Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

km79 wrote: »
    5 in a row hasn’t happened yet
    There is a sting in the tail this summer ......

God bless your optimism KM. And a great mayo supporter

However - imo

A guy not named Federer, djokovic, Nadal winning the US Open
    Hamilton not winning the drivers championship
    Neither City or Liverpool winning the league
    Celtic not winning the SPL

I would rate any of these things happening as about as likely as Dublin not winning sam this year

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bookie's Children never go barefoot. While as you say the 5 in a row is nailed, there are 11 of the panel that are over 30 and another two that are 29 years old. after the 5 in a row you will see a few retirements and a loss of hunger in others. What is may be worrying for Dublin longterm is that while it is bringing in a player or two at most every year at some stage there will be a natural clear out. At present on the starting team there is 6ish that are over 30 years and another 2 that are 29 years of age. They are a great team but Galvin has a tendency at present to drift back towards older players over the last 2-3 years to fill important positions. They will win this year but I think they will struggle next year. Like any team it will take a few years to rebuild.

To a certain extent I agree.

Cluxton, Fitzsimons, McMahon, Daly, O'Sullivan, O'Carroll, Brogan, MacAuley, O'Gara, McManamon, Andrews, Connolly - 12 players over 30, and most may go this year or next year.

It won't affect the first fifteen too much.

Comerford, Murchan, Byrne, Cooper, McCaffrey, McCarthy, Lowndes, Fenton, Howard, Scully, Kilkenny, Costello, Rock, Mannion, O'Callaghan is still a 15 that ranks right up there. However, there are gaps on the bench because Gavin has kept on the older guard, and what is most worrying is the older guard may deserve to have been kept on. Are the likes of Basquel, Mullally, McHugh and the rest going to kick on and take those bench places?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    akelly02 wrote: »
    Bull****e . Imagine putting out half a team in front of the few thousand cork fans that travelled up to support their county .

Then announce the team early and don't pull the wool over your fans eyes. If they still want to pay in that's their choice. I'm sure they'd be happier in a semi final vs Donegal/mayo/kerry/meath then the dead rubber they now have.
    threeball wrote: »
    They is no doubt they are a great team and play outstanding football but unfortunately there will always be a caveat due to the funding and the unfair advantages surrounding croke park etc. The unparalled dominance will be the death knell of the game. In 10yrs time hurling will be the dominant sport with football a minority sideshow.

To me this is the light at the end of the tunnel. This is the chance for our ancient sport of hurling to finally spread across the land. In 20 years time when Dublin have won the 24 in a row some of these football mad counties like mayo and Meath will have embraced hurling. Maybe that's the GAA's plan all along. Genius! I'd also like to think after the damaging dominance of KK finally lifted and the recovery firmly underway, that if Dublin ever dominate the hurling (they could), that the traditional hurling counties which hold the power, will tell them to go get f*cked. Split into North/South or have fun playing by yourself.

Hurling will be the big winner and Dublin can invest all they like in that but it won't make a difference. Unless you're invested in the game from 10 or 12yrs old it's already too late. No amount of money or conditioning will change that.
    Even KK in their prime were not as dominant as Dublin are now. There was always a chance they'd get caught and nearly did many times, usually pulling away with late blitzes.

Be great to see hurling spread. Just like brexit is the best chance of a united Ireland, Dublin are the best chance of spreading hurling.

Hurling will be the big winner and Dublin can invest all they like in that but it won't make a difference. Unless you're invested in the game from 10 or 12yrs old it's already too late. No amount of money or conditioning will change that.
    Even KK in their prime were not as dominant as Dublin are now. There was always a chance they'd get caught and nearly did many times, usually pulling away with late blitzes.

Be great to see hurling spread. Just like brexit is the best chance of a united Ireland, Dublin are the best chance of spreading hurling.

Statistically, Kilkenny were more dominant.

Five-in-a-row is a game-changer when talking about the greatest ever GAA team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

blanch152 wrote: »
    To a certain extent I agree.

Cluxton, Fitzsimons, McMahon, Daly, O'Sullivan, O'Carroll, Brogan, MacAuley, O'Gara, McManamon, Andrews, Connolly - 12 players over 30, and most may go this year or next year.

It won't affect the first fifteen too much.

Comerford, Murchan, Byrne, Cooper, McCaffrey, McCarthy, Lowndes, Fenton, Howard, Scully, Kilkenny, Costello, Rock, Mannion, O'Callaghan is still a 15 that ranks right up there. However, there are gaps on the bench because Gavin has kept on the older guard, and what is most worrying is the older guard may deserve to have been kept on. Are the likes of Basquel, Mullally, McHugh and the rest going to kick on and take those bench places?

You forgot the Smalls there

In fairness I could see ROC playing years yet, he's only 30 this year. And MDMA, Andrews, COS, Philly Mac will go on another few years I reckon - unless they're dropped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

Statistically, Kilkenny were more dominant.

Five-in-a-row is a game-changer when talking about the greatest ever GAA team.

Lies, Damn lies and statistics

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

keane2097 wrote: »
    Lads a genuine question - does anyone think the 'Croke Park' round is a better idea than a neutral venue round?

* Insert Fry gif *

Being completely serious mon frere, no.

The Croker QFs only ever worked as they were one offs. They can't possibly work in this format.

All things being equal ourselves and yourselves will be in the same group next year and we'll be playing against each other in the "Croke Park Round". Even that doesn't get the motor running like a one off QF or SF would.

It's a shambles.

The Super 8 concept is manna for the likes of Dublin and Kerry knowing full well we'll ALWAYS win 2 out of 3 matches.

(Ignoring yer anomaly last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Nothing. Do you?

Two extra counties playing though. It's another terrible attendance from the capital. Long gone are the days where most Dub fans would be bothered turning up. Can't blame them

Ah Jack_Goff you should go back to Hoganstand ,your negativity is depressing
    :D

The report is in and we've decided not enough non nationals are playing in Tallaght so we're giving Dublin an extra 5 million on a 3 year trial. If we don't see results we'll up it to 10.

Ah jack get a grip lad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

dunnerc wrote: »
    Ah Jack_Goff you should go back to Hoganstand ,your negativity is depressing
    :D

When Mayo knock fcuk outta them tomorrow he'll be even more depressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

If only Rossies were given a 20 point head start. So many ifs lol

I think Dublin supporters deep down are bored of this craic too. You won't hear them admit it though, it will be the usual 'team for the ages', 'Kilkenny in da hurling' etc etc.

If you think the interest and attendances are diminishing now, give it another couple of years. Anto and Mary won't even bother going to The Hill, they'll be watching it on the box and turning off after fifteen minutes like the rest of the country.

Nope I think you havnt a clue about Dublin supporters , we have suffered terrible beatings by Kerry , Tyrone, Donegal , Armagh , Meath , Mayo ,Cork etc and trust me , we are loving this golden generation of Dublin dominance. :D

Dunno wft is stopping Gavin putting Brogan on here.

To many ahead of Bernard in the pecking order , Jim doesn't do sentiment.

Nope I think you havnt a clue about Dublin supporters , we have suffered terrible beatings by Kerry , Tyrone, Donegal , Armagh , Meath , Mayo ,Cork etc and trust me , we are loving this golden generation of Dublin dominance. :D

Absolutely, and you have to remember that we heard for years and years that Kerry only travelled for finals.

If there are Dubs doing the same now, fair play to them.

RMAOK wrote: »
    Refs normally do that when games become lobsided like this one

That's wrong though surely ? rules are rules and they should be applied regardless of the score .

Downlinz wrote: »
    The beauty of sport is from competition and tactics from two closely matched forces under equal conditions. There's nothing to appreciate from professionally conditioned athletes on their home turf running rings around amateurs in front of a half empty uninterested crowd.
    It's really sad it's come to this when you think of how exciting and important Gaelic football used to feel.

Really ? Kerry have 81 Munster Titles and 37 All Ireland Titles , weres the competition in Munster ? and the All Ireland series ? total dominance by Kerry
    How come you don't find this sad ? Oh wait ……...

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Anything to be said for a mercy rule? 25 more minutes of this!

Did you feel the same in 2008 Dubs v Tyrone or 2009 Dubs v Kerry ? I think not .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Absolutely, and you have to remember that we heard for years and years that Kerry only travelled for finals.

If there are Dubs doing the same now, fair play to them.

Ya because its exactly the same:rolleyes:

salmocab wrote: »
    Think you might need a history lesson.

Think he needs a lot more than a history lesson;)

C__MC wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to Tyrone and Dublin in omagh
    Tyrones running game can hurt the dubs who's defence looks suspect so far this year.

Possibly but im nearly sure this has been said before .

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    In fairness he meant top 3 or 4 against Dublin. If Kerry, Tyrone and Donegal all played Dublin together then 45 vs 15 might even things up a bit.

Nonsense;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Possibly but im
    nearly sure this has been said before .

The same Tyrone team who struggled against Roscommon last week and Cork today.

I'd personally have been GAA mad all my life. The last few years I've been attending far less football matches and more from other sports like soccer, rugby and hurling.

I remember when KK hammered Limerick and Waterford I felt a dark shadow over the championship. That was thankfully lifted but I feel a much bigger shadow over football now. At least those hurling matches with KK were much more exciting to watch.

Ah that's terrible Jack , you should continue attending more soccer rugby and hurling so , you will feel a whole lot better.:D

If the Rossies had got Dublin in the first game in the Hyde it would have been way more competitive. The Rossies had nothing to play for in reality. Dublin are a team made for croke park but if they were in the Hyde it wouldnt be so easy.

Lad Dubs would have walked it in Hyde sorry .

Would you go away and shîte.

Mate you are to polite :D

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Would kerry prefer to get knocked out in the semi final then be the team Dublin beat in the final for 5 in a row? A lot of kerry guys retired last year looked like they didnt want to be remembered in kerry as the guy on the kerry panal who couldnt stop dublins 5 in a row.

Forget 5 in a row Dublin will probably go on to do the 10 in a row in 2024. And remember the surprise win that donegal got over them without that they would be on 7 or 8 in a row already. It’s an unfair competition now it’s basically 1 county vs the rest.

Dry your eyes lad :D

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Lad Dubs would have walked it in Hyde sorry .

No they wouldnt Dublin are suited to croke park. Look at what mayo did to the rossies in croke park then lost to them in a normal provincial ground.

If you scrap them then there will be 3 less cups for teams to play for. At least counties outside leinster have that.

This mystical top 5 would get nowhere near Dublin. Tyrone and Donegal would do well to lose by 8. Mayo wouldn't get within 10. That leaves kerry. They'd do well to get within 5.

nonsense post , based on what exactly ??

• Advertisement

You would have a pretty good championship with close unpredictable games..... If Dublin weren't in it.

But they are lol...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement