Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

fat bloke wrote: »
    Where exactly is it that you cycle??

https://youtu.be/zj9a9aEaNnA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

You sure? I sometimes cycle along there, and sometimes use that lane when travelling in the same direction as in the video. There's nothing at that end of it (the end where the video starts) to say that you shouldn't enter it there.
    If it IS a contraflow, where are cyclists travelling in the opposite direction supposed to go when they get to that point? Is that not just an abrupt end for them?
    Am confused!

I’m 100% certain it’s contraflow as is the the same side of the bridge. It then crosses to the eternal flame and up Amiens st.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,872 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

micar wrote: »
    Hence why you should never beep at a pedestrian crossing the road........slow down and let them cross... .much better than them stopping and you knocking them down.
    reminds me of a situation a couple of years ago where i realised (while out in the car) that two teenagers were about to come a cropper; i can't even remember who was at fault, just that there was another car heading for them - and i was about to lay on the horn when i had that 'oh **** if they hear the horn and freeze it'll make it worse' hesitation. by the time i made up my mind, the situation had resolved itself with no-one killed, thankfully. as far as i can remember there were mutual angry gestures with no lessons learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

micar wrote: »
    Hence why you should never beep at a pedestrian crossing the road........slow down and let them cross... .much better than them stopping and you knocking them down.

Exactly - sometimes it's much better to fly past an unsuspecting pedestrian in the bike lane as you can better predict their path. If you shout at them or whatever, you don't know what way they're going to jump, or they could freeze there. Obviously slowing down is better, but sometimes you don't have time to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 mistermaster

I’m 100% certain it’s contraflow as is the the same side of the bridge. It then crosses to the eternal flame and up Amiens st.

Well, I guess I'd better stop going the wrong way on it then! Thanks.
    I only go that way sometimes, and never realised this before. Funny that I've never actually met somebody coming the other "proper" direction though.
    Anyway, could still do with a sign at the end I entered from and where the video starts. Might help at least some drivers see too that a bike isn't actually supposed to be in that lane, so no point in blowing at them like taxi driver did in the video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Well, I guess I'd better stop going the wrong way on it then! Thanks.
    I only go that way sometimes, and never realised this before. Funny that I've never actually met somebody coming the other "proper" direction though.
    Anyway, could still do with a sign at the end I entered from and where the video starts. Might help at least some drivers see too that a bike isn't actually supposed to be in that lane, so no point in blowing at them like taxi driver did in the video.

I went up it before and met a cyclist coming the other way. There is definitely no room for two cyclists coming in opposing directions.

It makes sense that it is contra flow when you consider the design of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

That cycle lane has got to be one of the worst in the city. I have seen it flooded so many times and shocked it wasn't with the rain. Did the finally put a proper drain in it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Minor altercation with a taxi driver yesterday evening, interestingly no interest in waiting when i told him I'd happily wait for the Gardai. He said he wouldn't and I let him know in my politest french that of course he wouldn't wait because he knew he was a dangerous ^&*(.

To be fair to the bus driver in front, he told me violence never solves anything, and he was dead right, guess it was the straw that broke the camels back. Never hit the driver, even after he scared the sh1t out of me and skimmed by me blaring on the horn. He does need a new wing mirror, and I am currently typing one handed with a sore right hand in a glass of ice at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

^^

Did you take out his mirror or did he take you out with his mirror?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    ^^

Did you take out his mirror or did he take you out with his mirror?

I took out his mirror, I just snapped. I did say I would wait for the gardai. It was just his attitude, that because I was in the bus lane (for all of 100m, at 40kmph), which I had moved into when he was almost out of sight, and was indicating back in when he started beeping me and was a few cm from my wheel, not slowing. Somehow what he felt it was me being dangerous and that was justification for his behaviour. It was out of character, I started with a calm tone but the level of stupidity in his responses, I just flipped, told him what I though of him behaving like such a dangerous F***ol*. I asked him to call the gardai, gave him my name, and then I just hit the mirror. In those 3 seconds I let out alot of pent up frustration towards anyone who treats me like an annoyance rather than someone they simply do not know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

TBH, Im surprised this doesn't happen more often.

Cycled around the outside of 6 cars in a row approaching some lights yesterday morning, every driver on their phone, some of them still moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

CramCycle wrote: »
    I took out his mirror, I just snapped. I did say I would wait for the gardai. It was just his attitude, that because I was in the bus lane (for all of 100m, at 40kmph), which I had moved into when he was almost out of sight, and was indicating back in when he started beeping me and was a few cm from my wheel, not slowing. Somehow what he felt it was me being dangerous and that was justification for his behaviour. It was out of character, I started with a calm tone but the level of stupidity in his responses, I just flipped, told him what I though of him behaving like such a dangerous F***ol*. I asked him to call the gardai, gave him my name, and then I just hit the mirror. In those 3 seconds I let out alot of pent up frustration towards anyone who treats me like an annoyance rather than someone they simply do not know.

He might learn, hopefully, that menacing other road users is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭hesker

CramCycle wrote: »

Know how you feel. I snapped at a guy who I felt was putting my life in real danger for absolutely no reason. Didn’t hit anything but I let off a lot of steam. Then after relaying the incident here I had the additional pleasure of some asshole telling me that I over reacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

droidus wrote: »

Cycled around the outside of 6 cars in a row approaching some lights yesterday morning, every driver on their phone, some of them still moving.

Very odd that no action is taken on this. It would surely be simple to place phone jammers at all junctions and at random other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

hesker wrote: »
    Know how you feel. I snapped at a guy who I felt was putting my life in real danger for absolutely no reason. Didn’t hit anything but I let off a lot of steam. Then after relaying the incident here I had the additional pleasure of some asshole telling me that I over reacted.

Every time i have a near miss i have the classic reliving of the incident where i imagine that I punch the guys lights out or comeback with a killer one liner. In real life this never happens and i probably always come across as a stuttering buffoon.

There is also the chance that if you did react you might come across a total psycho and they might fookin hit you over the head with an iron bar, driver over you or stab you.

Some of the taxi drivers or other drivers out there wouldn't exactly be kind natured people who respect the law.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Very odd that no action is taken on this. It would surely be simple to place phone jammers at all junctions and at random other places.

Yeah, that's a terrible idea. No offence. But it would have a wider knock on than just drivers in cars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,872 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Rechuchote wrote: »
    how do you identify phones being used illegally by drivers, as opposed to those being used by passengers, or hands-free, or by nearby pedestrians?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Pretty sure that would be illegal for a whole host of reasons. It's an endemic problem though. Some of the worst behaviour has been detailed on this board.

Massive increase in penalties and no tolerance enforcement FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Fian

droidus wrote: »

This is why I am always very wary of moving between cars stopped or especially crawling in traffic when changing lanes. Need to cross three lanes as i approach the canal on Leeson street, to turn right down toward fitzwilliam square each morning. The fact that any collision is likely to be in slow motion would be of little comfort if I get crushed between the car of a guy on his phone and the car in front. I get really irritated at these plonkers who think keeping themselves amused/watching cat videos is more important than watching where they are steering two tons of metal. But this is the world we live in, need to adapt to it rather than just wishing it were different.

I have two sons preparing for their tests, taking them out frequently enough to practice atm. I am kind of surprised at myself how much my instructions to them drive along are coloured/informed by my experience on the bike more than my experience behind the wheel of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Garzard

Wish I'd had the helmet cam fitted this morning - in Rathmines a large SUV waiting to exit Leinster Square was poking far too inside the cycle lane; the cyclist right ahead of me made a sort of "WTF" gesture at her, which seemed fair enough. Coming up to Williams Park however, another motorist indicated into the cycle lane right in on top of the above cyclist, almost crushing them against the kerb. He immediately starting thumping the car, which then swerved out of the cycle lane in a panic. To my shock the cyclist sped up out of the cycle lane to get ahead of the car, then jammed the brakes to force the motorist to stop and stall - incredibly dangerous in that he was almost run over trying to pull that move. However the car managed to squeeze through and escape out of sight then into Williams Park, although not before receiving another kick from the guy. I've been cycling in the city for years and have never witnessed anything like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Garzard wrote: »
    Wish I'd had the helmet cam fitted this morning - in Rathmines a large SUV waiting to exit Leinster Square was poking far too inside the cycle lane; the cyclist right ahead of me made a sort of "WTF" gesture at her, which seemed fair enough. Coming up to Williams Park however, another motorist indicated into the cycle lane right in on top of the above cyclist, almost crushing them against the kerb. He immediately starting thumping the car, which then swerved out of the cycle lane in a panic. To my shock the cyclist sped up out of the cycle lane to get ahead of the car, then jammed the brakes to force the motorist to stop and stall - incredibly dangerous in that he was almost run over trying to pull that move. However the car managed to squeeze through and escape out of sight then into Williams Park, although not before receiving another kick from the guy. I've been cycling in the city for years and have never witnessed anything like that.
    This sounds like the cycle equivalent of those lads on YouTube who brake check artics in their VW Polos...

Regarding phones, I'd one the other morning. I'm coming around Hart's Corner from the city side heading towards Botanic Road, here. Here's a woman sitting in the bus lane in her car, meaning the bus that should be in the bus lane is sitting in the yellow box and blocking the junction for a full turn of the lights for traffic from the Finglas Road side. As I get the lights, the bus lane starts moving. I'm in the next lane over trying to go left into the bus lane, indicating, but Mrs is now driving her car inches from the back of my wheel, albeit in the lane to my left, and as I slow or speed up so does she.

I thought she was being an asshole deliberately. My mistake. Keeping pace with me was pure coincidence: she was texting and completely unaware of my presence at all. Well, until I roared at her to make her aware of it, waking the dead in Glasnevin cemetery in the process ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Weepsie wrote: »
    Yeah, that's a terrible idea. No offence. But it would have a wider knock on than just drivers in cars.

Yeah, it would stop all those people who keep walking out into the road, oblivious usually facing diagonally with their back to oncoming traffic as they stare into their screens, or blank-eyed into mid-air.

Probably a terrible idea, but I for one wouldn't weep if we had to return to the phone being something that sat at home and didn't accompany us all everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,709 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Pair of gobsh1tes at Sam Beckett bridge this evening. The cyclist was moving in anticipation of the green, and the oncoming car was trying to push through after the amber;

https://streamable.com/manor

And thanks to streamable for giving me a real word as the video ID for the first time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Concert on in the point this evening.

Taxi driver parked in the Port entrance, blocking both pedestrian and cycle lanes, so had to move out into main lane to pass him.

Moron starts to pull out as I’m passing. Me shouting “look out” spurred him to lean on the horn and roar a few expletives, and then accelerate out after me.

Idiot didn’t seem to realise the Garda standing just before the Eastlink was observing everything, and I was happy to see him getting pulled over as I continued off across the bridge.

No doubt the Garda didn’t do anything other than give him a talking too, because a Garda assigned to crowd supervision is never going to burden himself with unnecessary traffic paperwork, but hopefully it’ll teach the taxi driver to look in his bloody mirrors before pulling out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Pair of gobsh1tes at Sam Beckett bridge this evening. The cyclist was moving in anticipation of the green, and the oncoming car was trying to push through after the amber;

https://streamable.com/manor

And thanks to streamable for giving me a real word as the video ID for the first time!

Two idiots in that clip, the cyclist wasnt even due a green. But that junction is insane for red light breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

Two idiots in that clip, the cyclist wasnt even due a green. But that junction is insane for red light breaking.
    Cyclists do get a green light with peds on that sequence however they are supposed to be in the dedicated track rather than that general traffic lane. However most people heading northbound coming from Macken Street rightly remain in the general traffic lane.

Another amateur cyclist drug shock scandal

• Registered Users Posts: 28,709 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

however they are supposed to be in the dedicated track rather than that general traffic lane.

No, they're not. Cyclists can be in whatever lane they choose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

No, they're not. Cyclists can be in whatever lane they choose.
    A point I which I made in the proceeding sentence. The junction as a whole can be messy with peds and cyclists intersecting from different crossing points.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement