Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

This thread is turning into two Dublin haters talking to each other.

Anyway, the Super 8's have to go, boring muck, bring back the old system. Much more excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Gachla wrote: »
    I've backed up my theory with the facts listed above. Huge improvements that coincided with the huge increase in funding. That the improvements are so widespread adds credence to my theory. We have seen that an increase in funding has led to increase in standards in many other sports. Do you have anything that goes against my theory? Can you explain the increase in standards across the board?

https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/explainer-correlation-causation-coincidence-and-more

Eating more mozzarella cheese causes the number of engineering doctorates to rise, as seen in the US from 2000 to 2009.

Makes as much sense as some of the stuff I’m reading here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Gachla

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/explainer-correlation-causation-coincidence-and-more

Eating more mozzarella cheese causes the number of engineering doctorates to rise, as seen in the US from 2000 to 2009.

Makes as much sense as some of the stuff I’m reading here.

Were those eating the mozzarella cheese pumping 1.5 million euro into helping those seeking engineering doctorates every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Prove your theory.

Pretty sure the post you quoted did prove it...

Just for comparison, imagine someone quoting all the logic and reason as to why the earth is not flat, and then some flat-earther responding with 'prove it'.

Pretty embarrassing to be fair.

Were those eating the mozzarella cheese pumping 1.5 million euro into helping those seeking engineering doctorates every year?

More actually, the tax on their mozzarella cheese was going to the universities just for engineering doctorates, didn’t you know?

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    More actually, the tax on their mozzarella cheese was going to the universities just for engineering doctorates, didn’t you know?

Really. So how do you explain the huge increase in standards in Dublin GAA this century?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Pretty sure the post you quoted did prove it...

Just for comparison, imagine someone quoting all the logic and reason as to why the earth is not flat, and then some flat-earther responding with 'prove it'.

Pretty embarrassing to be fair.

Copy and paste wiki stats are a theory. Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

Really. So how do you explain the huge increase in standards in Dublin GAA this century?

Underage development since the 90's, getting kids away from soccer and into gaa in primary schools

No they are a proof of a theory...

"It's flat it's flat!"
    Keep digging...

No they are a proof of a theory...

"It's flat it's flat!"
    Keep digging...

Links please. I'll be back tomorrow.

• Advertisement

ciarang85 wrote: »
    Underage development since the 90's, getting kids away from soccer and into gaa in primary schools

Did the 1.5 million every year assist in this process?

Pays for Asian at the halftime interval.

Really original.... Come up with something at least funny next time

Jealousy will only eat away at you

Offering them a level of (literally professional) coaching far superior to everywhere else also has to be up there.

Also, has it not occured to you that soccer is played outside of dublin? The numbers are bigger in dublin but is the ratio of kids being exposed to soccer higher is the pertinent figure there. I.e. 1000 kids might play gaa in a dublin club, 500 might be exposed to soccer. 200 might play in a country club, with 100 exposed to soccer - that is still 50% of their playing base though, and so will have at least the same effects, (I would argue larger effects with there now only 100 players left in the country club). That is where this other sports argument falls down. Those things are to do with ratio of population rather than requirment of investment a lot of the time.

Offering them a level of (literally professional) coaching far superior to everywhere else also has to be up there.

Links of proof for this?

Also, has it not occured to you that soccer is played outside of dublin? The numbers are bigger in dublin but is the ratio of kids being exposed to soccer higher is the pertinent figure there. I.e. 1000 kids might play gaa in a dublin club, 500 might be exposed to soccer. 200 might play in a country club, with 100 exposed to soccer - that is still 50% of their playing base though, and so will have at least the same effects, (I would argue larger effects with there now only 100 players left in the country club). That is where this other sports argument falls down. Those things are to do with ratio of population rather than requirment of investment a lot of the time.

Did u actually read my post? I said gaa was encouraged in a lot of schools in Dublin in the 90's and are now reaping the rewards for it, never said anything about soccer clubs in the country or population but sure ye always bring it back to the same old cráp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I get that you joke, but you know, with the attitude displayed by dubs, where basically they want to be funded as a province but compete as a county, and anyone with an issue with that is anti dublin, biased, jealous, begrudging, etc etc, what other options do the rest of the gaa-folk have? Its complete spoilt brat behaviour and people are foolish to tolorate it.
    In truth they are far too soft on dublin, and another organisation would more than likely quietly shh them before directing them off into the railway cup or towards a split, and then get back to the sport.

Your reply has absolutely nothing to do with my post. I was responding to the suggestion that Dublin be removed from the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Links of proof for this?

Here you go:
    I urge people to read the annual report for games development, here is one from 2015. https://www.gaa.ie/api/pdfs/image/upload/tstblikbtwvqfubdiwpe.pdf

You can see that around 40 Dublin clubs had a full time GPO assigned to them, and some of the bigger Dublin clubs also had a coach funded on top of that. This means that if you are a promising club player in Dublin you have access to a trained, full time person who is responsible for developing the talent in the club. If you are a club player in any other county, you have a total of 4 gpos and you are sharing them amongst the other 100s of clubs around the county. So you have a scenario where a single club in Dublin is getting a similar level of support as a county in the rest of the country. This means Dublin players have far more contact time with professional coaches right through their underage career compared with players from other counties

The issue is that Dublin are being treated as a province due to the population but all that development effort is being fed into a single team.

Also, people are saying "but the club's are funding 50% of their salaries". This is not a good thing - it means that they are invested in the club's success, not on the success of a catchment area covering a number of clubs. It's bizarre that a Dublin club is treated on an almost equal footing to another county

Here you go:

I was talking about schools in the 90's not clubs three years ago,

If you want to get into this cráp download the brochure on this page https://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-spends-record-11-1m-on-coaching-and-games-development/

Page 68 cork well ahead of Dublin in the money stakes 2018

I was talking about schools in the 90's not clubs three years ago,

If you want to get into this cráp download the brochure on this page https://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-spends-record-11-1m-on-coaching-and-games-development/

Page 68 cork well ahead of Dublin in the money stakes 2018

Any proof about this schools in the 90's theory?

Also, if you want to include money for stadiums then you have to include Croke Park for Dublin.

• Advertisement

Any proof about this schools in the 90's theory?

Also, if you want to include money for stadiums then you have to include Croke Park for Dublin.

Cumann na mbunscol

Still won't reply to me about the cork ladies??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Dublin senior hurlers won a Leinster championship in 2013, they hadn't won one since 1961! And how many Dubs were on Dublin teams back then?

Only non Dub on 1961 team was Paddy Croke.

Dublin almost completely dominated camogie up until the 1970s.

Just some examples that your knowledge of Dublin GAA is based solely on vitriol and Wikipedia.

We feel your pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Oh my God.

This could have been an interesting thread, but the same old claptrap about Dublin's financial advantage.

Anyway, I wonder what they're going to do about the Super 8's. I think it would have been brilliant 20 years ago. Back when Dublin, Westmeath, Laois, Kildare and Meath were good in Leinster. And Cork, Kerry, Mayo, Galway and numerous Ulster counties were competitive.

Those would have been ding dong games.

The Super 8 structure needs a bit of tweaking (particularly giving more than 6 days in this spell for semi-finalists). But I think the main barrier to it working is that Dublin (and Kerry to a lesser extent) are just too good. And the next layer down from the big 5 or so counties haven't kicked on as one would hope.

Cumann na mbunscol

Still won't reply to me about the cork ladies??

Cumann na mBunscol has been around for over 40 years and it's all over the country.

Why would I reply about the Cork ladies? It has absolutely nothing to do with Dublin GAA and it's finances and I stated that all deflection will be ignored.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Only non Dub on 1961 team was Paddy Croke.

Dublin almost completely dominated camogie up until the 1970s.

Just some examples that your knowledge of Dublin GAA is based solely on vitriol and Wikipedia.

We feel your pain.

That's why I put a question mark beside my statement. It's completely irrelevant to the current set up where Dublin have increased their standards across the board at the same time that they received huge financial backing from the GAA and citizens.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

So you are challenging Wikipedia stats on Dublin's AI wins?

This really is flat earther stuff now.

So when did the ladies win their AIs, if Wikipedia has it so wrong?

That's why I put a question mark beside my statement. It's completely irrelevant to the current set up where Dublin have increased their standards across the board at the same time that they received huge financial backing from the GAA and citizens.

Its completely relevant, your original post was about dominance, i gave you a good example of dominance and you deflected away from it!

Enjoy wearing those blinkers!:D

Its completely relevant, your original post was about dominance, i gave you a good example of dominance and you deflected away from it!

Enjoy wearing those blinkers!:D

My first post asked was it a coincidence that the Dublin ladies footballers are dominating at the same time as the Dublin senior footballers.

I then went onto show improvements across the board in Dublin GAA this century. Some staggering improvements. I'm still waiting to hear a theory on how this happened. So far all you could come up with is Cumann na mBunscoil! That was easily batted away. It looks like the money theory is the only one that makes sense!

My first post asked was it a coincidence that the Dublin ladies footballers are dominating at the same time as the Dublin senior footballers.

I then went onto show improvements across the board in Dublin GAA this century. Some staggering improvements. I'm still waiting to hear a theory on how this happened. So far all you could come up with is Cumann na mBunscoil! That was easily batted away. It looks like the money theory is the only one that makes sense!

Makes as much sense as mozarella cheese.

• Advertisement

How was it batted away? Have you even been in a school in dublin in the 80's/90's and see the efforts that were put in at school level??

You don't even know what your talking about to be honest...

Advertisement