Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,395 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    Francie. When you have such a popular event as the 11th night with 1,000s of photos, you need to curtail your desire to put them down with one selected photo and take an honest look at a range.
    Now, be honest, do you accept it is predominately a youth event?

....and could you not find some footage from 2019 without going into the archives lol ��

We could have a competition and for every one you find with kids I find one with adults.

You are hiding rather than confront unacceptable behaviour on several levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭downcow

gwalk wrote: »
    Downcow shifing the goalposts due to being proved wrong - check

Rob white knighting the unionists - check

Just need Jan to do a big deflection and we have Orange Bingo

I can’t remember gwalk. Was it you who called practically every child in my community a scumbag. - apologies in advance if it wasn’t you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Unionists? Orange? Why don’t you just use your preferred nomenclature from earlier and say “jaffas”?

timthumbni wrote: »
    Unionists? Orange? Why don’t you just use your preferred nomenclature from earlier and say “jaffas”?

Says the guy who can't even spell a place name without trying his best to offend or enflame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

It always amazes me that those most in favour of a United Ireland are usually those who are least tolerant of unionists / most sectarian.

• Advertisement

Votecounts. It’s complex. The reason that flag is burn at a small minority if bonfires is because that is the flag that was draped over coffins of people who launched a sectarian murder campaign on my people.
    I completely condemn it being burnt but I do understand why it happens. (Believe it or not, I also understand why nationalists burn the union flag).
    If only life was as simple as you seem to think it is

I too used to only see the republic tricolour draped over some Ira/ inla coffin in the news, Hence why I used to just associate it with Irish republican terrorists and hated the flag. Now I know it as a flag of a neighbouring country and it should be at least respected.

It should not be burnt on 11th night bonfires but again this (or republicans burning the union flag) is wee buns compared to actual violence or murder. At present this is mostly coming from the republican side and needs to be addressed appropriately by the security forces and perhaps more importantly from within the community.

The violent Irish republicans of today should learn the tragic lesson of the recent past re the complete failure of the PIRA. You cannot murder unionists into a so called united ireland. It was Hume or Mallon who said that far from bringing about a UI the Ira were actually destroying the chance of one. The current brand of Ira dunces surely should take note. Unless they plan to commit genocide (and some would possibly like to) then they may as well bang their head against a brick wall. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

janfebmar wrote: »
    Lol. I opened up the link and it said there was no proof that the charity worker Arlene met was a UDA man decades ago.
    I said the link that was provided said there was no evidence he was a UDA commander.

This is just an out and out lie. You said as quoted above, there was no "proof . . . was a UDA man."

UDA man. You didn't mention anything about commander until you were called out.

Says the guy who can't even spell a place name without trying his best to offend or enflame.

If you are referring to Londonderry then I will call it what I wish. I don’t need your or anyone else’s permission thanks. You can call it derry, doire or petrol bomb city if you want. None of my concern.

It would be like me pulling people for referring to Northern Ireland as the north or the 6 counties.

Why people insist on commenting on what I personally refer to the city as is a complete waste of time. I have a different opinion. Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Ok Jaffa

I too used to only see the republic tricolour draped over some Ira/ inla coffin in the news, Hence why I used to just associate it with Irish republican terrorists and hated the flag. Now I know it as a flag of a neighbouring country and it should be at least respected.

It should not be burnt on 11th night bonfires but again this (or republicans burning the union flag) is wee buns compared to actual violence or murder. At present this is mostly coming from the republican side and needs to be addressed appropriately by the security forces and perhaps more importantly from within the community.

The violent Irish republicans of today should learn the tragic lesson of the recent past re the complete failure of the PIRA. You cannot murder unionists into a so called united ireland. It was Hume or Mallon who said that far from bringing about a UI the Ira were actually destroying the chance of one. The current brand of Ira dunces surely should take note. Unless they plan to commit genocide (and some would possibly like to) then they may as well bang their head against a brick wall. Again.

The conflict/war is over tim. Inexorably the GFA has brought about the conditions for a UI.

In the 20 years Unionism/Loyalism has been dragged (mostly kicking and screaming) to something approaching normality. Flegs, parades, equal rights. Just a small ways to go now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Downcow shifing the goalposts due to being proved wrong - check

I can’t remember gwalk. Was it you who called practically every child in my community a scumbag. - apologies in advance if it wasn’t you

It wasn't me nope

And you would do well to not throw accusations like that about, your advanced apology is meaningless as it was clearly to cover you arse and not in any way sincere

If you are referring to Londonderry then I will call it what I wish. I don’t need your or anyone else’s permission thanks. You can call it derry, doire or petrol bomb city if you want. None of my concern.

QED

The conflict/war is over tim. w.

Maybe you should tell that to the Irish republicans who murdered Lyra McKee not that long ago. Also recent attempted bombings etc on police.

Are Irish republicans not content unless they are trying to murder someone? It appears so.

Maybe you should tell that to the Irish republicans who murdered Lyra McKee not that long ago. Also recent attempted bombings etc on police.

Are Irish republicans not content unless they are trying to murder someone? It appears so.

156 people have died since the GFA tim.

The politics of the last atrocity is not an answer...just a handy excuse for you to spew some bile. You disppeared from this thread and didn't reappear until 'coincidentally' an internment march took place.

You ain't codding anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,042 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Yes just ignore loyalist killing each other the past few years Bush it under the carpet

I see bbc news headline.

“Londonderry - petrol bombs thrown at police after parade”

There must be a lot of rich doire people about with the amount of petrol bombs thrown about. I can hardly afford to put the stuff in my car.

[QUeOTE=citytillidie;110948204]Yes just ignore loyalist killing each other the past few years Bush it under the carpet[/QUOTE]

I don’t really have a horse in that game. Same as republicans killing republicans. I would be of the kenny Everett idea on that.

It’s when they murder others such as Lyra McKee, the police officers or the prison service officers that it gets dangerous, wouldn’t you agree.

I don’t really have a horse in that game. Same as republicans killing republicans. I would be of the kenny Everett idea on that.

It’s when they murder others such as Lyra McKee, the police officers or the prison service officers that it gets dangerous, wouldn’t you agree.

People get killed when they shouldn't and rather than gloat and use it to attack the other community, like some, some of us want to stop it happening altogether.

156 people have died since the GFA tim.

And how many years since the GFA Francie? If you google "numbers of murders ireland" you will see:
    Quote: "The Republic of Ireland is the deadliest place to live in the Irish and British isles - startling new figures have confirmed.

An Independent.ie analysis of homicide rates over the last decade reveals that you are almost six times more likely to be shot and killed in the 26 counties as you are in England/Wales."

It may surprise you to learn that contrary to popular belief, the gun homicide rate in the Irish Republic was more than double that of Northern Ireland for the ten years from 2005 to 2015.

People get killed when they shouldn't and rather than gloat and use it to attack the other community, like some, some of us want to stop it happening altogether.

Yep bringing Lyra into it even though her family have requested that her name not be used like that.

Stupid thugs firing into a crowd should not be doing that at all and most of society don’t want them.

But if people want to ignore loyalist killing each other what about Killeen where a catholic man was left for dead after a sectarian attack just after the 12th

• Advertisement

And how many years since the GFA Francie? If you google "numbers of murders ireland" you will see:
    Quote: "The Republic of Ireland is the deadliest place to live in the Irish and British isles - startling new figures have confirmed.

An Independent.ie analysis of homicide rates over the last decade reveals that you are almost six times more likely to be shot and killed in the 26 counties as you are in England/Wales."

It may surprise you to learn that contrary to popular belief, the gun homicide rate in the Irish Republic was more than double that of Northern Ireland for the ten years from 2005 to 2015.

Ah shure then, we'll leave it be...ignore it. Let's all be partitionists and live happily in blissful ignorance.

Ah shure then, we'll leave it be...ignore it. Let's all be partitionists and live happily in blissful ignorance.

No Francie, you complain time and time again about murders in a another jurisdiction, and post thousands of comments about same, but when it is pointed out to you the gun homicide rate in our own Irish Republic was more than double that of Northern Ireland, you ignore it?

What has that got to do with the GFA? You have gangs all over the world and they have gang wars. Just look at the knife crime currently going on in London where gangs have a league table depending on where you stab other gangs

No Francie, you complain time and time again about murders in a another jurisdiction, and post thousands of comments about same, but when it is pointed out to you the gun homicide rate in our own Irish Republic was more than double that of Northern Ireland, you ignore it?

Extraordinary what you will do to deflect a debate away if it's subject isn't suiting you agenda.

Extraordinary what you will do to deflect a debate away if it's subject isn't suiting you agenda.

You were and are the one deflecting it away. Why mention 156 people dying in N.I. since the GFA when the murder rate here is much higher? What are the northern authorities / the psni doing right, or why are the 26 counties so much more dangerous that the sectarian state as you call it?

You were and are the one deflecting it away. Why mention 156 people dying in N.I. since the GFA when the murder rate here is much higher? What are the northern authorities / the psni doing right, or why are the 26 counties so much more dangerous that the sectarian state as you call it?

Jesus christ, you do want to ignore it.

Jesus christ, you do want to ignore it.

Again I will ask you. Why yet again for the hundreth time mention 156 people dying in N.I. since the GFA when the murder rate here is much higher? What are the northern authorities / the psni doing right, or why are the 26 counties so much more dangerous that the failed sectarian state as you call it?

Again I will ask you. Why yet again for the hundreth time mention 156 people dying in N.I. since the GFA when the murder rate here is much higher? What are the northern authorities / the psni doing right, or why are the 26 counties so much more dangerous that the failed sectarian state as you call it?

Because 156 people dying needlessly is wrong...totally wrong.

Anybody dying needlessly is wrong. And I am not going to dragged around the world reviewing figures so you can ignore it happening in NI.

Because 156 people dying needlessly is wrong...totally wrong.

But far far more people have died here, in this state, in that period. Our murder rate per head of population is much higher than in N.I. Why ignore our own murder rate and post 20,000 plus posts trying to argue for NI to join us?

• Advertisement

But far far more people have died here, in this state, in that period. Our murder rate per head of population is much higher than in N.I. Why ignore our own murder rate and post 20,000 plus posts trying to argue for NI to join us?

WTF???

The mental gymnastics are a sight to behold.

Advertisement