Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes plus some. This week will be trickier as headed across the Atlantic for the long weekend. Plan to do my 7 mile LSR on Wednesday and 3-5 easy miles tomorrow and Tuesday. Will try to get a little run in Thursday morning at the crack of dawn before my flight but no promises. Little chance of running over the weekend in the US but will pack the runners just in case.

- Did you run all the runs at an appropriate pace?
    I think my 10 mile LSR on Saturday could have been a touch slower. Blaming the energy boost in the second half of that run on the gel I took at mile 5. Will do a better job of holding back going forward.

- Which aspects of your training/preparation need improving?

I need to get more sleep! And working on eating before my early morning longer runs (I had 1/2 bagel with peanut butter and banana before that LSR which worked well for me so will keep that up).

Can’t believe we’re 1/3 of the way thru! Hope you all have good weeks and happy running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

Yes i got all my runs in!

As spotted by the eagle eyed Mr Guppa some of my paces have crept up this week - have had a lot on my mind so possibly not concentrating properly on the pace but i will this week...promise ;)

So far i'm pretty happy with how its going with both but i think maybe i should start doing a few runs with no music! As i run alone i always have my music so will try a couple without it!

1st coats done in the kitchen & hall stairs & landing thanks for asking Mr Guppa :D
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    WEEK 6!!

After this week we will be 1/3 of the way through the plans - the time really is racing by. Well done on getting this far - week 5 saw many of you running distances you've never ran before - super stuff! I'm pleased to see that most of our advice regarding pacing, (not) racing and training is sinking in - you are training for a marathon and yes it is hard work and requires sacrifice, but it will be worth it.

I just want to re-highlight a couple of great posts from during the week. This one from Fusitive regarding consistent and sensible training was very

Finally in our week 5 recap:
    - Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not

Ya, I got all my runs in

Ya felt, I rang my weekly miles at a slower pace, although my LSR was probably slower than usual, I blame the bills

I am following the HH novice plan, I didn't get any cross training in, between the long run and walking the dog, I felt my legs needed a break. I need to get a run in tomorrow as I have a busy work schedule this week. I wont get out on Tuesday.
    Cross training and diet need some work ing on

Ya, I got all my runs in

Ya felt, I ran my weekly miles at a slower pace, although my LSR was probably slower than usual, I blame the hills

I am following the HH novice plan, I didn't get any cross training in, between the long run and walking the dog, I felt my legs needed a break. I need to get a run in tomorrow as I have a busy work schedule this week. I wont get out on Tuesday.

Wombled wrote: »

Yes i got all my runs in!

As spotted by the eagle eyed Mr Guppa some of my paces have crept up this week - have had a lot on my mind so possibly not concentrating properly on the pace but i will this week...promise ;)

So far i'm pretty happy with how its going with both but i think maybe i should start doing a few runs with no music! As i run alone i always have my music so will try a couple without it!

1st coats done in the kitchen & hall stairs & landing thanks for asking Mr Guppa :D
    WEEK 6!!

After this week we will be 1/3 of the way through the plans - the time really is racing by. Well done on getting this far - week 5 saw many of you running distances you've never ran before - super stuff! I'm pleased to see that most of our advice regarding pacing, (not) racing and training is sinking in - you are training for a marathon and yes it is hard work and

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Rega wrote: »

I got out for 4 sessions this week. I usually do 5. I had a fright Wednesday morning when I woke with a pain at the back of my leg, above the knee.
    I put it down to the busy day I had the day before where I had a long flight, had cut the grass and had gone on a 3 mile run. I didn't run that day but felt fine the day after. That pushed everything back a day so I only got out for my 12 mile lsr today. Thankfully my leg is fine now.

Yeah. My training pace is around 10.30 minute miles while my lsr pace is around 11 minute miles. My pmp is 9 minute miles. The last few 10 milers and half marathon I've done have been run at 8.30 minute miles so I'm happy enough so far.

I went out for my lsr today without hydrating properly or even bringing any water with me. I definitely noticed it for the last 3 miles. Schoolboy error. I must get a water bottle to bring with me.

Nice sensible decision resting the leg that day - great that it's better now too.

Being appropriately hydrated is of huge importance, so do try and plan for that in future. As an example, I did 12 miles (2 x 6 mile loops) yesterday and had a 300ml bottle with me, and a larger bottle left back at the start of the loop. I drank 300ml on the first loop, and then re-filled (and drank) from the larger bottle back at the start, and drank another 300ml on the second loop. Even when not running try and drink plenty of water throughout the day, with the occasional electrolyte tab thrown in.

Your easy and LSR paces look pretty good for now, although I'd have PMP at about 9:30/mi for the moment.

• Advertisement

Wombled wrote: »

Ya, I got all my runs in

Ya felt, I ran my weekly miles at a slower pace, although my LSR was probably slower than usual, I blame the hills

Well the good news is that walking the dog counts as cross-training :)

Fraggle07 wrote: »
    Yes i did

Yep, did better this week. Was very happy to be able to keep a steady consistent LSR pace for the 15mile.

I've already started testing gels and getting used to those as well as electrolyte tabs and carrying water. I've never used gels before this week, so that's all new.

I'm conscious that all my runs are on the flat, so I'm not getting any hills in.

Really nice job on the pacing this week, well done!

The topics of hills came up last week. There's not a massive need to be incorporating loads of climbing into our training for Dublin, but a bit of a bumpy route every now and then would be no harm at all.

Treviso wrote: »
    Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    Yes, step back week for me in my plan and I feel refreshed after it. For those on the HH plan, embrace the week and don't be tempted to up the paces as the mileage is less. I have a tough three weeks coming up so it's good going into those weeks feeling refreshed

This is very sound advice.
    Did you run all the runs at an appropriate pace?
    Think so, I always seem to be slightly faster than planned pace on average. With the mileage increasing next week, I'm hoping to stick rigidly to the pace or going even slower.

Which aspects of your training/preparation need improving?
    I'm the worst for stretching and do zero strength & conditioning work. It's definitely an area to improve on. Was thinking of doing some wall climbing to improve core strength. My two girls go every week so it would be a handy time to go too. Also, diet could always do with improvement

I know Murph_D gave you some advice regarding training paces over on your log. You should take that into account.

Doc76 wrote: »

Yes plus some. This week will be trickier as headed across the Atlantic for the long weekend. Plan to do my 7 mile LSR on Wednesday and 3-5 easy miles tomorrow and Tuesday. Will try to get a little run in Thursday morning at the crack of dawn before my flight but no promises. Little chance of running over the weekend in the US but will pack the runners just in case.

I think my 10 mile LSR on Saturday could have been a touch slower. Blaming the energy boost in the second half of that run on the gel I took at mile 5. Will do a better job of holding back going forward.

I need to get more sleep! And working on eating before my early morning longer runs (I had 1/2 bagel with peanut butter and banana before that LSR which worked well for me so will keep that up).

Can’t believe we’re 1/3 of the way thru! Hope you all have good weeks and happy running :)

We're nearly 1/3 of the way through - after this week we will be :)

Enjoy the trip!

Well done everyone! Some great running. ��

Had another bad week. I start off great and always have drama. This week it was a wisdom tooth, which i am getting sorted week after next. On antibiotics again!

Took a few days rest and managed a fairly handy 22km run this morning. Did two laps of a 10km route I know and had planned to do 25km, but I ran out of time. I was on croissant duty!

Had a gel and a bottle of water with a nuun tablet. All good!

Obviously issues will pop up from time to time that mean we are going to miss runs, but I do think that you need to plan your week better so that you are getting in the mileage. Easy and often. Consistency.

Speaking of easy - you're still running far too fast. All your runs are at marathon pace or faster. SLOW DOWN.

If you're struggling to find the time to get in all the runs and the miles on the boards plan then maybe it's time to switch to the HH?

• Advertisement

Hard to believe another week training done.. Coming around very quick.

25km (can't migrate to miles after so long) done and thoroughly enjoyed it.. No soreness after.
    Possibly due to a brand new pair of brooks I bought myself! Like running on a cloud.

Only got four runs in this week so will push on next week to make sure I hit the 5.

Well done to everyone still pushing on.. Its great to see "1 new record" each week on the garmin as the runs get longer!

Main thing to take away for me this week was I took on 1.5l of water during long run without any impact which was unexpected but great. Combined with no gel issues I was very happy with how it went

Just as a point to everyone, and it's hopefully obvious, but probably worth stating anyway - if a run must be dropped in a certain week, then make it a short one. The long runs are the most important - move heaven and earth to get them in, then dot in the easy ones where you can around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Yes although again I read the plan wrong and ran one of the 4miles easy for 3 miles instead. Second time I've missed a one mile increase so am looking more carefully this week!

I think so except for my recovery run and this is because it's the one run in the week that I'm joining my club mates so I've decided to go with it, given that I've dropped out of club sessions and am doing my long run alone. Having said that it was a lovely run, we chatted all the way and it felt easy - even if it was a little (just a little) faster than my other runs. I've gotten very used to the slower pacing - will be interesting at the 10 mile race in August if my legs actually remember how to run any faster than my PMP!

Reading the plan properly! Plus nutrition, both from trying out gels on runs (going to buy some today) to not eating all the crap when I'm not running. I cannot seem to mentally get in the place of eating better, maybe because all my mental effort is engaged in upping that mileage. Also stretching and strength and conditioning in general but it's just hard to fit it all in on top of running 5/6 times a week.

On another note my son noticed that my shin bone on my leg that has achilles issues looks like it's protruding and it seems to stick out a bit more than the other leg. Maybe it's always been that way, have no idea but had been thinking of booking a sports massage so gonna try to do that with a physio and ask them to check it out at the same time.

P.S. Would you recommend using a training log here or is strava not the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Returned home on Wednesday and did 4 miles Thursday and 3 Friday as per boards plan. Following advice on here, decided to swap to HHN1 plan swapping the 10 mile LSR with the 7 for this coming week. Legs were tired and sore yesterday (which I was expecting after jumping straight back in) so took the day to rest the legs but feeling much better today.

Struggled with pacing having been out of practice but I should get it back.

Need to make sure I get back into my routine first and foremost. After that, making sure I'm running at a proper pace and nutrition for LSRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

eabha19 wrote: »
    P.S. Would you recommend using a training log here or is strava not the same thing?

Strava is fine but a training log gives more context and allows you to analyse your runs and training more.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

No :( missed the long run this week. Weekend was a bit of a nitemare with stuff going on. First long run missed, devastated over it. Is there any point doing it tonight and resting tomorrow?

Paces are improving, although my watch ran out of battery on Friday so had to go by feel. Id say i speed up a bit

Consistency!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭py

All done at correct distance.

Pacing is moving in the right direction. Another 5-10 seconds on the runs should see me right.

Midweek runs
    1 -  5Km, 6:18/Km,  143avg HR
    2 -  8Km,  6:22/Km,  148avg HR
    3 -  5Km,  6:28/Km,  141avg HR
    LSR
    16Km, 6:35/Km,  139avg HR

Not sure there is any right now. I've been good with recovery (rest, stretching, rolling, salt baths) and nutrition (eating relatively clean and at right times - weight finally going in right direction with no drastic losses). The runs themselves have been going fine and I've started to incorporate some of the DCM route in to my LSR so hoping to cover most of it come October so I'm familiar with the roads. Legs did feel tired on Saturday during LSR but I was on my feet all day Friday (unusual for me) and I'd say they should feel that way before the step back week anyway.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Strava is fine but a training log gives more context and allows you to analyse your runs and training more.

Ok, set up my training log - it's DCM - Eabha19

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058001189

eabha19 wrote: »
    Ok, set up my training log - it's DCM - Eabha19

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058001189

I should probably be more active on my own :o I will follow with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Got all of the runs in but swapped a few around to work in a sports massage on Thursday evening.

Mostly. MP miles on Wednesday's session were a bit on a fast side, so something I'll need to keep an eye on.

I haven't even started to look at the fueling side of things, but with an 18 mile LSR on Sunday, I'll need to.

• Advertisement

Irishder wrote: »

No :( missed the long run this week. Weekend was a bit of a nitemare with stuff going on. First long run missed, devastated over it. Is there any point doing it tonight and resting tomorrow?

Paces are improving, although my watch ran out of battery on Friday so had to go by feel. Id say i speed up a bit

Consistency!!

You do seem to be missing a run a week. I know it's difficult but is there any way you can manage to do the planned four runs a week?

I think it's okay if you do your LSR tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

All runs done, bar dropping the Friday run for a rest day which is fine on the boards plan.
    All pretty good, happy out
    We had a wedding on Friday, with associated late night shapes being thrown. That caused a mild hangover & 3.999 yr old based 6 AM wake up. LSR was as late as possible and character building! Said child's 4th birthday on Sunday was also the cause of an uncomfortably full recovery run, Chocolate biscuit cake, drool :D
    So; more sleep needed, foam roller has been reintroduced, less/milder social activity before LSR :o

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

89 days...

Did I get all the runs in?
    Yes - quite delighted as I really wasn’t very well early in the week with some kind of head cold or virus - but the runs really did help me. The cross training is going well - swimming for the second week and I am loving it - my cardio has improved so much from running I can now swim 27 lengths - and it really frees everything up. I am thinking of starting a thread...tales from an Offaly steam room...the conversations are mad!

Right pace?
    3 mile - 11.27/ mile Heart Rate 132 Elevation 146 gain
    5 mile - 12.19/mile Heart Rate 132 Elevation 139 gain
    3 mile - 11.30/mile Heart Rate 131 Elevation 133 gain
    10 mile - 12.16/mile Heart Rate 132 Elevation 419 gain

Going ok - but I am a bit worried that my elevations are making my life harder - are they excessive? What’s the elevation gain for the DCM?

Any things I need to work on?
    This week I am breaking all rules and will race the 5k Birr Road Run - it’s the last in the series and I have done them all. So I am trying to figure out how best to structure my week - I am thinking 3 miles tonight, 5 tomorrow and then rest Weds and Thurs, 3 miles Friday racing and then Cross Train Sat and LSR 7 miles Sunday.

I am also having a major phobia of gels - so much different info out there. I didn’t use anything for the 10 mile this week. I did carry water with me which I don’t usually do. What are the alternatives to gels - more natural if possible and do they do the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

Did you get all your runs in??
    Yes I got all my runs in this week after the previous week being sick with tonsillitis, I feel I'm back on track now so try and push on again this week..
    Have been following the HH novice plan but have been looking at maybe moving over to the boards plan as this plan will be better for me in the long run I feel..
    Did I run all my runs at an appropriate pace??
    For the majority I did stick to pacing quite well. Sometimes I feel good and push on a little too far but remember the bigger plan.
    Any opinion on changing plan ??

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

I got all the runs in. My Wednesday run was quite late in the evening. Those mid-week runs are definitely better for me in morning, lunch time or running home from work.

I've really settled into the running slow and easy. However, my Tuesday run was faster than it should have been. It was really windy out on South Wall Pier and I literally got blown back on the return leg of the run!!

As others have already stated, I'm interested seeing how I'm going to get on in the FD 10 Mile race... Hope the legs remember how to move a little bit quicker. :-)

I see a lot of people seem to be eating bagels, is there any particular reason behind this? I usually have a couple of slices of toast before a run. Before the LSR on Saturday I had two slices of toast with slices of banana, peanut butter and tahini chocolate spread on it.

I have a running vest and thought it might be a bit overkill for the LSR but think it might be the easiest way to stay hydrated so will bring this out from now on. Also, need to buy some electrolyte tabs so if anyone has any recommendations..?

Stretching and foam rolling.... I always seem to avoid doing these. I’m going to try and incorporate them into my training this week.

All in all, I'm quite happy with another week of the training ticked off and as always, I love seeing everyone else out and about training. I really feel like a member of the club/team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭py

What’s the elevation gain for the DCM?

In total I believe it's around 200 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I am also having a major phobia of gels - so much different info out there. I didn’t use anything for the 10 mile this week. I did carry water with me which I don’t usually do. What are the alternatives to gels - more natural if possible and do they do the same thing?

The High 5 energy gels are worth trying. They are probably at the most liquid end of the gel spectrum and I find them very easy to take.
    I don't think ya really need them yet in a nutritional sense but just to get used to taking them and seeing what works so you are comfortable on race day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Naoise14

Hi! I am super late to this thread but I would love to join if ye will have me🙂 First marathoner here too! I have been plugging away myself at the training but this thread offers great advice so hoping I can join in!

have you raced before?
    Yes, a couple of halfs, 10 milers and 10ks.

If so what are your PBs? (Best half was 1hr45 something October 18, but my fitness has declined a bit with work hours increasing and family life being mental.
    10mile- I’m around the 1hr20 mark these days... did Mullingar 10 mile last sat but I fell and couldn’t get my act together after that! So finished in 1hr 24. Date and distance please!)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? Not unless I fall 🀦*♀️

How much training do you currently do ?Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. I currently run 4 days, have 5in my plan but never seem to get out the last day. And swim and cross train on one of the easy run days too.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? I would like to complete it in under 4 hours.

How many days a week can you train? 4-5
    And what plan do you intend to follow?HH intermediate
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? My guts not holding out for the distance🙈
    Why are you running this marathon? Because I need another commitment in my life😩😂😂 but really because I want to tick it off my bucket list🙂

I am currently really struggling with running my lsr and easy runs slowly- I know that’s a rookie mistake, but I honestly don’t get how you are expected to up the pace by 30secs a km over 26 miles in the marathon when you haven’t trained at that pace? Surely adrenaline only carries you so far? I have also found since training started that I am slower than I used to be... It’s like I have lost fitness since I have slowed down so much, and it’s still not as slow as I should be running...Any advice welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

All done. :)

PMP is 8.40 - 8.45. First easy run was at 9.25 which was faster than intended. The rest of the easy runs were at approx 9.50 with the LSR at approx 10.00. It probably wouldn't hurt to make the easy runs a smidge slower again i.e. 10 minute miles for the easy runs and push the lsr back out to 10.30.

I know this is sacrilege for this forum but I don't do any foam rolling and very little stretching. Initially when I started running I'd try stretching (static) and find I'd hurt something so now I just do a brief jog to warm up before a race instead and/or some dynamic stretching if I don't feel like I look too foolish doing it. For easy runs I don't do anything - just run off slowly.
    I was to the physio during the week for a non-running injury and took the opportunity to ask about running matters. Her take was to recommend stretching but that there was no evidence behind foam rolling.

Another thing I have to get on top of is nutrition and hydration. I took a 500ml bottle of water with a high 5 isotonic tablet in it with me on my 15 mile run and definitely felt refreshed after every swig. I thought I'd find it annoying to carry but not at all. A 750 ml bottle would have been better though or perhaps more.
    I also took a pack of high 5 caffeine energy gums. I took these at the 5 mile and 10 mile mark and didn't really notice any effect. I wasn't a fan of how they stuck to my teeth either. I carried a high 5 gel as well but didn't use it. I just wanted to have it in reserve in case I started to bonk.
    I'll try the high 5 carbohydrate/isotonic powder next week on my lsr and bring some jellies with me to see how I get on with those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

Yes. Five days' running for a total of 39 miles.

I think so. I split Thursday's planned 7 miles into 5 miles in the morning and 2 in the evening, both easy pace. Saturday's run was pacing 27 minutes at the parkrun so my pace was 8:38 per mile, which I'm counting as a tempo since every other run this week was easy. LSR was 16 miles and I enjoyed it. I ran with a friend and was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to pay attention to my pace and heart rate, but actually it was fine. I took a gel after an hour and another after 2 hours - my first time taking more than one. No ill effects from either.

I'm amazed at how every week I feel like I'm struggling in the last few miles and then the following week I manage to complete that same distance with no problem whatsoever while adding more miles on top! On Sunday, my friend went off in a different direction at the 12 mile mark and I went off by myself - I actually noticed during mile 14 that I was going too fast and had to make a conscious effort to slow down. Yet just a couple of weeks ago I was really struggling to do 14 miles!

Today is my rest day and then I'm on a step-back week due to holidays. I'm a bit nervous about the step back and feel like I might be wasting all the good training I've been doing, but I just have to trust the process! I'll run four days including a parkrun on Saturday, a shorter LSR of 10 miles on Sunday, and two easy runs.

The thing that's been causing me the most stress is actually fitting the runs into my life. For example, I really overbooked myself this weekend just gone in terms of activities. I agreed to go to a talk in Carlow, an hour and a half drive from home, that started at 2 o'clock on Sunday afternoon, and only as the weekend approached did I start thinking, "Hold on, how am I going to fit in a 16 mile run, plus shower and eating, before that?" In the end I went for my run at 7 am and it was fine, but from now on I really need to consult my training plan before agreeing to do other activities. It's only until October so I think people will understand!

Advertisement