Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda shoots dog in Longford

Options
1394041424345»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

A dog is not an innocent when being used as a weapon.

A bullet can ricochet and an unintended consequence happen as was the case here.

What if a child was being used as a weapon?

Holding it by the ankles, and swinging it menacingly...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What if a child was being used as a weapon?

Holding it by the ankles, and swinging it menacingly...

if they were swinging a hammer would you shoot at the hammer or the person holding the hammer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Was the dog armed? Or was it self defence? I've seen guard dogs that would put you in hospital fairly quickly.

Charlie did not bite a finger he shot him!!

In the US at least 1 hunter a year is shot by a turkey. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

med_1535046783_00030.jpg

HES MY DOG NOW!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

tuxy wrote: »
    Did I miss the update or are GSOC taking their time with this investigation?

It takes GSOC a lot longer than you might think to publish these reports, primarily because even after the investigation has been completed, there's a whole process they go through with the parties involved, and, if they believe wrongdoing to have occurred, with Garda management and potentially the DPP in the case of alleged crimes by members of the force. They usually also furnish their report to the Justice Committee of the Oireachtas, and only after all these steps have been taken do they publish it for general consumption.

The reason for this is two-fold, I imagine: Firstly, because they'll want to include in their final report what the outcome was in terms of Gardaí being disciplined, prosecuted, and if the latter, convicted or acquitted. Secondly, if there are indeed criminal charges pending, their report will almost certainly form part of the evidence the DPP uses in the case, and they would therefore not publish it for general consumption until after the case was concluded, to avoid compromising the trial.

This incident happened last December, which isn't all that long ago when you think about how slowly disciplinary procedures tend to go in any organisation, and particularly if any matters arose for the DPP to consider for potential prosecution. There have been cases investigated by GSOC (granted, more complicated cases than this one but even so) which didn't have reports published until years after the investigation was opened. This is usually compounded if there's any obstruction of GSOC's investigation by the Gardaí, although this has only been reported to have happened in the most high profile and controversial cases.

Probably worth throwing them an email to see if they have any comment to make about the progress of the investigation, but I'd bet almost anything they'll reply with "the matter is still under active investigation / the matter is currently being considered by the DPP / the matter is currently before the courts, and therefore we cannot comment until the conclusion of these procedures". When it's finished, they'll report.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

if they were swinging a hammer would you shoot at the hammer or the person holding the hammer?

You're right of course, it was foolish of me to suggest swinging a child by the ankles as a weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

You're right of course, it was foolish of me to suggest swinging a child by the ankles as a weapon.

Too true you loose the advantage of the child's ability to aim low, you know that there is a reason we call them ankle biters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement