Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunchtime Live with Ciara Kelly [Mod warning post #1]

Options

Comments

Mod - One post has been deleted because of discussion of moderation.

If you ever think a moderating action has been to harsh (or in other cases, lenient), bear in mind that mods have access to posters' track records in terms of infractions and bans.

There are plenty of ways of discussing moderation, including PM. The Ciara Kelly thread is not that place.

Back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

What you are looking for can simply not happen on any station without inevitable legal implications.

nobody really believes or wants that too happen. too dangerous and unpredictable.
    the problem is that they claim it is when it clearly isnt. its just marketing BS

i dont see why they couldnt do it with a 5 minute delay . all these shows are delayed by a small amount since the jerry ryan 'where would you like to be buried' hilarity

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

nobody really believes or wants that too happen. too dangerous and unpredictable.
    the problem is that they claim it is when it clearly isnt. its just marketing BS

i dont see why they couldnt do it with a 5 minute delay . all these shows are delayed by a small amount since the jerry ryan 'where would you like to be buried' hilarity

But, isn't that what all shows/stations do?

"Tune in tonight for all you need for your weekends entertainment"
    "Bringing you the best matches in the EPL" - like they are responsible for the quality of the game.
    "Asking all the hard questions!" - (which have been vetted and approved)
    "Bringing you the most interesting guests" - (if you missed them a month ago)

All of these are used to entice listeners. In this case, (which is only one show a week) people can't seem to hack that it is not literal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,893 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

"up to my b##### in BB". I nearly choked when I head that. Even poor Gerry was stunned. :)

I loved the Gerry Ryan show and for the most part I like this show. This claim to live & unscripted drives me insane each time I hear it. Gerry was live & unscripted BUT he had the luxury of playing a few songs when the calls dried up or he could waffle on about Thunderbirds and Airfix model airplanes. Ciaras show can never be truly unscripted with or without a 5 minutes delay & I don't have a problem with that. It is the marketing of the roller-coaster anything can happen that annoys me. False advertising for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

redbuck wrote: »
    Dr Kelly said that the next caller was Dermot to talk about the local elections and when the caller came on he said his name was Rob and he wanted to talk about sexual abuse in some institution, I can't remember the name unfortunatley.

Dr Kelly said that she wasn't prepared for this call she was supposed to talk about the local election and basically hung up on the guy.

She proceeded to move on to a harder hitting issue, the Spice Girls concert tonight.

Completely the correct decision there by Kelly (or more likely her producer) as there were serious defamation concerns with that call.

• Advertisement

Not finding the focus on fertility this week to be particularly interesting. Granted I'm not the target audience being male with no children.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Not finding the focus on fertility this week to be particularly interesting. Granted I'm not the target audience being male with no children.

I found it interesting. I have friends who struggled with fertility issues. I think especially today's programme was a bit of a public therapy sesion. There were some very sad stories and not discussing miscarriage does make things harder. I wasn't as emotionally affected by miscarriages but there is huge physical toll and it happens a lot more often than people think. Pretending these issues don't exist does disservice to couples and creates more distress when miscarriages happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I didn't hear it.

12 months ago I'd probably have switched it off if I came across it. Unfortunately I now have a good insight into the whole thing. A year of trying, with a miscarriage in the middle, and that elusive viable pregnancy still evading us. Can only be a good thing it's more talked about. It's a growing source of sadness and anxiety in my life.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I found it interesting. I have friends who struggled with fertility issues. I think especially today's programme was a bit of a public therapy sesion. There were some very sad stories and not discussing miscarriage does make things harder. I wasn't as emotionally affected by miscarriages but there is huge physical toll and it happens a lot more often than people think. Pretending these issues don't exist does disservice to couples and creates more distress when miscarriages happen.

I don't know if that is the case though is it?

I know every person/couple will have their own way of dealing with it. Friends of mine experienced it and one guy who I was very close to was adamant that he wasn't going to discuss it, he was only going to think positively that it was a one off. They had a daughter 3 weeks ago.

I don't know if that is the case though is it?

I know every person/couple will have their own way of dealing with it. Friends of mine experienced it and one guy who I was very close to was adamant that he wasn't going to discuss it, he was only going to think positively that it was a one off. They had a daughter 3 weeks ago.

But that's not my point . I had three miscarriages, they were all in first trimester and not as traumatic for us as they are for some other people. Two were after I had first child and we did go on to have another child. But nobody tells you how significant chance is that something will go wrong, you are not prepared for how exhausting it is, how much blood you can loose (I needed transfusion after one and I was lucky it was Saturday and OH was at home so he called an ambulance after I passed out in the shower) and what an emotional toll can be on some. And it's worse because this impression is created miscarriages rarely happen. For many the sadness is compounded by the fear they did something wrong when it's most likely just a pure chance and nothing you did and didn't do.

Yes we all deal with miscarriages differently but I bet that if you ask your friend he will tell you he knew very little about miscarriage, what happens and how often it happens before it happened to him and his partner. It doesn't mean he needed to talk about it but it does help when someone does just to get the information out.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    But that's not my point . I had three miscarriages, they were all in first trimester and not as traumatic for us as they are for some other people. Two were after I had first child and we did go on to have another child. But nobody tells you how significant chance is that something will go wrong, you are not prepared for how exhausting it is, how much blood you can loose (I needed transfusion after one and I was lucky it was Saturday and OH was at home so he called an ambulance after I passed out in the shower) and what an emotional toll can be on some. And it's worse because this impression is created miscarriages rarely happen. For many the sadness is compounded by the fear they did something wrong when it's most likely just a pure chance and nothing you did and didn't do.

Yes we all deal with miscarriages differently but I bet that if you ask your friend he will tell you he knew very little about miscarriage, what happens and how often it happens before it happened to him and his partner. It doesn't mean he needed to talk about it but it does help when someone does just to get the information out.
    I know more about miscarriage from listening to today's programme than I did from becoming a Dad. I think for a lot of us, we didn't want to tempt fate by even exploring that possibility, so I can only imagine how it can leave one reeling when it happens.

My heart goes out to anyone in that position. As you say, everyone will deal with it differently. I was very taken by one of the callers on the Ciara Kelly show today, who said that she felt she needed to get pregnant again as soon as possible. She clarified that she didn't want to replace her lost child, but felt an urge to complete a pregnancy.

It's possibly a biological instinct, and like most such instincts, laden with emotion and difficult to describe. How any couple, or any person, can go through that alone I just cannot even comprehend.

Think that it's obvious that while the show topic doesn't particularly resonate with me (not sure if that is a good or a bad thing) that it is a very relevant topic for many people.

Hopefully these people will continue to benefit from hearing it or contributing to it which I imagine might be cathartic for some. I think I heard them say that on Thursday the focus will move slightly to consider men in the conversation on fertility.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Nothing on Ciara talking about male fertility issues today?

People probably weren’t listening, coincidentally, but they’ll all be listening when she covers something they want to bitch and moan about, no doubt.

Faugheen wrote: »

People probably weren’t listening, coincidentally, but they’ll all be listening when she covers something they want to bitch and moan about, no doubt.

This thread has been quiet all week to be fair.

Didn't hear much of todays show but did hear a guy's email read out who wanted to be a father but his wife cannot go through the physical and mental pain of failing at IVF anymore and will not adopt.

Very difficult thing with that type of pain is that it will never really go away.

Faugheen wrote:

Hasn't it been the same type of topic all week? Women with fertility issues, men with fertility issues, couples with fertility issues, miscarriage etc.

We had our own miscarriage ar 8 years ago but to be honest nothing in this week's show interested me. Not a criticism of the show, it just didn't interest me at all. Tuned into NOVA each day this week after listening to Ciaras show for a few minutes. Then on to RTE1 news at one & if I was still in the van I stayed turned to the "moan to Joe" show

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Hasn't it been the same type of topic all week? Women with fertility issues, men with fertility issues, couples with fertility issues, miscarriage etc.

We had our own miscarriage ar 8 years ago but to be honest nothing in this week's show interested me. Not a criticism of the show, it just didn't interest me at all. Tuned into NOVA each day this week after listening to Ciaras show for a few minutes. Then on to RTE1 news at one & if I was still in the van I stayed turned to the "moan to Joe" show

Likewise. I had 4 miscarriages and also lost a child, thankfully I have 2 remaining children. The miscarriages were sad but certainly didn't traumatise me. I guess I thought it was just part of the whole journey of being a parent. My mother also had numerous miscarriages in her time but had 6 children too. None of these things were discussed as much in the past. You just got on with it and in time is a healer in most things (not so much in the death of a child).

While the show didn't interest me much either I would be hugely sympathetic to couples trying to have even one baby. It must be heartbreaking. Its a huge drive in most people to have a baby and that desire can take over your life for a very long time. Not easy to finally close the chapter on it.

I also think its a very personal thing for a couple, not something everyone wants to talk about. That's ok. There is a tendency in media these days that absolutely everything needs to be recognised, talked about and society is "bad" for not facilitating this. I'm not sure I agree. Not everything needs to be talked about publicly.

When I lost my daughter the only people I wanted to talk to were other bereaved parents, not people in general. Most of my family wouldn't even know I also had 4 miscarriages. The whole area of miscarriage is very personal. On the whole most people get over miscarriages in time. I would recommend counselling if you need to talk, rather than just hoping people at work and family will be able to give you the support you need. A lot of people aren't comfortable or good with such emotional subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Didn't I get the surprise of my life today to tune in and find that Newstalk were now suddenly pro life. It's seems like the value of the unborn child has a value that fluctuates more than BitCoin within the environs of Newstalk towers.

Didn't I get the surprise of my life today to tune in and find that Newstalk were now suddenly pro life. It's seems like the value of the unborn child has a value that fluctuates more than BitCoin within the environs of Newstalk towers.

I wasn't aware NT had declared a station wide position on the topic.

Also, they have previously given plenty of airtime to pro life advocates.

That's just nonsense. Miscarriage/abortion can be what you want it to be. It can be saying goodbye to hopes and desires you had for the child, it can be realization you are never going to have children, it can be a relief, it can be dread of process itself. It's up to the person or couple not up to you or Newstalk to decide. And it's certainly not about small minded bitter people who think everyone should have the same position on wanted or unwanted pregnancy as them.

Lost opportunity today I thought. A few minutes talking about the passing of Phil Lynnotts mum would have been a good start to the show. It could have opened a conversation about drugs. This lady gave talks in schools and prisons about drugs. It would be great excuse to play a Phil Lynnott song if nothing else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The show is like a car crash in slow motion today and I can't escape but time for lunch. Compulsory teaching through Irish in all National schools and voting for expats in Presidential elections...ugh!

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The show is like a car crash in slow motion today and I can't escape but time for lunch. Compulsory teaching through Irish in all National schools and voting for expats in Presidential elections...ugh!

Yes she pushed her idea of Irish in schools for close to an hour. Here's a few problems with her idea.

It's totally unfair to anyone with learning disabilities. This will actually make it even harder for people with autism, dyslexia etc to learn.

The children of Irish families returning home from living abroad at age 10 to 16 will never be able to learn in school if everything is taught in Irish & they have never done Irish.

My own parents were taught through Irish 70 or 80 years ago & they never spoke a word of Irish in conversation so I don't think it's the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Yes she pushed her idea of Irish in schools for close to an hour. Here's a few problems with her idea.

It's totally unfair to anyone with learning disabilities. This will actually make it even harder for people with autism, dyslexia etc to learn.

The children of Irish families returning home from living abroad at age 10 to 16 will never be able to learn in school if everything is taught in Irish & they have never done Irish.

My own parents were taught through Irish 70 or 80 years ago & they never spoke a word of Irish in conversation so I don't think it's the answer.

I mean, if you completely ignore the fact that those groups you identify are already exempt from Irish-language (and in fact for learning disabilities potentially all foreign language requirements) already and would be under the system that was discussed.

I mean, if you completely ignore the fact that those groups you identify are already exempt from Irish-language (and in fact for learning disabilities potentially all foreign language requirements) already and would be under the system that was discussed.
    Yes, but the proposal was that all mainstream primaries should teach trí mheán na Gaeilge, ie become Gaelscoileanna. So that would lead to some genuine problems with access to education for students with special needs.

I still think it's a great idea, if we can come up with the resources (sufficiently fluent primary-teachers, and a big cartload of extra SNAs)

How Polish or Lithuanian kids with no or very little English cope? I think a few subjects as P. E., religion could be easily done in Irish.

Main languages I learned in school are English and German. My English was ok even before I moved to Ireland because I used it and read books in English, my German is almost non existent because I never really needed to use it. I'm not Irish so I don't have emotional attachment to the language but Irish have to decide if they want to keep the language alive and use it or do you want to let it die (like Latin for example). Teaching a language all through the school years and at the end almost nobody being able to converse in is very poor use of time.

Today they are in a regular classroom with the same teacher as kids without leaving disability. Under Ciaras great idea they will need a separate teacher & separate classroom.

Today they are in a regular classroom with the same teacher as kids without leaving disability. Under Ciaras great idea they will need a separate teacher & separate classroom.

Isn't that an argument to dumb down the education so that the special needs kids can follow it? Just to ad, I'm not against kids with special needs to be in the class but they have assistants for that.

meeeeh wrote:
    Isn't that an argument to dumb down the education so that the special needs kids can follow it?

No. Every child is entitled to an education. The education system is already slanted in favour of kids that do well in exams. These aren't necessarily the most intelligent in the class yet they do well in exams.

There must be 10 percent or more exempt from Irish. Schools might need 25 percent more teachers & rooms if they start teaching in Irish.

No. Every child is entitled to an education. The education system is already slanted in favour of kids that do well in exams. These aren't necessarily the most intelligent in the class yet they do well in exams.

There must be 10 percent or more exempt from Irish. Schools might need 25 percent more teachers & rooms if they start teaching in Irish.
    can it really be as high as 10%?

During my primary and secondary education, I only met a handful who had gotten an exemption (always foreign-born kids). This was in the 1990s and early noughties.

Admittedly, there's now a growing consciousness in the medical community of autism spectrum disorders and other learning difficulties, but I'm surprised to read it might be as high as 10%.

• Advertisement

Admittedly, there's now a growing consciousness in the medical community of autism spectrum disorders and other learning difficulties, but I'm surprised to read it might be as high as 10%.

I'm guessing 10 percent. This would include learning difficulties and kids not born in Ireland. Kids not born in Ireland also include the 1000s of kids with Irish parents returning home from Australia

The cost of teaching 90 percent in Irish and then needing duplicate classes for the remaining 10 percent will be huge. You also have to ask what the end result will be. It's not a new idea. My parents generation were taught everything but English through Irish yet we didn't end up with Irish speakers. Ciaras own parents would have been taught every subject through Irish yet she's not an Irish speaker.

Seems like a huge financial investment for a tiny return. Teaching through Irish is only successful in families where the pa actually want to speak Irish and actually want their kids to speak Irish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement