Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Wouldn’t say inadequacy.
    They’ve been quite sharp and sinister when it comes to cooking the books on unemployment figures for example.

Recently SW passed my details on to a private company they hired called seetec. If I don’t engage with seetec my payment gets cut off.
    I happily engaged and got on a course I wanted and couldn’t afford, I’m now ‘off social welfare’ but instead being paid by a company that runs the course who in turn get paid by the European training fund. That’s all good.

Course only has 6 weeks left and I have to re-sign on and engage with seetec again for job placement. Seetec are rather ruthless and will put you in any job just to get their fee from government.

So again, Leo farming out the problems to others and lying about the ‘falling unemployment figures’ just for positive spin and PR. Actively cooking the books.

This is done in staggered stages every couple of months it seems.
    I haven’t yet checked but I’m told seetec are shady at best, (I certainly didn’t agree to my details being handed over to a private company. But GDPR eh?) and they were also ran out of Britain and contract cancelled there by the social there for shady practices. That’s anectdotal for now, I haven’t looked it up yet.

But one thing for sure. They spent huge money on that welfare cheats campaign.
    Surely how they’ve been hoisted by their own arrogance and have to apply the same ruthless approach within their own ranks.

If they don’t...there’ll be hell to pay.

All makes sense now from reading your story.

I should have known and been wiser to not get caught out.

Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I've been on the dole, done courses and the like. Thankfully many years ago now. it's no fun. If it was as handy as the FG'ers make out we'd be all on it sitting in our forever homes....swing set out the back, 'FG TD's swing at own risk' sign in the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I got a laugh from it anyway.

People Before Profit TD Brid Smith delivers swing dig against Maria Bailey
    Ms Smith addressed Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and said: “I hope you don’t mind if I don’t stand up, I have a broken leg.

“But I didn’t fall off a swing and I’m not going to sue anybody.”

However, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar didn’t take the bait carefully laid by Ms Smith.

He simply said: “I’m very sorry to hear about your injury and hope you make a speedy recovery.”

This will be the butt of a lot of jokes for years to come. Leo must be fuming.

I've been on the dole, done courses and the like. Thankfully many years ago now. it's no fun. If it was as handy as the FG'ers make out we'd be all on it sitting in our forever homes....swing set out the back, 'FG TD's swing at own risk' sign in the grass.

So you got a job after a course?

Are you saying they are a bad thing?

Sorry don’t understand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Never again.

Excuse me?

Wasn’t trying to catch you out.

What’s your point?

• Advertisement

So you got a job after a course?

Are you saying they are a bad thing?

Sorry don’t understand.

I think you do.
    Being on the dole in general wheels, not fun.
    I never mentioned anything about getting a job.
    FYI many of the courses were generally to make the unemployment figures go down. The best were the CE schemes, two lads working part time, so the employer didn't have to hire one person full time. And the tax payer paid the wages. Great for the employer naturally. An incentive not to hire if you will.

Excuse me?

Wasn’t trying to catch you out.

What’s your point?

Ah see you've an agenda now. Because your opinions are based on life experiences, you're bias so of course you don't like things you don't like...something....

I got a laugh from it anyway.

People Before Profit TD Brid Smith delivers swing dig against Maria Bailey

This will be the butt of a lot of jokes for years to come. Leo must be fuming.

Humour isn’t his forte. He doesn’t have a leg to stand on

Ah see you've an agenda now. Because your opinions are based on life experiences, you're bias so of course you don't like things you don't like...something....

Is that what it is? I’m still not sure.
    Let’s not jump to conclusions.
    Care to enlighten us there wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Good lad, blame the insurance companies, nothing at all to do with "the best people" making dodgy claims just because they are in your gang.

I think it is the Insurance companies too... No doubt they can blame the compo culture.
    I think they feed off each other. The cartel investigation is just investigation motor insurance, but I'm sure if they looked around..

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »
    I think it is the Insurance companies too... No doubt they can blame the compo culture.
    I think they feed off each other. The cartel investigation is just investigation motor insurance, but I'm sure if they looked around..
    Nope every business is closing down because of Maria Bailey, there is no other factors like these insurance companies and how they operate.

Let’s leave out the simple facts just about to score some political goals.

Nothing changes

Nope every business is closing down because of insurance chancers, Gougers on the street, and the likes of Maria Bailey, and Alan Farrel in the Dail, there is no other factors like these insurance companies and how they operate.

Nothing changes

Tidied that post up a wee bit.

Welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Wouldn’t say inadequacy.
    They’ve been quite sharp and sinister when it comes to cooking the books on unemployment figures for example.

Recently SW passed my details on to a private company they hired called seetec. If I don’t engage with seetec my payment gets cut off.
    I happily engaged and got on a course I wanted and couldn’t afford, I’m now ‘off social welfare’ but instead being paid by a company that runs the course who in turn get paid by the European training fund. That’s all good.

Course only has 6 weeks left and I have to re-sign on and engage with seetec again for job placement. Seetec are rather ruthless and will put you in any job just to get their fee from government.

So again, Leo farming out the problems to others and lying about the ‘falling unemployment figures’ just for positive spin and PR. Actively cooking the books.

This is done in staggered stages every couple of months it seems.
    I haven’t yet checked but I’m told seetec are shady at best, (I certainly didn’t agree to my details being handed over to a private company. But GDPR eh?) and they were also ran out of Britain and contract cancelled there by the social there for shady practices. That’s anectdotal for now, I haven’t looked it up yet.

But one thing for sure. They spent huge money on that welfare cheats campaign.
    Surely how they’ve been hoisted by their own arrogance and have to apply the same ruthless approach within their own ranks.

If they don’t...there’ll be hell to pay.

Seetec sound as shady as f u c k. No wonder FG got them in.

But but but FG'ers tell us constantly it's a great life on the dole. "Free houses. holidays to the Costa's, I phone 8's, one even said on here only yesterday every other car in a council estate is a Merc, BMW or get this a Porsche :pac:

Tidied that post up a wee bit.

Welcome.

I actually can’t believe you are able to edit my post and make it look like something I didn’t post.

That is me out, how can I compete with this?

How dare you make out I have said things I haven’t.

I actually can’t believe you are able to edit my post and make it look like something I didn’t post.

That is me out, how can I compete with this?

How dare you make out I have said things I haven’t.

I quite clearly stated that I tidied your post - it happens regularly on the site, only people might prefix it with the "FYP" (well known abbreviation) for "fixed your post". I have sent back and bolded my added text so it stands out.

I'm sure if I was bothered enough I might possiblyeven see evidence of you doing it yourself, maybe not, no Biggie though either way. It's a handy get out clause though - draw a line in the sand, move on etc matter closed and so on and so forth. :)

Precious.

I quite clearly stated that I tidied your post - it happens regularly on the site, only people might prefix it with the "FYP" (well known abbreviation)

I'm sure if I was bothered enough I might possiblyeven see evidence of you doing it yourself, maybe not, no Biggie though either way. It's a handy get out clause though - draw a line in the sand, move on etc matter closed and so on and so forth. :)

No you wouldn’t see evidence of me doing it.

Another lie about what I do and say.

As I said the other day there is no discussion or debating here.

Just abuse, lies and personal slagging.

Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Pathetic.

Complains about abuse and personal slagging....calls someone pathetic

:D :pac:

Pathetic.

I haven't abused you, or lied, I said "might possibly" - you say you have never did so, I'll take you at your word.

You okay? Are the past few weeks getting to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Pathetic.

You sound like someone desperately looking for a way out of this rat hole you’ve found yourself in.

It often happens when you try to defend the indefensible.

No one is abusing you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Nope every business is closing down because of Maria Bailey, there is no other factors like these insurance companies and how they operate.

Nothing changes

Ok let's focus a little here. Tell me what you think of this extract. It has always bothered me. Bear with me.

From the SO'R interview;

MB: I had my beer in my hand, and then I was reaching for my friend’s, I had a bottle of wine, she was taking her camera out of her jacket, I then found myself on the floor.
    MB: I was mortified, I jumped up, because I was just mortified.
    <snip>
    MB: I was told I had a clear cut case.

Huh?? She was mortified (to feel very embarrassed or ashamed) and yet she somehow took someone's word that she had a clear cut case? How could that possibly happen? To a TD? It's quite scary really. Insurance companies must be at the end of their tether with the likes of Bailey/Farrell. How could she admit this on radio? What level of delusion or wanton corruption does that require?

Please explain. I cannot get my head around it. How do you rationalise it?

I haven't abused you, or lied, I said "might possibly" - you say you have never did so, I'll take you at your word.

You okay? Are the past few weeks getting to you?

He had to talk to an unemployed person the other day. The horror. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭AbdulAbhaile

So now we are to believe that poor Maria and Allen are victims of the insurance companies, really.

So to make a political point seeing as that was brought up, and as an early riser who voted for FG in order to keep FF out why shouldn't I, the problem with Irish politics is the "party man" who will excuse anything their crowd do no matter how reprehensible and this is what empowers the Farrels Baileys and Aherns. They know that their useful idiots will come out to bat for them regardless.

Anyway its 5am and I'm off to work so I can pay my taxes and exorbitant insurance bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Basically insurance companies are making more then enough to cover those costs but are happy to make out that’s the reason.

They arent really, I worked for a large Insurer whose target profit was 9% after claims and expenses, they didnt get near it in the 4 years I worked there.

People milking the system are the issue, false claims, solicitors and people trebling their repair costs when they hear insurance.

I knew of a guy who had 7 accidents where he was rear ended in one year, the money put into investigating him was unreal so as not to pay out, 3 were declined before I left the firm and he was threatening to sue for breach of policy, that isnt easy to manage.

Shemale wrote: »
    They arent really, I worked for a large Insurer whose target profit was 9% after claims and expenses, they didnt get near it in the 4 years I worked there.

People milking the system are the issue, false claims, solicitors and people trebling their repair costs when they hear insurance.

I knew of a guy who had 7 accidents where he was rear ended in one year, the money put into investigating him was unreal so as not to pay out, 3 were declined before I left the firm and he was threatening to sue for breach of policy, that isnt easy to manage.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/motor-insurance-hikes-not-reflected-in-claims-data-as-payouts-have-not-risen-significantly-421063.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/opinion/insurance-industry-misleading-public-over-reasons-for-higher-premiums-1.2660988?mode=amp

“Insurance industry figures are claiming increases in the number of personal injury claims are a contributing factor in premium increases, yet published data from the Courts Service Annual Report and the Injuries Board does not support these claims”

Fair enough I’m just going by report like the above and the raids carried out last year by the EU on insurance companies accused of operating like cartels.

But you work in the area so I take your word.

As I said I won’t be voting for FG until Bailey is gone.

Never again.

Still waiting on a reply to this.
    What does it even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/motor-insurance-hikes-not-reflected-in-claims-data-as-payouts-have-not-risen-significantly-421063.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/opinion/insurance-industry-misleading-public-over-reasons-for-higher-premiums-1.2660988%3fmode=amp

“Insurance industry figures are claiming increases in the number of personal injury claims are a contributing factor in premium increases, yet published data from the Courts Service Annual Report and the Injuries Board does not support these claims”

This is only an investigation and all bluster if you ask me, they say "if" it is found to be a cartel and premiums "could" fall. Utter garbage imo even if found to be true I dont know what powers EU have to force private companies to reduce rates, secondly the claims culture would most likely deter any would be companies.

In terms of the report they refer to courts and injuries board but that leaves a huge gap(I think) in the middle where cases have come out of injuries board but get settled before court. Companies preference is to settle before court due to the expense involved in a court case.

More claims were being settled before court as the spiralling costs of a day in court and it is more cost efficient to pay an out of court that is less than the cost of a day in court.

As an aside I left the industry three years ago as the salary was crap and got non stop abuse about the premiums so I have no vested interest in siding with insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Looking like FG are hoping this will be forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Looking like FG are hoping this will be forgotten about.

Don't think it will though.everytime a ridiculous claim hits the papers this will get brought up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Ok let's focus a little here. Tell me what you think of this extract. It has always bothered me. Bear with me.

From the SO'R interview;

MB: I had my beer in my hand, and then I was reaching for my friend’s, I had a bottle of wine, she was taking her camera out of her jacket, I then found myself on the floor.
    MB: I was mortified, I jumped up, because I was just mortified.
    <snip>
    MB: I was told I had a clear cut case.

This part of the interview is particularly relevant and represents the mindset that Maria and her ilk possess. If I fell off that swing similar to Maria with a drink in each hand and landed on my ass, I would sit there and have a good laugh about the situation and I know my friends would too. Now they would ask me if I was ok, but because I can laugh at myself they would join in and I would make a few jokes about it and get on with my night.

However, Ms. Bailey was "mortified", I don't get this, was she mortified about what her "friends" thought of her or the other patrons - why would she care what the other patrons thought. This mindset started the wheels in motion and in the next breath someone, possibly a former FG solicitor allegedly on the scene, said the words "the hotel is liable" and then the night took a different course and hence the episode swing-gate commenced.

Meanwhile, in an alternate universe, my friends and I would be getting on with the night and having another go on the swings.

I will be awaiting the result of Leo's review, however my fear is that it will be buried and MB will retain her seat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement