Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting quicker

• 26-06-2019 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Here in Kildare maybe.Handed in licence application for 12g semi auto on May 23rd and received this morning the 26th with letter having signed off date as the 23rd of this month,so it only took a month.I had a call from the FO as i was also cancelling a rifle licence about 2 weeks ago to tell me all was ok with application but that the superintendent was only back and he had a heap of paperwork to do so expect it to take about 3 weeks.This is the shortest waiting time ive had bar subs which i usually have in 2 weeks.Now i have to wait till next week to pick it up cant wait its my first shotgun in my own name.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Funny, i was just about to ask is anyone waiting longer than normal.

Did you get the actual license yet? I ask because i got the receipt letters this morning and one month ago, but no actual licenses or grant letters yet.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Asus1

Cass wrote: »
    Funny, i was just about to ask is anyone waiting longer than normal.

Did you get the actual license yet? I ask because i got the receipt letters this morning and one month ago, but no actual licenses or grant letters yet.

I received the firearms certificate grant notice and paid for said licence this morning.I have never gotten any notification from the garda if or when my application is being processed.The FO usually rings me to say that she has looked through it and its all ok and she was sending it to the superintendent and it was now up to them.Ive read about receipt letters but ive never gotten one.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Got 2 letters last week to say my renewals were received and i would have a decision conveyed no later than Sept. First time i have ever received letters acknowledging receipt of paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I put my application for 12g on 9th June
    Got a call from FO on 16th and got my grant letter this morning - 15 days is not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Bit of a delay getting some info for AGS from the club RE membership.Emailed the revelant info to my local on Friday,had the grant notice Tuseday.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Its weird,its the same feeling every time you buy a firearm.First its excitement,then its guilt about spending money you dont have,finally its impatience waiting for grant notice to come through.Then you head out and do a bit of shooting and all the above is forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Asus1 wrote: »
    Its weird,its the same feeling every time you buy a firearm.First its excitement,then its guilt about spending money you dont have,finally its impatience waiting for grant notice to come through.Then you head out and do a bit of shooting and all the above is forgotten.

.......and then you go out and buy another one or two!!!!

.......and then you go out and buy another one or two!!!!
    FECK NO...........well yeah probably!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

I had three renewals, and these were in a new county for me.

Took about 6 weeks from handing in to grant letters (which arrived in the same post as the letters stating my application had been received). The licences themselves arrived about a week after payment.

First time that I had all of the correct ammo limits, S, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

7 weeks for me for grant letter

Anyone getting licence quicker than a week after payment?

• Advertisement

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    7 weeks for me for grant letter

Anyone getting licence quicker than a week after payment?

Paid for my licence the 26th of last month and still have not gotten it.Am heading down tomorrow to pick it up with grant letter and receipt of payment as dealer said thats fine.Hopefully it might be in the post before I leave in the morning.Like a child on Christmas eve there wont be alot of sleep tonight.Might stick up a picture when i get it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

Sent in a renewal a month ago and got a call last week from the local station looking for it. They've lost it again

It seems to vary between RFD’s as to if they will accept grant letter with payment reciept vs. licence card.

Most start dealing with those RFD’s that will :)

It seems to vary between RFD’s as to if they will accept grant letter with payment reciept vs. licence card.

Most start dealing with those RFD’s that will :)

Last RFD I dealt with was happy with the letter and receipt as the licence number is printed on the receipt (and he wasn't selling my any ammo).

ezra_ wrote: »
    Last RFD I dealt with was happy with the letter and receipt as the licence number is printed on the receipt (and he wasn't selling my any ammo).

Same here,I've picked up all my firearms with just the grant notice and proof of payment.

Licence came this morning,so i paid last Wednesday and received today so 5 full working days it took,not to bad.Overall from cancelling licence,applying for new licence and receiving said licence in my hand its taken just 5 weeks which is really all it should take for someone who already has firearms licenced.Now to get up early tomorrow morning and head down and pick new shotgun up......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

That's 5 weeks quicker than any application or substitution I've ever done.

Congrats. Happy shooting.

alanmc wrote: »
    That's 5 weeks quicker than any application or substitution I've ever done.

Congrats. Happy shooting.

Longest I've had to wait was my first application for a gamo .22 air rifle it was 9 weeks.Wish id kept it and subbed it for a better one instead of subbing it for .22lr.Love the .22lr but an air rifle is just a great thing to have on a sunny evening down in the fields trying to hit a lump of clay at 80y and all for a few €.

Longest I've had to wait was my first application for a gamo .22 air rifle it was 9 weeks.Wish id kept it and subbed it for a better one instead of subbing it for .22lr.Love the .22lr but an air rifle is just a great thing to have on a sunny evening down in the fields trying to hit a lump of clay at 80y and all for a few €.

My current application is for an Air Rifle. Looking forward to it. Modern PCP high power air rifle should be a great tool around the farm for pest control inside and outside of buildings. Highly accurate too so good for target work also. Here’s a link to mine:

https://youtu.be/ngOVCE_JE2c

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭del boi

My current application is for an Air Rifle. Looking forward to it. Modern PCP high power air rifle should be a great tool around the farm for pest control inside and outside of buildings. Highly accurate too so good for target work also. Here’s a link to mine:

You wont be disappointed, I up graded to the air arms s510 xs last week. Very accurate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

del boi wrote: »
    You wont be disappointed, I up graded to the air arms s510 xs last week. Very accurate

Would it be fair to ask as to the price of the air arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Sika98k

In actual fact dealers should not hand over firearms on the strength of a grant letter. The licence issued is to use, possess and carry. Been down that road with the FPU in the park.

Sika98k wrote: »
    In actual fact dealers should not hand over firearms on the strength of a grant letter. The licence issued is to use, possess and carry. Been down that road with the FPU in the park.

Stictly speaking - once the letter is paid, the licence exists.
    You don't have the representation of the licence (the yellow slip) but the licence exists at that stage.

Still though - I wouldn't want to try this in the wild!

ezra_ wrote: »
    Stictly speaking - once the letter is paid, the licence exists.
    You don't have the representation of the licence (the yellow slip) but the licence exists at that stage.

Still though - I wouldn't want to try this in the wild!

My experience of this was getting a rifle licensed before a hunting trip abroad.
    Ok, approved and in the system but not in hand. The FO was going to enter it into my EFP but said he’d better check with FPU in the park.
    The reply was as I have previously stated. As I did not physically have the licence, no it could not be entered in my EFP. Sure it’s in the pipeline but not to hand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I know some of ye are still getting quick service, but i'm still waiting as are a good few people i know. Months for subs let alone applications.

Reading this today and wonder would it have anything to do with it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Six weeks for my first grant to come through in June plus 5 days for licence from An Post.

Anyone experiencing current delays on grant letter/licence issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭madmac187

Deeply unhappy waiting since May for a new application. FO would not return a call in that time. Spoke to Super and he said to me I will get to it when I can, highest number of guns in country in his county. Lies. Registered letter in the end and see. Not restricted firearm either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

I believe the new super in Bray Co.Wicklow is a foot dragger, crazy delays issuing licences.

• Advertisement

Anyone experiencing current delays on grant letter/licence issue?

I’ve been waiting 6 months for renewals. Not a peep, no acknowledgment.
    If they worked in the private sector they’d be slung out of their jobs.

Advertisement