Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

walshb wrote: »
    Hold on a second. A poster asked me a question..and in you jump..

Get over yourself.

Nothing to do with deflection...we all know MB is wrong here...

What most, including you don’t seem to know is something so simple: Leo did not call her a liar...

Now, away with ya.

In the strictest dictionary sense he did not.

In the political use of language he did by not supporting her version of events. Its screamingly obvious to anyone who has paid attention to what politicians say, and often what is more important is what is not said, that he was calling her a liar.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,983 ✭✭✭✭walshb

odyssey06 wrote: »
    In the strictest dictionary sense he did not.

In the political use of language he did by not supporting her version of events. Its screamingly obvious to anyone who has paid attention to what politicians say, and often what is more important is what is not said, that he was calling her a liar.

Grand. No issue here. Not sure what was getting some of these posters so riled up..

In their haste and urgency to get their “she’s a liar” point across, they’re accusing me of being her cheerleader... nonsense. Pretty much all my posts on MB, one could call them scathing/admonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

She's a liar.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

If there's anything that will strengthen Varadkar it's that he is now being targeted by the rank parasite and stooge-for-hire that is Eoghan Harris. Watch the idiosyncratically, eh, unstable rants against Varadkar increase from that quarter, but have no doubt at all about who's pulling the strings on that particular puppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Suckit wrote: »
    It's not 'all of a sudden' he is spineless..
    As for him being snookered as to what action or actions he could take to sanction her, Rumour has it that is why he was chosen to be their leader.
    He is supposed to be the one with the know-how and the cojones to deal with unruly members, yet he has shown little if anything in regard to that.
    If he isn't able to do it then he shouldn't have put himself in the running, or should step aside and let somebody else.

Yep, same as it ever was, same as it ever will be unless someone is taken to task every now and then and maybe a bit of disruption caused. Letting her away with it because he is afraid what may happen is frankly pathetic. There are I am sure many ways he coudl have dealt with this and still could without the government crumbling down around him.

He is at worst a Patsy.
    A bit naive for taking the job, didn't realize that with Rank and File support from the party, you can Bertie and Charlie your way through just about any level of corruption, greed and deviance.
    Without Rank and File support from the party, your just a fall guy. Waiting for the dirty laundry you didn't know about to get run up the flag poles and then when you turn to use your teeth, the party point out that their arm is half way up the fire escape and back into your box you go.

Party politics has virtually destroyed the democratic experiment, with election likelihood being directly tied to funding kitties and lobbyist packs the party committees hold all the power. Look at:
    US
    UK
    Australia
    Ireland (albeit on a different scale)

They all have the exact same issue whereby anyone trying to change the status quo for the better gets popped back into their box because of some basic numerical support in the lower houses and some key buy-offs in flyover constituencies.
    It's been an absolute coup by the right wing / established corporations to hold sway over this deadlock mechanism. Our constitutions have utterly failed to identify this risk that has grown through generations of gerrymander and corruption in the crucial constituencies.

Make no mistake, Leo Varadakar is neither a fool, nor a coward but unfortunately his best options are locked away from him without taking the Tyler Durden option. Which he may yet do at any time, but only in a fit of Patriotism or empathy with the citizens he was elected to represent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

holyhead wrote: »
    I only know what I know about Maria Bailey from the news and her speaking. Based on what little I know about her I assume her late father's involvement in politics gave her a foot in the door for FG.
    All political parties want to win as many parliamentary seats as possible. Indeed with Bailey being a woman maybe it also helped FG in fulfilling some do goody quota.
    Clearly she was rattled by the whole insurance claim debacle and it's coming to be public knowledge. Even allowing for that her media interviews gave off an aura of entitlement and a simple lack of humility. Indeed she insisted she was entitled to take a claim despite how ridiculous the claim appeared to be to the general public .
    Her late father wasn't beyond pulling off a stroke himself. So clearly apples don't fall far from the tree. Personality wise she is about as unsuited to be a public representative as it's possible to be. Are TD's suitability for being parliamentarians not screened before selection. In any walk of life you are tested for suitability for any paying role you take on.
    Politically she is finished. It has been very poorly handled by FG and Varadkar in particular. Indeed it's handling shows an element of disconnect from the feelings of the general public.
    The calibre of politician in Ireland is poor. Yes there must be exceptions but I'm struggling to think of any. Pearce Doherty strikes me as a shrewd intelligent operator but he will never fulfil his potential while in SF.

She reminds me of a less capable , yet with the same aura of entitlement, Beverly Flynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Actually that's one thing I learned during this thread. I never for one minute thought Fine Gael might have a spin machine team which would monitor social media attempting to quieten any negative commentary. I believe it now. I am not on Facebook or Twitter but I imagine it is rampant there too. Maybe all parties are at it? I find it a bit worrying.

Oh they have a spin unit alright as has been documented. Sure even Leo himself suggested the idea of an online army to peddle Fine Gael spin. Here is two of them, attending a far right conference in the US no less
    The president of Fine Gael's youth wing has been criticised for attending a right-wing conservative youth conference in the US last week.

Young Fine Gael (YFG) president Killian Foley-Walsh, a member of Fine Gael's ruling national executive, attended the Young America's Foundation (YAF) conference in Washington DC last week along with YFG's social media officer Chloe Kennedy.

Their attendance at the YAF conference has prompted criticism from a Fine Gael TD and caused disquiet within YFG, the party's youth wing whose past members include Taoiseach Leo Varadkar.

YAF's mission is to groom future conservative leaders, according to the 'New York Times', which cited far-right White House adviser Stephen Miller among its alumni. Many members are opposed to abortion and same-sex marriage.

This year's conference was addressed by US vice-­president Mike Pence and a number of conservative politicians, including former Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz and former Wisconsin governor Scott Walker.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/anger-as-fine-gael-youth-leader-attends-us-rightwing-conference-38374027.html

Bow down to the future of Fine Gael

2019-08-05_iri_52336050_I2.JPG

Social Media Officer Chloe Kennedy
    EAUvnaDWkAACJgP?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

^^ Which one is Chloe Kennedy? (Wouldn't dare assume a gender).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Hmmmmmm....🤔

IMG-20190805-112926.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

When I read Anger as Fine Gael Youth leader attends US right-wing conference
    I cant say I was surprised. We have members of Chloe's team telling us FG arent right wing, well they are as right as they can be in this environment and they allow people like this head their youth wing. You dont slip in as leader without being seen debating and courting support. Anyone who aligns themselves with the Republican party needs to be monitored. You can take the blue shirt off the back but...
    FG, great bunch of lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Hmmmmmm....🤔

IMG-20190805-112926.jpg

LOL, Brilliant JD. Reading the article from the Indo,I kept wondering how such a person, attending such a meeting anywhere in the World, would serve under the Party leader FG have at present.

Surely a conflict of interest...perhaps?

I am really of the opinion that FG must have a death wish. They have no idea ( imho ) how to handle the MB scenario. And AF AND JM cases are waiting in the background.

And now this: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058002484

And while on a roll: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/anger-as-fine-gael-youth-leader-attends-us-rightwing-conference-38374027.html

What I dread is that their shenanigans will drive voters to the greens, and all they ( the greens ) seem to want to do is tax tax tax.

We really have a TERRIBLE standard of politician in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I kept wondering how such a person, attending such a meeting anywhere in the World, would serve under the Party leader FG have at present.

Surely a conflict of interest...perhaps?

Options very limited for young people with conservative or even centrist views who want to get involved in politics. Maybe an 'entryist', hoping to drag FG to the right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Jaysus I had never even heard of Young Fine Gael. Politics in Ireland and worldwide seem to be getting more and more murky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Jaysus I had never even heard of Young Fine Gael. Politics in Ireland and worldwide seem to be getting more and more murky.

Don't most major parties have youth wings?

Options very limited for young people with conservative or even centrist views who want to get involved in politics. Maybe an 'entryist', hoping to drag FG to the right?

Options very limited for ALL electorate IMHO. I was hoping the SD's would fill a gap, and I still hope they do. I only hope that circus in West Dublin ( cannot remember the woman's name) was a temporary hiccup, and the SD's learn from it.

Donnolly leaving might well be a blessing in disguise.

tuxy wrote: »
    Don't most major parties have youth wings?

Perhaps but a quick Google of YFG reveals a very far right flavour with social media propaganda a key responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Options very limited for ALL electorate IMHO.

Really? I would have said there was a pretty broad range of options on the left. Would you say there are significant currents of leftist thought that are not represented under the current setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I was out of the country for a bit and didn’t manage to keep up.
    Has MB apologized to the Dean Hotel owners as yet for trying to defraud them?

✦            ˚              *                        .              .            ✦              * * * *                  ,      

.             .SEAN!   ゚      .             .

,       . SEAN!                                 🌞                                                       .           .             .                                                                                        ✦        ,               🛸       ,    * * * *               .            .                                             ˚            ,       * SEAN!                                 .                      .             .               *            ✦   SEAN!                                            .                  .           SEAN!...        .     ☄️   🌚           .           .              

˚           🚀. SEAN!           ゚     .               .      🌍

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

✦            ˚              *                        .              .            ✦              * * * *                  ,      

.             .SEAN!   ゚      .             .

,       . SEAN!                                 🌞                                                       .           .             .                                                                                        ✦        ,               🛸       ,    * * * *               .            .                                             ˚            ,       * SEAN!                                 .                      .             .               *            ✦   SEAN!                                            .                  .           SEAN!...        .     ☄️   🌚           .           .              

˚           🚀. SEAN!           ゚     .               .      🌍

:). Oh the humanity..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

No, not that I seen anyway.

In fact, Leo is implying that the Dean bore some of the responsibility for the way the whole palaver played out.
    “Minister Madigan (then a backbench TD) gave initial legal advice, guidance and assisted Deputy Bailey with her Personal Injuries Assessment Board (PIAB) application. This was a preliminary step which often results in amicable resolution but the hotel did not engage with the PIAB.

Way to go leo. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Hmmmmmm....��

IMG-20190805-112926.jpg

Looks more like a psychotic Harry Potter

"Babio stay in your bellyo" FG breading a new generation of clowns.

Has she what TL?? Not as far as I know , and I wonder will she ever? Or is below her to apologise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Every party has a youth wing. Its normal

No apology whatsoever. Some regret but no responsibility.

The only think she did wrong was to harm her beloved party.

This was her statement after Leo's statement.
    I initiated legal proceedings following an incident in 2015 in which I suffered painful injuries. I acted on legal advice throughout the process, but ultimately decided to withdraw the proceedings in an attempt to end the extraordinary media and political pressure that arose from the publication of some details of the case. I began the process leading to the taking of this case before I was a TD, in relation to an incident that took place over four years ago. I regret very much that I took the case.

I note that the report by David Kennedy SC has found that this was not a fraudulent claim, and that it would be unlikely that a court would conclude that there was any attempt to mislead on my part. I made no attempt to mislead.

I recognise and regret the difficulties this issue caused for the Taoiseach and my colleagues during the recent elections.

The word extraordinary suggests that the media were wrong to investigate.

She made no attempt to mislead...right yeah, maybe you should listen to your own radio interview Maria...

No mention of the hotel business that she tried to harm.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Every party has a youth wing. Its normal

I think the issue they had is that they had not heard much about Young Fine Gael which is surprising because it is basically the same as Hitler youth. It's not right of centre or right wing but faaarrr right.

I think the issue they had is that they had not heard much about Young Fine Gael which is surprising because it is basically the same as Hitler youth. It's not right of centre or right wing but faaarrr right.

Don't forget they are using this youth wing members to spread propaganda on social media. It was pretty evident during the Bailey/Madigan/Farrell saga.

Don't forget they are using this youth wing members to spread propaganda on social media. It was pretty evident during the Bailey/Madigan/Farrell saga.

Is that a typical far right tactic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Search for Courtmacsharry on Twitter if you want a, Swingate giggle, maybe someone could link it here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement