Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you date a single mother?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    And people whose formative life experiences came from watching episodes of Friends, I would guess. Wouldn't "date" a single mother because of the "baggage," indeed.

Well it depends what you consider baggage. I despise children, so a single mother definitely has baggage for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

14dMoney wrote: »
    Well it depends what you consider baggage. I despise children, so a single mother definitely has baggage for me.

That's your baggage my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,399 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I would always have said no, but I'm now 7 years together with a single mother of 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Single mothers would be loose , hence why they are single, therefore more likely to put out.

I didn't have that issue :D

That's your baggage my friend.

No it isn't. The child belongs to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,201 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd be very open to it to be honest if we clicked.
    Once she didn't have six kids with loads of different guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

You meet a nice girl, you fancy her & then she tells you she has children......

Your loss really when you see that as a negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

You're such a Phoebe.

Single mothers would be loose , hence why they are single, therefore more likely to put out.

Idiot post of the century there pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Schwanz wrote: »

“You meet a nice girl, you fancy her & then she tells you she has a penis......

Your loss really when you see that as a negative.”

Quite honestly, I think I’ll be ok :pac:

• Advertisement

“You meet a nice girl, you fancy her & then she tells you she has a penis......

Your loss really when you see that as a negative.”

Quite honestly, I think I’ll be ok :pac:

WTF are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Yes. But...... I would try to really suss out long term compatibility asap before bonding with her child.

Don't like the idea of connecting with a child but 12 months later disappearing.

(I wouldn't automatically assume them being a mother equates to baggage)

This is pretty much how I feel, except I know that I don't want kids so I wouldn't want to waste either of our time with something casual that I know I don't want to go anywhere further.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,201 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

To be fair I don't think everybody wants to signed up to the whole kids thing early in a relationship. It may not be the type of lifestyle for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Id be wary of it....dating is enough hassle as it is,without heaping more hardship into the situation

Im not a child friendly person,just not for me,so wouldnt be fair on anyone involved....that being said...if was right person and a good fit...why not like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

If people don't want to be in a relationship with someone who has a child or children, so what? Nothing wrong with that. It's not easy.

As said though, the older a person is when single, the less choice they have in the matter. And if you like them enough, you might give making it work a shot.

WTF are you on about?

I’m pointing out the sheer stupidity of your assertion that someone else’s dealbreakers are their loss. It’s an incredibly arrogant assumption on someone else’s part to assume that the other person is losing out on something because they don’t share your opinion.

Kinda reminds me of when women assume I must be gay because I don’t want to date them, my loss though, apparently :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If she was sane and had a nice ass it'd have to be a possibility.

p.s. Yes.

Kinda reminds me of when women assume I must be gay because I don’t want to date them, my loss though, apparently :rolleyes:

It's all about you pal isn't it?

Nice rant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Not a chance. too complicated. Not into potentially being a surrogate dad plus this triangle s*ite with the ex who could well be a psycho.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

No. My missus would smother me !

• Advertisement

It's all about you pal isn't it?

Nice rant though.

It’s not about me at all, it’s about your assumptions about how other people have lost out if they have dealbreakers, like finding out a woman they like has children from a previous relationship.

That’s a dealbreaker not just for many men, but for many women too. And it’s fine, nobody has lost out because there’s no shortage in Irish society even of single people who don’t have children. It’s not something to get upset about if you like someone and find out later there’s something you don’t like about them and call it a day on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,818 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I did about ten years ago. Kinda fell into the relationship from being slightly flirty mates first. She had two kids, really nice little people, it ultimately didn’t work out.... she could be pretty impatient with them, maybe from the workload and stress of working, being a mother of two little busy girls, keeping a house...she’d have not much patience for perceived problems with them or anyone which in the end was the major catalyst for the split.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Interesting that the OP noted a 'single' mother, as opposed to a divorced or widowed woman.

Makes you wonder about how attitudes have really changed in Ireland in 2019.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

If people don't want to be in a relationship with someone who has a child of children, so what? Nothing wrong with that. It's not easy.

As said though, the older a person is when single, the less choice they have in the matter. And if you like them enough, you might give making it work a shot.

That's true it's very hard on single mothers, I've a few friend who has an authistic kid and the very minute she says it on a date the guys loose interest.

The bstrd of a father won't even see his own son because he's such hard work, she gets 4 hour's respite on a Saturday and that's it....

She's very frustrated if you get my drift, but wants a relationship...

Not into ons or fck budding want's a proper relationship, caught between a rock and a hard place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Interesting that the OP noted a 'single' mother, as opposed to a divorced or widowed woman.

Makes you wonder about how attitudes have really changed in Ireland in 2019.
    I wouldn't read that into it when it's just one person and it's something that has become a turn of phrase free of judgement much of the time.

What i don't get is the assumption by the OP that everyone here is only attracted to women.

I wouldn't read that into it when it's just one person and it's something that has become a turn of phrase free of judgement much of the time.

What i don't get is the assumption by the OP that everyone here is only attracted to women.

Much as the OP can start some head melter threads, there’s nothing in their opening post to indicate they assume everyone here is only attracted to women. You might as well take issue with the fact they didn’t make any assumptions about lesbians and people who are transgender either.

Or you could just be fair to the guy and assume he’s straight, and it’s a fairly straightforward question that doesn’t need reading into.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Much as the OP can start some head melter threads, there’s nothing in their opening post to indicate they assume everyone here is only attracted to women. You might as well take issue with the fact they didn’t make any assumptions about lesbians and people who are transgender either.

Or you could just be fair to the guy and assume he’s straight, and it’s a fairly straightforward question that doesn’t need reading into.

Maybe it's because some people have assumptions about single mothers and their characters that they don't have about single dads

I'm attracted to women Ergo, the thread is about women. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

No, and only because I don't want kids. Literally the only reason.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    Maybe it's because some people have assumptions about single mothers and their characters that they don't have about single dads

To be fair to him the OP just cleared it up there himself -

I'm attracted to women Ergo, the thread is about women. Go figure.

Single fathers get a different set of assumptions about their character :D

Advertisement