Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Jesus some seriously heavy rain and the loudest thunder and lightning I think I've ever heard in Dublin here in Citywest! There's a few alarms gone off in the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Sunny, Dry and breezy in Meath, great day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Nothing happening on the northside other than distant rumbles, 1mm today and 2mm yesterday evening so the ground remains as parched as ever.
    It will interesting comparing rainfall totals for today at Casement, Phoenix Park and Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Still cloudy in cork city today but dry at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Nothing except a moderate rain shower before 12 here on the S. Dublin coast. Ground still very dry. Can see towering cumulus clouds to the NW. Not expecting much here, but will keep an eye on the radar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

patneve2 wrote: »
    Nothing except a moderate rain shower before 12 here on the S. Dublin coast. Ground still very dry. Can see towering cumulus clouds to the NW. Not expecting much here, but will keep an eye on the radar.

Yeah,its convergence that's aiding most of these storms meaning coastal areas are relatively unscathed
    Bone dry in Arklow, suns out in fact
    All those showers travelling south well inland
    As I expected in my post in reply to meteorite on the convection thread this morning
    Really do need a lot of rain here but we won't be getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

After a nice bit of sunshine it started lashing again, but only for about a minute. It's 18.2C now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,153 ✭✭✭✭km79

great day in the West it mys be said
    Not often the Galway Races doesn't curse us!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Europe gets all the sun and t-shirt weather, then all the evaporation builds up, moves away, and gets dumped over Ireland lukewarm cool spring for a summer, even in July and likely August.

Probably not how it technically works, but sure feels like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Meanwhile on the coast here in south Wicklow,Dublins former thunderstorms are approaching
    Few drops here
    Its gas how the coast is avoided
    The flow is NW here now so hopefully it will curl in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

km79 wrote: »
    Not often the Galway Races doesn't curse us!!!!!

To hell with the Galway Races. Nothing but a big money making farce.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The_Brood wrote: »
    Europe gets all the sun and t-shirt weather, then all the evaporation builds up, moves away, and gets dumped over Ireland lukewarm cool spring for a summer, even in July and likely August.

We very, very rarely get our weather from Europe!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Rain and sun here now in Glasnevin. It's 16.0C now. The earlier high was 18.7C. There's been 4.6mm recorded so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Hey look it's a blue sky and a yellow ball in the sky in West cork (for now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭acequion

The_Brood wrote: »

Couldn't agree more! For the second evening in a row I'm frozen and have the heating on. Temp of 15C, real feel 13C. Whatever that is it sure ain't summer! :(

Now I fully expect a lambasting from those of cooler blood for "wasting" heating oil in July and maybe even a sit down techie style lecture on weather systems and Irish meteorology and how it works etc etc and looks grand lads,whatever! But all I can say in my defence, is what I said last night, anything under 20C isn't summer, in any part of the globe. And these past 3 days have been downright chilly here in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

There's a lot to be said for milder weather sometimes... https://www.theguardian.com/guardianweekly/story/0,12674,1039838,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

acequion wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more! For the second evening in a row I'm frozen and have the heating on. Temp of 15C, real feel 13C. Whatever that is it sure ain't summer! :(

I have an outside temperature of 14.3c at the moment but 22.9c inside. Heating is off for a few months now. If your outside temp is 15c at this stage of the evening and also taking into account the amount of solar heating at this time of year, I can't picture any house needing heating on this evening. Do you know what the interior temp is in your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭holliehobbie

Ye can have some of Dublin City Centre's rain! We're going to need an Ark next!

That's hard to believe! I am the coldest creature, I feel the cold before most people but these evenings are pure balmy! Still have the back door open and its lovely (Louth)

highdef wrote: »
    I have an outside temperature of 14.3c at the moment but 22.9c inside. Heating is off for a few months now. If your outside temp is 15c at this stage of the evening and also taking into account the amount of solar heating at this time of year, I can't picture any house needing heating on this evening. Do you know what the interior temp is in your house?

Timber framed house east/ west facing,some rooms upstairs also facing south and very warm and in fairness it's an easy enough house to heat in winter, only built in 2008.

But my kitchen [east facing and doesn't get much sun] is fairly cold which is where I am right now and sorry but heat still on.:eek: I need an indoor temp of at least 24C to be without heating and no way do I have anywhere near that in my kitchen these evenings, 18-20C at best maybe!

In summer I like to be able to go around outside and inside in summer clothes.Mostly, in Ireland, that's not possible. :(

• Advertisement

Timber framed house east/ west facing,some rooms upstairs also facing south and very warm and in fairness it's an easy enough house to heat in winter, only built in 2008.

But my kitchen [east facing and doesn't get much sun] is fairly cold which is where I am right now and sorry but heat still on.:eek: I need an indoor temp of at least 24C to be without heating and no way do I have anywhere near that in my kitchen these evenings, 18-20C at best maybe!

In summer I like to be able to go around outside and inside in summer clothes.Mostly, in Ireland, that's not possible. :(

Both our homes are of similar vintage. Mine is brick built. My kitchen is northeast facing but it's part of a fairly large open space and other parts of the space face southwest and get sun in the afternoon and evening.

I, like you, like my house to be warm although oddly enough I prefer it a bit cooler in summer than winter. Kitchen is 22.4c right now and upstairs would be about 1c warmer as there was not much sun today.

However in the winter time, I like the house to be warmer and 23/24c is a very comfortable temperature during cold/wet/windy spells in winter. Will often have the stove roaring and have it well in the mid 20's in the living area when it's below 0c outside. In winter, I like to be able to wear light clothes when in the house as it's not an option outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭compsys

Now I fully expect a lambasting from those of cooler blood for "wasting" heating oil in July and maybe even a sit down techie style lecture on weather systems and Irish meteorology and how it works etc etc and looks grand lads,whatever! But all I can say in my defence, is what I said last night, anything under 20C isn't summer, in any part of the globe. And these past 3 days have been downright chilly here in Tralee.

I’d agree. Anything under 20 in July or August feels autumnal almost.

It’s very very rare imo that you’ve cause to complain about the heat in Ireland.

Both our homes are of similar vintage. Mine is brick built. My kitchen is northeast facing but it's part of a fairly large open space and other parts of the space face southwest and get sun in the afternoon and evening.

I, like you, like my house to be warm although oddly enough I prefer it a bit cooler in summer than winter. Kitchen is 22.4c right now and upstairs would be about 1c warmer as there was not much sun today.

However in the winter time, I like the house to be warmer and 23/24c is a very comfortable temperature during cold/wet/windy spells in winter. Will often have the stove roaring and have it well in the mid 20's in the living area when it's below 0c outside. In winter, I like to be able to wear light clothes when in the house as it's not an option outside.

My kitchen is small and only gets the sun in the morning. It's also surrounded by high walls, so is very cold in a cold winter.

Me and you crossed spades before re clothing highdef :D I'm just a lunatic for seasons as well as loving seasonal fashion.So in summer I want to be dressed in summer clothes and vice versa in winter. But the problem in Kerry is that you're rarely comfortable in either. So I generally find the bland Atlantic winters too warm and most of my house is also a bit too warm in winter. I just love hot summers and cold winters and unfortunately live in the wrong part of the world for that.

But my house is really warm now after one hour of heating and it's also given me plenty hot water. So win win.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

By turning on the heating when there's no need, you're helping bring more unpleasant weather on yerselfs. Throw on a jumper in the evenings be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

A good day meteorological speaking, people I know holidaying in the west got great weather today and us rain starved gardeners in the east got a decent soaking!;)

By turning on the heating when there's no need, you're helping bring more unpleasant weather on yerselfs.

How does that work? Turning on indoor heating creates inclement weather?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

How does that work? Turning on indoor heating creates inclement weather?

Well collectively, burning the Earth's natural resources is changing our climate. 20c indoors and they need heating on instead of a jumper . I bet if we got 20c in April they were outside in tshirts.

Well collectively, burning the Earth's natural resources is changing our climate. 20c indoors and they need heating on instead of a jumper . I bet if we got 20c in April they were outside in tshirts.

Not me. I never wear a tshirt before June.:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Not me. I never wear a tshirt before June.:pac:

Me neither. The body needs time to acclimatise to new temperatures. It's no harm to feel a bit chilly or warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

By turning on the heating when there's no need, you're helping bring more unpleasant weather on yerselfs. Throw on a jumper in the evenings be grand

I just throw the jumper on because i'm cheap. :pac::pac:

Advertisement