Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Doing a bit of analysis of my 2014 marathon out of curiosity and being reminded of the potentially painful finish if the training goes wrong. Looking back I didn’t do many long runs at all, only 13 over 10 miles and I never even actually hit the 20. Every time I ran further it was my longest run ever. Those 13 runs looked like this;
    6 July 10.1mi@8.28
    13 July 10.02mi@8.20
    27 July 13.11mi@9.05
    3 August 13.12mi@9.25 - 10.19, 10.23 last couple as I died. Poor route choice didn’t help with a serious climb in the middle.
    10 August 14.01mi@9.24 low nines first half but high nines second. Matched the profile so prob one of my better LRs
    17 August 15.6mi@8.47. Super flat 3 mile loop. A 7.53 mile 6, 9.37, 9.50 miles 14 and 15. Warning signs!
    23 August RACE 10m@7.23. Hit my target perfectly.
    7 September 18.02mi@9.26. 8.33 in mile 4 and mostly under 9 for first 10. 9.50 for 16 and 17 and 13.48 for 18 as I walked. Major warning signs!
    14 September 17.7mi@9.47. Again mostly under 9 to mile 10. 10.39, 10.27, 12.38, 11.58 as it unraveled after mile 15 and I walked and quit before even finishing mile 18. Still ignoring the warnings!
    20 September RACE Half Marathon 13.1mi@7.26. Great run. Bang on target, even a slight negative split despite the hard finish.
    28 September 17.11mi@10.12. More sensible pace early but tough route and fell off the cliff again at mile 15 and finished walking. 11.18, 11.27, 17.51 last 3 full miles. Big flashing warning sign!!
    5 October Athlone 3/4 Marathon 19.67mi@9.07. Worst run ever. Wanted to crawl into a ditch. Went with 3.40 marathon goal pace group. Nothing slower than 8.45 to mile 14 mostly under 8.30. Then I hit the wall. Zero energy, pale as a ghost, completely isolated and desperate for someone to pick me up and carry me to the finish. 11.51, 11.13, 10.12, 14.19 for the last four full miles. I’d been away in Romania for work the three days before, arrived back with a dodgy tummy. Didn’t really eat at all before. Add that to all the ignored warnings about lack of stamina beyond 15mi and this was torture. Was also the week my psoriatic arthritis first started to effect me.
    By this stage I was also missing chunks of midweek running due to extra rest days taken because of the tiredness from running the LRs too fast and struggling to finish them.
    13 October 10.56mi@9.52. This wasn’t actually that bad. Think it was a run home from work and I stopped at the chipper but didn’t stop the watch!!

Overall, I completely ignored all the warning signs about running the long runs too fast and not building the stamina. I absolutely nailed my goals for the 10mile and the Half, but my overall mileage suffered and I only ran 11 times from the half marathon on 20 September to the marathon itself.

The marathon followed the same pattern as training and resulted in an identical pace to the 3/4. I set out on 3.50 pace. Went through half way exactly on target. All miles between 8.35 and 9.17 to mile 20 but my closing 6 miles were; 9.46, 10.16, 9.57, 9.46, 10.52, 10.28. I didn’t suffer as much as Athlone, but it was painful. Finished in 4.00.48. Almost had to stop with cramp in both calves with half a mile to go because I tried to push on and make the 4hr. It was an amazing feeling to finish, and missing the 4hrs wasn’t all that important when I crossed the line and got the medal and the support and congrats from family and friends. But, it’s partly the reason I’m back now and trying to do things sensible.

This year I already have 12 runs over 10 miles. I’m trying to keep the easy stuff easy and not miss midweek runs. Given my history beyond 15 miles, my only slight worry is making a hash of my first 15 mile attempt this year. I’d like to run under 4 this time, and I think it’s possible, despite the fact I won’t get close to my 10 mile and half marathon times from 2014. I’m more concerned though with doing things sensibly and hopefully not having to endure another really painful finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Before widespread panic develops amongst the novices, I should point out that most of you are training at appropriately easy (or something approaching easy) paces. If you keep going as you are, keep following the plan, pick a realistic target time and pace your marathon appropriately then you will have no problems on the day.

I'm trying to reach those who are still tearing about at MP day in, day out, as well as those throwing in random speed sessions every week. You don't need to improve your speed, you need to improve your endurance.

How do you feel about adding extra easy shorter runs in to the HH plan? I am happy to follow the LSR schedule for HH but I really like to run more than 4 days a week. Are you comfortable with adding one or two extra easy 5ks if it’s not causing stress on the body? Would this aid endurance or at least not hinder it? I really feel better on days I run even easy and short runs. I am certainly not speedy but am aware I am running more miles than my plan calls for. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Doc76 wrote: »
    How do you feel about adding extra easy shorter runs in to the HH plan? I am happy to follow the LSR schedule for HH but I really like to run more than 4 days a week. Are you comfortable with adding one or two extra easy 5ks if it’s not causing stress on the body? Would this aid endurance or at least not hinder it? I really feel better on days I run even easy and short runs. I am certainly not speedy but am aware I am running more miles than my plan calls for. Thanks!

Yeah, I'd noticed your weekly mileage was closer to the boards plan than HH. I know we recommended the boards plan previously, but you were concerned that you wouldn't have the time available as we move towards September. You would have been able for the boards plan, which is probably why you're now having enough energy to get out extra days on the HH.

When it comes to adding runs to the plan, that recommendation is going to vary from person to person depending on the plan and their fitness base, and the general advice is always to stick to the plan you're on. In your case though, you have a very good base, so I think it's ok to add a little extra easy mileage, at least until the weekly mileage in the plan catches up to where you are now. Do however be conscious of keeping step-back weeks in the schedule as intended, and keeping rest days in there too. As the long run creeps up you will probably find yourself less inclined to be adding extra mileage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Hi All
    See my below updates. Currently on hols and had a shocking week 5 training.
    How can I make this up and get back on track?

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    On HH Novice. Completed 3 of 4 runs.
    Did not complete them as i am away on hols and my schedule is up in the air guys.

- Did you run all the runs at an appropriate pace?
    I completed two short runs and one LSR at the correct pace.

- Which aspects of your training/preparation need improving?
    My diet needs improving. I'm partial to sugary snacks.
    I also need to be drinking more water.
    Band work and stretching also needs more attention to keep the niggles at bay.

On the positive side I completed 7km this morning and feel relatively fit and strong.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Yeah, I'd noticed your weekly mileage was closer to the boards plan than HH. I know we recommended the boards plan previously, but you were concerned that you wouldn't have the time available as we move towards September. You would have been able for the boards plan, which is probably why you're now having enough energy to get out extra days on the HH.

When it comes to adding runs to the plan, that recommendation is going to vary from person to person depending on the plan and their fitness base, and the general advice is always to stick to the plan you're on. In your case though, you have a very good base, so I think it's ok to add a little extra easy mileage, at least until the weekly mileage in the plan catches up to where you are now. Do however be conscious of keeping step-back weeks in the schedule as intended, and keeping rest days in there too. As the long run creeps up you will probably find yourself less inclined to be adding extra mileage anyway.

Thanks for the feedback! Will keep the step back weeks in mind and you are right as the LSRs get longer the plan will fall better into place ... next year the boards plan for me so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Soulsun wrote: »
    Hi All
    See my below updates. Currently on hols and had a shocking week 5 training.
    How can I make this up and get back on track?

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    On HH Novice. Completed 3 of 4 runs.
    Did not complete them as i am away on hols and my schedule is up in the air guys.

- Did you run all the runs at an appropriate pace?
    I completed two short runs and one LSR at the correct pace.

- Which aspects of your training/preparation need improving?
    My diet needs improving. I'm partial to sugary snacks.
    I also need to be drinking more water.
    Band work and stretching also needs more attention to keep the niggles at bay.

On the positive side I completed 7km this morning and feel relatively fit and strong.

Cheers.

You got some running and the LSR done, so draw a line under it and move on. Try and be consistent going forward and you should be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

I got myself some vividian electrolyte sports fix today...and some beetroot juice. I'll give that a go. Now - how about raisins as the race fuel for long runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I got myself some vividian electrolyte sports fix today...and some beetroot juice. I'll give that a go. Now - how about raisins as the race fuel for long runs?

Raisins are a perfectly good source of carbs which are quickly converted to energy. The problem with them as a marathon day fuel is practicality. You will probably need 60/90g of carbs per hour of the marathon. 100g of raisins provides about 80g. Doing the maths a 4 or 5 hour marathon runner would need between 300 and 600g of raisins which isn't something I'd want to be lugging around with me.

I am a big fan of Medjool dates. Each one contains 35g of carbs which is more than your average energy gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I am a big fan of Medjool dates. Each one contains 35g of carbs which is more than your average energy gel.

skyblue46 do you put them in a little bag and then into your belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    skyblue46 do you put them in a little bag and then into your belt?

No, I'd just have a couple before a run in the same way some people would have a banana. I love medjools, they are gorgeously sweet and sticky but I'd not take a risk of eating them with a dry mouth during a race. I have noticed a few people looking at the options re more natural ways of fuelling for DCM but for me it's a no brainer....gels every time because of ease of carrying them and using them. I don't carry fuel on long runs but if I was to carry them I'd wrap them singly and put them in the belt.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone - hope this week is going well for all.

How did those on the Boards plan find their PMP session this week? God it's tough! I swear, the sun made an appearance right as I ended the warm up mile and it went into hiding just as I was about to begin the cool down one. Typical.

While I still didn't find today easy, I found today's 5miles easier than the first 4miles we did at PMP, so this gives me hope. At the moment I'm thinking that there is no way I could repeat those 5miles 4 more times at that pace, and then some! But .... right now I can't do 26miles at ANY pace, so what do I expect!

Also a Q for the mentors: When doing the PMP sessions is it okay to do the 1mile warm up, stop a minute, then do the PMP session unbroken, but stop again at the end before completing the 1mile cool down?

I have been stopping after the warm up and cool down (no more than 30secs) but won't anymore if it is best not to.

Thank you

Hi everyone - hope this week is going well for all.

How did those on the Boards plan find their PMP session this week? God it's tough! I swear, the sun made an appearance right as I ended the warm up mile and it went into hiding just as I was about to begin the cool down one. Typical.

While I still didn't find today easy, I found today's 5miles easier than the first 4miles we did at PMP, so this gives me hope. At the moment I'm thinking that there is no way I could repeat those 5miles 4 more times at that pace, and then some! But .... right now I can't do 26miles at ANY pace, so what do I expect!

Also a Q for the mentors: When doing the PMP sessions is it okay to do the 1mile warm up, stop a minute, then do the PMP session unbroken, but stop again at the end before completing the 1mile cool down?

I have been stopping after the warm up and cool down (no more than 30secs) but won't anymore if it is best not to.

Thank you

Why do you stop?

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Why do you stop?

I don't really know. Probably because whenever I did warm ups on track days with club we always did warm up, then stopped to be told what the session was, then do the session, stop and take on water before cooling down, so I guess it's a habit. I don't stop out of any need to do it and it hadn't even crossed my mind until today that it might be a poor idea.

I don't really know. Probably because whenever I did warm ups on track days with club we always did warm up, then stopped to be told what the session was, then do the session, stop and take on water before cooling down, so I guess it's a habit. I don't stop out of any need to do it and it hadn't even crossed my mind until today that it might be a poor idea.

That used to drive me mad in track sessions :p

Em, I think it's no harm to stop if you're taking on some water or doing drills or something but probably best to try and get out of the habit of doing it before and after the meaty part of each session.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    That used to drive me mad in track sessions :p

Em, I think it's no harm to stop if you're taking on some water or doing drills or something but probably best to try and get out of the habit of doing it before and after the meaty part of each session.

Won't stop anymore so! Glad I asked, thanks Huzzah!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Looking for a piece of advice please, if I was to do my long run Friday morning, how would people suggest I tailor the plan for the rest of the week?

Greatest distance ever coverved this month 134.5M.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Looking for a piece of advice please, if I was to do my long run Friday morning, how would people suggest I tailor the plan for the rest of the week?

I've the same question. I'm going to the galway races so would like to do it Friday as well.

I'm considering skipping my 3 mile today too as the legs are feeling tired & wanted to be on form for the long run as I'm doing 10miles this week (swapped the 7 and 10 from last week as I was away)

Thoughts? :)

Rest today, Long run Friday, recovery run Saturday, optional 3 easy miles on Sunday. It's not ideal given that you had the PMP session yesterday and the 10 miler at the weekend, but I'm guessing it can't be avoided.

Nice month, but please slow the easy paces down. Also, I don't know where you're getting a 7:30 PMP from, but it's too fast. You're getting in all the miles but that's only one part of the equation.

I've the same question. I'm going to the galway races so would like to do it Friday as well.

I'm considering skipping my 3 mile today too as the legs are feeling tired & wanted to be on form for the long run as I'm doing 10miles this week (swapped the 7 and 10 from last week as I was away)

Thoughts? :)

Yeah that's fine. Maybe do the 3 miles easy Sunday evening then?

My concern with you is the amount of strength classes you are doing. It seems every run mentions a class of some description earlier that morning. Just be careful that you're not doing too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Hi all, just said I would quickly call in after my story from last year sent a small shiver through a few of ye!

First of all when Mr. Guappa asked me about highlighting my story from last year I said yes straight away because I wouldn't like any of this year's batch of Novices to have a last 10k like I did last year! From reading through the thread it seems the majority of ye are sticking to the paces and mileage outlined in the plan so ye have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Just look on my story as that small now hopefully obsolete doubt you may have had about slowing your paces down. I stupidly never bought into the idea of slow pace mileage last year thinking I knew best. I had the belief that after years playing GAA that training drills should all be done at match pace in order to get the full benefit from them, Big Mistake!! To quote my alter ego I was "the worst DCM Novice ever"!

As Coogy already said my disappointment wasn't solely at not running an arbitrary time in my head but more so from the nature of my collapse in those last 6 miles. That collapse wasn't due to anything I really did on the day but from the accumulated fatigue of months of doing series of long runs and pretty much all my runs at PMP.

I wasn't the only one out there suffering in that last 6 miles, I had plenty of company from other unfortunates. It will happen to more novices this year but I guarantee it won't happen to anyone in this thread if you follow the plan and heed the expert advice from the 3 mentors. Ye will be the best prepared bunch at that start line.

The marathon can be an unforgiving distance. Give it the respect it deserves and it will repay you in spades with an enormous sense of accomplishment, happiness and pride that you will share with family and friends for a long time.

Best of luck to ye all, enjoy the journey and I look forward to reading your own individual DCM reports in 3 months time!

Now I'm off to change my boards username and change my Strava settings to private!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Hi all, just said I would quickly call in after my story from last year sent a small shiver through a few of ye!

First of all when Mr. Guappa asked me about highlighting my story from last year I said yes straight away because I wouldn't like any of this year's batch of Novices to have a last 10k like I did last year! From reading through the thread it seems the majority of ye are sticking to the paces and mileage outlined in the plan so ye have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Now I'm off to change my boards username and change my Strava settings to private!!

Cheers for allowing your story to be shared!! Yes it defo wasn't a pleasant read, i felt your pain for those last few miles!! Took me a while to get it but now i understand the importance of those easy miles :) In my opinion the best way to improve is to ask questions & get advice from others who have experience ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Quick question. I again read the plan wrong and only did 4 miles on Tuesday instead of 5 miles. I did the 7 miles with PMP last night and was wondering about doing the 5 miles easy tonight instead. Tomorrow will be rest day and Saturday LSR. Just checking that's alright.

eabha19 wrote: »
    Quick question. I again read the plan wrong and only did 4 miles on Tuesday instead of 5 miles. I did the 7 miles with PMP last night and was wondering about doing the 5 miles easy tonight instead. Tomorrow will be rest day and Saturday LSR. Just checking that's alright.

I'd stick to the 3 mile recovery in the plan. No need to be doing too much ahead of a big LSR on Saturday. You actually did 4.5 miles on Tuesday anyway, so 0.5 of a mile isn't going to make much difference.

Thanks Mr Guappa - I'm a bit anal about trying to stick to the plan and yet at the same time I can't ever seem to read it properly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Is anyone else hoping for a 4:30 marathon meaning a PMP of 10:18 min / miles?
    Had a look on Strava for the first time in a while & you're all running way faster than I am with my lunch run there of 5 miles at 11:21 min / mile

Am doing the Dun Laoghaire 10km on Monday & can't see how I'm going to do it in the 8 odd mins / miles I'd usually do

frash wrote: »
    Had a look on Strava for the first time in a while & you're all running way faster than I am with my lunch run there of 5 miles at 11:21 min / mile

Am doing the Dun Laoghaire 10km on Monday & can't see how I'm going to do it in the 8 odd mins / miles I'd usually do

If it makes you feel any better, I trained for a 4:30 last year and ran all of my easy runs slower than 11:48/mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Yeah that's fine. Maybe do the 3 miles easy Sunday evening then?

My concern with you is the amount of strength classes you are doing. It seems every run mentions a class of some description earlier that morning. Just be careful that you're not doing too much.

Thanks Mr. Guappa. I actually had a chat with my trainer yday about scaling back, so going to do that !!

The reason I'm tired is completely a wrong-doing of my own. We had a charity cycling event in work yday & I was hellbent on beating everyone. In hindsight, maybe not the best idea!!

frash wrote: »

I'm hoping for 4:20 to 4:30 but I'll take finishing with a smile. I'm doing my easy runs at about 11 min/mile or a little under and long runs are more or less the same or a little over that. My PMP is about 10 mins/mile but some of them were just under because I find it really hard to stick to the PMP. I've worked hard on slowing down since joining this plan - so much so that I've abandoned my clubmates to run solo because we were running much faster paces. I have joined them once a week for their recovery run which is still faster than my easy runs but it keeps the contact up with them.

I'm thinking the same about picking up my pace for the Kilcock 10 mile - my pb was in February and I ran it in 1hr 28, not sure I'll have that in me at the moment. It'll be interesting to test the legs though if nothing else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

quick question and prob should be able to find this if I searched a bit but thought id check here anyway

i mentioned earlier finishing last year around 4.15 mark, and this year i would like to come in sub 4 - lets aim for 3.45/3.50 just for now

can anyone advise what pace my LSR should be (in kmph)? i am usually doing LSR at around 6kmph but this is probably a bit too fast?

i guess 6:30kmph would be around 45 seconds more than PMP for 3.50 which is 5.45kmph but i should probably reduce that a bit as i am looking at KM so maybe 6.15kmph for LSR?

if anyone can confirm that would be much appreciated, i have def been running too fast through training this year and last year too. hard to slow down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

Hi NakedL,

I am no expert, but chiming in as I google'ed this only yesterday:

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/a761676/rws-training-pace-calculator/

With a 4h finish target:

Your easy run training pace is: 6:22 min/km
    Your tempo run training pace is: 5:19 min/km
    Your VO2-max training pace is: 4:48 min/km
    Your speed form training pace is: 4:26 min/km
    Your long run training pace is: 6:22 - 7:10 min/km
    Your Yasso 800s training pace is: 3:57 min/800

My last two attempts at DCM were around 4h 55m mark, so I went in to the above and entered a rather lofty 4h 30m goal and got the following:

Your easy run training pace is: 7:07 min/km
    Your tempo run training pace is: 5:58 min/km
    Your VO2-max training pace is: 5:23 min/km
    Your speed form training pace is: 4:59 min/km
    Your long run training pace is: 7:07 - 8:00 min/km
    Your Yasso 800s training pace is: 4:27 min/800

I have been training slightly faster than these paces, but planning to "slow down harder" going forward.

I am sure Mr. Guappa and others will set us both straight if the above numbers are off.

Advertisement