Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Effectively an All Ireland quarter final in McHale Park in 2 weeks.

Is day Donegal will build a man pyramid and play for the scoreless draw.

Rochford will park the bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

Rockford another yes mam

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

Man

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Lisbon67 wrote: »
    Where’s this idea that Hennelly can’t stop goals come from? Mistake or two in him when the confidence goes but he’s every bit the shot stopper Clarke is and has consistently shown that when he plays
    Absolutely no where near Clarke under the High Ball and is just not at the same level as Clarke bar the Goal Kicks .

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

LOL

I was in good form
    But the last few posts have put me in great from

Silent night, holy night
    All is calm, all is bright
    Round yon Virgin Mother and Child
    Holy Infant so tender and mild
    Sleep in heavenly peace

Fairly sure personal attacks like the one on a member of Horans backroom team (a volunteer like the rest of them ) are against the charter ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,084 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Would also think hennelly has to start next day, even if he concedes a bad goal the game is recoverable whereas losing kick outs isn't recoverable as donegal will win 80% of theirs. Not going to win without some decent primary possession

They need to start someone else instead of Cillian O'Connor too

Two missed penalties in as many weeks, come on the guy is useless, does nothing from play either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I reckon all the focus will be on Donegal, they came away with a draw today. They were no better than Kerry, no worse either.

Kerry have to face Meath, with Meath nothing to play for. Donegal needed the win today to release some of the pressure of facing a trip to CB.

In our favour, we will have 2 weeks rest, are battle hardened after 5 weeks on the road, playing at home and a strong possibility that we will have some of our injured back to play.

The last time we played Donegal in the league Div 1 playoff last year in Ballybofey, it was some cracker. Kevin McLoughlin got a massive point on his right foot to snatch a late draw to save our bacon.

This will be some game in CB. Can't wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Two missed penalties in as many weeks, come on the guy is useless, does nothing from play either.

In general I agree with you.

Only point in his favour is that he's actually scoring from play and playing better than previous years. His injury has helped him recover to become fitter, leaner and hungrier.

The only other credible free taker is Conor Loftus on bench.

McHale Pk sold out already? "No tickets available at this time" message on tickets.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I thought David Clarke outside of his blips on the kickouts was very good today.

Bit harsh there Tod on Cillian,post a very good outing against Galway,I thought he showed well against Kerry,kicked his frees,scored from play,rasped the crossbar with a goal chance and Ryan made a good save to stop the penalty.

Admittedly he's was a bit undercooked today.Missed a couple of frees,definitely one off the ground.His penalty attempt was indicative of a less than stellar outing where he was oft beaten to the ball.

Historically you'd have put your house on Cillian to convert a penalty.In his defence he's had a long layoff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

Cillian is lacking a bit of match sharpness.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,084 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Christ folks, I was joking about Cillian.

Yes he may be lacking a bit of match practice due to a year out of inter county football but we say during that absence how valuable he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭HBC08

km79 wrote: »
    LOL

I was in good form
    But the last few posts have put me in great from

Silent night, holy night
    All is calm, all is bright
    Round yon Virgin Mother and Child
    Holy Infant so tender and mild
    Sleep in heavenly peace

Fairly sure personal attacks like the one on a member of Horans backroom team (a volunteer like the rest of them ) are against the charter ?

And Rochie too! Although he had to have a few goes at typing that.... Pints kicking in no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

McHale Pk sold out already? "No tickets available at this time" message on tickets.ie.

If not it will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭HBC08

seligehgit wrote: »
    If not it will be!
    It was capped at 30k for galway last year so reckon it'll be the same for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

seligehgit wrote: »
    If not it will be!

Similar to Omagh also. Its either a feast or a famine. Empty Croke Park for two double headers as opposed to two full county grounds in a fortnights time.

Selling now on tickets.ie

Not available yet

Just gave the ' in a queue, 23 people ahead of you' and then 'sold out'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Would also think hennelly has to start next day, even if he concedes a bad goal the game is recoverable whereas losing kick outs isn't recoverable as donegal will win 80% of theirs. Not going to win without some decent primary possession
    Donegal dont tend to push up on opposition kick outs. We'll be going short against Donegal.
    Lisbon67 wrote:
    Where’s this idea that Hennelly can’t stop goals come from? Mistake or two in him when the confidence goes but he’s every bit the shot stopper Clarke is and has consistently shown that when he plays
    Hennelly is not a better shot stopper than Clarke. He has better reactions. I couldn't see Hennelly coming out fielding that ball that Clarke won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Staying for the second game today and watching both keepers kickouts worries me. David Clarke has been a wonderful servant to Mayo football but Horan has a serious decision to make for the Donegal game on which number 1 he starts. Donegal will make hay of his kickouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Darren Coen had a good few assists in fairness to him. Apparently he'd a dose of flu last week which could explain the slightly sluggish performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lisbon67

Donegal dont tend to push up on opposition kick outs. We'll be going short against Donegal.

Hennelly is not a better shot stopper than Clarke. He has better reactions. I couldn't see Hennelly coming out fielding that ball that Clarke won.

Didn’t say he was better, or better under a high ball. Said he’s as good as a shot stopper, and he is. There’s never been any issues with his shot stopping and he has made a lot of important saves like Clarke does.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

naughto wrote: »
    No just no ok can we leave it at that.
    On to Donegal but the morning comes first the fear is real Km

:D

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just gave the ' in a queue, 23 people ahead of you' and then 'sold out'.

Same message again for me as earlier: “There are no tickets available at this time. Please check later.” As mayomafia says they are probably not on sale yet (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lisbon67

No he isn't, not in million ****ing years. I've read some nonsense (and posted plenty as well)l, but you must either be from Breaffy or strung out.

When has there ever been an issue with his shot stopping? Same way as Clarke he makes good and important save. Like at the eve of the league final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

The goalkeeper problem is not going anywhere. Restarts were a problem again today. Don't know what the solution is because Clarke's kicking style is not going to change at this stage of his career. Hennelly is of course an option, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in there, but the issue of his nerves could then arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Cillian had a below par showing but in fairness he kicked a great poacher's score near the end in the middle of a crowd of players that no other mayo forward would score. He still has the class. The penalty was an extremely feeble effort though. The half arsed run up peeved me a bit tbh. Go up and bury the thing

D Coen will probably start again but he's now a marked man and it's showing a bit. He kicks super scores but he's still not as sharp as the top forwards in the game, and isn't quite there yet with his decision making. His first instinct is to try and turn his man each time, despite not being blessed with lightning pace, where he'd be far better off laying it off to a guy on the run. Andy showed him exactly how it's done with his second half masterclass - it was a serious improvement tbh

Despite his two points (one a tap over in fairness) I think mcdonagh may well lose out the next day. He coughed up a lot of possession and spurned a fair few chances. I reckon the latter stages of the first half, where mayo should have won the game there and then, will be the most scrutinised in the team reviews. Himself and Boland won't come out looking great in that case

I'd be extremely surprised if they didn't implement it Vs mayo. In fairness the Kerry keeper has a far better long kickout so they didn't today, but like most teams they'll adapt their tactics based on the opposition. They stand to get a few scores from mayo kickouts alone

• Advertisement

PressRun wrote: »
    The goalkeeper problem is not going anywhere. Restarts were a problem again today. Don't know what the solution is because Clarke's kicking style is not going to change at this stage of his career. Hennelly is of course an option, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in there, but the issue of his nerves could then arise.

It was very evident on telly the sarcastic cheering Clarke was getting running up to his kickouts from the other fans in CP today.

The world and his mother know about his deficiencies now.

I actually felt a bit of sympathy for him to be honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement