Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Ha! Who had the Dubs to play? Louth and kildare.
    Clare are better than both

But sure you are advocating going back to that system! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Don't think you can blame jim gavin

I'd like to see how he'd get on with e.g. Roscommon or Longford. Or even Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

Don't think you can blame jim gavin

I'd like to see how he'd get on with e.g. Roscommon or Longford. Or even Kildare

I think he's struggle as I don't see him as a great motivator. He's great in a professional set up where he gets to be very analytical, has a large support staff to oversee and has the threat of a genuinely deep bench to keep players honest. Go to any of the others and you have none of those luxuries. It's a completely different ball game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭doc_17

The super 8s have been very good at only 1 thing.....extracting money from the diehard fans who hate the thought of missing any matches. That’s it. Nothing else. Roscommon and Cork actually shouldn’t even bother playing that match: or maybe use it a trial match for 16-30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Open draw, straight knockout is one way forward as the minnows can cause an upset and the best team is not guaranteed to win , the present setup favours the strongest teams with a second chance , the super 8s are a farce , it would be better to bite the bullet and run the league in the summer than what we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,173 ✭✭✭✭km79

Open draw, straight knockout is one way forward as the minnows can cause an upset and the best team is not guaranteed to win , the present setup favours the strongest teams with a second chance , the super 8s are a farce , it would be better to bite the bullet and run the league in the summer than what we have.

I enjoy the league a lot
    I’d love to make it even more prestigious and put the championship straight back to knockout

The only people benefitting from the super 8s are the money men
    It’s a drain on supporters and entertainment value
    But more so from a players pov
    It must be so hard to be working full time at this time of year

They will surely be scrapped ........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

A proper Dub would know it was 5 points

Its so hard to keep track with all these wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭doc_17

km79 wrote: »

I enjoy the league a lot
    I’d love to make it even more prestigious and put the championship straight back to knockout

See, I don’t even think they are making much at all. Last year the Croke Park “neutral” games involving Dublin, Donegal, Tyrone and Roscommon had 55,000. Nowhere near that yesterday.

doc_17 wrote: »
    km79 wrote: »

I enjoy the league a lot

See, I don’t even think they are making much at all. Last year the Croke Park “neutral” games involving Dublin, Donegal, Tyrone and Roscommon had 55,000. Nowhere near that yesterday.

The plan was to make more money but it backfired spectacularly. I'm delighted it did. Next year will be a complete write off. Reap what you sow and all that.

It does cost too much. Last week against Cork €50 for tickets plus €50 for fuel.
    Yesterday it was €60 for tickets and €50 for fuel.
    €10'for programmes.
    €11.80 for tolls.
    All of this excludes the obligatory burgers on the way home, the sandwiches etc.

Thats before the trip to Tyrone in two weeks time.

I'd prefer the open draw, neutral ground somewhere in the midlands and winner takes all, move onto the semis.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

The rugby lads must be laughing at what the GAA are doing to football.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Fann Linn wrote: »
    It does cost too much. Last week against Cork €50 for tickets plus €50 for fuel.
    Yesterday it was €60 for tickets and €50 for fuel.
    €10'for programmes.
    €11.80 for tolls.
    All of this excludes the obligatory burgers on the way home, the sandwiches etc.

Thats before the trip to Tyrone in two weeks time.

I'd prefer the open draw, neutral ground somewhere in the midlands and winner takes all, move onto the semis.

Pity the GAA dont have a proper ground in Athlone to host neutral games.

Pity the GAA dont have a proper ground in Athlone to host neutral games.

Tullamore, Portlaoise, Nowlan Park, Limerick, Clones, there's plenty of grounds around thevcountry that could provide a varied geographical mix.

Rubbing their hands together. Couldn't have worked out better. Irish rugby incredibly strong atm, the GAA in self destruct mode.

The amount of players and fans that will switch codes in the coming years will be colossal. The natural progression for anyone involved in gaa will be generally to gravitate towards rugby rather than soccer due to having the physical aspect of the game as well as high quality teams to support in this country.

This is the problem , I know its a cliché but it doesn't really look like football any more , its not an attractive game and this does not generate interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I find it truly amazing how one poster dissapears and all of a sudden we have a new poster in the mix. Go for it lad fill your boots:P

This is the problem , I know its a cliché but it doesn't really look like football any more , its not an attractive game and this does not generate interest.

Did you not watch Dublin with the great use of the long kick pass into O'Callaghan yesterday? Football at its finest.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Did you not watch Dublin with the great use of the long kick pass into O'Callaghan yesterday? Football at its finest.

A lot of those criticising Dublin don't watch it anyway. I think it was threeball that actually said that.

A bit like my youngest daughter who used to say she didn't like a certain veg even though she had never tried it.

My comment was a generalisation , Dublin wont be doing that against Tyrone or any top 4 team , a rule change is imperative.

Fann Linn wrote: »

A lot of those criticising Dublin don't watch it anyway. I think it was threeball that actually said that.

A bit like my youngest daughter who used to say she didn't like a certain veg even though she had never tried it.

When did I criticise Dublins football genius? I actually said you can't fault their football but I don't watch their games because they're boring foregone conclusions.

• Advertisement

My comment was a generalisation , Dublin wont be doing that against Tyrone or any top 4 team , a rule change is imperative.

What rule change might that be? You said football was dead, i pointed out Dublin were using the long kick pass into O'Callaghan and you cite a rule change. At least stick to your point if you are going to reply.

Even the mayo fans aren't bothering to travel to this Croke Park farce.

threeball wrote: »

Who do we blame on that?

What rule change might that be? You said football was dead, i pointed out Dublin were using the long kick pass into O'Callaghan and you cite a rule change. At least stick to your point if you are going to reply.

Dublin play watchable football when it suits ,but its fairly obvious from attendances that the game is losing popularity , ban the handpass or at least enforce it , make players kick the ball ;any half decent kickpass and the commentators and pundits rave about it ,give the people what they want.

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭Karma King

That's a red card all day long!

We have started like last week. Poor passing & shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

threeball wrote: »

Why is today a farce?

It's a must win game for them

Was that meath player not even booked ???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Should that foul on Boyle not have resulted in a free from where the ball landed? He was fouled after he kicked the ball away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

threeball wrote:
    What are you basing that on.

The upper tiers are open today. Clearly a bigger crowd than yesterday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement