Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

Didn't say the Dubs were on drugs. I said the advantages Dublin gained in recent years was akin to the advantanages by those in terms of it not being a level playing field.

I've also used the man city and psg comparison too.

Semenya isn't on drugs by the way.

You don't have to be on drugs to enjoy an unfair advantage.

Glad to have cleared that up! And that's me out for tonight.

Enjoy tomorrow Franky boy...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Gachla

I just read this on another site! Staggering differences in numbers in games development funding from when most of the players playing today would have come through.

Dublin - 1,603,903
    Mayo - 7,475.

Dublin - 1,637,380
    Mayo - 25,900.

Dublin - 1,638,000
    Mayo - 45,500.

Dublin - 1,588,000
    Mayo - 43,500.

Dublin - 1,371,333
    Mayo - 42,000

Dublin - 1,509,631
    Mayo - 35,920

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

It is hard to see much future for the football championship if this continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

It is hard to see much future for the football championship if this continues.

Don't watch it any more. You won't be missed. X

Slattsy wrote: »
    Don't watch it any more. You won't be missed. X

Well, I will be watching it. But the viewing figures suggest I am increasingly odd in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

dublin gaa with the population and money are too powerful.
    this is not anti dublin but just simple facts.
    dublin will win this year and many more years to come.
    football in the capital is booming with money and player numbers, the rest of the country is well behind.
    to save gaelic football
    1. i would break up dublin into 2 for now, just allocate fairly the dublin clubs to the new 2 entities.
    this would be good for dublin and the rest of the country.
    2. all counties outside dublin need money to introduce a complete professional set up to be any bit competitive. i am talking major investment outside dublin

In business monopolies are broken up if they are seeing to be too big that there is a danger to the very existence of free trade - dublin have a monopoly of people and money. and we need to break it up for Dublins own long term good as well as the rest of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Like I said in the other thread, it's mad that the semi final and final are played in the home ground of one team, even if they are playing. Doesn't matter if that's the way it historically has been done. Especially when that team has enough other unfair advantages.

The game is well and truly dying. You'd feel sorry for the Mayo fans taking a weekend and spending a few hundred euro to support your team and then lose in that matter. It really is becoming like the Leinster championship.

Today further underlines how ridiculous the "golden generation" argument is- the gap is getting wider all the time with newer players like Howard and Scully being very important today.

I'm stunned the Sunday Game constantly fails to mention the reason for the gulf in class (financial doping, population etc) rather than just commenting on how demoralising it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

gaffer91 wrote: »
    I'm stunned the Sunday Game constantly fails to mention the reason for the gulf in class (financial doping, population etc) rather than just commenting on how demoralising it is.

They've to think of ratings as well, do they're hardly going to deliberately alienate a huge portion of their audience by mentioning money, population etc.

The golden generation line is used instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

Like I said in the other thread, it's mad that the semi final and final are played in the home ground of one team, even if they are playing. Doesn't matter if that's the way it historically has been done. Especially when that team has enough other unfair advantages.

The game is well and truly dying. You'd feel sorry for the Mayo fans taking a weekend and spending a few hundred euro to support your team and then lose in that matter. It really is becoming like the Leinster championship.

Today further underlines how ridiculous the "golden generation" argument is- the gap is getting wider all the time with newer players like Howard and Scully being very important today.

nobody on rte will tell the hard truths you refer to, they have their jobs to think of.
    the gaa top brass do not want to hear about it because dublin supporters pay their inflated wages , and rte want the rights to it so they ensure all their staff keep their mouths shut about it too.

Take it from someone who knows, its always about the money.

I have accepted the argument that population and money do not matter.

With that in mind, I cannot wait for Eritrea to win the world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

I have no real interest in GAA but it does strike me that having 1 dominant team like Dublin must be very bad for the game.
    I don't like the GAA association itself although I have no idea why. Maybe I've just heard too many people giving off about them.
    Why not get a few of the Dub lads playing on the Irish soccer team instead 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Gachla wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that the Dublin women's team are dominating as well? Is that just a coincidence?
    Yeah the women are slowly ending up like the men. Cork used to dominate it but Dublin caught up to Cork and I wouldn't be surprised if they pull miles ahead of them over the next decade.

The last 8 Leinsters have gone to Dublin and no county from leinster will beat them in future, ever. The Dublin women are like a professional team the way they're set up.

But the other issue with the womans is there's only a few counties that play to a decent standard at all and then so many that are muck. So even if Dublin didn't exist cork would be dominating instead like they were. Very depressing situation.

Just to try to tidy up this list.

Dublin senior footballers - 6 All Ireland's this decade, 1 in nearly 30 years before that. 14 Leinster championships since 2005?
    Dublin senior hurlers - National league and Leinster championship in recent years, they never won anything with their own players prior to this?
    Dublin ladies senior football - 3 All Ireland's in recent years, they never won an All Ireland before that. 8 Leinster championship in a row also?
    Dublin u20/21 football - Won 5 All Ireland's this century, they never won one before then.
    Dublin u20/21 hurling - 4 Leinster championships since 2007, they hadn't won one since 1972.
    Dublin minor football - First All Ireland since the 80's was won in 2012.
    Dublin minor hurling - 6 Leinster championships since 2005, they won 1 in 40 years before that.
    Dublin club football - 4 All Ireland's since 2007, they won one in 30 years before that.
    Dublin club hurling - 2 All Ireland's in the past few years, they were never even in a final before then.

My theory is that these improvements would not have come about without the funding Dublin GAA received since 2001. Does anyone have any other theory? I'd love to hear and I'm sure others would too. On the other hand, deflection or abuse will be ignored.
    Excellent post. The flat earthers will still deny it. It must be so hard to admit it and say

"yes my county has greatly benefited from advantages and luxuries not available to the teams we beat. We'd not have won as much without them".
    This thread is turning into two Dublin haters talking to each other.

Anyway, the Super 8's have to go, boring muck, bring back the old system. Much more excitement.
    The old system was more exciting because we didn't know for sure a team like Dublin would win no matter what. How will the old system be better next year. We will still know the outcome. At last this system gives town's around the country a chance of hoetujh6a big summer game.

The MAIN THING with Dublin gaa is take a huge decrease of funding off them in line with the population of each county.

Let’s see how the dubs do then ?

Dublin are at such a high level now that even if the GAA cut let's say 1 million in funding per year they'd be self sustainable from their own funds. The damage has been done and there's no going back.

I just read this on another site! Staggering differences in numbers in games development funding from when most of the players playing today would have come through.

Dublin - 1,603,903
    Mayo - 7,475.

Dublin - 1,637,380
    Mayo - 25,900.

Dublin - 1,638,000
    Mayo - 45,500.

Dublin - 1,588,000
    Mayo - 43,500.

Dublin - 1,371,333
    Mayo - 42,000

Dublin - 1,509,631
    Mayo - 35,920
    It turns my stomach reading these stats. Meanwhile Mayo have had to put in a trojan effort fundraising at home and abroad for years and have a big debt to pay off on their stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

RMAOK wrote: »

They've to think of ratings as well, do they're hardly going to deliberately alienate a huge portion of their audience by mentioning money, population etc.

The golden generation line is used instead.

RTE aren't smart enough to recognise that this will have a big impact on them too. When the the games aren't competitive no one watches. When no one watches sponsors aren't interested and revenues fall. They don't have many sporting events left on their roster and their biggest one has shed 300,000 on the final alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    It turns my stomach reading these stats. Meanwhile Mayo have had to put in a trojan effort fundraising at home and abroad for years and have a big debt to pay off on their stadium.

The real icing on the cake is when you see the actual fundraising that has come from within Dublin, i.e from their own fans etc. - a few paltry thousand.

It is then you start to realise that the Dublin of today arent truely part of the gaa at all. They dont get it. Their position has been artificially recreated from top to bottom and they have completely jumped the shark in their current guise. They are too drunk on chasing success to realise it at present, but the penny will drop.

Eventually, change will occur, and this, once celebrated, financially doped era will hang like an albatross around Dublin's necks for the rest of our lifetimes. Things like Brian Fenton's never losing a game will cease from being revered, and people will see it for what it is - the most blatant of blatant calling card of financial doping.

While that will be deserved, I cant help but feel for their players. It isnt fentons fault that that is the case, but his name will forever be attached to it. It isnt brogans fault that he went from arguably their best forward, to not even being good enough for the team due to the sheer number of guys of that quality coming through. The reality is it is now a de facto provincial team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The current model is like s rugby game involving Leinster v Lansdowne
    Or Connacht v Galwegians

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭doc_17

The fundraising thing is staggering. All they do at Donegal County Committee meetings is talk about money, what it’s costing, how will we raise it, how can club and county keep going back to the same people all the time, year in, year out, asking for money. All at the same time they are hoping that they will travel the length and breadth of the country support the team.

What Dublin have been handed is and unfair leg up over every time else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Also the game has to be played at the venue of choice for Leinster.
    All while the TV analysts helpfully suggest Landsdowne and their volunteers "get their house in order" after suffering a 15th hammering in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The real icing on the cake is when you see the actual fundraising that has come from within Dublin, i.e from their own fans etc. - a few paltry thousand.

It is then you start to realise that the Dublin of today arent truely part of the gaa at all. They dont get it. Their position has been artificially recreated from top to bottom and they have completely jumped the shark in their current guise. They are too drunk on chasing success to realise it at present, but the penny will drop.

Eventually, change will occur, and this, once celebrated, financially doped era will hang like an albatross around Dublin's necks for the rest of our lifetimes. Things like Brian Fenton's never losing a game will cease from being revered, and people will see it for what it is - the most blatant of blatant calling card of financial doping.

While that will be deserved, I cant help but feel for their players. It isnt fentons fault that that is the case, but his name will forever be attached to it. It isnt brogans fault that he went from arguably their best forward, to not even being good enough for the team due to the sheer number of guys of that quality coming through. The reality is it is now a de facto provincial team.
    it isnt at all that small. I worked at punchestown races back start of may. Was down in the tents on one or two days. One of the Dublin clubs had a fundraiser in one of the tents as did one of the leinster counties(could have been longford). The single club had a room with nearly as many tables as an entire county
    Or Connacht v Galwegians
    it isnt at all and comparison is wrong in every sense.
    doc_17 wrote: »
    The fundraising thing is staggering. All they do at Donegal County Committee meetings is talk about money, what it’s costing, how will we raise it, how can club and county keep going back to the same people all the time, year in, year out, asking for money. All at the same time they are hoping that they will travel the length and breadth of the country support the team.

What Dublin have been handed is and unfair leg up over every time else.
    but the critics of Dublin refuse to admit any of the work being out in by all Dublin volunteers which is same as elsewhere. They simply have numbers that mean they should be anyway.

The work being done in Dublin by Dublin volunteers isn’t as good as it the work being done in other counties. It’s money and home advantage that have Dublin where they are.

Dublin should only be permitted to play 4 games max in CP. League final, Leinster Final, AI semi and final.

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    The work being done in Dublin by Dublin volunteers isn’t as good as it the work being done in other counties. It’s money and home advantage that have Dublin where they are.

Dublin should only be permitted to play 4 games max in CP. League final, Leinster Final, AI semi and final.
    The semi final should be neutral. Cork, Killarney, Mchale Park, Thurles, Clones Limerick and if they ever sort it out Casement. All should be able to host a semi final involving Dublin.

I have been reading a lot of McKenna's articles. They are hard to argue with really. Which is probably why most of his critics don't bother and just insult him personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Gachla

As has been pointed out on this thread, money has brought success to Dublin across the board. The headline grabbers are the senior men's footballers though. They are the best chance of ending this scandal. The more they win and by bigger margins, the better the chances for a call for change. So ironically, those opposed to the financial doping are actually hoping Dublin win and win big. While those who want this financial doping to go unopposed, want Dublin to win but in close games and after this year, they won't mind seeing Dublin losing!
    It was passed off as Leinster counties being crap and criticising Meath and Kildare when Dublin were destroying them, now hammering Mayo, Kerry and whoever else can't be just passed off. This will bring the house crashing down. We can see with attendances collapsing, we can see with the super 8's failing miserably, we'll eventually see the media reporting on this accurately. The noose is tightening and it's been tightened by the Dublin senior footballers themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

There's a proposal gone out to all Leinster counties that Dublin will receive a bye into the Leinster semi final from 2020 onwards
    I know, I was at the county board meeting!
    It will be interesting how counties vote for that
    And, here's the kicker. The semi final will of course be in??
    Croke Park

There's a proposal gone out to all Leinster counties that Dublin will receive a bye into the Leinster semi final from 2020 onwards
    Croke Park

That cannot be passed. But if it is then the rest of Leinster might as well throw their hat at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

Croke Park

That's disgraceful. Who proposed that?

Anyway, it's awful to see it all reduced to money.

The simple fact have that this is a great Dublin side and I see them beating Kerry in the All Ireland Final.

By €15.9 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I mean it’s a ridiculous proposal but for all the hope Leinster counties have of beating them they might as well get a bye into super 8.

Terrible to say but a crowd of 34k today is a good thing. Loss of nearly twenty thousand tickets from semi final four years ago is almost a million euro loss in income for the GAA.

The GAA would be content to ignore the problem for years to come, financial loss is the only way action will be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Terrible to say but a crowd of 34k today is a good thing. Loss of nearly twenty thousand tickets from semi final four years ago is almost a million euro loss in income for the GAA.

The GAA would be content to ignore the problem for years to come, financial loss is the only way action will be taken.

It just shows how poor the support from Kerry and Tyrone is for their teams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

blanch152 wrote: »
    It just shows how poor the support from Kerry and Tyrone is for their teams.

It's a semi final, up until the super 8's it was always a full house

Advertisement