Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭golfball37

kikilarue2 wrote: »
    Should you show a woman some compassion because her dad died? I think so.

How would you feel if she slit her wrists over it and died too? It’s not so long since Shane McEntee killed himself over constituency pressures.

Neither you nor I know the reason why anyone would take their own life. FG insiders shamelessly tried to say Shane McEntee died because of online abuse at one stage. There's always more to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

How would you feel if she slit her wrists over it and died too? It’s not so long since Shane McEntee killed himself over constituency pressures.

Ah here we go. Leave her alone because she's a woman? Sure why not mention she's a mother too while you're at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

pablo128 wrote: »

Ah here we go. Leave her alone because she's a woman? Sure why not mention she's a mother too while you're at it.

I said you should show her some compassion because her dad died, not because she is a woman?

Whenever someone disagrees with me, Bertie’s Horse is in there thanking them within minutes - even on threads he’s not participating in.

“It’s like, why are you so obsessed with me?”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

So how many months of headlines do you think we should go for? 8, 12, a year, five years?

Depends on how much more is to come out in the story

Suppose the Indo wouldn't have any more ammo to divulge if Bailey had told the truth or if FG had released the internal report

I suspect that attention would turn to Madigan if that report was released

Bailey is still her own worst enenmy

She stated on Sean O'Rourke

"There are legitimate expenses that are verified, you’re only talking, €6,000 - €7,000 here. I’ve absorbed those costs already."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/transcript-of-maria-bailey-interview-on-sean-o-rourke-show-1.3905867

Yet the Indo got hold of a letter where

"Maria Bailey initially asked hotel for €20,000 to cover her swing fall expenses claim
    Fine Gael TD later said she wanted just €7,000 from Dean Hotel to cover medical costs after fall"

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/maria-bailey-initially-asked-hotel-for-20000-to-cover-her-swing-fall-expenses-claim-38351916.html

The public still do not know the truth. Whilst that is the case Bailey will still be in the headlines and esp as the Indo seems to have more on the story

Bailey has hit a nerve as the impodyment of the Compo culture that supposedly FG is trying to change

Her Dad dying is irrelevant to the claim story and shouldn't be used in any way to make the story go away or to stop the story being investigated further

• Advertisement

I said you should show her some compassion because her dad died, not because she is a woman?

You literally said we should show a woman compassion. In fact you even re-quoted yourself.

pablo128 wrote: »

You literally said we should show a woman compassion. In fact you even re-quoted yourself.

Your reading comprehension is not very good- you have to read the *whole* sentence. I said we should show the women compassion *because* her dad died. The compassion is due to the fact that she has recently lost a close family member, not because she’s a woman. If she were a man, I would say show him some compassion as he’s lost his dad.

I don’t know how to break that down any more simply for you, but I suspect I don’t need to because you are deliberately choosing to misunderstand my words.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    So how many months of headlines do you think we should go for? 8, 12, a year, five years?

Depends on how much more is to come out in the story

Suppose the Indo wouldn't have any more ammo to divulge if Bailey had told the truth or if FG had released the internal report

I suspect that attention would turn to Madigan if that report was released

Bailey is still her own worst enenmy

She stated on Sean O'Rourke

"There are legitimate expenses that are verified, you’re only talking, €6,000 - €7,000 here. I’ve absorbed those costs already."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/transcript-of-maria-bailey-interview-on-sean-o-rourke-show-1.3905867

Yet the Indo got hold of a letter where

"Maria Bailey initially asked hotel for €20,000 to cover her swing fall expenses claim
    Fine Gael TD later said she wanted just €7,000 from Dean Hotel to cover medical costs after fall"

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/maria-bailey-initially-asked-hotel-for-20000-to-cover-her-swing-fall-expenses-claim-38351916.html

The public still do not know the truth. Whilst that is the case Bailey will still be in the headlines and esp as the Indo seems to have more on the story

Bailey has hit a nerve as the impodyment of the Compo culture that supposedly FG is trying to change

Her Dad dying is irrelevant to the claim story and shouldn't be used in any way to make the story go away or to stop the story being investigated further

I mostly agree with you. In fact, it’s not that I think the headlines should go away altogether- the story came about because of some decent investigative journalism. It’s more the social media stuff that probably needs to be reined in a bit.

I do think a sense of perspective is necessary. As I said above, Bailey has become a symbol of compo culture and for some it seems as though she’s personally responsible for every dodgy claim in the country, which she’s obviously not.

What she did was wrong, and how she reacted to what she did was wrong. There’s no denying that. Leo Varadkar didn’t help, but he’s in over his head in a hundred different ways.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The FG spin relay race team has a new runner...

But how many laps can this thoroughbred last?!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Guys, get a hold of your attack dogs. The poster wasn't specifically referring to her gender here, even if it could be interpreted as such. Show a woman, the woman compassion....the poster has clarified this....

MB did wrong. We all know that, and she handled the whole affair wrong. Is there a need for some of the OTT condemnation here? It comes across very aggressive with some? I mean, she has family, children etc. Maybe a time to relax a little on her as regards how the issue is portrayed...

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The FG spin relay race team has a new runner...

But how many laps can this thoroughbred last?!

I vote SocDems/ Labour/ Green and occasionally independent.

When you start attacking the poster instead of the post, I tend to take it that you’ve conceded the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

When you start attacking the poster instead of the post, I tend to take it that you’ve conceded the point.

Whats your point?

That the story should die because her father died?

That she should be let off because everyone else does it?

That we should forget that Leo has dealt with this issue like every other one he has had thrown at it,like a bumbling idiot?

I'm reminded of this Alison O'Connor article from the other day

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/columnists/maria-bailey-has-paid-the-price-for-political-foot-in-mouth-its-time-to-move-on-941361.html
    What an awful article from O'Connor

I really wonder would she have the same opinion if the story was about a male politician?

Leo was correct not to take the party whip from Bailey? Many wouldn't think so

The very very very small slap on the wrists that Leo has choosen to give Bailey has kept the controversy going

Poor Maria. Sure in the past the story would have died down and controversy only ran for a few weeks

Maria was just unfortunate in the timing coming to light at a time when everyone feels so annoyed at the ridiculously expensive insurance premiums we’re paying and that she is FG the party that should be clamping down on insurance claims

I for one am sure happy that a FG review found that she overstated” the impact of injuries she suffered yet "didn't attempt to mislead"

Sure she only wanted medical expenses of €7k yet we now know she demanded €20k from the hotel

Danged social media for keeping things in the spotlight and keeping the public flogging going

I have every sympathy that she lost her father. However that is irrelevant to this story and shouldn't have been used as an excuse for the leniency of taking away the Oireachtas commitee by Leo or used by Alison

The fact that she has family, children etc is also irrelevant to this story

If she was unmarried and had no children it doesn't change things at all

The facts of the story do not change

How dare Fergus O'Dowd actually say he doesn't think she should represent Fg in the next election. Bad boy Fergus. She has already been selected to run for Fine Gael in Dun Laoghaire.

Hasn't she suffered enough? lol

If anybody wants to move on from the story then the story needs to be 100% out in the public domain

A large dose of truth on the part of Bailey wouldn't go astray

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Whats your point?

That the story should die because her father died?

That she should be let off because everyone else does it?

That we should forget that Leo has dealt with this issue like every other one he has had thrown at it,like a bumbling idiot?

The story is already over.

She dropped the claim, she’s not going to face any criminal charges, Varadkar demoted her. Whenever the next election is called my guess is she won’t be selected, she’ll run as an independent, and she’ll probably be re-elected.

You can spend another six months on here saying “well I think it’s a disgrace” if you want to, the story has run it’s course.

Hmmm I doubt the story has run it's course

I think the Indo has sight as the internal report and or the video from the Dean

That will be lots of fun to go through esp Madigans involvement or non involvement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Regarding some posts regarding Maria Bailey, online ridicule and her mental health.

I think if you're a public representative you should expect public attention. If you can't stand the ridicule you've brought upon yourself, then you should resign and do something else. End of story.

Exactly

If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Hmmm I doubt the story has run it's course

I think the Indo has sight as the internal report and or the video from the Dean

That will be lots of fun to go through esp Madigans involvement or non involvement

Not certain of the law on this but I think because of GDPR they can’t release the video. It was discussed earlier in the thread.

Possibly the report. But my point is, even if they have the report and they get another few headlines out of it, nothing else is going to happen. She’s not going to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Tabnabs - yellow card for ignoring mod instruction to stop the shill/PR comments.

dudara

I'm not an expert on GDPR so i'll accept what you say

That's prob true that she won't resign as she has some brass neck

However it depends on what else comes out in the story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Whenever the public lose interest, I would have thought that wouldn't need explaining.

boombang wrote: »
    Regarding some posts regarding Maria Bailey, online ridicule and her mental health.

I think if you're a public representative you should expect public attention. If you can't stand the ridicule you've brought upon yourself, then you should resign and do something else. End of story.

I don’t agree with that at all. No one deserves to put up with daily online abuse for months on end.

Yes, she brought it on herself but didn’t your Mam teach you that two wrongs don’t make a right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I don’t agree with that at all. No one deserves to put up with daily online abuse for months on end.

Yes, she brought it on herself but didn’t your Mam teach you that two wrongs don’t make a right?

Maria is s high profile public servant, extremely well paid, and ridicule and or praise is part and parcel of the job.

She said herself she is s public figure and should be held to a higher standard.

Don't put yourself up for election, in case you're elected, later caught pulling a stroke, and attract some ire from the tax paying public who pay your salary is what I take from your post.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

She was effectively attempting to commit fraud (given the details we've been provided) in an area that is now costing jobs simply because of the ongoing insurance cost increases.
    She is not fit for public office.
    She is not fit to be in a position to legislate.
    She is not fit to occupy a position of governance.
    She should stand down. Only then will people believe that she is remorseful.

Maria is s high profile public servant, extremely well paid, and ridicule and or praise is part and parcel of the job.

She said herself she is s public figure and should be held to a higher standard.

Don't put yourself up for election, in case you're elected, later caught pulling a stroke, and attract some ire from the tax paying public who pay your salary is what I take from your post.

I agree that she should be held to a higher standard. I think it's a bit mad that she didn't lose the whip at the very least.

I would have no problem with people writing a letter to the Chair of FG in Dun Laoghaire, or even the office of the Taoiseach, or Maria Bailey's own office expressing the view that she should step down. Write to your own TDs and tell them you want a motion of no confidence in her. That's all perfectly reasonable.

I try never to post anything here that I couldn't stand by if someone put my name to it. I think we should all do the same.

An unlimited amount of anonymous online vitriol however, I'm not on board with. Again, as I said above, aside from anything else, it serves no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I would say ongoing ridicule and baiting would be unfair if she had taken the honorable step of resigning from her well-paid public job. Since she hasn't, I think it's open season and she thoroughly deserves all the ridicule coming her way.

I think your mention of two wrongs don't make a right is misplaced here.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭argentum

So now One of the biggest insurance companies for Public Liability of Hotels has decided to pull out of the market.
    Now I hope she gets sacked ,its directly because of scam claims that hotels are going to be in trouble or closing over this

argentum wrote: »
    So now One of the biggest insurance companies for Public Liability of Hotels has decided to pull out of the market.
    Now I hope she gets sacked ,its directly because of scam claims that hotels are going to be in trouble or closing over this

Surely this is to do with claims that did go through rather than one that didn't? An insurance company didn't pull out because of someone that almost sued them.

You're attributing something to Maria Bailey here that definitely isn't her fault. You're saying she should get fired because of a bunch of other claims other people made.

It's not logical.

I think it's a bit rich complaining about being hounded on social media when Fine Gael pay people to go onto social media and defend them or promote them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Not certain of the law on this but I think because of GDPR they can’t release the video. It was discussed earlier in the thread.

Possibly the report. But my point is, even if they have the report and they get another few headlines out of it, nothing else is going to happen. She’s not going to resign.

Oh i'm sure the hotel wont release it. they would be crazy to. that doesn't mean somebody else hasn't got hold of a copy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement