Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Seadin wrote: »
    There was going to be only one winner yesterday and it wasn't going to be the cats. Tipp had KK on the ropes well before the ref intervened with the red. Tipp rarely buckle in finals. They trimmed the cats in 3 All Ireland finals in this decade and have had more success in head to head final appearances. I wouldn't call that buckling.
    only 1 winner your having a laugh.bubbles and callinan didnt score in the first half.got 2-7 in the second half.couldnt see that 15 v15.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Powerhouse wrote: »
    To be fair this extra work showed on the day. While TJ Reid was running around the place during the parade Tipperary stayed in formation even after Kilkenny broke away. You cannot beat attention to detail.

That's babs for ya thought he should have gone up and lifted the cup aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Seadin

dubcat51 wrote: »
    only 1 winner your having a laugh.bubbles and callinan didnt score in the first half.got 2-7 in the second half.couldnt see that 15 v15.

I thought a full game is 70 mins right and few mins overtime? Tipp lead at half time too. Kilkenny started well but when Tipp got the first goal i knew Kilkenny would struggle. They got on top and KK couldn't handle the pressure then. No fault of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

I do think momentum had started to shift away from us even before halftime. You can talk about the ebbs and flows of a game, but unlike so many times in the past, I was not confident that we would prevail.

Too many things going the wrong way, for the type of game we play.

All the BS beforehand about Adrian Mullen's condition, Richie heavily strapped, Buckley looked to me like he was hobbling a bit as he came off, as opposed to simply not being match-fit for a full 70.

I said it at half time in the semi, that a couple of our forwards already looked tired. We need to be sure that strength and conditioning are at the highest level.

Delighted in particular for Huw Lawlor, who acquitted himself with honours in the face of a lot of speculation beforehand.

It was bonus territory to be in the final, but I was not expecting that trimming.

None of those lads, especially Richie Hogan, owe any of us a damn thing.

Still top of the Roll of Honour, and will be for a long time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

I do think momentum had started to shift away from us even before halftime. You can talk about the ebbs and flows of a game, but unlike so many times in the past, I was not confident that we would prevail.

Too many things going the wrong way, for the type of game we play.

All the BS beforehand about Adrian Mullen's condition, Richie heavily strapped, Buckley looked to me like he was hobbling a bit as he came off, as opposed to simply not being match-fit for a full 70.

I said it at half time in the semi, that a couple of our forwards already looked tired. We need to be sure that strength and conditioning are at the highest level.

Delighted in particular for Huw Lawlor, who acquitted himself with honours in the face of a lot of speculation beforehand.

It was bonus territory to be in the final, but I was not expecting that trimming.

None of those lads, especially Richie Hogan, owe any of us a damn thing.

Still top of the Roll of Honour, and will be for a long time to come.

Why did we have 27 players warming up before the start? I thought you could only have a panel of 26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭tibruit

I pretty much said all that in a earlier post.
    But we are grasping at straws if we think barrett should have seen red .possible yellow for careless use.

The rule for careless use makes no mention of causing injury and is a yellow. Barretts challenge was reckless because it caused injury. It`s a straight red. In fact as far as I can see, even if he had connected with the ball he could still technically have seen red.

Hogans challenge on Barrett was technically a straight red. It wasn`t actually an elbow but his upper arm grazed Barretts faceguard. The point of it all is that you`d like to think that common sense would have prevailed and there would be no sendings off even though Hogan did get a bloody nose and Barrett wasn`t injured at all.

tibruit wrote: »
    The rule for careless use makes no mention of causing injury and is a yellow. Barretts challenge was reckless because it caused injury. It`s a straight red. In fact as far as I can see, even if he had connected with the ball he could still technically have seen red.

Hogans challenge on Barrett was technically a straight red. It wasn`t actually an elbow but his upper arm grazed Barretts faceguard. The point of it all is that you`d like to think that common sense would have prevailed and there would be no sendings off even though Hogan did get a bloody nose and Barrett wasn`t injured at all.

Two yellows an you don't ruin the biggest game of the year.would have been fair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Comerman

Great turn out tonight for both teams, well deserved and earned. Roll on the club games

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

I think when he walked back to look at Barrett and he was still lying down that made his mind up. To me these things mark players reputations in the long term way after a result matters. All Ireland’s that’s are won after a battle mean a lot more than farcical ones, Kilkenny wins in 2006 and 2009 meant a lot more than other games that we won handy, Tipp will know they may have dodged a bullet yesterday and while they will rightfully enjoy it there will always be a question mark on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Antics21

I think when he walked back to look at Barrett and he was still lying down that made his mind up. To me these things mark players reputations in the long term way after a result matters. All Ireland’s that’s are won after a battle mean a lot more than farcical ones, Kilkenny wins in 2006 and 2009 meant a lot more than other games that we won handy, Tipp will know they may have dodged a bullet yesterday and while they will rightfully enjoy it there will always be a question mark on it.

Ah no this is a sweet one. To hear Kilkenny complaining so much about a referee is particularly enjoyable after 09.
    Ye have been living off playing with an "edge" and "manly" hurling, aided and abetted by a cosy relationship with certain referees. Yesterday the wheel turned on ye and I can understand why yere former players are so vocally incredulous in the media. I've great resepect for Kilkenny hurling and the level ye brought the game to, but ye believed yere own sh*t talk about bringing animal intensity, and smothering games and a player of yeres lost the head and did something rash.
    Hard luck but it was a red every day of the week and twice on a Sunday.

• Advertisement

Don't bite please, time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

Rubbish
    3 finals since 2010 , tipp have hammered kilkenny
    There so call mentally fragile forwards have torn the kilkenny defence inside out at a canter in 16 and 19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

I think it is time to thank Brian Cody for his service and ask him to step down. It is time to give somebody else a chance. He is, and will remain the GAA's greatest ever manager. For about 6 years now we have been utterly one dimensional and predictable. We seem to be unable to react to adversity and to go down so timidly to Tipp in 2 finals is not good enough. Ultimately management take responsibility.

This was raised after the Leinster final. I was one of the first to shoot it down and said it was a discussion to be had when the season is over. That time is now. Decide who is interested, identify who you want and allow them have a good look at the club campaign.

Cody wouldn't be short of offers from clubs. And even other counties. In fact I would love to see what he could do with wexford...

Would take him in Waterford in a heartbeat.
    We will gladly swap ye Derek McGrath for him. Throw in Fanning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Those forwards were doing nothing when it was 15 v 15, fair play they are fabulous scoring forwards in an open game with great stick work but they were being well marshalled and it would have been a true test on how good they really are now, hats off in 2016 you destroyed us but I think we are a much stronger unit defensively now. I agree we probably got the rub of the green in 2009 with the Richie Power penalty but we didn’t try to get Benny sent off!

Would take him in Waterford in a heartbeat.
    We will gladly swap ye Derek McGrath for him. Throw in Fanning too.

Ah stopitwillya

John Donnelly surely deserved a nomination as motm
    Some performances from a chap in his first all Ireland
    19 possessions
    3 points
    3 assists
    Hope he drives on now him and Lawler and Mullen the real deal.

In saying that noel McGrath had 35 possessions in the second half alone .but that was on a team with a extra man.

Antics21 wrote: »
    Ah no this is a sweet one. To hear Kilkenny complaining so much about a referee is particularly enjoyable after 09.
    Ye have been living off playing with an "edge" and "manly" hurling, aided and abetted by a cosy relationship with certain referees. Yesterday the wheel turned on ye and I can understand why yere former players are so vocally incredulous in the media. I've great resepect for Kilkenny hurling and the level ye brought the game to, but ye believed yere own sh*t talk about bringing animal intensity, and smothering games and a player of yeres lost the head and did something rash.
    Hard luck but it was a red every day of the week and twice on a Sunday.

Ffs don`t tell me you`re still whinging about `09. KK won the first half by 3 points, cleaned ye out in the last 10 minutes to win by 5, the ref gave ye 21 frees and KK only 11 and here you are a decade later still complaining about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Motivator

tibruit wrote: »

This is one embarrassing view of events. Barrett went to win the ball and mistimed it, what was he meant to do just leave Hogan run away from him? If there were reds dished out for that then games would be abandoned left right and center as half the players would get the line. For a team and county that championed themselves on playing hard hurling for years, the crying and moaning that has gone on over the last 24 hours is pathetic.

For those saying Hogan isn’t “one of those players”, take a look at the below. A cowardly hit by a player who has been at that kind of carry on for years. Yesterday was once too often and it smacked of frustration for a player clearly far beyond his best.

https://youtu.be/nieYEpQgIqg

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

I think when he walked back to look at Barrett and he was still lying down that made his mind up.

Barrett was standing up when he went back to check. Don’t think there was too much wrong with him tbh. Naturally he had to go through the concussion protocols.

Motivator wrote: »
    This is one embarrassing view of events. Barrett went to win the ball and mistimed it, what was he meant to do just leave Hogan run away from him? If there were reds dished out for that then games would be abandoned left right and center as half the players would get the line. For a team and county that championed themselves on playing hard hurling for years, the crying and moaning that has gone on over the last 24 hours is pathetic.

For those saying Hogan isn’t “one of those players”, take a look at the below. A cowardly hit by a player who has been at that kind of carry on for years. Yesterday was once too often and it smacked of frustration for a player clearly far beyond his best.

Your first statement is so ironic given what follows.
    Barrett was meant to not hit another player across the head. If you apply your logic, Hogan went for a shoulder and mistimed it. What was he meant to do just let Barrett run away from him? Looks pretty similar doesn’t it.
    We pride ourselves on playing honest hurling and still do. For years people talked ****e about Cody not giving a free in training as if we were sort of wild animals. The reality is we like to play hurling and that’s it. We don’t like to dive and fall around the place.

A single other mistimed tackle doesn’t make him a dirty player. 2 incidents from a player who has been playing with Kilkenny since 2008? I reckon he’s played around 80 times for Kilkenny in the period so 2 bad tackles in that time isn’t bad. I could easily give examples of Tipp players who have made far mor cowardly tackles over the years but we won’t go there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Haha that clip is the best you can come up with, a slightly late harmless shoulder where Connors goes down like a tonne of bricks, pathetic all round.

Have you ever considered that you have some sort of PTSD from the absolute poundings Kilkenny handed out to Waterford over the years?

And as for cowardly, your deleted post about Hogan, posted anonymously, was the very definition of cowardly

The point I made was there should have been no sending off, so still championing the hard hurling. The main issue is that it all required a bit of consistency that didn`t tilt things in favour of one team or the other. Modern referees generally are loose with the rulebook and I think that when they let things flow, it is for the good of the game. But they must be consistent and Owens failed in that regard on Sunday.

Any player is going to have an incident in his past that he mightn`t be proud of. Hogan has been a marked man at the top level for 12 years. Digging out a single example and accusing him of being at it for years is a bit ridiculous frankly.

For those saying Hogan isn’t “one of those players”, take a look at the below. A cowardly hit by a player who has been at that kind of carry on for years. Yesterday was once too often and it smacked of frustration for a player clearly far beyond his best

Maybe you are just on here looking for a rise from kilkenny supporters who are feeling a bit frustrated at
    Aspects of yesterday's game.
    I would call it a marginal red but couldn't really complain.
    But don't come on here trying to blacken the name of one of the finest stick men to play for kilkenny in any decade.
    His aerial abilities for someone of his stature is simply
    Unmatched in modern hurling. Coupled with his scoring abilities. He has the medals and all stars to show that and a hoty.
    "That carry on for years " quote is just nonsense you found a clip of a league match in spring and decided that what this guys Career is about.
    You probably had to sift through all the amazing scores before you found it.
    But fair play you did .now go off and celebrate your win.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

go off and celebrate your win.

He is from Waterford. Doubt he remembers what a win feels like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Not much to see there.

It's obvious from Richie's reaction there that the Waterford defender was ham acting.

So, a man with twelve seasons of senior inter-county hurling. And not a big man in physical stature at that. And you are offering yesterday and one incident in 2017 as 'at that kind of carry on for years.'

Go away and have a chat with yourself, would you ?

I’m still dining out on 2017 in Thurles. Watching Kilkenny fans running for the exits was hugely satisfying that night. Cody getting absolutely spanked on the sideline again by Liam Sheedy on the biggest stage of all, for the second time, is my personal highlight of the summer. We didn’t have much else to celebrate in Waterford this summer but at least we got to see Kilkenny humiliated yesterday.

It’s a sad state of affairs when the best part of your year is watching another team lose. No wonder a Waterford haven’t won a championship match in 2 years and have one of the worst grounds in the country... when you’re too concerned about your noisy neighbours, you forget about your own house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Can I say that Motivator does not speak for Waterford only himself? Hard luck yesterday, losing is never easy for anyone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I enjoy reading other counties threads, you can gain a great insight/information.

That is until they get warped by posters talking complete shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Can I say that Motivator does not speak for Waterford only himself? Hard luck yesterday, losing is never easy for anyone.

This one hurt much more than 2016 for some reason, despite coming into the year with zero expectations of making a final let alone winning one. Probably the circumstances, I suppose. Anyway, people like Motivator (what a misnomer) with nothing positive to say for themselves or for anyone else have a habit of infecting others with the same negativity. I'd actually love to see Waterford win an All Ireland. I'd just love it more if nobody told Motivator it had happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Philip82

Someone please set up an " Im an angry man thread" please. Childish behaviour.
    Every match at every level from under age up you could say are filled with errors, rights,wrongs,controversy maybe. Thats the nature of the game and they always get over reaction from the participating teams. Reality is the game is over, Tipp are 2019 winners, Kk are 2009 winners.
    You deal with the cards youve been dealt with throughout a match, tipp failed to deal with it in 09 and fell apart and yesterday we never looked like setting a plan and ultimately fell apart also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement