Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pocophone F1 - The new flagship killer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Looking to a) buy a replacement screen for my old Pocophone b) but a new pocophone for a family member.

Where are people buying the above now?
    I did use Honorbuy but they seem to be out of stock of phones.

I got an OnePlus 7 Pro to replace, but I do miss my old poco

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭mondeo

Anyone using a custom ROM ? I think I want to get rid of Miui, I don't trust it. The Miui SMS app was asking me to confirm my identity today for some reason.... I couldn't send an SMS until I agreed to confirm my phone number ? Where is my info going to ? somwhere in China ? I had to reboot the phone to get rid of the request. Other system apps are being updated from other sources on a regular basis to. Think I've had enough of this.

Think I'll try Lineage, suppose to be great with OTA support to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Also interested from those who flashed away from Miui

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Where's the go to place to buy a pocophone now online?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Euglobal is where I got mine, takes 10-14 days to deliver though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Amazon.it (buying from a seller fulfilled by amazon) around the same price or a small bit more expensive than eGlobal but with quicker shipping (€8 something) and better customer care.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

mondeo wrote: »
    Anyone using a custom ROM ? I think I want to get rid of Miui, I don't trust it. The Miui SMS app was asking me to confirm my identity today for some reason.... I couldn't send an SMS until I agreed to confirm my phone number ? Where is my info going to ? somwhere in China ? I had to reboot the phone to get rid of the request. Other system apps are being updated from other sources on a regular basis to. Think I've had enough of this.

Think I'll try Lineage, suppose to be great with OTA support to.

Bloody hell, I've just logged on to see if anyone else was experiencing this.

Even the stock browser has started to give me random notifications, this is roughly 6 months after I bought the thing, so wondering is it written into the rom somewhere?

Even the stock browser has started to give me random notifications, this is roughly 6 months after I bought the thing, so wondering is it written into the rom somewhere?
    Did you debloat the phone with the ADB tool?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Amazon.it (buying from a seller fulfilled by amazon) around the same price or a small bit more expensive than eGlobal but with quicker shipping (€8 something) and better customer care.

Does it matter if you order the IT ES or DE version instead of the Uk one?

Assume its just the plug?

Just smashed my J5 on a stone floor by accident today would like to have a new phone by early next week.

Does it matter if you order the IT ES or DE version instead of the Uk one?

Assume its just the plug?

Just smashed my J5 on a stone floor by accident today would like to have a new phone by early next week.

Doesn't matter it's just the plug, the UK is usually the most expensive and IT/ES cheapest

• Advertisement

Did you debloat the phone with the ADB tool?

No, but just googled it, and it looks like something I should've done aaaages ago. Doh. :P

These are the instructions I used, the tool that is linked to is quite handy.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/debloat

These are the instructions I used, the tool that is linked to is quite handy.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/debloat

Legend

Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Doesn't matter it's just the plug, the UK is usually the most expensive and IT/ES cheapest

Cheers for that just ordered it, not bad when the equivalent price will get you a mid range samsung , which I found awful, blessing in disguise I hope.

Pain having no phone though for few days , tend to break rather than keep and upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

My first question would be: What you all doing using the built-in apps?

All ads can be turned off app by app in their individual settings. Be warned tho, I use google messages as my default text app and the phone sees this as a 'security issue' and wants to get you to change it back evey time a scan is run... You can tell the phone to not alert you about it but it will always record the warning anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭positron

Thank you for mentioning debloat, I will do that too (haven't seen any suspicious stuff like others but still, might as well)..

Does anyone else have issues with the headphone socket? When I plug earphone it jumps back out a tiny bit and either completely disconnects, or works at a fraction of the volume level. I have already tried different earphones just in case if it was the due to a worn down male plug...

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

Hi,

dropped my redmi in the sink last night, gutted, nearly three years old and still happy with it,

Ordered the Pocofone on Amazon this morning, went with them as wanted it as quick as possible, also stated that it was "sold and fulfilled by Amazon", so thought this was the best option even though it was more expensive,

Stated on page that there were three in stock, ordered the 128gb version, a screen protector and a case,
    Right away i got the email confirming order, on my account page it gave me the usual info of when my items would arrive, option to cancel etc,
    However this was only for the protector and cover, under the phone it said "we cant give you a delivery date just yet etc",

Didn't like the sound of this so tried to cancel, got an email saying i cant cancel until item is dispatched (even though i can do exactly that with the other two items, as has always been the case on amazon,)

After a few web chats and a call from customer service, it seems pretty obvious that the phone is not in stock, so now i have no option but to wait for a phone, which isn't in stock, to be dispatched just so i can send it back to receive a refund, so have literally no clue when i will receive the phone,

lady on the phone says ring back on Monday if phone hasn't dispatched and we will cancel order, so i asked if you can cancel on Monday why cant you cancel today?, no answer to that,

And it seems from looking at my bank account that the charge has been taken for the phone but not the other two items!

This is so frustrating but i cant think of any other options, i would almost prefer to send an email but it seems they nearly want to steer you away from that because i dont see an option for it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭positron

That's poor form from Amazon. Usually they only charge your account if they are dispatching the item.

That is more than poor form, it's the opposite of every other shopping experience I've ever had with them. do you have a link to the exact phone you ordered?

That is more than poor form, it's the opposite of every other shopping experience I've ever had with them. do you have a link to the exact phone you ordered?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JHY3V66/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the phone, still saying its in stock even though its not,
    I spent extra because Amazon are usually brilliant to deal with, even though i had doubts when they were listing the OS as android instead of Miui,

It also said delivery would take longer than normal but thought it would be quicker than the likes of Ali express,

I was googling earlier and seen a lad posting a few years back about the exact same problem, dont know it ended up though,

Frustrating because i cant even go and order it from somewhere else because the money is in limbo in my account

• Advertisement

That is messed up, i've never had a situation with Amazon where I couldn't cancel an item unless it had been dispatched. It's saying delivery by Friday 05 July for me (with prime) though.

edit: get onto them on the phone and kick up a fuss, ask for a supervisor, they are usually pretty good and may even give you a discount for the inconvenience.

That is messed up, i've never had a situation with Amazon where I couldn't cancel an item unless it had been dispatched. It's saying delivery by Friday 05 July for me (with prime) though.

edit: get onto them on the phone and kick up a fuss, ask for a supervisor, they are usually pretty good and may even give you a discount for the inconvenience.

I signed up for a week long trial on prime to try and get it quicker, was applied to the other order, but no mention of it on the phone order,

Scoured the web looking for an email address, eventually got one, this was the reply,

Hello,

I'm sorry for the problem you had with shipment received. That's definitely not what we want our customers to experience.​

I would've assisted with resolution of your convenience but since the order was placed in Amazon.co.uk, we do not have the access to the order information.

Kindly be informed, because our partner sites Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk work independently, we do not have access to your account information. I hope you understand our limitations in this regard.

To correct this, I request you to contact our partner site Amazon.co.uk customer support using the link below and they'll be able to resolve the issue right away.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html

Please be assured that we are here to make things easier and we will make every effort to provide the best support you expect from us.​

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

That link just sends me back to web chat or ringing customer service again, exactly where i was this morning

https://giant.gfycat.com/InfantilePalatableDore.webm

Im thinking if i get the money refunded ill order from Eglobal, its on there for 320 euro,

is it a trustworthy site?
    never ordered from there before

I signed up for a week long trial on prime to try and get it quicker, was applied to the other order, but no mention of it on the phone order,

Scoured the web looking for an email address, eventually got one, this was the reply,

Hello,

I'm sorry for the problem you had with shipment received. That's definitely not what we want our customers to experience.​

I would've assisted with resolution of your convenience but since the order was placed in Amazon.co.uk, we do not have the access to the order information.

Kindly be informed, because our partner sites Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk work independently, we do not have access to your account information. I hope you understand our limitations in this regard.

To correct this, I request you to contact our partner site Amazon.co.uk customer support using the link below and they'll be able to resolve the issue right away.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html

Please be assured that we are here to make things easier and we will make every effort to provide the best support you expect from us.​

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

That link just sends me back to web chat or ringing customer service again, exactly where i was this morning

https://giant.gfycat.com/InfantilePalatableDore.webm

If you choose the ringing customer service option they will call you. That's where you get to escalate it to a supervisor. Did this with a gfx card that they kept shifting the date on and ended up with 30% off of it for my inconvenience.

god's toy wrote: »
    My first question would be: What you all doing using the built-in apps?

All ads can be turned off app by app in their individual settings. Be warned tho, I use google messages as my default text app and the phone sees this as a 'security issue' and wants to get you to change it back evey time a scan is run... You can tell the phone to not alert you about it but it will always record the warning anyway.

I'm not using any of them, but even as I type this out there are notifications for "Mii video" something about cricket highlights. "Mii browser" and a good news story about central govt civil servants (india) and there was a third one which I inadvertently swiped away before I could get a chance to see what it said.

I'm definitely debloating it just as soon as I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭mondeo

I applied for the bootloader unlock code on Xiaomi site, going to flash Lineage on it soon as I get it unlocked.

I applied for the bootloader unlock code on Xiaomi site, going to flash Lineage on it soon as I get it unlocked.

I'm sure you're aware, but just in case, you know that your bank apps etc. will probably not work out of the box on lineage, you'll have to jump through some hoops to get them going.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

I did the same first time I got the phone ... That was nearly 9 months ago and here I am still running miui, I don't have any problems with it and I had lineageos on my previous phone, never rooted or flashed it and probably still won't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭sioda

Have the poco since early on and have never had any pop-ups or notifications from any app.

I don't think I've ever opened any of the stock apps. Gotta say it's been a great phone my only gripe being a lack of USA bands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yep make sure MSA is turned off in the permissions and you will be ad-free.

Having said that, depending on which country you tell the phone it's in will directly affect if ads are shown at all but you should still turn off its background tracking shenanigans anyway.

More info:

https://www.indiatoday.in/technology/features/story/xiaomi-miui-system-apps-now-show-ads-but-you-can-turn-them-off-here-is-how-1342896-2018-09-18

Advertisement