Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Let us know how you got on in Week 6:
    - Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes got 6 runs in this week so very happy with that!

- Did you run all the runs at an appropriate pace?

Yes i did & i managed to get my 1st mile spot on yesterday in my LSR ( this is usually my fastest mile ) so i did a tiny celebration dance but then continued on ;)

- Are you satisfied with how your training is progressing?

Yes i am really happy with my training, feeling good with hydrating, using gels & the right running gear! I am feeling stronger & more confident as the weeks go on & actually quite proud of the commitment & hard work i've put in so far... just like everyone else here :)

Best of luck with the training this week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    Yes, done 10 mile this week as i missed last weeks LSR

Did you run all the runs at an appropriate pace?
    Yes, slowed down the LSR and it really made a difference

Are you satisfied with how your training is progressing?
    Need to keep consistent. This week will be a struggle as i am away in centre parcs longford for the week but just need to get the midweeks runs done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭frash

Yes but yesterday's 7 miles was only 3 (a very slow and hungover 3) as I'm racing a 10km tomorrow.

Yes

Yes, although heading on 3.5 weeks holiday next week but going to hopefully get the runs in early.
    Also I've just noticed the HHN1 goes from 16m LSR to a 20m. Why is there no 18m run?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

frash wrote: »
    Yes but yesterday's 7 miles was only 3 (a very slow and hungover 3) as I'm racing a 10km tomorrow.

Yes

Yes, although heading on 3.5 weeks holiday next week but going to hopefully get the runs in early.
    Also I've just noticed the HHN1 goes from 16m LSR to a 20m. Why is there no 18m run?

Best of luck tomorrow!

I see that the original HHN1 plan has an 18 miler the week of the Dublin Half, so at a guess I'd say that it was felt a Half + a short warm up and cool down was a suitable replacement for an 18 mile training run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

All done. Decided to do the recovery run as well today as I felt it helped last week.

All within the pace bands. I'd probably prefer the lsr to be a tad slower (10.30 rather than 10.00) but it's ok I guess.

Quite happy with how things are going. It's a bit odd - sometimes during a run I think "God, there's no way I'm going to be able to keep this going for 26 miles" and then think "yeah, I'll definitely be able to do 26" (sometimes within the same run :pac:)

This week's LSR was better than last week as I felt I could have kept going for another mile or two if I had to. After last week's LSR I don't think I could have gone further - just felt shattered.

Picked up some new shoes this week so nice and cushioned for the longer miles :). While getting the shoes I also picked up this hydration pack in the running shop.
    Tried it out on my LSR and it lasted about 20 meters. :( The 500ml water bottle felt like a loose brick bouncing up and down in the small of my back. This seemed certain to cause injury so I just carried the bottle instead.
    Went running with it again this evening on a 3 mile run with the belt pulled much tighter and the bottle resting against the hip rather than the small of the back. This resulted in much less bounce and far more comfort so happy days.

I popped a sachet of High 5 Energy drink powder (Berry flavour) in the 500 bottle of water and that's all I used on the long run. It tasted pretty much like Ribena and worked well I think.

Looking forward to the step back next week. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Week 7 looming already! I am befuddled with how fast time is flying by!

Yes, one extra run today as a recovery, and a couple of extra miles added through the week.
    I had to step all midweek runs back by a day as I'd a family wedding on Thursday, but it all worked out fine!
    Monday 3.1 miles; 12.02 mins/mile, avg HR 142bpm
    Tuesday 5.1 miles; 12.01 mins/mile, avg HR 139bpm
    Wednesday 4.5 miles; 11.13 mins/mile, avg HR 138bpm
    Saturday 8.1 miles; 11.57 mins/mile, avg HR 140bpm
    Sunday 3 miles recovery; 12.44 mins/mile, avg HR 123bpm

Yes, as above. Monday was a bit of a struggle due to *ahem* recovery from hen party on Sunday for said family wedding *ahem*:o

Yes and no.
    Yes, because I feel comfortable and pretty happy with how I feel when I run, and I feel I can take on distances I never thought I could before embarking on this road!
    No, because I have been struggling for some weeks now with thoughts that I chose the wrong plan.
    I'm on the HHN1 plan. However, although I haven't been consistent all year every year, I have been running for many years now, and I kinda feel I'm not getting enough done with the HHN1 plan :o
    I know the miles are going to start climbing from now on anyway, but I am concerned I'm not getting as many miles in as I feel able for, and I won't get as many miles in as I'd like to in the coming months.
    I have also been consistently adding bells and whistles to HHN1 ove the weeks and months, including hills, form drills, and strides, and despite preferring to train to HR, I feel like I'm missing out on the midweek Boards sessions, such as X miles at PMP.
    It sorta suited me to stick to HHN1 over the past couple of weeks as I had a lot of family social stuff on, but this coming week strikes me as an opportunity to jump across to the Boards plan? Maybe?
    What do ye think mentors? Huzzah! had broached this subject with me before when I voiced similar concerns a few weeks back, at that point feeling that I could switch... but I didn't really absorb that until over the past few days :o

Also, whilst I'm here! The Tullamore HM is on August 31st. I know a few of us are doing it, and it lands a couple of weeks earlier than on either HHN1 or the Boards planned Race Series HM.
    Can ye advise on how to shuffle things around to accommodate it?
    Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭py

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

Yup, all done and required distance covered.

Midweek runs
    1 -  5Km, 6:45/Km,  126avg HR
    2 -  8Km,  6:23/Km,  142avg HR
    3 -  5Km,  6:12/Km,  135avg HR
    LSR
    12Km, 6:42/Km,  142avg HR

The last midweek run is quicker than I would've liked.

Thursday's midweek run nearly didn't happen. Almost broke my routine of running at lunch. "I'll do it later this evening". Had I left it till the evening it probably wouldn't have got done so thankfully spotted the potential for self sabotage and got out the door. Whilst it's faster than I would've liked, it got done and I'm still on track. Big step up in the Km this week so going to need to ensure recovery, stretching and rolling gets done. Holidays next week but bringing my gear with me so the plan is to get up early and get the runs done to avoid the heat and not disrupt family time.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Just quick question. I'm doing the Kilcock 10 mile on 18th August, the week before FD 10 mile. Should I make some changes to plan over the next two weeks or just swap the LSR planned for the 18th August out to the 25th August, where FD 10 mile is scheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Karlos80

All done. Morphed towards the boards plan gradually over last couple of weeks, so pretty much on that plan fully now.
    Mon - Easy run
    Tues - workout/PMP run
    Wed - Easy run
    Thu - rest
    Fri - Easy 5k
    Sat - LSR
    Sun - Rec

Yes, happy with the easy and long rung pace, could have eased back a small bit on PMP run midweek.

Yes, fairly comfortable. The achilles is still niggling away, not letting me forget, but managing it OK. Also just entered the FD10M and DCHM. 🀞ðŸ႒*♂️

eabha19 wrote: »
    Just quick question. I'm doing the Kilcock 10 mile on 18th August, the week before FD 10 mile. Should I make some changes to plan over the next two weeks or just swap the LSR planned for the 18th August out to the 25th August, where FD 10 mile is scheduled.

I would keep this week as per the plan, then just swap weeks 8 and 9 around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

All runs in as planned, was working nights during the week so it was hard going. Went out yesterday evening to do my LSR in the torrential rain soaked through the skin, but all worth it in the end. This week I am going to get my diet sorted . Thanks again for all the support on this page

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

All runs in as planned, was working nights during the week so it was hard going. Went out yesterday evening to do my LSR in the torrential rain soaked through the skin, but all worth it in the end. This week I am going to get my diet sorted . Thanks again for all the support on this page

Wombled wrote: »

Fair play for getting the runs in while working nights too. I have to do the same myself very second week. It's not easy - well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sorbet

Had a bad week last week as had to skip three runs due to a knee niggle and then a non running related ankle twist. First runs from the plan that I've missed so was really dissapointed. Away at the moment and taking the advice from the mentors, really didn't want to miss my LSR. Had to wait till the ankle felt ok so did it this morning - 16 miles, my longest run ever and I am guessing the most elevation I've ever done! Wrecked but so delighted to have got it done. Hoping I'll be ok tomorrow to continue on with plan.

When I get back home I'll book in with physio to get a few exercises to strengthen whatever needs to be done to look after knee. Timely reminder that I really need to do some sort of cross training - easy to forget when you're feeling fine. I had some dark thoughts last week that I won't make start line of DCM if I don't cop on. Good to see I'm not alone and some of your niggles are getting sorted - gives me hope:). Thanks for sharing - really helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Yes all done by Thursday to accommodate a quick break away.

Yes

Yes! I appreciated the step back this week in the HH plan especially as I was traveling and am really looking forward to getting stuck back in tomorrow.

Hope anyone who did the Bay 10k in Dun Laoghaire today enjoyed it. Was so sorry to miss it this year as it’s a great event!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Rega wrote: »

Yep. I've been more clued in with my hydrating during the day before running. Also tried a gel for the first time on my long run yesterday. I didn't notice any ill effects so I'm happy with that. I'm going to make more of an effort to get the foam roller out. My hamstring felt a little tight again on Friday but it was grand for my lsr on Saturday and the recovery run today.

Stick your foam roller beside the TV as a reminder. Even 10 minutes a night would be great.
    Another week down! Where is the time going?

Did I do all the runs and were they at the right pace?

Got the runs in. Had a lovely back and head massage on Monday and eating very well this week. Was faster than usual due to the 5k but as you can see really did do a SLOW LSR!

3 miles 11.09/mile
    5 miles 11.22/mile
    5K road race 9.50/mile
    7 miles 12.44/mile
    Cross training - 1km swim

I'd love if you could slow your easy runs more as well. The LSR pace looks good.

Question - are there such things as waterproof runners? I have now been caught in 3 deluges of rain and my runners soak right through and become so heavy - if that happens at DCM I don’t know how I will get to the end...

Waterproof runners would have the downside of keeping the sweat in which would be really gross. I ran the FD10 mile three or four years ago and the weather was biblical. For the first mile, all you could hear was the squelch of everyone's runners, but I soon forgot about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

DBB wrote: »

Yes and no.
    Yes, because I feel comfortable and pretty happy with how I feel when I run, and I feel I can take on distances I never thought I could before embarking on this road!
    No, because I have been struggling for some weeks now with thoughts that I chose the wrong plan.
    I'm on the HHN1 plan. However, although I haven't been consistent all year every year, I have been running for many years now, and I kinda feel I'm not getting enough done with the HHN1 plan :o
    I know the miles are going to start climbing from now on anyway, but I am concerned I'm not getting as many miles in as I feel able for, and I won't get as many miles in as I'd like to in the coming months.
    I have also been consistently adding bells and whistles to HHN1 ove the weeks and months, including hills, form drills, and strides, and despite preferring to train to HR, I feel like I'm missing out on the midweek Boards sessions, such as X miles at PMP.
    It sorta suited me to stick to HHN1 over the past couple of weeks as I had a lot of family social stuff on, but this coming week strikes me as an opportunity to jump across to the Boards plan? Maybe?
    What do ye think mentors? Huzzah! had broached this subject with me before when I voiced similar concerns a few weeks back, at that point feeling that I could switch... but I didn't really absorb that until over the past few days :o

Also, whilst I'm here! The Tullamore HM is on August 31st. I know a few of us are doing it, and it lands a couple of weeks earlier than on either HHN1 or the Boards planned Race Series HM.
    Can ye advise on how to shuffle things around to accommodate it?
    Thanks a million :)

If you're comfortable on the plan you're on, that's a good thing. It doesn't necessarily mean that you chose the "wrong" plan. We're not even halfway there yet. It sounds like you chose the right plan: (a) for where you are now; and (b) taking "life" into account. Well done on keeping the runs truly easy. I think it's helping everything feel as manageable as it is.

I've a tendency towards being cautious, so I checked with the boss and we think that moving to the Boards plan at this stage would be a bad move. The weekday sessions build on each other and the long run is enough ahead that jumping it at this point is too much of a risk. If you're happy to keep the extra weekly run, then I see no problem in you continuing to do that.

Remind us closer to Tullamore and we'll help you shufty the plan around.

eabha19 wrote: »
    All runs done - hoping I'm now going slow enough, it certainly feels a lot more comfortable.

I was delighted to get to the 16 miles yesterday. I went to physio this week - I saw him 2 years ago when an old achilles injured flared up during training for my second half marathon. With the increase in mileage over last few months it had started up again although the pain was more located in the heel than the ankle this time. Slowing down had definitely helped a bit and I was trying to keep up the exercises he had shown but pain was still there. Went to him to make sure I was doing the right things and that he was happy with me doing the marathon. Came out delighted as he said it's completely manageable and gave me a few new exercises - the issue is plantar fasciitis (related to my weak achilles) but it's fairly mild and although it was sore at the end of the long run yesterday, there's definitely been some improvements already with the new exercises. Anyway, with that worry gone I'm feeing very positive about the marathon training. The last 2/3 weeks I've ended up doing six runs when at the start of this I had thought there was no way I'd be able to increase it to five - the slower pace has made the short runs so much more enjoyable and the dog looks like she's losing some weight, even if I'm not yet!!

As one boardsie aptly puts it in the title of their training log: "Often becomes easy when the easy is often.."

Fraggle07 wrote: »
    Yes

Yes, happy with paces this week.

Gels and electrolyte tablets all working fine. Pretty much have defined clothes I find most comfortable on long runs.

Was also at the physio during the week as I have some foot pain. It's not so bad when running, more when I walk. I have some tibialis posterior strengthening exercises and a few to strengthen my calves. One leg in particular is weaker than the other.

Your are tipping along really well - you are stringing consistent weeks together and the paces look spot on. Nice work!

Good call checking in with the physio on the foot pain. It's something everyone should probably do anyway at some stage during marathon training.

Have a think about how you are going to transport electrolyte tablets on the day of the marathon itself, if you intend to pop one into the occasional water bottle. My system last year came from a tip received from kellygirl: I saved up the little teeny zip lock bags that come attached to your clothes with a spare button in them. I safety-pinned 4 or 5 of these bags to the top of my shorts, with half an electrolyte tab in each bag, and just snapped off a bag whenever I picked up a new water bottle.

Irishder wrote: »
    Yes, done 10 mile this week as i missed last weeks LSR

Yes, slowed down the LSR and it really made a difference

Need to keep consistent. This week will be a struggle as i am away in centre parcs longford for the week but just need to get the midweeks runs done.

Nice week. Keep that consistency going and you'll be well set for DCM.

Oooh.... Center Parcs...... Enjoy :)

• Advertisement

Karlos80 wrote: »
    All done. Morphed towards the boards plan gradually over last couple of weeks, so pretty much on that plan fully now.
    Mon - Easy run
    Tues - workout/PMP run
    Wed - Easy run
    Thu - rest
    Fri - Easy 5k
    Sat - LSR
    Sun - Rec

Yes, happy with the easy and long rung pace, could have eased back a small bit on PMP run midweek.

Yes, fairly comfortable. The achilles is still niggling away, not letting me forget, but managing it OK. Also just entered the FD10M and DCHM. ��ðŸ႒*♂️

You've made some good progress over the past couple of weeks in taking the paces down a notch. I think you can even go a shade easier, but nice job.

Watch that achilles, and give it a day's rest if it's ever needed.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    All done. Decided to do the recovery run as well today as I felt it helped last week.

All within the pace bands. I'd probably prefer the lsr to be a tad slower (10.30 rather than 10.00) but it's ok I guess.

Quite happy with how things are going. It's a bit odd - sometimes during a run I think "God, there's no way I'm going to be able to keep this going for 26 miles" and then think "yeah, I'll definitely be able to do 26" (sometimes within the same run :pac:)

This week's LSR was better than last week as I felt I could have kept going for another mile or two if I had to. After last week's LSR I don't think I could have gone further - just felt shattered.

Picked up some new shoes this week so nice and cushioned for the longer miles :). While getting the shoes I also picked up this hydration pack in the running shop.
    Tried it out on my LSR and it lasted about 20 meters. :( The 500ml water bottle felt like a loose brick bouncing up and down in the small of my back. This seemed certain to cause injury so I just carried the bottle instead.
    Went running with it again this evening on a 3 mile run with the belt pulled much tighter and the bottle resting against the hip rather than the small of the back. This resulted in much less bounce and far more comfort so happy days.

I popped a sachet of High 5 Energy drink powder (Berry flavour) in the 500 bottle of water and that's all I used on the long run. It tasted pretty much like Ribena and worked well I think.

Looking forward to the step back next week. :D

Some runs will always be tougher than others due to many factors - weather, our preparation, the week that went before, etc. In addition, last weeks LSR was a good bit hillier than this weeks, which may explain the difference at the end too. Your runs in general feature a lot of climbing from what I can see - every week you are way ahead of everyone else on the elevation gained tab on strava. The occasional run on flatter terrain, if possible, wouldn't do any harm. And due to the hilly terrain, I'd be inclined to keep the paces a touch slower.

During the marathon you will need to be taking on board 60-90g of carbs per hour, which is quite a lot. How many grams of carbs are in a sachet? An does it seem like a process you can repeat multiple times at marathon pace with a tired mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Yes, I got all my runs in on week 6

Yes, all done at a good pace. LSR was slower this week but that was because it was hilly.

Yes, I am happy. Like Fraggle, I pretty much know exactly what I will wear on race day and I know what fuel I will use - I'm going for the high5 aqua gels and 1 caffeine one for the end and I will bring zero tabs. What a great idea from Kellygirl about how to transport them.

Thanks to everybody for the constant support.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

All bar the recovery run Sunday - bank holiday travelling just made it not worth the hassle

Yes, took a chance with the LSR as I loaded a trail on the watch as I wasn't 100% on the route and just ran it at what felt right pace wise. Got lucky, I was bang on 6.29/Km (10.26/mile?) in the pouring rain

Yep:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Did you get all runs done ?
    No missed one midweek run due to feeling but under weather

Pace was good I think, LSR was hard, felt awful during first half.

Are you happy with training
    Yep, I've never ran this consistently before , and just taking it one run at a time. Have tried high 5 gels and zero tablets. Love the idea of half a zero tab in those little bags, I'll start a collection! Need to purchase new runners soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Some runs will always be tougher than others due to many factors - weather, our preparation, the week that went before, etc. In addition, last weeks LSR was a good bit hillier than this weeks, which may explain the difference at the end too. Your runs in general feature a lot of climbing from what I can see - every week you are way ahead of everyone else on the elevation gained tab on strava. The occasional run on flatter terrain, if possible, wouldn't do any harm. And due to the hilly terrain, I'd be inclined to keep the paces a touch slower.

During the marathon you will need to be taking on board 60-90g of carbs per hour, which is quite a lot. How many grams of carbs are in a sachet? An does it seem like a process you can repeat multiple times at marathon pace with a tired mind?

The powder is something best suited to cyclists who can carry a bottle of prepared mix on their bike. Mixing powder and water on DCM day would be bonkers.. Take as many complications out of the day as possible.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    The powder is something best suited to cyclists who can carry a bottle of prepared mix on their bike. Mixing powder and water on DCM day would be bonkers.. Take as many complications out of the day as possible.

Oh, I'd agree completely - keep it simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ais_Byrne7

Yes, I got all my runs in, plus a small half an hour of runners yoga.

I really made an effort to slow down my pace this week, but I do need to slow this down a bit more. Continues to be m mission for this week!

Yes, so far so good! I'm feeling stronger by the week and loving the sense of community this board and strava brings :)

Hope everyone has a great week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭frash

Did the DLR 10km this morning in a time of 53.38.
    It's not a PB course but it's the only 10km I do as its the local one. Didn't get a PB (out by 2 whole mins) but am happy with result.

Think I'm still on track pace-wise for the 4:30 marathon but then again I thought that the last time too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

Before I start, I didn't post about week 5 - I was on holiday. The week was wrote off, lots of steps and swimming but not the runs I was hoping for.

Week 6 was great. Got the 5km done Tuesday, 8km Wednesday, 5km Thursday and 10km Saturday. I went on a hike yesterday too.

I'm slowing down even more (5kms were 30 & 32 mins, 8km was 47.xx and 10km was 59.5x) and they can be slowed down even more.

I've been running with no headphones (going to pick up a cheap bluetooth mp3 player & earphones asap) and have been concentrating on breathing and strides/positioning if that makes sense.

Feeling really confident and knocking the beer on the head for the next few weeks. Approx 5 weeks to the 1/2 Marathon too. This Saturdays 12mile will be my longest and I'm looking forward to it!

Advertisement