luck to them. We got to an all Ireland when at the beginning of the season we expected feck all.

Comerman wrote: »
    We got to an all Ireland when at the beginning of the season we expected feck all.

That's kind of how I feel too. Listen it's never nice to lose an All Ireland. But it could be the spring board for a new good run if lessons are learned and the panel get to improve next year through experience and new blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

https://twitter.com/i/status/1163206344201125895

This is where Ritchie got the belt in the nose

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

https://twitter.com/i/status/1163206344201125895

This is where Ritchie got the belt in the nose

How could anybody think there was a red card in that

• Advertisement

radharc wrote: »

He clatters Richie at face height when the ball was chest height so yes it was reckless and even with a helmet he was left bleeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

radharc wrote: »

Was there a yellow card in it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

If Hogan had to fall to the ground like a ton of bricks and stay down it might have been a different story.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

They're completely different incidents tbf.
    The red card incident did not look like a run of the mill clash.
    Hogan was trying to clatter Barrett butt got the timing wrong.
    That's the risk you take when you're making no attempt at the ball.
    Its a definite red card.

Btw I think it's very harsh to say Barrett dived.
    He took an elbow to the head and seemed understandably dazed by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

vetinari wrote: »
    They're completely different incidents tbf.
    The red card incident did not look like a run of the mill clash.
    Hogan was trying to clatter Barrett butt got the timing wrong.
    That's the risk you take when you're making no attempt at the ball.
    Its a definite red card.

Btw I think it's very harsh to say Barrett dived.
    He took an elbow to the head and seemed understandably dazed by it.

Any one that has played hurling knows how hurt Barrett was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

He got hit from the side, Barrett then flung his head backwards jumped up in the air with his legs behind him and flung himself to the ground... It was a red card but theirs no need for that carry on... Leave it to the premiership players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭tibruit

holyhead wrote: »
    Looking at it coldly we didn't score goals Tipp got three. Goals play a huge part in the psychology of a match. It's hard to out point a side which gets three goals.

We need to look at

1. why we conceded three.
    2. why we didn't score any.
    3. why we persisted in raining ball down on top of a dominant Tipp defence a forward down.

1. The sending off.
    2. The sending off.
    3. The sending off.

It was in the melting pot until then and I thought it was marginal. Barretts head was down and Ritchies elbow was barely raised. Minimal contact and Barrett should be ashamed of himself for milking it like he did. Should have been given the benefit of the doubt on a greasy surface. Lawlor did really well under severe pressure in the second half and I thought Donnelly was outstanding again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pissedasanewt

Tipp should have racked up a few yellows before the sending off. Am i right in thinking for first card in the game was the red and then a Tipp player in the 2nd half for a round the neck challenge on TJ was the next card shown? even though it wasn't the first challenge like that and in the 2nd half a Tipp player lying on the ground in the penalty area flung his hurl across the penalty box as KK were trying to get through and the ref was right there. Definite penalty. But Tipp should have had one too in the first half.

Refs need to book players cynically hauling down attackers. TJ got a lot of frees in the first half and the ref didn't see fit to hand out a card to stamp it out?!

I thought KK were unlucky not to get a break of a ball around the goal, nothing quite went to hand or maybe they are missing a few lads with killer instincts. But the long high ball tactic once the goals went in was stupid. They could have picked off points from distance and started to reel Tipp in, put the pressure back on them. They did the same against Wexford when they didn't need to go that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pissedasanewt

Oh and Tipps goals had nothing to do the being down to 14 men.. if the ref isn't handing out cards for cynical challenges then bury the Tipp player running at you. Just take him in the mid riff and bring him down, its what they did to us.

• Advertisement

Oh and Tipps goals had nothing to do the being down to 14 men.. if the ref isn't handing out cards for cynical challenges then bury the Tipp player running at you. Just take him in the mid riff and bring him down, its what they did to us.

I think in the cold light of day Tipp were the better side. Yes we got five points in front in the first half but Tipp reeled us in. The sending off definitely had an impact on the game. No question. We'll be back hopefully. It will be a good learning curve for the younger lads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement