Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

inthehat wrote: »
    Unfair to blame Ritchie for the trouncing we got. The red card was harsh. A yellow would have been sufficient punishment. He made a mistake and it had an impact but Tipp were just way ahead of us once they got going. We would have been beaten anyway IMO.

It was a fully warranted red and at a time in the game when we needed to take a couple of deep breaths. Hopefully that's the last of Hogan, he's been treading water for a while even putting today aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Absolute crap.neck and neck until sending off.we will nwver know how things would have panned out.just like henry v cork in 13

Blinkered there.

Neck and neck, yes, but we had been 8pts to 3pts ahead after c.21 minutes.

The trend was going in the wrong direction for us, and they hadn't really got going at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

It was a straight red all day long under the rules, he moved the elbow out on purpose.

It came at a time when Kilkenny were flagging a bit; Tipp had started very nervously but we needed to hit them for a few goals early and it just didn't happen. Second half was a washout in every sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Disappointing day. Really we were in bonus territory being in the final. We just do not have the hurlers to win an All Ireland. I thought John Donnelly had a great game for us today.
    Our minors also had a terrible day.
    Two trouncings in both games.
    Where do we go after this?
    In all fairness to, Tipp are just awesome when they get into the groove. They are a bit like Barcelona in soccer. Really class hurlers

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Topcat32

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Disappointing day. Really we were in bonus territory being in the final. We just do not have the hurlers to win an All Ireland. I thought John Donnelly had a great game for us today.
    Our minors also had a terrible day.
    Two trouncings in both games.
    Where do we go after this?
    In all fairness to, Tipp are just awesome when they get into the groove. They are a bit like Barcelona in soccer. Really class hurlers

Honestly although that is joint open forum, if you are ready a kilkenny person from dungarvan close to Gowran, I'll openly and gladly risky a ban by saying you are an absolute ****. Which is maybe what you want.

• Advertisement

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Honestly although that is joint open forum, if you are ready a kilkenny person from dungarvan close to Gowran, I'll openly and gladly risky a ban by saying you are an absolute ****. Which is maybe what you want.

What's the problem ?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Saddleview

Weirdly I'm incredibly proud of the team today. In the first 10 mins of the second half it looked as if we could have lost something like 45 pts to 15. But they kept going, especially the backs, even when it was a totally demoralisng effort of hitting ball up to tipp's spare man and the knock effect of them getting their heads up for the perfect ball into attack like 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭me89

Huw Lawlor was very good, he really stood up in the second half. We have fullback sorted for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Philip82

Tipp deserving winners on the day overall. We looked good in the first twenty minutes and maybe had a chance of a goal or two while at the same time a lot of scores were from frees while tipp prob should have had a penalty too. Tipp were starting to find their men better after they got the goal and looked dangerous. Sending off was harsh for All Ireland day but in reality if it were the first round of the league it wouldnt be questioned. I honestly thought he would send off Forde to balance the books. Disappointed how Kilkenny played after the sending off, never tried to work the lines and lacked pace and movement when they needed runners off the shoulder to work the ball to a scoring position. Tipp were awesome at the back in the second half and they just ate up all the high ball. Our all ireland was probably played the last day, very hard to reproduce that level again so soon. Billy Ryan looked hungry again for ball and was the best of our subs, perhaps we should have emptied the bench more but the game was up after 45 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

BloodyBill wrote: »
    I wont deny that fact. Kilkenny deserved to win that semi but today showed their limitations. They are tough as nails but they are lacking hurlers. Fennelly barging around the place gets u so far. He got 2 frees by barging today . Wally was poor...TJ did ok..but youd have to admit they havent the players right now to win an All Ireland.
    Absolute crap.we will never know what would have happened had richie not being sent off.game was only getting going.we will necer know just like henry in 13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Blinkered there.

Neck and neck, yes, but we had been 8pts to 3pts ahead after c.21 minutes.

The trend was going in the wrong direction for us, and they hadn't really got going at all.
    Every team has a purple patch.games with tipp and kk ebb and flow and for me richie started quite well.also he was fouled around the head just before being sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭1373

Better team won no doubt, but the scoreline was tough to take. The red was harsh and ruined the match but I don't think we can have any complaints either. Will take a bit of recovering, very depressing one to lose in such a fashion

It might feel harsh but it was also warranted. From my experience of playing and watching gaa , when a player goes in at speed to give a big hit , the elbow usually comes up if he feels he’s going to miss with the shoulder . It’s just a bad habit and means nothing if you don’t connect with the head

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Should have been three yellows, Barrett might have a medal but he let himself down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Tipp players and people dont care that's what they are like

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭droppingball

Thought Huw Lawlor had a freat game besides a 5 minute period, he won a lot of 50 50s, besides when seamie set up the goal.

Donnelly hurled well also, few hits, catches and scores. Hopefully the younger lads can learn from the experience and we can add eoin cody, delaney and darren mullen some game time.

Thought Joey Holden was very game today also, fair play to him, the bravery of him, callanan went straight on him to spook him but Joey stood strong, gave up a few scores but fought for everything.

Still very proud of the lads, they always give everything and great comeback after the leinster final, today was just one step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Better team won today but agree with other posters I thought the defence kept the scoreline somewhat respectable in the end.

How hard is it to not curse on national tv though? Bubbles in 2016 and Callanan today both let themselves down as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭red_diesel

Disappointing day. Hadn't a good view of the Richie incident at the game but listening to the analyst's on Radio 1 on the way home they were adament it was a Yellow at most.
    Just watched it on the TV there now. Absolute 100% blatant red card. End of. Its pointless arguing what might have been. Richie was deservedly sent off, we lost the game, end of story. Hopefully like Benny Dunne did in 2010, he gets a chance to redeem himself next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

It was shaping up to be around 25-30 points each and so long as Tipp were held to 2 goals it would have been very tight, I felt fairly confident before the sending off, I thought we had the game plan bang on, Bubbles and Callinan and Noel MgGrath were all quiet, no need for any criticism as I thought our lads acquitted themselves well, it is a sad state when players try to get other amateur players sent off and that is purely what decided it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

If you would have said to me in march that kilkenny would be playing in an all ireland I wouldnt belive it, but here we are again today and although we did loose its an achievement in itself for this panel of players,
    After the last few years things were starting to look a little bleak with the so called conveyer in kilkenny but we had a few very good performances from some of the younger lad through out the year, it's a real shame to loose in the fashion that we did today but it was always going to be a huge battle to keep things tight with the forwards that tipp have,
    We really do need a few more lads upfront though and I thought it was a bit naive hitting hig balls I'nto fenelly when it was 2 and 3 v 1, but all in all it wasn't a bad year for us, with the performance against limerick being the stand out what we lack in players sometimes we can make up for with pure heart and determination,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

The great what if for us will be if Richie hadn't been sent off how things may have panned out. Do people feel this is a team that will challenge again next year? Are the players there? Will Brian Cody step aside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭larrya

Thought it was harsh red probably a yellow.But hogan had got a wild pull to the face before that and it was only a free.Tipp lad made the most of it and will probably be embarrassed looking back at it

larrya wrote: »
    Thought it was harsh red probably a yellow.But hogan had got a wild pull to the face before that and it was only a free.Tipp lad made the most of it and will probably be embarrassed looking back at it

Barrett won't care. Beating Kilkenny, however they do it, is the highlight of their year any year they manage it. The true litmus test for them as a team is can they do it next year and if they have to play 15 for the full match. Easy look good when playing a side a man down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Seadin

Hogan will be embarrassed he got sent off so easily. Should have been more careful.

Seadin wrote: »
    Hogan will be embarrassed he got sent off so easily. Should have been more careful.

He gave the referee a decision to make. I have a feeling he was the first victim judging by his bloody nose, quite an achievement with a helmet on. Yes he should have kept his cool but in the heat of the battle etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

This for me..if playing by the rule yes he gets red but if you are going to leave similar unpunished then how can you stand over it. Plus looking at the ref and linesman talking I really don't feel they knew what happened. The ref walking over to the player made his decision for him. The player made a meal of it IMO. But yes by the letter of the law he should get red. Harsh..

copperhead wrote: »
    If you would have said to me in march that kilkenny would be playing in an all ireland I wouldnt belive it, but here we are again today and although we did loose its an achievement in itself for this panel of players,
    After the last few years things were starting to look a little bleak with the so called conveyer in kilkenny but we had a few very good performances from some of the younger lad through out the year, it's a real shame to loose in the fashion that we did today but it was always going to be a huge battle to keep things tight with the forwards that tipp have,
    We really do need a few more lads upfront though and I thought it was a bit naive hitting hig balls I'nto fenelly when it was 2 and 3 v 1, but all in all it wasn't a bad year for us, with the performance against limerick being the stand out what we lack in players sometimes we can make up for with pure heart and determination,

I'm old enough to remember Keher, Skehan, Hennessy, Chunky, Billy Fitz, and sometimes it feels a bit weird to me when we talk about what we lack in hurling ability being made up for with heart and determination.

We are a hurling county out and out, and always had style and skill.

If we find ourselves at this juncture 'lacking in hurling ability' - and I'm not disagreeing with you - then something is radically wrong, therefore can be fixed, and needs to be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

holyhead wrote: »
    Barrett won't care. Beating Kilkenny, however they do it, is the highlight of their year any year they manage it. The true litmus test for them as a team is can they do it next year and if they have to play 15 for the full match. Easy look good when playing a side a man down.

He'll be remembered for it though..now I believe Tipp would have beat Kk anyway..but wanting to get a player in trouble is not good sportsmanship IMO..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Lads, this one is hard to take. Coming into the match I felt we had a real chance if things went our way.

After 20 mins I was convinced we were in with a real chance of an All Ireland that didn't look at all likely 1 month ago.

We had a few wides and Colin missed a goal chance but we were still 5 points up. Then the tipp goal was a bit of a killer. We had to play into the wind in the second half so it would be an uphill battle, but given how we had played up to that point I thought there was every chance.

Unfortunately the red card changes everything, The game is over at that point, there is no sugar coating it.

Having said that I fail to see what the plan was in the second half. What were we doing? Raining ball down on top of TJ and Colin who were completely outnumbered?

I think Cody and the backroom staff have real questions to answer on the 2nd half strategy. We completely played into Tipp hands and put them under no pressure whatsoever.

This one will be hard to take. No way are we the best team in the country but we are not 14 or 15 points away from Tipperary either.

On the red I don't know. It seems like there have been many similar incidents this year but no red cards until this one. It doesn't sit right with me at all. The game was over as soon as the red was given.

There were plenty of yellow card fouls in the first half but no cards issued, I don't know, quite hard to understand.

I'm old enough to remember Keher, Skehan, Hennessy, Chunky, Billy Fitz, and sometimes it feels a bit weird to me when we talk about what we lack in hurling ability being made up for with heart and determination.

We are a hurling county out and out, and always had style and skill.

If we find ourselves at this juncture 'lacking in hurling ability' - and I'm not disagreeing with you - then something is radically wrong, therefore can be fixed, and needs to be fixed.

We won 11 All Ireland's from 2000 until 2015. In GAA land only the Kerry team of the late 70's and 80's get near that level of consistent brilliance. Tipp last won back to back All Ireland's in 1964/65. Sport is cyclical and its hard to have a never ending conveyer belt of talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Disappointing day for the Cats today but all in all a positive year. 3 new starters found in Lawlor Donnelly and Mullen. Hopefully a few more like Maher, Billy Ryan and Leahy can find consistency and establish themselves. A lot of debate over the red card and the best I can say is harsh but probably justified. A lot of criticism of Shefflin and Cody for defending Hogan but if we don't stand up for our own who will and I hope they continue to do so. Anyway the players and management owe us nothing. Onwards and upwards to the club championship.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement