Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda shoots dog in Longford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

pablo128 wrote: »
    Traveller kids were forever going around Fettercairn with sponsorship forms printed out looking for money. And I'm talking little children who couldn't possibly be able to use a printer. So who was sending them out?

I'm guessing it wasn't the f*ckin ISPCA anyway
    ¦
    ¦
    V
    tuxy wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Did they find the mutt?

Did I miss the update or are GSOC taking their time with this investigation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

What's this all about? I've seen the video that the woman took of the incident but it's not very clear. Not sure if I can post the video here so I'll erron the side of caution & not post it. Was the garda justified? He looks like he was alone or was it a negligent discharge? Hard to say either way.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/investigation-underway-after-dog-shot-dead-in-longford-man-injured-in-incident-889607.html

The gardai have shot lots of dogs.

The gardai have shot lots of dogs.

Yes but in this case a man claims to have been hit by the bullet too. You would think a GSOC investigation would follow such claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

You shot my paw!

Yes but in this case a man claims to have been hit by the bullet too. You would think a GSOC investigation would follow such claims.

The garda have no idea how to use guns you will find if you read the newspapers. Terrible shots.

A dog or a child are innocents.

You have to be wary of what else is around you when you are armed.

A bullet can hit its target ONLY. Otherwise its murder or animal abuse.

• Advertisement

You have to be wary of what else is around you when you are armed.

How does that explain the lack of GSOC report on this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Not really, it would have to kill them and even then it would be manslaughter. Shooting a dog that is attacking you isn't animal abuse. Setting a dog on an armed Garda is pretty abusive though with pretty much one outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

A dog is not an innocent when being used as a weapon.

A bullet can ricochet and an unintended consequence happen as was the case here.

A bullet can ricochet and an unintended consequence happen as was the case here.

I believe this is true however you have to take into account that some people present including the person shot in the foot said there was no dog. No body of a dog was recovered.

tuxy wrote:
    I believe this is true however you have to take into account that some people present including the person shot in the foot said there was no dog. No body of a dog was recovered.

If the person (and his wife ) who was hit by the ricochet in the foot told me tomorrow was Wednesday I would consult a calendar. I watched the video there was a dog, blood from an animal was also found on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The garda have no idea how to use guns you will find if you read the newspapers. Terrible shots.

If only you were on hand to show them how to shoot correctly.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Did I miss the update or are GSOC taking their time with this investigation?
    I'm sure it is top of their "to do" list

And you are the expert on the use of water pistols

If the person (and his wife ) who was hit by the ricochet in the foot told me tomorrow was Wednesday I would consult a calendar. I watched the video there was a dog, blood from an animal was also found on the road.

I agree but isn't there usually an investigation after a weapon has been discharged? I don't really know about Garda protocol in such a situation so I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Do Gardai shoot newspapers now, or is their aim off?

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote:
    I agree but isn't there usually an investigation after a weapon has been discharged? I don't really know about Garda protocol in such a situation so I could be wrong.

There is, the results are released when all avenues have been examined. Even when a guard draws his asp ( baton) a report has to be wrote as the reasons for doing so.

Why not give Drew Harris a call? I'm sure he will apologise for not keeping you briefed

Edgware wrote: »
    Why not give Drew Harris a call? I'm sure he will apologise for not keeping you briefed

It was GSOC that were reportedly investigating it so Drew wouldn't be the man to contact.

It was GSOC that were reportedly investigating it so Drew wouldn't be the man to contact.
    Give them a shout in the morning to see how things are going so. No point asking us poor ignoramuses

Edgware wrote: »
    Give them a shout in the morning to see how things are going so. No point asking us poor ignoramuses

I only asked if there had been an update in the media especially since this was originally reported by many media outlets. I don't follow everything in the news so I may have missed it and another poster could fill me in if I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Are you really going to believe them ??? Those folk that set that dog on the guard couldn’t lie straight in bed !!! He shot the dog as it was chomping on his tie ... end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Was the dog armed? Or was it self defence? I've seen guard dogs that would put you in hospital fairly quickly.

hawkelady wrote: »
    Are you really going to believe them ??? Those folk that set that dog on the guard couldn’t lie straight in bed !!! He shot the dog as it was chomping on his tie ... end of.

You know the answer to that if you read any of my other posts on this.
    My interest is now on the GSOC investigation on the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

You know the answer to that if you read any of my other posts on this.
    My interest is now on the GSOC investigation on the incident.

Fair enough so ,,,, I’m sure the report will come out in time , as it’s not of major importance cause I’m sure it wouldn’t even make the papers or news , so no real rush. The report will say the detective acted well within his parameters of his work and no further action will be required .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Terrible

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement