Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dunnerc

No they wouldnt Dublin are suited to croke park. Look at what mayo did to the rossies in croke park then lost to them in a normal provincial ground.

If you say so -:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

No they wouldnt Dublin are suited to croke park. Look at what mayo did to the rossies in croke park then lost to them in a normal provincial ground.

Dublin beat them in the Hyde earlier this year.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Dublin beat them in the Hyde earlier this year.

By how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

By how much?

Cant recall however google will tell you if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭blowitupref

One mis-match and one competitive contest last night in Croke park in front a small double header attendance.

I like everyone else expected Dublin to win but i thought Roscommon would give a better account of themselves and i feel the 18 point margin in the end highlighted that their S&C/fitness still needs major improvement before they can handle 2 big games in 7 days against the top 4 teams. The Dubs were in a ruthless mood and even in the last ten minutes they outscored Roscommon 0-7 to a point. The Dubs remain the best and team to beat and its hard to make a case for any team to beat them this summer.

Cork did much better than i expected but they are out of the championship now and will be left to rue letting a 7 point lead slip and where the game was there to be won for them but after defending well 1st half they seemed to lose their way maybe lack of fitness to keep it going for a full 70 minutes? Donnelly, P Harte, C McShane three of Tyrone's best players all stood up when needed in that 2nd half and Tyrone will fancy their chances of reaching back to back AI finals now.

The group now left with two dead rubbers and i really think its time to go back to knock out football for the quarter final stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

C__MC wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to Tyrone and Dublin in omagh
    Tyrones running game can hurt the dubs who's defence looks suspect so far this year.
    Are you into shadow boxing?

Its a dead rubber game where both sides won't care who finish top of the group and where both will be resting the majority of their semi final starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

so you think the losers of a first round ulster championship game coming down and outplaying the winners of connacht doesn't speak volumes

Its what Tyrone do best. Two of their 3 All Ireland's won through the back door. They were knocked out of Ulster early by Monaghan last year ended up beating the Ulster champions (Donegal) by 7 points in Ballybofey and gained revenge in AI semi final v Monaghan. Roscommon lost by 4 points last week by the way not so much "outplayed" as they were by Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

dunnerc wrote: »
    That's wrong though surely ? rules are rules and they should be applied regardless of the score .

Or the time on the clock, like a certain Mr Kennelly in 2009...

Shît happens.

dunnerc wrote: »
    Mate you are to polite :D

Wait til you see me when "They" are playing Donegal amárach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

threeball wrote: »
    Hurling will be the big winner and Dublin can invest all they like in that but it won't make a difference. Unless you're invested in the game from 10 or 12yrs old it's already too late. No amount of money or conditioning will change that.
    Even KK in their prime were not as dominant as Dublin are now. There was always a chance they'd get caught and nearly did many times, usually pulling away with late blitzes.

Be great to see hurling spread. Just like brexit is the best chance of a united Ireland, Dublin are the best chance of spreading hurling.

Wishful thinking to be honest, I can't see hurling ever spreading beyond it's current base, other than maybe in Dublin where they can throw a few million at it to develop it from young kids upwards.

There's a space for another sport to take hold in much of rural Ireland alright, but it will be rugby that will fill the void. Successful, identifiable provincial structure, professional setup, international competition for the best players. With the GAA seemingly doing everything it can to alienate its traditional base on the football side it's only a matter of time.

• Advertisement

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Are you surprised leinster counties are dropping off when only meath have won leinster since 2004. I can only speak for Meath but when mcEntee took over over half the players he asked for trials didn't turn up. The longer this goes on the worse it will get and as a meath fan I can't blame them. Smart decision.

They've Hammered the connaught champs by 18 and Cork who ran kerry very close. Stop deluding yourself only kerry have the ability to lose by less then 6.

Yes, Meath "won" in 2010.

#neverforget

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Looking forward to the two games today.

Mayo have to perform better than 1st day out. They looked disinterested. Meath under McEntee have looked far better than of previous years and showed against Dublin that their defence is shaping up well. Hard on to call, a Mayo team on the wane v a Meath team on the up.

The 2nd match will hopefully be a cracker. Donegal looking good under Bonar and Rochford's influence has helped. Kerry looked strong in the 1st round, but i feel they are reliant on Clifford, although I thought Moran was MOM. If they can stop good ball going into Clifford and have a man actually mark him they can be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,280 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Would kerry prefer to get knocked out in the semi final then be the team Dublin beat in the final for 5 in a row? A lot of kerry guys retired last year looked like they didnt want to be remembered in kerry as the guy on the kerry panal who couldnt stop dublins 5 in a row.

Keane gave some players a chance to walk out and retire most took the chance those taht did not were not invited onto the panel this year. Moat lads that retired last year were not good enough to be there last year and maybe the year before. Killain young is only make the match day panel and not coming on. If Jack Barry and Tommy walsh were available he might not even make the match day panel. Kerry are in a rebuilding phase at present. It will take them another 12-18 months to come fully through and Keane is building for the longterm. They have'nt gone away....

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Keane gave some players a chance to walk out and retire most took the chance those taht did not were not invited onto the panel this year. Moat lads that retired last year were not good enough to be there last year and maybe the year before. Killain young is only make the match day panel and not coming on. If Jack Barry and Tommy walsh were available he might not even make the match day panel. Kerry are in a rebuilding phase at present. It will take them another 12-18 months to come fully through and Keane is building for the longterm. They have'nt gone away....

I’d rather bring bomber back for a third stint, tent size jersey and all, than have jack Barry on the match day panel.

Keane came in with a new broom approach but some of the lads he has had in with the panel has been baffling- ditto ones that have been left out.

I was happy with his tactical switches last week but I am loath to read too much into it as I just can’t get over how poor mayo were.

Today is a decent test and will tell a lot so here’s hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭doc_17

Roscommon and Cork should be given the opportunity to play their match next weekend. What a waste of time that’s gonna be.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Roscommon and Cork should be given the opportunity to play their match next weekend. What a waste of time that’s gonna be.

We get it- the competition is a waste of time because the 2 aforementioned teams couldn’t get a result in their first 2 games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

doc_17 wrote: »

I'd hope the teams are given a good night out next weekend and aren't asked to train in the lead up bar maybe a token session next week. They deserve a break before their clubs are no doubt expecting them back training.

jr86 wrote: »
    I'd hope the teams are given a good night out next weekend and aren't asked to train in the lead up bar maybe a token session next week. They deserve a break before their clubs are no doubt expecting them back training.

Surely an intercounty training session will be of a better standard than a club one so if they do a good intercounty training session- they will be better equipped to perform for their club

Surely an intercounty training session will be of a better standard than a club one so if they do a good intercounty training session- they will be better equipped to perform for their club

I mean that the Ros/Cork clubs will be expecting them back soon after the Cork/Ros match itself, not in the lead up. Club championships will all be resuming in August

But with the game being rendered completely meaningless it would be nice to see the players get a bit of a break in this 2 weeks, before going back to club duty is what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 18,280 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Recovery session today/tomorrow, easy sesdion this week match next weekend recovery 1-2 days later. It's not August yet plenty of time to play off County championship's over the next 20-12 weeks

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I hope the only "recovery" they're doing today is sleeping off a hangover

Surely they were allowed go out and bladdered last night, especially Roscommon after a very positive season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

jr86 wrote: »
    I hope the only "recovery" they're doing today is sleeping off a hangover

Surely they were allowed go out and bladdered last night, especially Roscommon after a very positive season.

Indeed as a Mayo man I feel for Roscommon,they won Connacht the hard way.Played four division one teams in a row finishing up with a harsh lesson yesterday.

They have a lot of quality up front.

But lads we cant call a competition a farce because 2 of the teams couldnt win one of their first 2 matches.

If anything it gave Roscommon a second chance after losing their first game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Roscommon should just concede that game to Cork and give the 2 fingers to the GAA top brass

But lads we cant call a competition a farce because 2 of the teams couldnt win one of their first 2 matches.

If anything it gave Roscommon a second chance after losing their first game

Mayo have already lost twice
    Cork have lost 3 games

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Cant recall however google will tell you if your interested.

A proper Dub would know it was 5 points

Mayo have already lost twice
    Cork have lost 3 games

But thats part of the system and an anomaly that pops up in other sport also.

Like everyone wants changes to the system but then complain about any changes- give these super 8's a chance to bed in and maybe evolve a little.

If I was to make an immediate change then I would drop the Croke Park round and make it a neutral round with the other rounds being home games for the provincial champs.

This would mean that provincial winners have 2 home games

Straight knock out

No game played in Croke Park until the final or semi

What other sport has a round robin two thirds of the way through the competition?

Straight knock out

No game played in Croke Park until the final or semi

What other sport has a round robin two thirds of the way through the competition?

But then you end up with a scenario like Kerry were in before-they got to a semi final by beating Clare, Tipp & Clare again.

Not one single decent game- this is trying to rectify that.
    I know its an attempt to plaster over the issues within the provincial championships and I agree that they should be scrapped (if thats what you are getting at) but change is a slow process

• Advertisement

But then you end up with a scenario like Kerry were in before-they got to a semi final by beating Clare, Tipp & Clare again.

Not one single decent game- this is trying to rectify that.
    I know its an attempt to plaster over the issues within the provincial championships and I agree that they should be scrapped (if thats what you are getting at) but change is a slow process
    Ha! Who had the Dubs to play? Louth and kildare.
    Clare are better than both

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement