Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Your mind-reading abilities combined with your uncanny ability to add two and two together and get five mark you out as a poster not worth following. So I am taking the necessary action.

Your call J.M, slightly petulant reaction?
    Maybe my mystic powers are landing a little close to the mark?
    Certainly a lot of interest in the other J.Ms professional body as to the substance of the detail outlined above though.
    It will be very interesting to see just how this plays out.

I am particularly interested in how you see it going?
    Bailey taking the fall and a senate seat to keep schtum?
    Or holding the party by the balls with a nod and a wink?

Do you not think the actual source of the advice to Bailey that she had an open and shut case is relevant?
    Particularly if the source was also a witness to the event and a party and government colleague?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Your mind-reading abilities combined with your uncanny ability to add two and two together and get five mark you out as a poster not worth following. So I am taking the necessary action.

All that matters is the public's perception on this. Nobody expects any legal outcome or accountability outside of how this whole affair makes Fine Gael look, and it's not good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

banie01 wrote: »
    Your call J.M, slightly petulant reaction?
    Maybe my mystic powers are landing a little close to the mark?
    Certainly a lot of interest in the other J.Ms professional body as to the substance of the detail outlined above though.
    It will be very interesting to see just how this plays out.

I am particularly interested in how you see it going?
    Bailey taking the fall and a senate seat to keep schtum?
    Or holding the party by the balls with a nod and a wink?

Do you not think the actual source of the advice to Bailey that she had an open and shut case is relevant?
    Particularly if the source was also a witness to the event and a party and government colleague?

You're wasting your time. He is even too embarrassed to say what constituency he is in.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/maria-bailey-may-lose-committee-chair-over-swing-gate-935367.html
    Maria Bailey may lose committee chair over swing-gate

What if the chair was supervised?
    “Maria will pay a huge price for this even if no sanction is taken, she has been damaged by her own foolish actions,” one source said.

It has been reported the investigation has found that Ms Bailey overstated her injuries after she fell from a swing in the Dublin hotel.

Another claim pending....
    Social Protection Minister Regina Doherty said the Taoiseach is “caught between a rock and a hard place”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

is_that_so wrote: »
    The homeless issue will eventually go away

I suspect this is the actual government policy on housing..

A bit like this sorry saga.

Ignore it long enough and hope it goes away.

Not a chance..

This issue directly affects every single one of us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/maria-bailey-may-lose-committee-chair-over-swing-gate-935367.html
    Maria Bailey may lose committee chair over swing-gate

What if the chair was supervised?
    “Maria will pay a huge price for this even if no sanction is taken, she has been damaged by her own foolish actions,” one source said.

It has been reported the investigation has found that Ms Bailey overstated her injuries after she fell from a swing in the Dublin hotel.

Another claim pending....
    Social Protection Minister Regina Doherty said the Taoiseach is “caught between a rock and a hard place”.

They are a laughing stock and will continue to be the longer it drags on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Cordell wrote: »
    I think we should go back to the start: a TD, by her own admission, can't use a swing without supervision and instructions, hence she's totally unfit for the job so she should be sacked.

That can't happen until the next election but she should lose her current position.

I suspect this is the actual government policy on housing..

A bit like this sorry saga.

Ignore it long enough and hope it goes away.

Not a chance..

This issue directly affects every single one of us.
    I think part of that social housing policy is to get councils to get their act together but they are even more useless at housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,012 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

is_that_so wrote: »
    Many voters are centrist by inclination and FF/FG dominate this ground. They are also very good at reinventing themselves and borrowing or stealing ideas from other parties. The scenario here is no different to most other democracies - that of a duopoly.

If you're basically happy with what you're getting from FF and FG, fine. But don't be annoying the rest of us by adopting this pose of "I despise both FF and FG with every fibre of my meaning but I have searched high and low and can't find anyone else I could consider voting for."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭rireland

There's some amount of mileage in this story. Nearly 6k posts about a td who fell of a swing and made an insurance claim.

Been rumbling on for a long time now. Who is keeping this in the media?

I don't believe the childrens hospital overspend stayed alive this long. Odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

Well, I think leaders that cannot be trusted with a swing shouldn't be trusted with the construction of a hospital.

If you're basically happy with what you're getting from FF and FG, fine. But don't be annoying the rest of us by adopting this pose of "I despise both FF and FG with every fibre of my meaning but I have searched high and low and can't find anyone else I could consider voting for."
    I don't despise either of them although FF are mostly still on the bold step for 2007-2009. I'm a pragmatist and balance my vote based on my view of the quality of candidates and whether I agree with where they stand. Most of our parties stand more or less in the same place anyway! Still have at least 2-3 options each time, it would be more but the SDs turned out to be wasters!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

rireland wrote: »
    There's some amount of mileage in this story. Nearly 6k posts about a td who fell of a swing and made an insurance claim.

Been rumbling on for a long time now. Who is keeping this in the media?

I don't believe the childrens hospital overspend stayed alive this long. Odd.

Few of us have practical experience of planning or running large construction projects.
    Every small or medium sized business has had to face increasing insurance costs on the renewal ( or indeed refusal of a renewal ) of insurance. Varad claimed to be reaching out to such people who had to get up early in the morning. By letting Baileygate run they continue to remind that constituency of this fiasco.

In years to come books will be written and Ph.D theses submitted on how not to handle a PR problem. Baileygate will be the main example, and it still rumbles on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I suspect the real reason Bailey is still where she is, is because she has the party by the short and curlies - ie, she might spill the beans as to whom accompanied her to the swing, and whom dispensed the legal advice.

It's the only logical explanation that I can see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Anyone know what a solicitors fees would be on a claim award of 25/30k?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Can we crowdfund to get the full report released :)
    Im sure would be entertaining to have a read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Social democrats are worth a vote too

Yeah had thought of them but i don't think they have the organisation or numbers to make a difference like SF do. Then again im very much anti open borders which SF are not :confused: The choices are truly depressing at present they really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I suspect the real reason Bailey is still where she is, is because she has the party by the short and curlies - ie, she might spill the beans as to whom accompanied her to the swing, and whom dispensed the legal advice.

It's the only logical explanation that I can see.

The reason Bailey is where she is is because she was elected by her constituents.

Youve been banging that conspiracy drum for weeks now. Imagining yourself as some enterprising investigative journalist cracking the whole damn case wide open.

It's just wild speculation with nothing to base it on. Like I said. Hearing hooves and thinking zebras. Get a grip pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

"Well then mr veruka ,if this really is your situation, you'll have to cut your cloth to suit your measure ".....'just like you told the Naval Service to do ", ! wontcha?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

The reason Bailey is where she is is because she was elected by her constituents.

Youve been banging that conspiracy drum for weeks now. Imagining yourself as some enterprising investigative journalist cracking the whole damn case wide open.

It's just wild speculation with nothing to base it on. Like I said. Hearing hooves and thinking zebras. Get a grip pal.

I think it's quite plausible that part or the explanation why Leo has chosen not to rightfully throw MB under the bus is that she will take others with her on the way down. Now the major reason has to the broad parliamentary arithmetic, but I think causing damage to Madigan and maybe others most be the reason why Leo hasn't done the right thing. That said, I think he's made a miscalculation and that it would have been better to let Maria and whoever else go for the sake of the high ground. Leo is so tarnished now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

boombang wrote: »
    I think it's quite plausible that part or the explanation why Leo has chosen not to rightfully throw MB under the bus is that she will take others with her on the way down. Now the major reason has to the broad parliamentary arithmetic, but I think causing damage to Madigan and maybe others most be the reason why Leo hasn't done the right thing. That said, I think he's made a miscalculation and that it would have been better to let Maria and whoever else go for the sake of the high ground. Leo is so tarnished now.

100% correct

boombang wrote: »

I am absolutely positive that Madigan is heavily involved. Time will tell.

This article on John and Maria Bailey is interesting...
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/05/29/eamonn-kelly-not-far-from-the-tree/
    To win votes in the 2007 general election John Bailey apparently circulated a letter mocked up to look like a Fine Gael directive from the top, the deception reinforced by featuring a photograph of Enda Kenny, the letter instructing people to vote Bailey No 1, for party vote management reasons.

The deceit was later described by the Fine Gael director of elections as a “serious breach of party discipline and unity.”
    It later emerged in stories from the Sunday Business Post and the Sunday Tribune that both Bailey and his daughter Maria, had received election donations from the builders engaged in work on the golf course. Bailey denied that these donations had any bearing on his failure to object to the development.

The point here is, that he took time to actually write a letter to constituents deliberately designed to mislead and give a false impression of where his loyalties lay.

In 2009 Bailey again set out to deceive Fine Gael with another letter, this one designed to block a rival’s daughter from involvement in the selection process for candidates for Fine Gael for the Dun Laoghaire constituency.
    Maria Bailey said that it is a personal “tragedy” for her and her family. A family whose patriarch has himself a record in deliberate deceit.

Which begs the question, is this an isolated case, or does the Bailey saga represent a trend among the privileged?

The electorate in Dun Laoghaire must be a forgiving bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That quote
    In 2009 Bailey again set out to deceive Fine Gael with another letter, this one designed to block a rival’s daughter from involvement in the selection process for candidates for Fine Gael for the Dun Laoghaire constituency.

That's on John Baileys wiki page - they all are, but my point is they even went out of their way to annoy/block people in the same party. Unbelievable.
    If this was any another person in FG, you can bet that Maria Bailey would be calling for their head, especially if she thought it was effecting the public opinion on FG.
    Is Naja Regan still in FG? She should run next election. It would sicken them, although I dont believe any FG candidate will do well next GE.
    The sitting councillors at the time were obviously John Bailey, Maria Bailey and the third I think was Marie Baker.
    Why would we want to vote any of those in again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Social democrats are worth a vote too

I thought that until they (or Gannon) tried to foist Kisyombe on us.

After that, I knew they were a busted flush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

"Well then mr veruka ,if this really is your situation, you'll have to cut your cloth to suit your measure ".....'just like you told the Naval Service to do ", ! wontcha?

Mothball two of his ships sh1ts?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kingstevii

Gender quota. Lose Bailey and you lose Madigan. Leo is trying to save at least one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'm seeing lads and ladies in whatsapp groups sharing that PD video and venting frustrations around politics. People that had no interest in politics at all before.

I think the whole issue of insurance and compensation is becoming a tipping point and creating an awakening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Not only has this blown up in FGs face, Sinn Fein of all of the opposition shining brightly out of it.

And by doing nothing except the job they are paid to do as opposition, ask the relevant questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

lola85 wrote: »
    People here blaming the likes of Maria Bailey for high premiums then praising Doherty for showing that claims aren’t the reason and it’s actually the insurance companies lying.

I don’t get it???

Shinner logic lad. Doesn't make much sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Gael23 wrote: »
    Hearing rumors that her father has died

Its probably a lie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement