Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunchtime Live with Ciara Kelly [Mod warning post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

meeeeh wrote: »
    How Polish or Lithuanian kids with no or very little English cope? I think a few subjects as P. E., religion could be easily done in Irish.

These foreign kids would have to master three languages under Ciaras idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    These foreign kids would have to master three languages under Ciaras idea!

And? I learned 3 plus my own in school. They discontinued Serbo-Croatian because the country ceased to exist so I didn't mention that one. I also learned Italian in spare time but didn't use it much so my skills lapsed. But I have plenty of friends who are fluent in two or three foregin languages plus their own. I don't see the issue and I'm dreadful at languages.

meeeeh wrote:
    And? I learned 3 plus my own in school. They discontinued Serbo-Croatian because the country ceased to exist so I didn't mention that one. I also learned Italian in spare time but didn't use it much so my skills lapsed. But I have plenty of friends who are fluent in two or three foregin languages plus their own. I don't see the issue and I'm dreadful at languages.

Bulley for you.

It will never, ever happen. Teaching everything though Irish will put too many pupils at a disadvantage. It will cost too much because of the extra teachers and class rooms needed.

I'm actually in favour of the idea because it will give autistic & dyslexic kids better teaching ratios. Because of the ridiculous idea of seperating girls and boys we could see ratios of one on one to one on 10. However putting a child in a class on their own is cruel and isolates child who have difficulty mixing with other children even more.

It's a totally non runner and the return will be tiny. Guarantee it will never happen

I'm guessing 10 percent.
    Apparently the figure is much smaller. It's approx. 1%. That's fairly tiny.

https://www.education.ie/en/Parents/Information/Irish-Exemption/irish_exemption_review_of_policy_and_practice.pdf
    From 2010 to 2016, the proportion of pupils in the mainstream primary school population granted an exemption from the study of Irish for the first time fluctuated between 0.8% and 1%

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's not just me. My point was that if you live in a country that doesn't speak one of the major world languages you have to learn another language or your life is significantly limited. It's not that I was some sort of an exception, I was the norm. Children on average are well able to handle learning 3 languages.

Anyway this could be achieved if there was a desire to do it. I'm not an Irish speaker so I don't overly care, in fact it's easier for me if Irish isn't used. However I believe a bit of national identity is lost if you loose the language.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    Anyway this could be achieved if there was a desire to do it. I'm not an Irish speaker so I don't overly care, in fact it's easier for me if Irish isn't used. However I believe a bit of national identity is lost if you loose the language.
    Of course it is.

In no other country would this be a controversial statement, I suggest.

We know that's not a true figure. Not suggesting you made it up but most parents don't ask for the exemption in primary school because there is no need to ask for it. Irish is 30 minutes per day & their kid can join in or not.

When you try teach through Irish the figure will jump. All of a sudden these kids that didn't take up the exemption will have to take it up. The percentage of kids with disabilities will be over one percent. Foreign nationals are exempt. I don't know what it's like outside of Dublin but another couple of percent there. Children of returning Irish are exempt if they want.

Parents will be looking for any reason to try have the better teacher ratio in the non irish class. In secondary school there is a huge amount of kids exempt from Irish yet studding another languish. This shows when pushed many parents will claim the exemption from Irish.

Again I ask what will be the return for taxpayers massive investment here? I think it will benefit parents who would have spent money sending their kids to Irish school but the average working class Dublin family will have little interest in this. We'd be better off educating our children through German or French at the end of the day. Parents who want thier children to speak Irish for cultural reasons will have their children speaking Irish anyway

We know that's not a true figure. Not suggesting you made it up but most parents don't ask for the exemption in primary school because there is no need to ask for it. Irish is 30 minutes per day & their kid can join in or not.

When you try teach through Irish the figure will jump. All of a sudden these kids that didn't take up the exemption will have to take it up.
    This is a very strange claim.

It is crucial to claim an exemption from Irish as early as possible, as to not do so will prevent a child from matriculating to university.

The claim you made was (I really mean this respectfully!) totally exaggerated; by a factor of 10. And almost no parent will fail to claim an exemption -- the consequences are profound, even if it transpires that a child won't pursue 3rd Level education.

Of course it is.

In no other country would this be a controversial statement, I suggest.

I do agree to some extent. All the racist threads about "Non Irish" or "Immigrants" etc you hear how they are diluting our Irishness. Ask any of these posters why they aren't posting in Irish & you'll be met with silence. Most wont practice what they preach. Happy to spout off about real Irishness yet are too lazy or have no interest in learning Irish.

To me the youtube video below says it all

Ask any of these posters why they aren't posting in Irish & you'll be met with silence.
    I don't post as Gaeilge because if I did, I'd have to ban myself. This is an English-language forum.

There was some really annoying lad on here a few years ago, who used post in Irish and, at the bottom of every post, place an English translation. It annoyed the hell out of everyone, Gaeilgeoir or not. He almost certainly ended up being perma-banned. Rightly so.

• Advertisement

This is a very strange claim.

It is crucial to claim an exemption from Irish as early as possible, as to not do so will prevent a child from matriculating to university.

The claim you made was (I really mean this respectfully!) totally exaggerated; by a factor of 10. And almost no parent will fail to claim an exemption -- the consequences are profound, even if it transpires that a child won't pursue 3rd Level education.

The vast majority claims of exemptions are made in secondary school. Ciara has actually covered this several times before on her show. She has also covered, or her guest has covered that a huge amount of kids with the exemption study other languishes in secondary school

I don't post as Gaeilge because if I did, I'd have to ban myself. This is an English-language forum.

There was some really annoying lad on here a few years ago, who used post in Irish and, at the bottom of every post, place an English translation. It annoyed the hell out of everyone, Gaeilgeoir or not. He almost certainly ended up being perma-banned. Rightly so.

You are missing my point. My point is that most of the racists can't speak Irish yet claim that foreign nations are diluting our Irishness. They use this as an excuse for being racist yet show little interest in regaining their Irishness through their national languish. Just to be clear I wasn't implying anyone posting here is racist

The vast majority claims of exemptions are made in secondary school.
    That makes sense, because most kids who are claiming exemption on grounds of foreign birth will probably be of (or approaching) secondary school age.

Either way, do you have some kind of breakdown for this?

You are missing my point. My point is that most of the racists can't speak Irish yet claim that foreign nations are diluting our Irishness. They use this as an excuse for being racist yet show little interest in regaining their Irishness through their national languish. Just to be clear I wasn't implying anyone posting here is racist
    Well you've sailed very close to the line, and maybe even crossed it in spite of yourself.

That's such a crazy statement. Do you think I'm a racist? (Answer that as honestly as you'd like!). I don't think so. And I don't think its in any way racist to wish to preserve national heritage, or indeed identity.

It's not that we're better than anyone, but we have some differences. Diversity, you might say.

That makes sense to some extent, because most kids who are claiming exemption on grounds of foreign birth will probably be of (or approaching) secondary school age.

Either way, do you have some kind of breakdown for this?

No. Most non Irish going to school are born here. They don't all come here at 12 ready to join secondary school. It's easy to not claim the exemption in primary at the moment because it's 30 minutes per day that they can learn or not. They don't leave the class for 30 minutes for education. They have to sit there anyway ( same as religion class but that's another thread). Exempt or not it means nothing in primary school right now. When they hit secondary school though & here is a subject that they can escape & allow more time for other subjects its a different matter. This has been brought up on this show several times. The same thing will happen if you try introduce teaching through Irish. There will be a rush for exemptions.

Well you've sailed very close to the line, and maybe even crossed it in spite of yourself.

That's such a crazy statement. Do you think I'm a racist? (Answer that as honestly as you'd like!). I don't think so. And I don't think its in any way racist to wish to preserve national heritage, or indeed identity.

It's not that we're better than anyone, but we have some differences. Diversity, you might say.

Ah will you stop. I'm talking about anti immigrant threads & I've made that clear. How could I imagine you are racist because you are in favor of the I|rish languish? Sometimes what I try to say doesn't come out when I type but I honestly can't see how I suggested anyone here is racist. If I did I 100 percent apologize as that wasn't my intent

No. Most non Irish going to school are born here. They don't all come here at 12 ready to join secondary school. It's easy to not claim the exemption in primary at the moment because it's 30 minutes per day that they can learn or not.
    Unless things have changed drastically since my secondary schooling, most secondary education as Gaeilge amounts to about 30 minutes per day (ours was 35 mins) -- the crucial point is that you had to have had a pre-existing exemption in order to avoid doing Irish.

Is it possible to simply claim at the age of 13 that you've been entitled to an exemption from the start, despite years of doing Irish? If so, that's certainly something that ought to be amended.
    Ah will you stop. I'm talking about anti immigrant threads & I've made that clear. How could I imagine you are racist because you are in favor of the I|rish languish? Sometimes what I try to say doesn't come out when I type but I honestly can't see how I suggested anyone here is racist. If I did I 100 percent apologize as that wasn't my intent
    Not at all, my own wording was probably clumsy. I was just concerned that something I'd said may have seemed racist, that's all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

I hear you're a racist now , Father .... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Live and Unscripted and she starts the show today with her own agenda and a rant in favour of "Love Island". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Brings on vet for discussion on greyhounds.

Talks all over the expert.

Cuts her off completely at the end.

This woman is stealing a living.

• Advertisement

I hear ya, I hear ya I hear ya I hear ya , I hear ya .............does she never listen back to herself ?

I hear ya, I hear ya I hear ya I hear ya , I hear ya .............does she never listen back to herself ?

If she just shut up and let people talk....it's so frustrating...

30 x 3 = 99

A school teacher struggling with math :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

She's fighting the real fight in Irish society - the right for any woman to say "he makes my flaps flutter" on TV. I hope that when one of the men says "she gives me the horn" that Ciara is so full in her support for them.

She's fighting the real fight in Irish society - the right for any woman to say "he makes my flaps flutter" on TV. I hope that when one of the men says "she gives me the horn" that Ciara is so full in her support for them.

The fact she's a love island fan is not surprising.

live and unscripted yapping about her FOTM

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Where would a busy lady such as her get time to watch any of the soaps?

Are Love Island promoters paying for mentions on the media?- seems to be plugged relentlessly

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lol, comparing the vacuous, stage managed shyte that is Love Island to political manoeuvrings or a Greek tragedy.

It's a fûckin tragedy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Tried to warm to this show over the years by listening to bits and pieces on it but cannot warm to her at all, she really is the definition of someone who loves the sound of her own voice, I miss George Hook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Tried to warm to this show over the years by listening to bits and pieces on it but cannot warm to her at all, she really is the definition of someone who loves the sound of her own voice, I miss George Hook.

Like a female Hooky, she waffles on about the fact she's a doctor and female instead of rugby and half remembered WW2 movies and Westerns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement