Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The level of dominance has never been attained before. Perfect or as perfect as we’ve ever seen - that is glorious in of itself. This is the space within the game Dublin were always supposed to occupy, watching it come together is utterly fabulous.

Watching it from the stands I thought Dublin were poor today by their own standards. They left huge gaps in their defence and where all over the place with Roscommon unable to convert goal chances.

Thats how insanely good this Dublin team is!

Roscommon on the other hand were poison. They never had the belief they could get something out of this game. Its a mental thing when they get to Croker that they just fall apart. Galway or Mayo would have put up a better battle as mentally tougher in Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The level of dominance has never been attained before. Perfect or as perfect as we’ve ever seen - that is glorious in of itself. This is the space within the game Dublin were always supposed to occupy, watching it come together is utterly fabulous.

Watching it from the stands I thought Dublin were poor today by their own standards. They left huge gaps in their defence and where all over the place with Roscommon unable to convert goal chances.

Thats how insanely good this Dublin team is!

Second half yes, first half was as good an attacking display from Dublin I have seen in a good while .

Fast incisive and direct

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭threeball

threeball wrote: »
    He still hasn't explained who these top 5/4 are mainly because they don't exist. None are even close to Dublin nor could they hope to be.

i actually did several times if you bothered your arse to look :rolleyes:

You mentioned teams that didn't even make the super 8s last year and another that didn't win 2 of their 3 games as being in this mythical top 5. No one is or has come close to Dublin bar Mayo a few years ago. They've gone miles back. Donegal weren't at the races last year but this year are going to somehow run Dublin close. Galway got to league final last year and the semi final but aren't in the top 5 so your top 5 makes zero sense. There is no one close to Dublin. No one is going to stop their dominance this year, next year or the year after. The only things that will stop Dublins dominance is Dublin or the death of the football championship and I'd bet on the later happening first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

so you think the losers of a first round ulster championship game coming down and outplaying the winners of connacht doesn't speak volumes

Utterly irrelevant stat, they are one of the top 2 in Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Are you surprised leinster counties are dropping off when only meath have won leinster since 2004. I can only speak for Meath but when mcEntee took over over half the players he asked for trials didn't turn up. The longer this goes on the worse it will get and as a meath fan I can't blame them. Smart decision.

They've Hammered the connaught champs by 18 and Cork who ran kerry very close. Stop deluding yourself only kerry have the ability to lose by less then 6.

i have a different view , i think meath are going the right way they have built up a nice side mos of which are well under the age of 24 or 25 , defended excellently against dublin just were let down by a free taker caught in the headlights and some terrible shooting from out the field especially reilly

they are a few years off but going in the right direction , kerry were always going to be made work away to cork , especially with the rivalry and what happened the year before

kerry will be well prepared for dublin , donegal will offer plenty also dublin have yet to play anyone of this nature yet so i hardly call it deluded

• Advertisement

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Are you surprised leinster counties are dropping off when only meath have won leinster since 2004. I can only speak for Meath but when mcEntee took over over half the players he asked for trials didn't turn up. The longer this goes on the worse it will get and as a meath fan I can't blame them. Smart decision.

They've Hammered the connaught champs by 18 and Cork who ran kerry very close. Stop deluding yourself only kerry have the ability to lose by less then 6.

i have a different view , i think meath are going the right way they have built up a nice side mos of which are well under the age of 24 or 25 , defended excellently against dublin just were let down by a free taker caught in the headlights and some terrible shooting from out the field especially reilly

they are a few years off but going in the right direction , kerry were always going to be made work away to cork , especially with the rivalry and what happened the year before

kerry will be well prepared for dublin , donegal will offer plenty also dublin have yet to play anyone of this nature yet so i hardly call it deluded

So cork run Kerry close but lose to Dublin by a cricket score yet Kerry will run Dublin close? You're seriously stretching your optimism on this one.

So cork run Kerry close but lose to Dublin by a cricket score yet Kerry will run Dublin close? You're seriously stretching your optimism on this one.

this isnt horse racing ...;)

this isnt horse racing ...;)

No sh1t, in horse racing they handicap the best horses to even the field. In gaa we give them a head start.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

My Prediction's for the weekend super 8's

Donegal 3-14 Kerry 0-12

Meath 1-13 Mayo 0-13

Dublin 4-15 Roscommon 1-08

Cork 1-10 Tryone 0-10

I thought I was going to be very close with that Cork-Tyrone prediction until Cork started to run out of petrol again.
    The rebels hand thier tactics spot on I thought, slow keep ball, then work the ball a bit and suddenly burst at speed.
    I did not think Tyrone had in in them to go into attack mode.
    They just stood off Cork for ages
    I assumed they were too brainwashed, they managed it all the same.
    It will be interesting to see can this Cork team improved thier fitness and concentration, because I think there is the makings of a good team there.

The Dublin game was incredible when you think it was over as contest in 15 minutes.
    The Ref might as well blown up, so everyone could head to the pub.
    Cox showed what a classy player he was for the Rossies all the same with some great scores.
    I thought the centre half back for Roscommon was good as well.
    But never looked like they had a notion of breaking the Dubs down for a goal though.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

No sh1t, in horse racing they handicap the best horses to even the field. In gaa we give them a head start.

so what because kerry beat cork by 3 points and cork lost to dublin by 13 means kerry will lose to dublin by how much ?

sounds like a foundation maths equation , its not how gaelic football usually works my friend :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

If the Rossies had got Dublin in the first game in the Hyde it would have been way more competitive. The Rossies had nothing to play for in reality. Dublin are a team made for croke park but if they were in the Hyde it wouldnt be so easy.

so what because kerry beat cork by 3 points and cork lost to dublin by 13 means kerry will lose to dublin by how much ?

sounds like a foundation maths equation , its not how gaelic football usually works my friend :rolleyes:

Not usually but give me one example of anyone getting close to Dublin bar Mayo in the last few years. There's no evidence to support what you're suggesting

Not usually but give me one example of anyone getting close to Dublin bar Mayo in the last few years. There's no evidence to support what you're suggesting

donegal last year and they are stronger this year , 5 points i think it was in the end , i think they can close the gap

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

keane2097 wrote: »
    Lads a genuine question - does anyone think the 'Croke Park' round is a better idea than a neutral venue round?

Well Dublins home game is next up in Parnell park

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭C__MC

Bar 2014, Dublin have absolutely dominated under gavin

Definitely in 2013, they where finding their feet under gavin. They won a classic V Kerry and won a scrappy final with 12 players. They laid the foundation in 2013 for what was to come.

2014; they had two goal chances to win that game; a freak result tbf as Dublin have eased past Donegal in 16 and 18.

2015: Dublin collapsed v mayo in the drawn semi before overpowering them in the replay. The final that year wasnt remotely close despite the 0.12 to 0.9 scoreline

2016: arguably gavin's hardest year in the quest for 5.
    Another classic v Kerry but Dublin did cough up two soft goals. It must be remembered in both finals that year Dublin made hard work of mayo, Connolly should have played keep ball tbf, Dublin were much more comfortable in the replay then the scoreline suggests.

2017: crusised into the final, Dublins finest hour beating the blanket against Tyrone. I felt the 2017 final was one that Dublin were really lucky in. But they showed their class

2018: won in 2nd gear

Donegal wont beat Dublin nor will mayo.

Its unlikely Tyrone will or Kerry but they have the best chance

Tyrones running game and the option of mc Shane can hurt Dublin. The Dublin defence looks rather shaky this summer. But Tyrone need harte and Donnelly to play blinders

Kerry have the forwards to hurt Dublin, again I feel Dublins backs look suspect.

But when all is said and done, the 5 in a row is looming as beating Dublin over 75 mins is just to much

If the Rossies had got Dublin in the first game in the Hyde it would have been way more competitive. The Rossies had nothing to play for in reality. Dublin are a team made for croke park but if they were in the Hyde it wouldnt be so easy.

I agree 100%. It would have been very interesting, because Dublin were damn lucky to get the two points in the League game in the Hyde.
    Torrential rain as well that day.
    A nice summers day in Croke Park is a different game altogether.

donegal last year and they are stronger this year , 5 points i think it was in the end , i think they can close the gap

Dublin didn't get out of second gear in that game. Same happened in Omagh where Dublin didn't need to win but still did on a tightened pitch. Come the final they toyed with Tyrone. None of them will come close to Dublin when it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Joekers

Well Dublins home game is next up in Parnell park

Wrong Dublin's away game v Tyrone in Omagh is next.

Dublin decided to forfeit home advantages of Parnell Park last week and played Cork in Croke Park instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Bag packed for tomorrow. Bringing a change of clothes down to the jocks going on the weather forecast.

Have an extra raincoat for my legs too. No bags in stadium a bit annoying unless I borrow an A4 handbag from herself. Might just do that, keep an eye out for me lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I thought the Roscommon Maor Foirne had a great game today.

He had a bib the same colour as the Roscommon team, and when Cluxton was taking kick-outs, he ran back and forth across the pitch marking Dublin players.

• Advertisement

C__MC wrote: »
    Tyrones running game and the option of mc Shane can hurt Dublin. The Dublin defence looks rather shaky this summer. But Tyrone need harte and Donnelly to play blinders

Kerry have the forwards to hurt Dublin, again I feel Dublins backs look suspect.

But when all is said and done, the 5 in a row is looming as beating Dublin over 75 mins is just to much

I have thought this myself on many occasion - just go the simple high ball route.
    But then I thought about it again, the opponents have to get the ball to hurt Dublin in the first place. In most games Dublin own the ball opponents are chasing shadows and are knackered by the Dublin players movement.
    Then they have to contend with Dublin emptying thier bench.

Then throw in the fact that Dublin do not waste chances that final last year was the best team performance I have ever seen in a final.
    How many wides did Dublin hit?

I do not think Tyrone will get the chance to threaten Dublin, they will spend the majority of the match standing in position while Dublin work it around waiting.
    As soon as Dublin get ahead v Tyrone the game will be over.

As for Kerry thier backs are just not up to Kerry standard, they need to be defenders first and attackers second.

What could beat Dublin is a combination of the Kerry and Tyrone teams. The Kerry forwards, a midfielder each from Kerry and Tyrone. Plus the Tyrone backs.
    They could then play the Tyrone 'system' and let Clifford and O'Shea do what they like up top.

But that team has not being invented yet thankfully, although Donegal are getting there - I think.

Dublin didn't get out of second gear in that game. Same happened in Omagh where Dublin didn't need to win but still did on a tightened pitch. Come the final they toyed with Tyrone. None of them will come close to Dublin when it matters.

ok personally i think they will get a test or two in the semi and finals , the teams coming out of the other group will be stronger then say galway last year and monaghan the year before in the semi finals

i imagine i will get hounded if dublin win the all ireland pulling up but i dont think it will be as easy as people say , i am sure the same debates were going on up and down the country 37 years ago too re kerry

so who knows ,

ok personally i think they will get a test or two in the semi and finals , the teams coming out of the other group will be stronger then say galway last year and monaghan the year before in the semi finals

i imagine i will get hounded if dublin win the all ireland pulling up but i dont think it will be as easy as people say , i am sure the same debates were going on up and down the country 37 years ago too re kerry

so who knows ,

Donegal could have the beating of Dublin they have the forwards now and change system when it suits.
    They need everything to go right for them on the day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A few years ago before the 2017 final I did some analysis on "how late in a game were Dublin either level or behind that season"
    I posted it on some thread at the time.

If I recall the latest was late in the first half.

That's how dominant Dublin are

Teams like Donegal might lose by 5 in the end and it might be seen as challenging Dublin in some way, but at what point did Dublin go and stay ahead, it's usually long long before the final whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

blanch152 wrote: »
    I thought the Roscommon Maor Foirne had a great game today.

He had a bib the same colour as the Roscommon team, and when Cluxton was taking kick-outs, he ran back and forth across the pitch marking Dublin players.

Thought that was weird myself, seemed like he spent about 60 minutes on the pitch, running from player to player. There were a couple of Dublin frees too within range and he was hovering up and down near Rock, eyeballing him.

Donegal could have the beating of Dublin they have the forwards now and change system when it suits.
    They need everything to go right for them on the day though.

of course and they will need everyone , eoin b gallagher is a huge loss to them tomorrow , if someone like him mchugh murphy or mcbrearty were missing they would be up the creek but are putting together a serious side

the rochford factor could be a problem for dublin also , two narrow all ireland defeats shows he is on to something ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

meath to turn it all on it’s head tomorrow, followed by a Kerry Donegal draw!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Haha would ya stop, Dublin would eat Roscommon alive if it was played on feckin Mars, never mind Hyde Park

Nothing against Roscommon, who I was cheering on today and are deserved Connacht champions but they are never going to be in a position to compete with this juggernaut

When on earth are people going to wake up to the actual dominance we are looking at? This is bundesliga, SPL, Lewis Hamilton scale of dominance.

Haha Dublin could win the final by 20 points and you'll have plenty not giving them credit. "I'll tell ya if the championship was played on Christmas Day in rural Ireland, they wouldn't win so easy" :)

of course and they will need everyone , eoin b gallagher is a huge loss to them tomorrow , if someone like him mchugh murphy or mcbrearty were missing they would be up the creek but are putting together a serious side

the rochford factor could be a problem for dublin also , two narrow all ireland defeats shows he is on to something ;)

Ah I think Mayo really blew it the year there was an AI replay.
    I remember been delighted with the draw.

I can't wait for the Donegal v Kerry game tomorrow (potentially game of the year) it should be a right battle.
    The royals v Mayo should be good too.
    Great value entertainment, that is why it really annoys me when people call the GAA the 'Grab All Association' or moan about the price of AI tickets.

If the weather forecast is right for tomorrow, the games could be really dramatic - slipping, mistakes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

The gulf between Dublin and Tyrone today was astronomical. Physicality, pace, passing, pressing, scoring, tackling - Dublin are on a different stratosphere

Donnelly was getting praised to high heavens (and rightly) for scores mannion, COC, Rock and KK knock over in their sleep.

Imagine if Donegal beat Roscommon by double figures, this site would explode

When Dublin do it, there's more posts criticising their defending than praising their performance :D

We're just so conditioned to them now, and as sporting romantics our minds tend to conjure up scenarios of a competitive competition - when in reality the sport is well and truly heading for unparalled dominance

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement