Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

snowgal wrote: »
    meath to turn it all on it’s head tomorrow, followed by a Kerry Donegal draw!!

would be great to see , and every chance of happening fantastic championship record vs mayo in croke park

play as well for 70 minutes like ye did for 63 against donegal and its game on

while everyone is talking about forwards in the championship i think meath have some of the best backs at the moment , donal keogan , seamus lavin and conor mcgill have been top class for meath all year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Dublin are 25/1 for the 10 in a row for those that mentioned it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

There is not a hope they're as long as 25/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭C__MC

Meath are a coming team it does seem.
    But they are wilting come 55 mins of games
    This is mayo who love being written off and save their best for Croke park.
    They'll beat meath by 5-8 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Bull****e . Imagine putting out half a team in front of the few thousand cork fans that travelled up to support their county .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

C__MC wrote: »
    Meath are a coming team it does seem.
    But they are wilting come 55 mins of games
    This is mayo who love being written off and save their best for Croke park.
    They'll beat meath by 5-8 points.

Aww there’s always someone to rain on the parade!! Sure we’ll see how it goes, I’m going for a Meath win, sure I’d have to :D

jr86 wrote: »

They are.

5 in a row, 1/2
    6 in a row , 13/8
    7 in a row, 10/3
    8 in a row, 10/1
    9 in a row, 18/1
    10 in a row, 25/1

Scroll to the bottom here

https://mobile.boylesports.com/sports/gaa/specials

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

of course and they will need everyone , eoin b gallagher is a huge loss to them tomorrow , if someone like him mchugh murphy or mcbrearty were missing they would be up the creek but are putting together a serious side

the rochford factor could be a problem for dublin also , two narrow all ireland defeats shows he is on to something ;)

Ah I think Mayo really blew it the year there was an AI replay.
    I remember been delighted with the draw.

I can't wait for the Donegal v Kerry game tomorrow (potentially game of the year) it should be a right battle.
    The royals v Mayo should be good too.
    Great value entertainment, that is why it really annoys me when people call the GAA the 'Grab All Association' or moan about the price of AI tickets.

If the weather forecast is right for tomorrow, the games could be really dramatic - slipping, mistakes etc.

You would have a pretty good championship with close unpredictable games..... If Dublin weren't in it.

Looked it up and all I'm seeing is Paddy's were giving odds last year when they only had 3 won - of 12/1 for 10 in a row by 2024

Obviously would be shorter now but looks fairly spot on to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Ah I think Mayo really blew it the year there was an AI replay.
    I remember been delighted with the draw.

c.

i still prefer joe brolly's theory of " were watching supernatural forces at work here folks " ye could have pulled jimmy keaveney , charlie and vinny murphy out of meaghers at half two that day and still got away with it :pac:

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    They are.

5 in a row, 1/2
    6 in a row , 13/8
    7 in a row, 10/3
    8 in a row, 10/1
    9 in a row, 18/1
    10 in a row, 25/1

That's mental

As I just posted Paddy's were quoting 12/1 even before the final last year which is way more realistic - probably 10/1 now

That's mental

As I just posted Paddy's were quoting 12/1 even before the final last year which is way more realistic - probably 10/1 now

Fill your boots at 25/1 for all that free money then. I'm not in the habit of making comments that could be easily disproven on a public forum :pac:

threeball wrote: »
    Dublin didn't get out of second gear in that game. Same happened in Omagh where Dublin didn't need to win but still did on a tightened pitch. Come the final they toyed with Tyrone. None of them will come close to Dublin when it matters.

The gulf between Dublin and Tyrone today was astronomical. Physicality, pace, passing, pressing, scoring, tackling - Dublin are on a different stratosphere

Donnelly was getting praised to high heavens (and rightly) for scores mannion, COC, Rock and KK knock over in their sleep.

Imagine if Donegal beat Roscommon by double figures, this site would explode

When Dublin do it, there's more posts criticising their defending than praising their performance :D

We're just so conditioned to them now, and as sporting romantics our minds tend to conjure up scenarios of a competitive competition - when in reality the sport is well and truly heading for unparalled dominance

They is no doubt they are a great team and play outstanding football but unfortunately there will always be a caveat due to the funding and the unfair advantages surrounding croke park etc. The unparalled dominance will be the death knell of the game. In 10yrs time hurling will be the dominant sport with football a minority sideshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

Fill your boots at 25/1 for all that free money then. I'm not in the habit of making comments that could be easily disproven on a public forum :pac:

I am
    There is no way they win 10 a row

km79 wrote: »

I am

Maybe not but 9 out of 10 I bet is not unlikely

sorry my comment was more in disbelief at the odds, not disputing you - sure you hardly pulled it from the sky. And it's hardly free money - sure there could always be a freak occurrence , scatter of injuries, player strikes etc

I only think 25/1 is way too long given how dominant they are, so I'll go ahead anyway for the craic.

But barring something out of the ordinary I don't see why they won't do it or go extremely close. Have already gotten there in Leinster, and that was deemed unthinkable before. This is scary levels of dominance and I'm just amazed with how good they are, and given the things that Threeball alludes to, how more are not waking up to what may become a frankly farcical and unsettling situation in our sport, with one team in such a state of dominance

I am

I'm not saying they will. I was referring to the other poster telling me I had the odds wrong. No reason to lie about something as insignificant and easily checked as that is what I meant.

sorry my comment was more in disbelief at the odds, not disputing you - sure you hardly pulled it from the sky. And it's hardly free money - sure there could always be a freak occurrence , scatter of injuries, player strikes etc

I only think 25/1 is way too long given how dominant they are, so I'll go ahead anyway for the craic.

But barring something out of the ordinary I don't see why they won't do it or go extremely close. Have already gotten there in Leinster, and that was deemed unthinkable before. This is scary levels of dominance and I'm just amazed with how good they are, and given the things that Threeball alludes to, how more are not waking up to what may become a frankly farcical and unsettling situation in our sport, with one team in such a state of dominance

Well when I went checking the last day, the only thing that stopped me putting a bet on was my head telling me they cant be invincible surely. The 5 in a row is a nailed on certainty but some team will have to come from somewhere in the next 5 years surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Where are these odds? I'm going to put €50 on it if legit.

Excited for the double header tomorrow. I feel a dark blue cloud looming over it though which puts a real dampener on affairs. The feeling of championship magic is long gone.

Well when I went checking the last day, the only thing that stopped me putting a bet on was my head telling me they cant be invincible surely. The 5 in a row is a nailed on certainty but some team will have to come from somewhere in the next 5 years surely.

I think it will be a self inflicted wound when it comes. It will be hard to keep the levels of interest every year when everyone has numerous all Irelands in their pocket. They'll slip up against a hungry team and regroup the following year to reassert their dominance.

• Advertisement

RoyalCelt wrote: »

Excited for the double header tomorrow. I feel a dark blue cloud looming over it though which puts a real dampener on affairs. The feeling of championship magic is long gone.

I linked it above if you wanna have a quick scroll

RoyalCelt wrote: »

I had no interest in today's games but tomorrow is a genuinely exciting double header. Enjoy it as you're in to the last couple of unpredictable games this year. I think from next year attendances are in serious bother. The dubs aren't coming already. What will next year be like with no history being made.

akelly02 wrote: »
    Bull****e . Imagine putting out half a team in front of the few thousand cork fans that travelled up to support their county .

Then announce the team early and don't pull the wool over your fans eyes. If they still want to pay in that's their choice. I'm sure they'd be happier in a semi final vs Donegal/mayo/kerry/meath then the dead rubber they now have.
    They is no doubt they are a great team and play outstanding football but unfortunately there will always be a caveat due to the funding and the unfair advantages surrounding croke park etc. The unparalled dominance will be the death knell of the game. In 10yrs time hurling will be the dominant sport with football a minority sideshow.

To me this is the light at the end of the tunnel. This is the chance for our ancient sport of hurling to finally spread across the land. In 20 years time when Dublin have won the 24 in a row some of these football mad counties like mayo and Meath will have embraced hurling. Maybe that's the GAA's plan all along. Genius! I'd also like to think after the damaging dominance of KK finally lifted and the recovery firmly underway, that if Dublin ever dominate the hurling (they could), that the traditional hurling counties which hold the power, will tell them to go get f*cked. Split into North/South or have fun playing by yourself.

I am

None of us have seen even a 5 in a row before. Plenty of us haven't seen 4 or even 3. We're not conditioned to expect this kind of dominance in the sport. We have mostly grown up with plenty teams in contention and all Irelands being shared between a plethora of sides

What we are now seeing is something novel, that we're expecting it to end any minute. Surely 10 is unfathomable? For no reason other than - this is GAA and that surely someone must come soon and end this. But if you sit back and think... Well why can't it happen? This side has virtually no weaknesses. They are eating teams alive for breakfast. Their only worthy opponent in recent years has now fallen back into the pack. They have won 4 in a row with a massive pool of players. Each year they discover new talents. The conveyor belt is endless. Funding, population etc etc

why can't this be possible? Who can honestly stop it? They're essentially 10 pts better than anyone now, that's a bloody huge gap to make up. Their best players are in their mid 20s - with years left. The older brigade will be simply replaced, just like the greats before them like A Brogan, Flynn, Connolly and B Brogan

Dessie Farrell signs off his 2005 autobiography wondering when will Dublin get their house in order and start winning Leinster consistently again. The thought of them winning all but one until 2019 is ludicrous. But it happened

And just like we never thought we'd see dominance in Leinster like they now have, simply because it's not what we expect to happen , there's no reason to suggest it won't happen in the AI either - when we sit back and examine it objectively

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Good job Seán Boylan wasn't a whinging loser or Meath would never have won anything.

Get your big boy pants on RC.

I had no interest in today's games but tomorrow is a genuinely exciting double header. Enjoy it as you're in to the last couple of unpredictable games this year. I think from next year attendances are in serious bother. The dubs aren't coming already. What will next year be like with no history being made.
    Cheers and you too!

This year as a meath fan I attended meath vs Ofally/carlow/laois/Clare/donegal. I only skipped the Dublin match. I went to all home league matches and 2 aways. Next year hopefully all league home and away but in Leinster I'll only go to a match if it's in navan. So quite possible I'll skip it altogether. I'll go to the qualifier matches and hopefully the super 8's. As a diehard meath fan I find it harder and harder to justify attending the summer matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

None of us have seen even a 5 in a row before. Plenty of us haven't seen 4 or even 3. We're not conditioned to expect this kind of dominance in the sport. We have mostly grown up with plenty teams in contention and all Irelands being shared between a plethora of sides

What we are now seeing is something novel, that we're expecting it to end any minute. Surely 10 is unfathomable? For no reason other than - this is GAA and that surely someone must come soon and end this. But if you sit back and think... Well why can't it happen? This side has virtually no weaknesses. They are eating teams alive for breakfast. Their only worthy opponent in recent years has now fallen back into the pack. They have won 4 in a row with a massive pool of players. Each year they discover new talents. The conveyor belt is endless. Funding, population etc etc

why can't this be possible? Who can honestly stop it? They're essentially 10 pts better than anyone now, that's a bloody huge gap to make up. Their best players are in their mid 20s - with years left. The older brigade will be simply replaced, just like the greats before them like A Brogan, Flynn, Connolly and B Brogan

Dessie Farrell signs off his 2005 autobiography wondering when will Dublin get their house in order and start winning Leinster consistently again. The thought of them winning all but one until 2019 is ludicrous. But it happened

And just like we never thought we'd see dominance in Leinster like they now have, simply because it's not what we expect to happen , there's no reason to suggest it won't happen in the AI either - when we sit back and examine it objectively

5 in a row hasn’t happened yet
    There is a sting in the tail this summer ......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They are.

5 in a row, 1/2
    6 in a row , 13/8
    7 in a row, 10/3
    8 in a row, 10/1
    9 in a row, 18/1
    10 in a row, 25/1

Bookie's Children never go barefoot. While as you say the 5 in a row is nailed, there are 11 of the panel that are over 30 and another two that are 29 years old. after the 5 in a row you will see a few retirements and a loss of hunger in others. What is may be worrying for Dublin longterm is that while it is bringing in a player or two at most every year at some stage there will be a natural clear out. At present on the starting team there is 6ish that are over 30 years and another 2 that are 29 years of age. They are a great team but Galvin has a tendency at present to drift back towards older players over the last 2-3 years to fill important positions. They will win this year but I think they will struggle next year. Like any team it will take a few years to rebuild.

Slava Ukrainii

I think it will be a self inflicted wound when it comes. It will be hard to keep the levels of interest every year when everyone has numerous all Irelands in their pocket. They'll slip up against a hungry team and regroup the following year to reassert their dominance.

Actually very good point

I did ask in my post who could beat them, but the answer may actually lie closer to home - as in themselves!

It's not impossible. But while it'll be a great day for someone else in the sun, as you say - the likely case is dominance reasserted again the year after!

• Advertisement

5 in a row hasn’t happened yet
    There is a sting in the tail this summer ......

We heard the same for 4 in a row. Personally I'd predict 7 in a row before the defeat comes. Semi final with 15000 at the game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement