Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you date a single mother?

Options

Comments

14dMoney wrote: »
    Would you date a single mother, or would you be put off by the baggage?

Not the most eloquently worded thread in the history of Boards.ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Never date certain Asian nationalities or single mothers, their loyalty will always only be to their families and will never stop giving them money in the asian situation and with single mothers their children will always come before you as a partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Vlthap

I’m pointing out the sheer stupidity of your assertion that someone else’s dealbreakers are their loss. It’s an incredibly arrogant assumption on someone else’s part to assume that the other person is losing out on something because they don’t share your opinion.

Kinda reminds me of when women assume I must be gay because I don’t want to date them, my loss though, apparently :rolleyes:

Thanks for trying to point out the obvious to this human. However, it appears stupid doesn't recognise stupid!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Much as the OP can start some head melter threads, there’s nothing in their opening post to indicate they assume everyone here is only attracted to women. You might as well take issue with the fact they didn’t make any assumptions about lesbians and people who are transgender either.

Or you could just be fair to the guy and assume he’s straight, and it’s a fairly straightforward question that doesn’t need reading into.
    Ach I obviously mean he could have asked "Would you date someone with children" seeing as we aren't just into women here.
    theguzman wrote: »
    with single mothers their children will always come before you as a partner.
    And rightly so if they're a decent parent. Same with fathers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm dating a single mother at the moment, she has 2 kids. I just happen to be the father as well.

I'm reporting you to the welfare, fecking chancers!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No, I would generally consider them off limits. If things are very fraught with the father then it could become a minefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Hell No
    Single mothers are only looking for a man to foot the bill of housing, feeding, and clothing her and her little bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm dating a single mother at the moment, she has 2 kids. I just happen to be the father as well.

tenor.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Hell No
    Single mothers are only looking for a man to foot the bill of housing, feeding, and clothing her and her little bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Hell No
    I'd say it depends on the single mother - crazy stuff I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'd say it depends on the single mother - crazy stuff I know.

In his case I’d say it’s possibly true because they’re certainly not interested in his personality or as a male role model.

Hell No
    Wait, I thought single mothers were living the life of luxury on the taxpayer's cheque, as is?

I'm a single Dad, the baby's mum is a single mum. She's far more successful, smart and attractive than I am and the idea that she would need a man (let alone myself) to run her life is pitifully ridiculous.

The unabashed sexism on this thread is something to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Hell No
    Wait, I thought single mothers were living the life of luxury on the taxpayer's cheque, as is?

I'm a single Dad, the baby's mum is a single mum. She's far more successful, smart and attractive than I am and the idea that she would need a man (let alone myself) to run her life is pitifully ridiculous.

God forbid, should a woman be successful.

God forbid, should a woman be successful.

If she's successful she's a bitch
    If she needs some help she's a sponger

Cant win

. She's far more successful, smart and attractive than I am and the idea that she would need a man (let alone myself) to run her life is pitifully ridiculous.

Sexism aside, none of those qualities make her a good parent. You might actually be a better parent.

most men probably wouldn't be into socks* given the choice

harsh, but true. also the time limitations etc. probably easier when people have grown up kids or similar situation on both sides.

*some other cnut's kids

Sexism aside, none of those qualities make her a good parent. You might actually be a better parent.
    True, I'm just saying the idea that single mothers are spongers is far from a common experience.

If someone only knows single mothers who need a man to provide for them, I'd seriously question what kinds of people they have in their lives. Most people, male and female, don't operate like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

No. I don't want children, so a woman having a child is a deal breaker for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

I'm a woman and I certainly wouldn’t date a single father. I’ve no interest in having children myself and don’t want someone else’s children in my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    No. I don't want children, so a woman having a child is a deal breaker for me.

Why though? It's not like you're going to have to adopt the child?

I'm a single mother, my son has a perfectly good father and doesn't need another one. If I got into a relationship, I don't expect I'd even introduce the person to my son for a very long time, and I'd certainly not expect them to become a third parent to my child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What's your opinion OP???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Hell No

How ignorant...

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Why though? It's not like you're going to have to adopt the child?

I'm a single mother, my son has a perfectly good father and doesn't need another one. If I got into a relationship, I don't expect I'd even introduce the person to my son for a very long time, and I'd certainly not expect them to become a third parent to my child.

Is it not very obvious why not?

He said he doesn't want children but if he starts going out with a woman who does have children and they eventually come to a stage where they'd like to move in together, some father duties will automatically come his way. Added to that the choice of where they might like to live will be severely restricted due to proximity to schools, freedom to go on holidays with just his partner will likely be impacted, even free time at weekends will be taken up.

Obviously this is dependent on other factors like the age of the child and if they're still living at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

glasso wrote: »
    most men probably wouldn't be into socks* given the choice

harsh, but true. also the time limitations etc. probably easier when people have grown up kids or similar situation on both sides.

*some other cnut's kids

Its not often that I'm shocked but calling children "socks" is diabolical :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

I would date a single dad provided he was active in the kid's life and supporting it financially. I'd consider any man who isn't doing that a bit of a scumbag so they would be ruled out.

I'd probably want to be a solid six months into a relationship before we would consider me meeting the kid, and even then probably as "Daddy's friend" for the beginning.

A huge factor would be how he gets on with his ex. if there's drama there I wouldn't want any involvement in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,535 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

A lot of people will say YES of course with great intentions of being nice people, but its a tuff road to go down and without a shadow of a doubt will cause problems at some stage or another, to say it wouldn't is just lying ,

Some people are ok with the hassle but make no mistake there will 100% be hassle,

Unfortunately for the man but rightly so the kids will come first and that can cause hassle with simple every day things ,

Again some guys can cope with the hassle and added pressure and fair play to them ,
    Iv got the upmost respect for men who do it and treat the children as there own its a fantastic thing to see and there are some great guys out there that do it

Maybe I'm to selfish but if I'm honest I feel personally it would never work out for me, So I'd stay away, ( thankfully iv a missus and kids so I'm happy out as is )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I married one, then we had two children.

Never saw the eldest (three at the time) as an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I would and i did. It wasn't an issue.

To be honest i wouldn't have too much time for anyone who thought differently. I wouldn't look down on them per se, each to their own and all that, but it would definitely colour my opinion of them.

I've also never been able to understand people who simply don't want kids. The way i see it, no amount of free time or disposable income could ever come anywhere close to being as amazing as having children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I would and i did. It wasn't an issue.

To be honest i wouldn't have too much time for anyone who thought differently. I wouldn't look down on them per se, each to their own and all that, but it would definitely colour my opinion of them.

Come on, really? You wouldn't have much time for somebody just because they don't want to raise somebody else's children and the complications that can follow?

It wasn't an issue for you and many others, which is fantastic. But I suggest you have a look through the thread below from a few weeks ago and it might show how many feel but can't ever voice their concerns to their loved ones and the hardship the can follow.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057991334

Advertisement