Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pocophone F1 - The new flagship killer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

god's toy wrote: »
    Yep make sure MSA is turned off in the permissions and you will be ad-free.

Having said that, depending on which country you tell the phone it's in will directly affect if ads are shown at all but you should still turn off its background tracking shenanigans anyway.

More info:

https://www.indiatoday.in/technology/features/story/xiaomi-miui-system-apps-now-show-ads-but-you-can-turn-them-off-here-is-how-1342896-2018-09-18

I have a Xiaomi Note 4 and it doesn't allow me to revoke permissions

Appreciate it's a different phone, but wonder if it the same on Pocophone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

abarkie wrote: »
    I have a Xiaomi Note 4 and it doesn't allow me to revoke permissions

Appreciate it's a different phone, but wonder if it the same on Pocophone
    Interesting, maybe they changed it on some phones now. I have the phoco and you can kill the MSA permission (I did from day one) and going into each system app one by one and turning off ads is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

If you choose the ringing customer service option they will call you. That's where you get to escalate it to a supervisor. Did this with a gfx card that they kept shifting the date on and ended up with 30% off of it for my inconvenience.

I got an email on Friday night saying the pocophone had been dispatched, when ordering phone it said i would receive by Friday but now due to be delivered tomorrow so delighted with that,
    Dont know if they sped up the delivery because i complained or not,

Checked the tracking, went from the UK to Germany, then on to Dublin?,

but dont care how it gets here, as long as it gets here!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

In regard to custom roms, I've used Pixel Expreience, Nitrogen OS, and Havoc OS. TBH I find them all about as similar to each other. Pixel is a bit sparser for configuration. I've dipped back into MIUI to see have I noticed any difference, but there's not much in it. I am finding the poco launcher seems to slow down a bit sometimes.

I think I'll head back to Nitrogen actually.

Currently on MIUI, and didn't notice any ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Any sign of a poco f2

• Advertisement

I got an email on Friday night saying the pocophone had been dispatched, when ordering phone it said i would receive by Friday but now due to be delivered tomorrow so delighted with that,
    Dont know if they sped up the delivery because i complained or not,

Checked the tracking, went from the UK to Germany, then on to Dublin?,

but dont care how it gets here, as long as it gets here!

Phone got as far as Dublin, been returned to Amazon, because i cancelled it on friday when i realised it wasnt in stock (and was told i couldnt cancel)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

sioda wrote: »
    Any sign of a poco f2

wouldn't be worth upgrading unless you never had the original one. Yearly upgrades are pointless imo

Has the Netflix hd issue been sorted on pocophone, or can it even be sorted?

Has the Netflix hd issue been sorted on pocophone, or can it even be sorted?

Yes it has been sorted recently on an OTA

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

mondeo wrote: »
    wouldn't be worth upgrading unless you never had the original one. Yearly upgrades are pointless imo

even a year later this phone is still an extremely worth it economically.

it hasnt dropped in price at all really.... with most places still having it in the region of €300... and thats still great value for the SD 845....

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »

it hasnt dropped in price at all really.... with most places still having it in the region of €300... and thats still great value for the SD 845....

855 isn't drawing the line compared to it, a marginal upgrade at best. I have the Pocophone since February, no intention in upgrading anytime soon. I'll pass on the Poco 2, if they make a 3rd model then I would go for it for sure.

it's 252 on eglobal

glasso wrote: »
    it's 252 on eglobal

i know that.... i said "most places"

its available for a lot more than €300 in other places

i know that.... i said "most places"

its available for a lot more than €300 in other places

"most people" would buy it at the best price though!

"most people" would buy it at the best price though!

despite the fact I didnt say "most people"... so i dont know why your putting it into quotations....

but actually no.... if you read back through this and many other sites selling Chinese phones like this, youll see that a lot of people generally dont want to wait the 3 - 4 week delivery time from eglobal standard delivery, so they either order with a faster and more expensive delivery, or they order off a european based store

just flick back through the last few pages and youll see the usual price people have paid for this phone lately has been in the region of €300

i put it in " " as you were doing

it's 10 to 12 days from eglobal for most items and I've never had to wait longer and have received some products in a week.

when a product is in high demand at the outset it can be longer but that would not be the case now

Hard to beat boards.ie for a pointless argument

i put it in " " as you were doing

" " are called Quotation marks.....

they are used when you quote something... and i used them to emphasize the fact i was quoting where i said "most places" (see, i did it again there)

you shouldnt have used quotation marks in your post... as you werent quoting any previous post.

anyway... as i said.. its available in most places in the region of €300

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1AZAA_enIE750IE750&tbm=shop&q=pocophone&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwip0omK-JjjAhVFiVwKHbhnArYQBQjtAigA&biw=1920&bih=969

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

" " are called Quotation marks.....

they are used when you quote something... and i used them to emphasize the fact i was quoting where i said "most places" (see, i did it again there)

you shouldnt have used quotation marks in your post... as you werent quoting any previous post.

anyway... as i said.. its available in most places in the region of €300

Rein it in there Supercilious Syd.

The "" symbols have many more uses other than to simply denote that you are quoting something and Glasso's usage potentially falls under at least a couple of these usage categories...

Usage
    1.1 Quotations and speech
    1.2 Irony
    1.3 Signaling unusual usage
    1.4 Use–mention distinction
    1.5 Titles of artistic works
    1.6 Nicknames and false titles
    1.7 Emphasis (incorrect usage)

Rein it in there Supercilious Syd.

The "" symbols have many more uses other than to simply denote that you are quoting something and Glasso's usage potentially falls under at least a couple of these usage categories...

Usage

1.2 Irony

indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

This arrived yesterday. Really impressed seems like a premium phone for a third of the price.

My housemate has a oneplus6 it reminds me a lot of that.

Only bug bear is that after restoring from google photos a lot of photos from whatsapp were given 4th of July for date taken, around a year and a half's images all for the same date :P prob my fault some how though.

Poco arriving today from amazon, first thing I plan on doing is usin the de-bloating tool mentioned in this thread,
    Is this totally safe though? And does it void the warranty if pre installed apps are removed?

Poco arriving today from amazon, first thing I plan on doing is usin the de-bloating tool mentioned in this thread,
    Is this totally safe though? And does it void the warranty if pre installed apps are removed?

Anyone?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Anyone?!?

I've used it with no problems, just read through the info on the links and decide what xiaomi apps you want to remove. I kept a couple but the tool is only supposed to remove ones that can be removed safely.

Warranty should be fine, you don't even need to root the phone to run the tool and even if a problem was encountered you could just put the apps back on or do a factory reset.

I'm thinking of going to the dark side and picking up a Oneplus 7 pro :(. I like my Pocophone, but seen a demo of the 7 pro today and its an amazing piece of equipment. That 90hz amoled display, my god it's a piece of art. Makes my Pocophone look like a babies toy. I might wait and see what the Pocophone F2 is going to be like before going 7 pro route. Great thing about the Poco is the price v performance... Still today nothing can touch it. What to do, what to do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

mondeo wrote: »
    I'm thinking of going to the dark side and picking up a Oneplus 7 pro :(. I like my Pocophone, but seen a demo of the 7 pro today and its an amazing piece of equipment. That 90hz amoled display, my god it's a piece of art. Makes my Pocophone look like a babies toy. I might wait and see what the Pocophone F2 is going to be like before going 7 pro route. Great thing about the Poco is the price v performance... Still today nothing can touch it. What to do, what to do :(
    Even when the P2 comes out and despite everything going for it ('for the price') it won't have a 90HZ screen and almost nothing will compare once you experienced it, also, nothing will kill your battery faster once you use it.

I'm going the Zenfone 6 this time around and hoping more use 90Hz panels next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭Cotts72

god's toy wrote: »
    Even when the P2 comes out and despite everything going for it ('for the price') it won't have a 90HZ screen and almost nothing will compare once you experienced it, also, nothing will kill your battery faster once you use it.

I'm going the Zenfone 6 this time around and hoping more use 90Hz panels next year.

Was very swayed by the one plus 7 pro but the camera appears to be the only downside hence why I haven't pulled the trigger yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Got the notification earlier that the big software update was available for download (not sure of number but it's the one that allows 4K 60FPS recording and the upgrade for widevine).

Downloaded it, battery was at about 90%, said it needed to reboot so I clicked the option to reboot and the phone basically just shut down (no reboot and no indication of charging when plugged in).

left it idle for about 15 minutes just in case it was doing something in the background but still no response to button presses etc.

Eventually had to hold in the power and volume up buttons, after about 10 seconds of holding them in the screen came up and it's currently installing the update.

Just wanted to let you know in case any of you encounter the same issue.

Patch appears to have applied OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Is nobody opting for the redmi k20 pro/MI 9T pro.

I heard it's going to be the Poco 2 but can't confirm.

Even so the price of the Xiaomi and redmi version make it look like it's a very attractive alternative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

These are the instructions I used, the tool that is linked to is quite handy.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/debloat

Obviously I'm doing something wrong lads, download the tool.
    Downloaded ADB drivers
    Enabled usb debugging on phone
    Booted phone into ADB mode (is this the screen where it says fast boot or something similar?)

Tool doesn't find phone. :mad:

Tried different usb leads, and different ports on the laptop but nothing.

It's probably something simple, but it's my head done in.

Advertisement