Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Rennaws wrote: »
    Enda was as weak a leader as you’ll find and Leo consistently demonstrates that he isn’t far behind.

FG had Richard Bruton go for leadership and the party opted for Enda, that said everything about them as a party.

The top two in FG are lining themselves up for jobs in the EU now and **** the Irish people

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Trumps gone, Metallica's gig has been done, and what's the headline in the indo again?

'Easy money tempts best of people' - Minister hits out at exaggerated insurance claims
    Compensation is seen as “easy money” that tempts even the “best of people” into making unwarranted claims, the minister responsible for reforming the sector admits.

Michael D’Arcy said there are now “dozens and dozens of exaggerated claims” for every fraudulent one because people see an opportunity to cash in.

He warned that many respectable people would never dream of taking a case against a family member, but businesses are seen as a legitimate target.

The stark admission from the minister demonstrates the scale of compensation culture that has been allowed to develop in Ireland.

Insurance claims have become a huge issue for the Government – not least because of the controversy surrounding TDs taking claims

Fine Gael’s Maria Bailey recently withdrew her claim against the Dean Hotel, Dublin, after suing for injuries following a fall from a swing.

Her colleague Alan Farrell has also had to defend his actions, insisting he took a legitimate personal injuries claim after suffering whiplash in a collision

This week will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

So we're all to blame says the minister. Well minister, respectfully, you can PFO. we are not all cheating, lying, claim exagerators putting our hand into someone else's pocket to take money that doesn't belong to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭AbdulAbhaile

So we're all to blame says the minister. We'll minister, respectfully, you can PFO. we are not all cheating, lying, claim exagerators putting our hand into someone else's pocket to take money that doesn't belong to us.
    In fairness he didn't say it was all of us, he said even the best. Claim scammers were considered pond scum until a few weeks ago but they have been rehabilitated into the best people now that we see that Leo's team is populated with the same former pond scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Suckit wrote: »
    Imagine businesses started to turn her away for fear that she may sue and potentially force the business to close down, should she fall off the toilet due to the lack of instructions and supervision.
    Citing 'management have the right to refuse admission'.
    :eek::D
    Possibly not the enemy you would want on one hand, but potentially the best publicity your business could get, on the other.
    It would probably be better if a load of businesses decided to do it together..

They could include Farrell, and possibly a few more.
    They would find a way of pursuing legal recourse for “discrimination” of some kind.
    Discriminating against the no-ethics minority?

• Advertisement

Shemale wrote: »
    Homeless me bollix, all of them have families that made them "homeless", I have no sympathy for people that dont work looking for handouts or people that took out mortgages they couldnt afford.

Priorities should be disabled people, health, education and child and elderly care services.
    if you look at expenditure rates, in terms of aggregate spending or personal payment rates, those are the priorities, with the exception of childcare which is broadly ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

if you look at expenditure rates, in terms of aggregate spending or personal payment rates, those are the priorities, with the exception of childcare which is broadly ignored.

Go ‘way with yer facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭ArrBee

This will remain a problem while part or a payout is to address "inconvenience".

Sure, claim for out of pocket and future costs associated with an incident, but as long as courts award money to cover inconveniences or "stress, humiliation, etc" there will always be people lining up to profit from a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

ArrBee wrote: »
    This will remain a problem while part or a payout is to address "inconvenience".

Sure, claim for out of pocket and future costs associated with an incident, but as long as courts award money to cover inconveniences or "stress, humiliation, etc" there will always be people lining up to profit from a claim.

But what about when your humanity is crossed?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭ArrBee

But what about when your humanity is crossed?

Then someone better hold my drink while I open a can of whoopass on...

Ahh, wrong tangent.
    Sorry.

I'd say if someone crossed my humanity, I'd be hoping that they then proceeded to dot their own.
    Or you know what, maybe my humanity needed crossing cos I was a stooped cnut anyway. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Bored, I had another read over the transcript.

I was injured. I am the one who suffered an injury. I never claimed for compensation.
    She did, or at least was trying to.

Sean I’m not a legal person, I took legal advice on this and I put every faith into that legal system and I was told I had a clear cut case.
    For what? She wasn't claiming for compensation... :confused:

I asked a number of months back ‘is this worth the hassle?’ because to be honest I just want to get on with my life ... I was told ‘you have nothing to fear’, and I distinctly asked ‘when will this information become public?’ so I can prepare myself for it being out there.
    And I was told ‘this will not be public until you are before the courts’ and I was perfectly fine with that.

Of course she was "perfectly fine" with it not being made public.. :rolleyes:
    Is not looking for compensation worth the hassle? To what?
    compensation
    /kɒmpɛnˈseɪʃ(ə)n,kɒmp(ə)nˈseɪʃ(ə)n/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    noun: compensation

something, typically money, awarded to someone in recognition of loss, suffering, or injury.
    "he is seeking compensation for injuries suffered at work"
    synonyms: recompense, repayment, payment, reimbursement, remuneration, requital, indemnification, indemnity, redress, satisfaction; More
    damages, reparations;
    informalcomp;
    archaicguerdon, meed;
    raresolatium
    "they provide adequate compensation for any costs incurred"
    the action or process of awarding compensation.
    "the compensation of victims"
    something that counterbalances or makes up for an undesirable or unwelcome state of affairs.
    plural noun: compensations
    "the grey streets of London were small compensation for the loss of her beloved Africa"
    the process of concealing or offsetting a psychological difficulty by developing in another direction.
    North American
    the money received by an employee from an employer as a salary or wages.
    "send your CV and current compensation to Executive Search Consultant"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The Indo obviously not going to let this one slide, what with the report due to be concluded this week, I'm seeing this kind of article as a gentle reminder to fg to not get too relaxed thinking people have forgotten it.

IMG-20190610-144254.jpg

I was speaking in terms of the money being thrown at the "homeless crisis"

In the local school support for children with special needs has been steadily been reduced since FG got in, I would prefer the "crisis" money go here.

In terms of CCTV surely it is only GDPR if Maria could be identified from the footage, they could just blur the faces and release it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Healy Eames was another FG chancer who did not pay for motor tax or train tickets. I voted FG in the last 2 elections - I should have listened to some of you fine folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

For once I agree with the Indo, keep it up till we get some proper answers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    For once I agree with the Indo, keep it up till we get some proper answers

This wretch of a fraud should be in jail, not in Government.

If this review doesn't condemn her in the strongest possible terms and the appropriate actions are not taken Leo is going to ensure his name will be forever remembered as the man who led Fine Gael backwards and ruined the party.

He was only ever interested in personal achievement anyway, he has peaked and that is becoming more and more blatantly obvious the longer he is in charge of our country.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

This wretch of a fraud should be in jail, not in Government.

If this review doesn't condemn her in the strongest possible terms and the appropriate actions are not taken Leo is going to ensure his name will be forever remembered as the man who led Fine Gael backwards and ruined the party.

He was only ever interested in personal achievement anyway, he has peaked and that is becoming more and more blatantly obvious the longer he is in charge of our country.

I agree completely.
    But hear me out. He was there for marriage equality. Although he kicked it away from Himself as much as possible he oversaw the 8th being repealed.
    Those are the two biggest societal shifts in Irish history. In three short years.

I have a funny feeling he wants to hang around and oversee a United ireland come about. Not for any republican reasons, just he wants the glowing golden addition to his CV.

That sounds cynical and I don’t mean it to. It’s good to have aspirations.
    But in all this, for him, it’s always about him. And what he can do for him.

If he doesn’t act decisively on Bailey and whoever else is involved he’s done for.
    Best thing he could do is go full strength and root them all out, say that FG expect better standards and this behaviour will not be tolerated. And fire them.
    And of it leads to a GE he’ll get loads of kudos for rooting it out and meeting it head on. FF will never be able to make the same statement.
    Will he though?

Probably not.

I agree completely.
    But hear me out. He was there for marriage equality. Although he kicked it away from Himself as much as possible he oversaw the 8th being repealed.
    Those are the two biggest societal shifts in Irish history. In three short years.

I have a funny feeling he wants to hang around and oversee a United ireland come about. Not for any republican reasons, just he wants the glowing golden addition to his CV.

That sounds cynical and I don’t mean it to. It’s good to have aspirations.
    But in all this, for him, it’s always about him. And what he can do for him.

If he doesn’t act decisively on Bailey and whoever else is involved he’s done for.
    Best thing he could do is go full strength and root them all out, say that FG expect better standards and this behaviour will not be tolerated. And fire them.
    And of it leads to a GE he’ll get loads of kudos for rooting it out and meeting it head on. FF will never be able to make the same statement.
    Will he though?

Probably not.

Ha, is that you Leo?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Ha, is that you Leo?

Haha. I’m not a fan of him trust me on that. I do love and he probably does too what his getting the job symbolises in terms of just how far Ireland has come and how it’s changed for the better.
    The man himself is out his his depth in the job and seems unable to make a decision without a spin unit and a committee.

He probably got the job too early, but he has really capable and skilled backing in Coveney etc

IF there was wen a modicum of talent in opposition, he’d probably be laid bare as the ineffective leader he is.

Sadly ff and fg are the same exact thing and will only ever play at being opponents.

To the greater loss of the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,083 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Although he kicked it away from Himself as much as possible he oversaw the 8th being repealed.

That was all part of the strategy for selling repeal to middle Ireland. I'm sure in private he was foursquare behind it.

That was all part of the strategy for selling repeal to middle Ireland. I'm sure in private he was foursquare behind it.

Not sure. He’d made anti choice/keep things as they are remarks in the Dáil when he had the health brief.

Another great example of him going where the tide of public opinion takes him.
    He follows. He doesn’t lead.

Fair enough at least he listened and got on it. But he certainly didn’t get out in front of it. Kicked it to the Citizens assembly to get the temperature first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Haha. I’m not a fan of him trust me on that. I do love and he probably does too what his getting the job symbolises in terms of just how far Ireland has come and how it’s changed for the better.
    The man himself is out his his depth in the job and seems unable to make a decision without a spin unit and a committee.

He probably got the job too early, but he has really capable and skilled backing in Coveney etc

IF there was wen a modicum of talent in opposition, he’d probably be laid bare as the ineffective leader he is.

Sadly ff and fg are the same exact thing and will only ever play at being opponents.

To the greater loss of the country

He would achieved a lot more if he had to come out prior to getting the job as gay and actually standing with people to fight the change in law....

Repeal the 8th? he done very little as well till the polls suggested it would be a huge vote in one favour and then he jumped on the bandwagon.

Both those votes would have gone the exact same way if you or me ran the country, Leo had nothing to do with them. It was his chance but he blew it...he should of went front and centre.....do a search now for the same sex referendum and it is Panti that comes up, not Leo....that could and should have been Leo and he would have gained a huge amount of votes.....but he didn't....sums him up really

Before and since he has done sweet FA.....housing, drugs, hospital etc etc, one crisis to another.....

He will never bridge a United Ireland, not a hope, what would suggest he would have the bargaining power to put it together? he can't even manage a couple of clowns in his own party.

http://highcourtsearch.courts.ie/hcslive/case_search.show?sessionId=1843330885&yearNo=&recordNo=&processType=&plaintiffSurname=Darcy&plaintiffFirstName=Michael&dependantSurname=&dependantFirstName=&setDownType=&setDownNo=&setDownNoX=&setDownVenue=&courtListDate=&listType=&appealCourtRef=&supremeCourtRef=&actionButton=Search

When the terms “Michael” and “Darcy” are entered in Plaintiff fields of High Court Search, quite a lot of results come up, but exactly who these relate to/what they are for I wouldn’t know from the courts website.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He would achieved a lot more if he had to come out prior to getting the job as gay and actually standing with people to fight the change in law....

Repeal the 8th? he done very little as well till the polls suggested it would be a huge vote in one favour and then he jumped on the bandwagon.

Both those votes would have gone the exact same way if you or me ran the country, Leo had nothing to do with them. It was his chance but he blew it...he should of went front and centre.....

Before and since he has done sweet FA.....housing, drugs, hospital etc etc, one crisis to another.....

He will never bridge a United Ireland, not a hope, what would suggest he would have the bargaining power to put it together? he can't even manage a couple of clowns in his own party.

I think that’s what I was saying. I totally agree with you.
    I’m not saying he has the chops to oversee UI. But he’s just the mouthpiece in that. The many many brass tacks in that are done by everyone beneath him. They just have to implement what the people vote for.
    Mainly civil service who feed him what he has to say. And he’s overfond of Comittees.
    That’s one scenario that they would be useful I reckon.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Ah symbolism, are you worrying over Brits reading the Daily Mail and bible thumpers worldwide. Who cares what the world and media think? All that matters is if he can do the job or not and you don’t believe he cannot

I agree but it matters here. Doesn’t matter a bit what the world thinks.
    It’s changed attitudes here. For the large majority’s part.
    It has hardened that certain faction of Who are against the progress we’ve made.
    But they’re a dying breed and getting louder. But their numbers are diminishing.

This was something that hat means a lot here. It’s of no matter how it is viewed elsewhere

I agree but it matters here. Doesn’t matter a bit what the world thinks.
    It’s changed attitudes here. For the large majority’s part.
    It has hardened that certain faction of Who are against the progress we’ve made.
    But they’re a dying breed and getting louder. But their numbers are diminishing.

This was something that hat means a lot here. It’s of no matter how it is viewed elsewhere

What, are ya on about?

What, are ya on about?

I was replying to the post following yours. Sorry.

I was replying to the post following yours. Sorry.

I was aware of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Shemale wrote: »
    In terms of CCTV surely it is only GDPR if Maria could be identified from the footage, they could just blur the faces and release it.
    Not true - the whole country knows that she's the one falling off the swing, so blurring would not hide her identity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement