Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunchtime Live with Ciara Kelly [Mod warning post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Lol, comparing the vacuous, stage managed shyte that is Love Island to political manoeuvrings or a Greek tragedy. It's a fûckin tragedy alright.

I think you actually have to listen to her opening monologue to get a full grasp of the absolute nonsense that this woman talks though. She played a snippet of a guest on the Pat Kenny show, because she wanted to rebut one of his guests, Siobhan O'connor, who dissed the show generally and had a problem with a particular turn of phrase that Maura Higgins used. O'Connor said that she felt the show should be cancelled.

Kelly starts off:
    "First off, this is not a show for children. Don't be letting your children watch this show, it's not for them."
    - Note that she says later in the show that she watches the show with her own seventeen year old daughter.
    "Second of all, I thought in ireland we had moved away from having moral police who told us what we should and should not watch on the telly
    - this from the Noreen O'Sullivan of the moral police herself"

"Maura Higgins, an Irish woman from Longford, who is flying the flag for Irish women. What Maura actually said was.. she was looking at a guy and she said "He's giving me the fanny flutters".. she was talking about fancying someone. And to be honest, she was OWNING her sexuality and I found it massively refreshing to hear a girl talk like that. The English girls are normally more up front. But Maura was putting it right out there"
    - I wonder would she find it refreshing if one of her guests or her own daughter started using this phrase.

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/page/1/filter?filter_selected=show-filter&show=lunchtime-live&series=all

And tbh, the whole monologue is for one reason - somebody gave out about a show that she watches.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,038 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Tried to warm to this show over the years by listening to bits and pieces on it but cannot warm to her at all, she really is the definition of someone who loves the sound of her own voice, I miss George Hook.

Its basically "women's hour" on a daily basis... But yesterday was peak women's hour....

So Ciara thinks it’s good this Love Island Maura wan says “he gives me fanny flutters” ? Great stuff ......just “putting it out there “ as she likes to say .
    How would she react if a guy said about her 17 year old daughter “she gives me the horn “ ??
    Can you imagine the outrage , horror, men bashing, toxic masculinity row there would be then? She speaks out of both sides of her mouth, and is completely inconsistent . She changes her tack to suit the subject. At least George Hook was consistent and stood by his beliefs, rightly or wrongly.

She’s all about “men need to be told to stop raping women “ if they’re in any way disrespectful, but it’s ok for a woman to say “ he gives me fanny flutters”?
    Can’t have it both ways ...........

limnam wrote: »
    The fact she's a love island fan is not surprising.
    I was surprised at first, too. Then I thought, well she has a point. I liked the comparison to Greek tragedy, although it's more a Greek comedy. That's when I got it. Love Island is the Lysistrata of our time, and Maura Higgins is that modern-day Athenian woman who uses her sex to combat against disadvantages that she faces, to make herself an equal citizen.
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    Its basically "women's hour" on a daily basis... But yesterday was peak women's hour....
    What's wrong with Woman's Hour? It's one of the most popular shows across all of BBC radio.

She’s all about “men need to be told to stop raping women “ if they’re in any way disrespectful, but it’s ok for a woman to say “ he gives me fanny flutters”?
    Can’t have it both ways ...........
    It isn't disrespectful to say, even using that language, that someone is attractive to you.

Similarly, nobody should be alarmed or disquieted by the common expression that some woman gives a man 'the horn'.

So what?

Who exactly are the snowflakes here? Some people upset themselves over the most trivial things.

• Advertisement

It isn't disrespectful to say, even using that language, that someone is attractive to you.

Similarly, nobody should be alarmed or disquieted by the common expression that some woman gives a man 'the horn'.

So what?

Who exactly are the snowflakes here? Some people upset themselves over the most trivial things.

The issue isn’t about “snowflakes” and it’s tiresome when that term is used in every debate in order to deflect. I’m not in any way disquieted or alarmed :rolleyes: This isn’t about me.
    I’ve reared 2 independent strong daughters both of whom travelled the world on their own and learned how to deal with any kind of situation. They’re far from snowflakes.
    I’m merely pointing out the inconsistencies in Ciara Kelly’s arguments.
    Men can’t be vilified for everything . Not everything should be out there and in your face. There’s no difference between men and women anymore if women act like lads on a night out. There’s no mystery, no class.

I don’t watch Love Island so maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about. But if you’re rearing young girls to be respectful of themselves and able to deal with men as equals and for those same men to respect them, then I’d
    advise against certain anatomical terminologies to begin with.
    I’m no prude and have had many relationships, but I’m an adult.

I know this is a TV show and not real life but from what I’ve heard kids as young as 10 are watching it. In light of a very tragic case here dealing with juvenile boys raping and murdering another child I’d be quite concerned about the impact something like Love Island has on young minds.........everyone is basically seen as a sex object. Terminology like “fanny flutters” and “getting the horn” will be in the playground next. Kids brains are like sponges, they’re absorbing all this.

I’m just surprised that Ciara Kelly who is a doctor and a mother wouldn’t see this too? As a society we can’t have it every way. Anyway the above is only my opinion and maybe I’m completely out of touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I know this is a TV show and not real life but from what I’ve heard kids as young as 10 are watching it. In light of a very tragic case here dealing with juvenile boys raping and murdering another child I’d be quite concerned about the impact something like Love Island has on young minds.........everyone is basically seen as a sex object. Terminology like “fanny flutters†and “getting the horn†will be in the playground next. Kids brains are like sponges, they’re absorbing all this.

I don't watch this rubbish either but there is a 9pm watershed. If people want to watch this rubbish then they should be able to watch it. The real issue here is what are parents doing letting kids watch it. It's on after 9pm so it's deemed not suitable for family viewing.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I don't watch this rubbish either but there is a 9pm watershed. If people want to watch this rubbish then they should be able to watch it. The real issue here is what are parents doing letting kids watch it. It's on after 9pm so it's deemed not suitable for family viewing.

True, I’ve no problem with people watching it but even with 9pm watershed especially as school holidays are here I’d say plenty of 10-14 year olds see it .......then again maybe they see worse on their smartphones. Maybe I’m just out of touch but I find it quite depressing.

True, I’ve no problem with people watching it but even with 9pm watershed especially as school holidays are here I’d say plenty of 10-14 year olds see it .......then again maybe they see worse on their smartphones. Maybe I’m just out of touch but I find it quite depressing.

This is still a bad parenting issue & not a programming issue. I have had Sky TV for close to 30 years. I can watch Game of thrones with full nudity at 9am. I can watch programs with foul language or graphic horror movies any time day or night. Its up to me to ensure that children don't see unsuitable programs on my sky package.

I hate everything about programs like love Island. I'd be delighted if it never aired again but it would be plain wrong to ban it because some parents let their children watch it.

There needs to be personal responsibility here.

The issue isn’t about “snowflakes” and it’s tiresome when that term is used in every debate in order to deflect.
    I agree. But let's be consistent. The views that are often espoused by Kelly are usually dismissed as being sympathetic to snowflakes.
    I’m merely pointing out the inconsistencies in Ciara Kelly’s arguments.
    Men can’t be vilified for everything .
    Hold your horses. Who has ever said that men ought to be vilified for everything?

Ciara Kelly specifically stated on Fridays show that men had enjoyed sexual libération since the year dot (I'd add a caveat to that, gay men and trans men haven't, but this is to digress...), and now it's women's turn. Nobody was attacking men.
    Not everything should be out there and in your face. There’s no difference between men and women anymore if women act like lads on a night out. There’s no mystery, no class.
    Clearly you think class is a good thing. I disagree. I see it as an obnoxious cancer on normal human behaviour, heavily rooted in (guess what? ) social class and class markers.

If such a thing as class exists in any figurative sense, it's the ability to get beyond small-minded assumptions about how others should behave or live their lives.

• Advertisement

I agree. But let's be consistent. The views that are often espoused by Kelly are usually dismissed as being sympathetic to snowflakes.

Hold your horses. Who has ever said that men ought to be vilified for everything?

Ciara Kelly specifically stated on Fridays show that men had enjoyed sexual libération since the year dot (I'd add a caveat to that, gay men and trans men haven't, but this is to digress...), and now it's women's turn. Nobody was attacking men.

Clearly you think class is a good thing. I disagree. I see it as an obnoxious cancer on normal human behaviour, heavily rooted in (guess what? ) social class and class markers.

If such a thing as class exists in any figurative sense, it's the ability to get beyond small-minded assumptions about how others should behave or live their lives.

Apologies ..... maybe it was the wrong choice of word in this context , by class I mean ‘self - respect’ ........the same as the popular phrase “stay classy”.
    I’m not talking about socio economic groups. Anyone can act with class , to me it means manners and self respect.

Apologies ..... maybe it was the wrong choice of word in this context , by class I mean ‘self - respect’ ........the same as the popular phrase “stay classy”.
    I’m not talking about socio economic groups. Anyone can act with class , to me it means manners and self respect.
    Oh I totally get where you're coming from about manners, I didn't mean to insinuate the you were in favour of social classism.

What I mean is that manners are themselves trash. They're a social construct, which cannot be distinguished from social class norms.

So-called coarse language (aka Anglo saxon) is banned on this website for example, for reasons that are beyond my comprehension. As far as I care, such rules are nothing more than a social code which intends to determine who belongs in which economic class, or category.

The same goes for language like calling someone "crass" or an "oaf". It might not automatically seem like classism, but the implication is there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

It would be an improvement if Newstalk banned foul language, at least during daytime. I seem to hear "arsehole" frequently these day.
    It's shoddy, unprofessional, unnecessary for a national broadcaster.

It would be an improvement if Newstalk banned foul language, at least during daytime. I seem to hear "arsehole" frequently these day. It's shoddy, unprofessional, unnecessary for a national broadcaster.

But what if Ciara Kelly finds using the word "arsehole" liberating also. Listen, the days of you and your patriarchy telling strong, independent, intelligent women like Ciara Kelly what to do are gone sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

But what if Ciara Kelly finds using the word "arsehole" liberating also. Listen, the days of you and your patriarchy telling strong, independent, intelligent women like Ciara Kelly what to do are gone sunshine.

You forgot the roll eyes - I hope!

Del.Monte wrote: »
    You forgot the roll eyes - I hope!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's good so many are worried about the youth of our nation being destroyed by rubbish programmes and a bit of foul language or an odd mention of being horny. All that while themselves probably think Coronation Steet or Fair City is the height of TV sophistication.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

meeeeh wrote: »
    It's good so many are worried about the youth of our nation being destroyed by rubbish programmes and a bit of foul language or an odd mention of being horny. All that while themselves probably think Coronation Steet or Fair City is the height of TV sophistication.

This tingled my testicles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

What's the betting in the next week Ciara will find a story where a man said something to or treated a woman in a certain way and Ciara will be telling us how all boys need to be sat down and taught that it's not appropriate and she'll be starting with her own son, meanwhile going on about your fanny flaps on national TV objectifying males is grand because female.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

So let me guess, you are whinging how a woman in a programme where she spends majority of time in a skimpy bikini objectifies a man. I'm sure Love Island ia all about intelligence and good heart. I think your dislike of Ciara Kelly actually fried all your brain cells.

• Advertisement

It would be an improvement if Newstalk banned foul language, at least during daytime. I seem to hear "arsehole" frequently these day. It's shoddy, unprofessional, unnecessary for a national broadcaster.

Can't see this happening. They don't even seem to have a policy where presenters address ministers correctly. Kenny does as he is RTE trained. Ivan Yates does because he was a minister. The station managers don't seem bothered with standards imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Can't see this happening. They don't even seem to have a policy where presenters address ministers correctly. Kenny does as he is RTE trained. Ivan Yates does because he was a minister. The station managers don't seem bothered with standards imo

Shur they're all FG anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

what % of the Irish population require these toilets?

"I'm a cis-gender white male".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

what % of the Irish population require these toilets?

What % 'require' a gender based toilet?
    Have ye gender designated toilets in the houses you grew up in or live in now?

"if men know women have periods, it might lead to a more equal society". Can't beat that logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Ciara Kelly is thee worst host on radio. Bar none.

Self righteous,opinionated with no reasoning or willingness to be shown a different opinion.

She's rude,amateur and cringy.

I too used to post here 3 to 4 times weekly complaining of this.
    She infuriated me regularly with her wilful ignorance.

Then I just stopped listening to her. Problem sorted. It's bliss.

Turn the dial guys.

Uncharted wrote: »
    Ciara Kelly is thee worst host on radio. Bar none.

Self righteous,opinionated with no reasoning or willingness to be shown a different opinion.

She's rude,amateur and cringy.

I too used to post here 3 to 4 times weekly complaint of this.
    She infuriated me regularly with her wilful ignorance.

Then I just stopped listening to her. Problem sorted. It's bliss.

Turn the dial guys.

:D:D:D

She's not even on today....

thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

:D:D:D

She's not even on today....

thanks for the info.

?????????

I stopped listening about 6 weeks ago.

So obviously I wasn't aware she wasn't on today.

....so thanks for the info.

Nice to see you still prowl the halls here.
    Enjoy your role.

• Advertisement

Uncharted wrote: »
    I stopped listening about 6 weeks ago.

So obviously I wasn't aware she wasn't on today.

....so thanks for the info.

Nice to see you still prowl the halls here.
    Enjoy your role.

Ok, so me, a listener, is prowling here. What does that make you, a non-listener, who still posts on the thread 6 weeks after they turned the show on?

Said it before, haters gonna hate.

Any other shows you don't listen to we should avoid?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement