Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

skipper_G wrote: »
    Ocon is a decent driver, but that's it. People get upset that he's not on the grid but the reality is he's done nothing to deserve that, if Mercedes truly believed he was so special then he'd be in the car not Bottas.

Do I think he could be as good as or better than Bottas? Probably.
    As good as Hamilton? Not a chance

That’s harsh. Bottas is solid and that’s what the team wants from their no.2. They need a drive to win the constructors championship. It was really uncharacteristic of Ferrari to take a chance on LeClerc. It would have been almost unthinkable for merc to drop Bottas for a rookie. Anything short of a dominant first place in the constructors is probably a massive failure at Mercedes. Heads would probably roll. Why take the risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Ocon is a decent driver, but that's it. People get upset that he's not on the grid but the reality is he's done nothing to deserve that, if Mercedes truly believed he was so special then he'd be in the car not Bottas.

Do I think he could be as good as or better than Bottas? Probably.
    As good as Hamilton? Not a chance

I tend to disagree but I'm a fan of his so that's normal.

He was holding his own against Perez who's a more experienced racer. Not only that but he was exciting to watch. He ended up having a big following/support too. I remember around track all the french as pink panthers.

At 22, in his first 2 full seasons he had 28 points finishes out of 41 races. If his talent was doubted even more he finished 27 races in a row before his first retirement, a record for a driver entering the sport.

In my view definitely deserves a spot in F1, Stroll took his because of his father not ability. He's too young in his career to put lofty ambitions like asking is he as good as Hamilton but he certainly is an exciting driver. Merc couldn't really demote Bottas and experiment with Ocon this season (who I see driving with the in the future), but if he wasn't special they wouldn't be holding onto him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I tend to disagree but I'm a fan of his so that's normal.

He was holding his own against Perez who's a more experienced racer. Not only that but he was exciting to watch. He ended up having a big following/support too. I remember around track all the french as pink panthers.

At 22, in his first 2 full seasons he had 28 points finishes out of 41 races. If his talent was doubted even more he finished 27 races in a row before his first retirement, a record for a driver entering the sport.

In my view definitely deserves a spot in F1, Stroll took his because of his father not ability. He's too young in his career to put lofty ambitions like asking is he as good as Hamilton but he certainly is an exciting driver. Merc couldn't really demote Bottas and experiment with Ocon this season (who I see driving with the in the future), but if he wasn't special they wouldn't be holding onto him.

Don't get me wrong, Ocon is talented no doubt. He matched Perez quite well, but he didn't beat him. A big part of his popularity is his background, coming from a normal family and not having money behind him. But I recall people saying the same about Wehrlein, and look at where he is now. F1's history is littered with guys who were talented, what separates them from the Schumacher's and Hamilton's is that something extra special. Vertsappen and Leclerc have it. I think Norris is in that group, he's super impressive. Arguably Albon & Russell may yet end up there given how well they've started.

If Ocon doesn't make it back to the grid, it will be a shame. But the same can be said about other drivers, Sebastian Buemi, Jean-Eric Vergne, Robin Frijns, the list goes on

Going to Silverstone in a couple of weeks. 4 lads camping. Arriving Thursday and leaving Monday.

Any tips from salty old race fans for getting the most out of the weekend?

OSI wrote: »
    Get up VERY early on Sunday. We got into the track at about 7:30am and we still had to work to find a decent viewing spot.

I’ve heard about that so we booked tickets in the Village section for race day. That’s the one way we are prepared but solid advise if we didn’t have seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

From what I remember being there around ten years ago was lots of walking (not camping but walked from the car park to the far side of the track to the seats). So be prepared to be on your feet for a very long time. Good footwear, pack light and don't forget a good and light raincoat (and suncream). :)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-conflicted-wolff-comments-f1-chief/4483390/
    Lewis Hamilton says he now feels "conflicted" over comments he made earlier this week suggesting former team bosses should not be involved in running the sport, because after reflection he reckons someone like Toto Wolff would be an ideal candidate.

Well, that didn't last very long.

Gintonious wrote: »

I listened to the latest autosport podcast and they spend the entire episode fellating Hamilton for attending a 2021 rules meeting. Hamilton didn't actually say anything except that he attended (because he was in Paris for fashion week) And he said they're not making great progress on anything substantive.

The podcast lads reckoned he was the man to get things done but I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. He sways with the wind. This week he's saying the rules need to change to make it more competitive because the public was complaining about the poor quality of the race. The minute he figures out that change is bad for him because he's in the top car, he'll change his tune.

Same as above, team bosses shouldn't be involved - except my team boss.

Verstappen called him out during the halo debate. He said Lewis was critical of the halo in public because the public was against it. To hell with safety we have to take risks etc. But in drivers meetings he was pushing for the halo because of the safety benefits.

He's a weasle in public. Wouldn't believe anything he says just because he said it.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/team-meeting-thicker-tyre-thread-return/4483178/amp/

This is more of it. Toto opposes the proposal to bring back 2018 spec tyres to make it more competitive because it doesn’t suit his team. But we’re expected to trust the same guy to make f1 more competitive.

But to be fair, f1 is business more than sport. Business job is to make money, not to make people happy. Right now people are unhappy and it’s making plenty of money. So why bother to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I listened to the latest autosport podcast and they spend the entire episode fellating Hamilton for attending a 2021 rules meeting. Hamilton didn't actually say anything except that he attended (because he was in Paris for fashion week) And he said they're not making great progress on anything substantive.

The podcast lads reckoned he was the man to get things done but I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. He sways with the wind. This week he's saying the rules need to change to make it more competitive because the public was complaining about the poor quality of the race. The minute he figures out that change is bad for him because he's in the top car, he'll change his tune.

Same as above, team bosses shouldn't be involved - except my team boss.

Verstappen called him out during the halo debate. He said Lewis was critical of the halo in public because the public was against it. To hell with safety we have to take risks etc. But in drivers meetings he was pushing for the halo because of the safety benefits.

He's a weasle in public. Wouldn't believe anything he says just because he said it.

He would make a great politician Hamilton or even President of the U.S.A.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Ok Hamilton is probably relatively creative and a very good driver but this is a man who decided to become a vegan to save the planet while flying to the races on the private plane... Brain trust he is not.

On the tyres I wasn't a huge fan of this from Lewis.
    There's a meeting on tyres and we're all united on that so hopefully a driver will be in that. He doesn't have to say anything but if they're going the wrong way he can say 'no, that's not the case',

I heard, for example, they're trying to bring back 2018 tyres which were worse than this year's tyres. Last year you had to manage the tyres to a temperature which means you have to do more lift and coasting, you have more blistering... it was a lot worse.

You couldn't do what I was able to do in Montreal, where I was able to push behind Seb for all those laps - you couldn't do that on last year's tyres, especially the thicker gauge tyres.

There's an example again of different teams pushing for different things for their own personal goals rather than for the sport's. We need to find solutions that work for everyone if possible and not for individual gain. It's to make racing better."

Obviously Mercedes don't want the tyre change as it impacts them so their reasons are individual gain too, but rather Lewis tries to paint it like it's for the better of the sport and drivers than the personal gain he criticises others for.

Vettel, as bad as he is at times , at least admits that they would like the change for personal gain but notes obviously others will have different opinions.
    "Mercedes does a very good job and it's up to the others to try and catch up. But certainly it would be an element to try and mix things up.

For ourselves we have struggled more on this year's tyres to get them to work and to get into the window for both qualy and race and there are a couple of other teams probably where drivers would agree.

For us it's pretty clear but everybody has their own opinions."

Like the Halo mentioned above I was ranting about Lewis flip flopping.

Just annoys me when he tries to criticise others for looking at it in terms of personal gain and then tries to spin it like they are looking out for everyone.

I suppose with his comments about making it entertaining he doesn't want to just flat out admit they don't want the change due to it possibly impacting their ability to continue in this form but it would be refreshing to just be up front about it rather than try and spin it.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Ok Hamilton is probably relatively creative and a very good driver but this is a man who decided to become a vegan to save the planet while flying to the races on the private plane... Brain trust he is not.

I actually think we are all do things that are hypocritical on the environment. I’m quite good at recycling and in work we have ALL the recycling bins. So I separate the plastic and cardboard out of my sandwich package for example. But I saw something the other day to the effect that you would need to recycle for 2 years to offset the impact of a round trip flight to America. Last night I was looking for summer holidays (in Europe because it’s what I can afford) cos I ain’t giving up my summer holiday. That’s hypocritical.

But flying your dog on a private jet and being vegan for the environment is prettying ridiculous.

I don’t harbour animosity towards vegans like lots of people do. But there’s nothing surer than Hamilton is vegan because he thinks it’s cool.

I wish he would disappear between races and reappear in the car st the next race. He’s sublime on the track but his personality distracts me from appreciating how good he is at racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Red Honeysuckle

I actually think we are all do things that are hypocritical on the environment. I’m quite good at recycling and in work we have ALL the recycling bins. So I separate the plastic and cardboard out of my sandwich package for example. But I saw something the other day to the effect that you would need to recycle for 2 years to offset the impact of a round trip flight to America. Last night I was looking for summer holidays (in Europe because it’s what I can afford) cos I ain’t giving up my summer holiday. That’s hypocritical.

But flying your dog on a private jet and being vegan for the environment is prettying ridiculous.

I don’t harbour animosity towards vegans like lots of people do. But there’s nothing surer than Hamilton is vegan because he thinks it’s cool.

I wish he would disappear between races and reappear in the car st the next race. He’s sublime on the track but his personality distracts me from appreciating how good he is at racing.

I never forgave him for getting stroppy with his McLaren and releasing Buttons telemetry over Twitter. Not that I was a JB or a McLaren fan I just thought it was a dick move.

I've since met him and if anything it reiterated the fact that I think he's a tool. Especially when I saw he made his PA(the woman with his water bottle and umbrella it the races) bring his dog to pee while he was sitting in the motor home. Oh and this was at testing in Barcelona not a race weekend.
    I'd love to see him in the same car as Riccardo or Hulkenberg or someone similar who doesn't get affected by the mind games to see how he would react. I would say Verstappen too but I think he still needs another season or two to harden himself.

Also sky sports f1 really pisses me off with the praise they shower on him. I really miss unbiased coverage. Though I do love Ted.

For anyone who missed this a couple of weeks back.

I was about to turn off the F1 and stuck around watching. It's actually quite entertaining.

Also sky sports f1 really pisses me off with the praise they shower on him. I really miss unbiased coverage. Though I do love Ted.

How did you meet him? That sounds interesting.

But when did we ever have unbiased coverage? RTÉ in the 90/00s when Jordan and Irvine were there? ITV when Damon hill, Williams and McLaren were winning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

How did you meet him? That sounds interesting.

But when did we ever have unbiased coverage? RTÉ in the 90/00s when Jordan and Irvine were there? ITV when Damon hill, Williams and McLaren were winning?

The bias is natural, I don't think it's a hanging offence once it's an English person being happy that an English person is going well. It's bad when they are fawning over them. I don't notice it toob much but the laddish chat on sky has changed the tone for sure and feels a bit like fawning.

Back in the day, brundle had no problem saying Coulthard ballsed it up and he his manager and friend.

I think the rules discussion highlights some of the issues in f1. The teams make the rules. That’s incredible. Where else do the competitors create the rules? And further to the point, trans can lean on their junior teams to vote whatever way they want. Racing point is expected to vote against the return to 2018 tyres because Mercedes tells them to do so. And so on throughout the field.

Teams are a stakeholder and should be included in rule making , but I don’t even think they should have much influence. Fact is, F1 is a mix of business, entertainment and sport. I think it’s more business than entertainment and actual sport is a distant third at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I think the rules discussion highlights some of the issues in f1. The teams make the rules. That’s incredible. Where else do the competitors create the rules? And further to the point, trans can lean on their junior teams to vote whatever way they want. Racing point is expected to vote against the return to 2018 tyres because Mercedes tells them to do so. And so on throughout the field.

Teams are a stakeholder and should be included in rule making , but I don’t even think they should have much influence. Fact is, F1 is a mix of business, entertainment and sport. I think it’s more business than entertainment and actual sport is a distant third at the moment.

You're right teams are overly involved in the rule making process, they should be free to voice their opinions as stakeholders but the FIA should be the final say, and should apply rules that are in the best interests of the sport. If the teams don't like it they should be shown the door and told they're free to leave if they want.

Sadly that isn't the case, the FIA is toothless and hamstrung under Jean Todt's hands off leadership, his priority being mobility and road safety campaigns. F1 meanwhile has no appetite for any real meaningful change, the status quo will remain. The haves want to continue having, the have nots need to survive and hope that change comes, in many cases they need the help of the aforementioned haves in order to do so.

The lunatics run the asylum, and nobody in charge has the guts to stand up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You're right teams are overly involved in the rule making process, they should be free to voice their opinions as stakeholders but the FIA should be the final say, and should apply rules that are in the best interests of the sport. If the teams don't like it they should be shown the door and told they're free to leave if they want.

Sadly that isn't the case, the FIA is toothless and hamstrung under Jean Todt's hands off leadership, his priority being mobility and road safety campaigns. F1 meanwhile has no appetite for any real meaningful change, the status quo will remain. The haves want to continue having, the have nots need to survive and hope that change comes, in many cases they need the help of the aforementioned haves in order to do so.

The lunatics run the asylum, and nobody in charge has the guts to stand up to them.

Maybe when they and Liberty Media see the continued decline in viewers and people attending the races they might eventually decide to do something.
    Just hope it will not be to late for F1 or if it keeps happening eventually F1 will confined to history and just something we used to watch or go to.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

On that note Dan Ticktum is no red bull junior any more as his superlicense won't be ready for next year as he is failing miserable in Japan atm.
    Good for the toro rosso boys as no development driver with the superlicense points is in sight.
    Gasly was also warned to up his game, but neither of the toro rosso driver would make sense. Except kyvat when you want max to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Not even at half way in the season and drivers are already taking penalties for changing parts. Sainz and Albon starting at the back in Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I was listening to an interview with the Renault principal Cyril A Bit of Bull or whatever his name is and he squashed rumours from the press that Red Bull were sniffing around Hulkenberg. Hadn't heard that myself, but it's not true anyway......or is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Harika wrote: »
    On that note Dan Ticktum is no red bull junior any more as his superlicense won't be ready for next year as he is failing miserable in Japan atm.
    Good for the toro rosso boys as no development driver with the superlicense points is in sight.
    Gasly was also warned to up his game, but neither of the toro rosso driver would make sense. Except kyvat when you want max to win.
    Mexican Patricia O Ward is the new kid in town - Indycar racer and likely to take Ticktums place in Japan to get the necessary super licence points.

What a change in fortune for Dan - being pushed as a candidate for the Toro Rosso seat and a few months later dropped completely. .....

Gasly days seem numbered with DaniI openly speaking about a return to Red Bull.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://formulaspy.com/formula-1/rich-energy-lose-court-battle-with-whyte-bikes-several-court-orders-made-62298
    Rich Energy lose court battle with Whyte Bikes; several court orders made

No surprise so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Infoanon wrote: »
    Mexican Patricia O Ward is the new kid in town - Indycar racer and likely to take Ticktums place in Japan to get the necessary super licence points.
    Pato will be making his F2 debut this weekend as a one-off replacement for a banned driver. Red Bull are not providing him with any funding to ensure he completes the full Indycar season with Carlin so yeah it should be a formality he will take Ticktums seat over in Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

As for the F1 is dying myth, the race in Austria attracted 200k visitors, only 2014 there have been more with 220k. (since the return there) https://steiermark.orf.at/stories/3002539/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Harika wrote: »
    As for the F1 is dying myth, the race in Austria attracted 200k visitors, only 2014 there have been more with 220k. (since the return there) https://steiermark.orf.at/stories/3002539/

Track attendance is a minute proportion, and the least elastic, of the total audience. These are the hardcore fans and those who want a day out. It's the punter on the couch watching the ads that matters.

Track attendance is a minute proportion, and the least elastic, of the total audience. These are the hardcore fans and those who want a day out. It's the punter on the couch watching the ads that matters.

Not to mention the combination of a Dutch driver in an Austrian team. That would go down the toilet if it weren’t for hose factors. So it’s not in any way indicative of f1 in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Empty stands at other races shows the appetite around the world. Some tracks have very poor attendance rates.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement