Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

RIP to Councillor Bailey. Thoughts and prayers with the Bailey family. Hopefully this gives people perspective and will stop hounding Deputy Bailey and move on with their lives.

Councillors Bailey's passing is sad and I hope as I already said I hope his family finds comfort. Maria's attempt at an inflated claim is a separate issue and your attempt to conflate the two is disgusting and pathetic.

RIP to Councillor Bailey. Thoughts and prayers with the Bailey family. Hopefully this gives people perspective and will stop hounding Deputy Bailey and move on with their lives.

But life still goes on. My sympathies to the Bailey family at the passing of their father but death is the final part of life. It will happen us all.

The world keeps turning and the living still have to worry about, living. Sorry but that’s reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Suckit wrote: »
    I will stop out of respect, temporarily, but I will not ever vote FG again as long as she remains.
    You should be safe come election time! My money is on deselection or her retirement!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What perspective?

Are we to overlook shortcomings and corruption based on deaths of loved ones?

Sad time for the Bailey household, and they have my sincere condolences, but cllr Bailey's death should have absolutely no bearing on the outcome of this predicament Maria and others find themselves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

banie01 wrote: »
    If Madigan had not been Bailey's legal representative, the simple Expedient of answering No, would have ended speculation about her involvement.
    That proceedings opened in 2016, and Madigan did not step down from her firm until late 2017, is also a quite telling indicator of the source of the advice provided to Bailey.

Mick Clifford in the Examiner had a good article on the fiasco the other day. He made the valid point that both Bailey and Madigan could forgo client-solicitor privledge at any point they want. Now given Madigan is taking political heat over Baileys case if she didnt have any involvement in advising Bailey then they could just simply issue a joint statement saying that she didn't have any involvement. The fact they havent issued this statement speaks volumes. Madigan continues to allow her whole constituency to see her as an ambulance chaser. Now as a vote seeking politician why would you do that if it wasn't true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

If she was in court on criminal charges,would we move on from those also ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Mick Clifford in the Examiner had a good article on the fiasco the other day. He made the valid point that both Bailey and Madigan could forgo client-solicitor privledge at any point they want. Now given Madigan is taking political heat over Baileys case if she didnt have any involvement in advising Bailey then they could just simply issue a joint statement saying that she didn't have any involvement. The fact they havent issued this statement speaks volumes. Madigan continues to allow her whole constituency to see her as an ambulance chaser. Now as a vote seeking politician why would you do that if it wasn't true?

i mean...clearly...if we just step back and examine the facts...eh...i've just heard somebody call me. i'll finish this later. promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

My dad died in 2012. Does this mean I have one unused free pass at exaggerating injuries to get more money from an insurance company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It is not the time to revisit his shady dealings nor use his passing to dismiss those of his daughter. I would suggest you could have merely commented on his passing instead of using it to score points.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,670 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The two are not related, and attempting to do so is nonsense.

I can feel sympathy for their personal loss and still be deeply unsatisfied with the events surrounding Maria and indeed some of the previous activities of her father as others have posted about here.

I suspect you know that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

That's going very low to try and use the death of a man to get rid of the issue.

Floppybits wrote: »
    I see it has been announced that her dad died. Terrible thing but it has probably got her and Leo out of a tricky situation.

I would hate to think anyone, including Fine Gael, would use such a thing as a distraction.

I would hate to think anyone, including Fine Gael, would use such a thing as a distraction.

It's already being attempted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This should not be a get out of jail free card for Maria

Gael23 wrote: »
    This should not be a get out of jail free card for Maria
    Be very surprising if it is. She should lose chair as predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

John Bailey passed away after a “recent illness”. He was suffering from motor neuron disease.

I am sure he knew of his condition but still decided to contest the local elections?

To what end? He would have known the limits to his abilities.

John Bailey passed away after a “recent illness”. He was suffering from motor neuron disease.

I am sure he knew of his condition but still decided to contest the local elections?

To what end? He would have known the limits to his abilities.

If he'd won and then passed away someone would have been gifted it until the next election.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

So will Maria be parachuted into daddy’s seat then? It sort of kind of solves the sticky situation Leo is in. She releases a statement (or even better goes on air haha) to announce she’s going home to take up her fathers role.
    She gets to think she’s saving face and no ongoing debacle for Leo and they all live happily ever after

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

If he'd won and then passed away someone would have been gifted it until the next election.

He did win a seat, didn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭golfball37

So will Maria be parachuted into daddy’s seat then? It sort of kind of solves the sticky situation Leo is in. She releases a statement (or even better goes on air haha) to announce she’s going home to take up her fathers role.
    She gets to think she’s saving face and no ongoing debacle for Leo and they all live happily ever after

Thats how you solve a problem like Maria !

• Advertisement

No, she'll stay in the Dail. Resigning would bring the number of by-elections required to 5 and there's no political need to have one.

Is that a thing?

is_that_so wrote: »
    No, she'll stay in the Dail. Resigning would bring the number of by-elections required to 5 and there's no political need to have one.

What are the other 4 and why was there no will to do that during the local and european elections?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

is_that_so wrote: »
    Be very surprising if it is. She should lose chair as predicted.

But it's all about perception. This whole thing with Farrell and Bailey leaves Fine Gael looking like and in reality accepting and condoning the actions of people in their parliamentary party who are willing to lie to and scam insurance companies in order to line their own pockets.

The perception is of a party of money grabbers, people who would gladly take an envelope of cash from a developer or a vulture fund or whoever to make a decision that is not in the public interests so long as there is cash in it for them.

When you look at the children's hospital calamity, the rural broadband rollout, the housing crisis etc it would beg the question, how many bags of cash have already changed hands to the detriment of the tax paying citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Suckit wrote: »

He did win a seat, didn't he?

Yes he did. He was in the official picture upon election looking very unwell. Should not have ran for reelection given the magnitude and finality if what he was battling.

Seats should not be gifted either. There should be a by-election. It's a bit silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Your sole mission seems to be stating this and attacking anyone you deem to be an idiot or simply wrong across numerous threads and numerous topics.

You rarely seem to add or contribute anything. Outside just attacking posters you deem lesser than you somehow.

Strange that.

Point out where I've been incorrect about any factual matter and I'll gladly revise my post.

What are the other 4 and why was there no will to do that during the local and european elections?
    The new MEPs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Point out where I've been incorrect about any factual matter and I'll gladly revise my post.

I can’t recall you actually ever making a point though. That’s what I was saying.
    It’s always attacking someone else’s and they themselves without providing a valid opposing view.

I can’t recall you actually ever making a point though. That’s what I was saying. It’s always attacking someone else’s and they themselves without providing a valid opposing view.

You shouldn't waste your time tbh.

• Advertisement

But it's all about perception. This whole thing with Farrell and Bailey leaves Fine Gael looking like and in reality accepting and condoning the actions of people in their parliamentary party who are willing to lie to and scam insurance companies in order to line their own pockets.

The perception is of a party of money grabbers, people who would gladly take an envelope of cash from a developer or a vulture fund or whoever to make a decision that is not in the public interests so long as there is cash in it for them.

When you look at the children's hospital calamity, the rural broadband rollout, the housing crisis etc it would beg the question, how many bags of cash have already changed hands to the detriment of the tax paying citizens.
    They can't really remove the whip as that potentially leaves two who might vote against the government. Forcing them to resign creates a further headache of another two by-elections. You'll just have to wait til the election when they can deselect people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement