Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Donegal dont tend to push up on opposition kick outs. We'll be going short against Donegal. .

do not go short .....ever again!! :pac:

watched the game with the midwest radio commentary this evening was (watching the golf earlier and had the mayo game recorded ) martin carney was losing his ****e over the short stuff

he is also a much better co commentator when wearing his heart on his sleeve then with rte

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

jr86 wrote: »
    Cillian had a below par showing but in fairness he kicked a great poacher's score near the end in the middle of a crowd of players that no other mayo forward would score. He still has the class. The penalty was an extremely feeble effort though. The half arsed run up peeved me a bit tbh. Go up and bury the thing

D Coen will probably start again but he's now a marked man and it's showing a bit. He kicks super scores but he's still not as sharp as the top forwards in the game, and isn't quite there yet with his decision making. His first instinct is to try and turn his man each time, despite not being blessed with lightning pace, where he'd be far better off laying it off to a guy on the run. Andy showed him exactly how it's done with his second half masterclass - it was a serious improvement tbh

Despite his two points (one a tap over in fairness) I think mcdonagh may well lose out the next day. He coughed up a lot of possession and spurned a fair few chances. I reckon the latter stages of the first half, where mayo should have won the game there and then, will be the most scrutinised in the team reviews. Himself and Boland won't come out looking great in that case

Totally agree.The latter stages of the first half were extremely disappointing,we really could have significant light between ourselves and the Royals in that period.Incredulously we provided oxygen to their belief that we were beatable.

After flying out of the blocks with his 2 points Fionn struggled,taking too much out of ball leading to turnovers and a couple of chances scorned.He'll be under pressure to retain his spot.

He's a bit like Kevin Mc,far better taking a shot on first time as opposed to having too much to think about.

Fergal Boland might think himself a bit unlucky,took two nice scores(one off his ciotog),even if he took 16 steps!One poor wide but he does offer an accurate footpass.

I tend to think the less involved/more anonymous Kevin Mc the greater is hindrance to our level of performance.He links the play so well and dictates the tempo very well.

TBH it's going to take a monumental effort to beat Donegal.We're really up against it.Murphy is one of the greatest ever,Mc Hugh,Mc Brearty,Gallen and the many other stalwarts of the 2012 team and the fresh blood.Patten's kickouts will likely cause us serious issues.

Cant't wait to hear our resident Donegal poster Charlie14's thoughts.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

do not go short .....ever again!! :pac:

watched the game with the midwest radio commentary this evening was (watching the golf earlier and had the mayo game recorded ) martin carney was losing his ****e over the short stuff

he is also a much better co commentator when wearing his heart on his sleeve then with rte

Jesus for a non mayo man to listen to us on mad west radio must be interesting :D

Win is a win. Lots of poor points , many of the same again. But we took our chances in the last quarter.
    Sos and boyler excellent. Think coen did v well in first half.
    James Carr had big impact.

Donegal over the championship have been a lot better but will not like to go to cbar for a winner takes all game.
    Our injury list is killing us. Watching them in front of me after the game we doc, parson, durkan, Higgins and ruane. That's 5 starters. Then Keegan and AOS still carrying knocks.
    We need the time off.
    Parsons was togged with gloves in hand. If we could get half of those lads back for Donegal then we will be strong.

Going to be a cracker.

It was very evident on telly the sarcastic cheering Clarke was getting running up to his kickouts from the other fans in CP today.

The world and his mother know about his deficiencies now.

I actually felt a bit of sympathy for him to be honest.

I did'nt hear a lot of it,although I was a tad absorbed in the contest.

Was it that noticeable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

seligehgit wrote: »
    Totally agree.The latter stages of the first half were extremely disappointing,we really could have significant light between ourselves and the Royals in that period.Incredulously we provided oxygen to their belief that we were beatable.

After flying out of the blocks with his 2 points Fionn struggled,taking too much out of ball leading to turnovers and a couple of chances scorned.He'll be under pressure to retain his spot.

He's a bit like Kevin Mc,far better taking a shot on first time as opposed to having too much to think about.

Fergal Boland might think himself a bit unlucky,took two nice scores(one off his ciotog),even if he took 16 steps!One poor wide but he does offer an accurate footpass.

I tend to think the less involved/more anonymous Kevin Mc the greater is hindrance to our level of performance.He links the play so well and dictates the tempo very well.

TBH it's going to take a monumental effort to beat Donegal.We're really up against it.Murphy is one of the greatest ever,Mc Hugh,Mc Brearty,Gallen and the many other stalwarts of the 2012 team and the fresh blood.Patten's kickouts will likely cause us serious issues.

Cant't wait to hear our resident Donegal poster Charlie14's thoughts.

Gallen had some impact today!

Assume McGee will be back. Very hard to see Coen getting much change there tbh, he's one of the best full backs of his generation and tough as nails. I reckon the wily Andy would give him much more to think about

Well said re mcdonagh and I Agree re Boland - for what it's worth I'd give him another go!

• Advertisement

I did'nt hear a lot of it,although I was a tad absorbed in the contest.

Was it that noticeable?

In the second half for sure. It was during a period of some real howler efforts though. But won't do the confidence much good.

yop wrote: »
    Jesus for a non mayo man to listen to us on mad west radio must be interesting :D

Win is a win. Lots of poor points , many of the same again. But we took our chances in the last quarter.

Donegal over the championship have been a lot better but will not like to go to cbar for a winner takes all game.
    Our injury list is killing us. Watching them in front of me after the game we doc, parson, durkan, Higgins and ruane. That's 5 starters. Then Keegan and AOS still carrying knocks.
    We need the time off.
    Parsons was togged with gloves in hand. If we could get half of those lads back for Donegal then we will be strong.

Going to be a cracker.

Was Higgins injured? Thought he was on the bench

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Talk of semi finals already over on the Donegal thread...sad to think we are not the threat we once were considered to be.

Was Higgins injured? Thought he was on the bench

He did not look injured going off the field at HT.I'd imagine he was rested as opposed to being dropped.

I was disappointed Eoin O Donoghue did not get his start but Chris Barrett as per usual did very little wrong.

He did not look injured going off the field at HT.I'd imagine he was rested as opposed to being dropped.

I was disappointed Eoin O Donoghue did not get his start but Chris Barrett as per usual did very little wrong.

Yeah he was named as a sub on rte so couldn't see how he was injured. When he didn't come on I assumed he was rested aswell.

• Advertisement

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Talk of semi finals already over on the Donegal thread...sad to think we are not the threat we once were considered to be.

It's a dose of realism,they are comfortably the favourites going into the game.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

In the second half for sure. It was during a period of some real howler efforts though. But won't do the confidence much good.

It was the lads on the hill in the tayto good diving come on you boys in green..... At least get an original chant !!! :eek::p

It's basically a quarter too so naturally fans will be enquiring as to potential semi opposition

After today's performances we can't really afford to be sensitive when people write off our chances. One way to prove them wrong and all that..

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Higgins was injured. He didn't tog.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

RedDevil55 wrote: »

Who took his place on the bench I wonder

Fair enough. Must have only togged 10 subs so - I suppose it's no big deal anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Congrats lads. You bounced back nicely and will be fresher than donegal and kerry coming out of that. 2 week break just what the doctor ordered. Best of luck for the year ahead and hopefully you can improve further.

km79 wrote: »

He was listed as sub on rte just before throw in anyway

It was very evident on telly the sarcastic cheering Clarke was getting running up to his kickouts from the other fans in CP today.

I was on the hill and there was definitely a nasty element to the Meath fans around me. Jeering and abusing Clarke, Aidan, Séamie, Cillian and a few others. I didn't know any of the Meath players so couldn't respond!

Ah I know he did not tog,just thought he was rested.He's played some amount of football.

He did not realise he was carrying an injury as he appeared to be injury free ambling off the field at the break.

• Advertisement

I don't think you're allowed make changes to the 26 apart from a goalkeeper getting injured.

So nobody replaced him I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

seligehgit wrote:

And rightly so. We looked brainless at times today. Donegal looked very tuned in in comparison. But this is Mayo and lord knows what surprises/miracles they will (hopefully) throw up in a couple weeks time in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭HBC08

I was on the hill and there was definitely a nasty element to the Meath fans around me. Jeering and abusing Clarke, Aidan, Séamie, Cillian and a few others. I didn't know any of the Meath players so couldn't respond!

Well the Mayo B team and the walking wounded beat them by 9 points.... Let them jeer away!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    And rightly so. We looked brainless at times today. Donegal looked very tuned in in comparison. But this is Mayo and lord knows what surprises/miracles they will (hopefully) throw up in a couple weeks time in Castlebar.

Donegal have somehow turned into the great pretenders
    They are a Michael Murphy injury or black card away from being knocked out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Last time Hennelly played in McHale park this year there was audible groans from the mayo fans everytime he came up to take a free. Don't think he scored any that night. Easily about 5 or 6 scoring chances. And he's not as good a shot stopper.
    He's not as good as Clarke. It shouldn't even be up for discussion at this stage.
    On a side note, Vaughan is also a liability. Aido needs to be in midfield. Not sure why they keep persisting with Vaughan.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lisbon67

Last time Hennelly played in McHale park this year there was audible groans from the mayo fans everytime he came up to take a free. Don't think he scored any that night. Easily about 5 or 6 scoring chances. And he's not as good a shot stopper.
    He's not as good as Clarke. It shouldn't even be up for discussion at this stage.
    On a side note, Vaughan is also a liability. Aido needs to be in midfield. Not sure why they keep persisting with Vaughan.

COC is back now so let the free taker take them

Donegal have somehow turned into the great pretenders
    They are a Michael Murphy injury or black card away from being knocked out

Is he even considered as influential as Ryan McHugh and mcbrearty these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

yop wrote: »

We need the time off.

Going to be a cracker.

mid west is excellent , finnerty is a pretty good commentator and who ever was on today wasn't bad either , the game was uploaded on the site within an hour of the end of the game

local radio is great craic to listen to and pulls no punches , also heard a great nugget today " colm boyle just read that ball like a kindle "

in terms of the match ,it was a bit messy at times but at this stage everyone knows mayo wont be perfect until it matters , to win a game of that nature by nine points with so many errors speaks volumes of how good the side is

donegal are probably the most intelligent side in the country , ryan mchugh is probably the best individual footballer in the country his decision making is excellent , murphy has a knack of winning a free on the 45 and ends up kicking it on the edge of the D , Mcbrearty , ban gallagher ect.. all excellent but who would fancy a one off do or die game vs mayo in mchale , i think ye will get through on both condition and spirit alone

ye have injuries but still producing performances from fionn mcdonagh james carr ,colm boyle all excellent today

and for the record cillian o'connor is just gone 1-05 ahead in the all time scorers list ,
    i am very much of the opinion that dublin will be seriously tested by mayo this year regardless of injuries i reckon ye will do in two weeks time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Is Evan Regan and Ger Cafferkey still on the Mayo panel? neither player on the 26 today i noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

mid west is excellent , finnerty is a pretty good commentator and who ever was on today wasn't bad either , the game was uploaded on the site within an hour of the end of the game

local radio is great craic to listen to and pulls no punches , also heard a great nugget today " colm boyle just read that ball like a kindle "

in terms of the match ,it was a bit messy at times but at this stage everyone knows mayo wont be perfect until it matters , to win a game of that nature by nine points with so many errors speaks volumes of how good the side is

donegal are probably the most intelligent side in the country , ryan mchugh is probably the best individual footballer in the country his decision making is excellent , murphy has a knack of winning a free on the 45 and ends up kicking it on the edge of the D , Mcbrearty , ban gallagher ect.. all excellent but who would fancy a one off do or die game vs mayo in mchale , i think ye will get through on both condition and spirit alone

ye have injuries but still producing performances from fionn mcdonagh james carr ,colm boyle all excellent today

and for the record cillian o'connor is just gone 1-05 ahead in the all time scorers list ,
    i am very much of the opinion that dublin will be seriously tested by mayo this year regardless of injuries i reckon ye will do in two weeks time

I wish I shared this optimism!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement